After Announcing Delay, No Man's Sky Dev Gets Death Threats

"I have received loads of death threats," Sean Murray says.

283 Comments

This week, Hello Games announced that its ambitious space-game No Man's Sky has been delayed from June to August--and not everyone was happy.

Designer Sean Murray said on Twitter that he's faced death threats in wake of the news. Here's what he had to say on the subject (via Polygon).

Kotaku broke the news of No Man's Sky's delay. The author of the story also reports he's received threats.

Previously, No Man's Sky was pegged to debut on June 21, but Hello Games confirmed on Friday that it's now coming in August. Specifically, it'll be out on August 9 in North America, followed by August 10 in Europe, and August 12 in the UK.

"We understand that this news is disappointing. Making this game is the hardest thing I’ve ever done in my life, but we are so close now, and we're prepared to make the tough choices to get it right," Murray explained about the delay.

"The universe of No Man's Sky is incredibly vast. More than you can imagine. This is a type of game that hasn't been attempted before, by a smaller team than anyone would expect, under an intense amount of expectation," he added.

In April, Murray talked about why No Man's Sky was almost canceled and shared a story about snubbing Kanye West (sort of).

Got a news tip or want to contact us directly? Email news@gamespot.com

Join the conversation
There are 283 comments about this story