The Broken 360 Thread v. 3 -- RROD, E74 Queries In Here.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#251 Posted by Caprellid (249 posts) -

i heard somewhere dont remember that if you are on ur fourth one already and u can prove it....they give u a free game/controller or whatever...you jus gotta b*tch b*tch B*tch to them..im sure if you talk to the right people it will work...might as well give it a try..i mean noone should have to go through 4 freakin xboxes.

#252 Posted by jhcho2 (4527 posts) -

Hey, any of you guys have been experiencing crashes with your xbox? i've been getting crashes since SF4. Now i'm getting it during RE5. The game crashes normally during cutscenes, for both SF4 and RE5. And if it crashes, it has a tendency to continue crashing. The catch is this. It's not an RROD.

When the crash happens, the game would just freeze with some spiking sound.

#253 Posted by mattg90520 (3115 posts) -
[QUOTE="jhcho2"]

Hey, any of you guys have been experiencing crashes with your xbox? i've been getting crashes since SF4. Now i'm getting it during RE5. The game crashes normally during cutscenes, for both SF4 and RE5. And if it crashes, it has a tendency to continue crashing. The catch is this. It's not an RROD.

hey check your disk. know how sometimes there will be very slight circles? well my re5 disk was messed up - it kept crashing around the same parts in chapter three. on the bask, the circles were splotchy and irregular. after a while, it caused my 360 to glitch starting up. i did exchange the disk but then my 360 got rrod
#254 Posted by Caprellid (249 posts) -

jhcho2

ive been gettin crashes lately too..but with gta IV..running on disk not hard drive instal...no lights..jus screeen completely freezes like how a computer would...gta did it a good 3 times already...it didnt seem to do it before.....and the disc is completely scratchless

#255 Posted by swaj123 (89 posts) -

Does anyone know what a "GPU re-flow" is? I assume this basically translates to "re-melting" the gpu soldering back into place..yes?

And... Has anyone had any experience with Best Buy doing this sort of repair? I just had my xbox repaired under a Best Buy warranty (waste of money, at least from what I can see) and I'm just wondering how effective this GPU re-flow is... Am I doomed to continually get the RROD?

Thanks!

#257 Posted by tarheels4789 (45 posts) -
I recently sent in my xbox 360 for the three red lights.. It was bought 2 and a half years ago and doesn't have HDMI. the console wasn't even at microsoft for a day before it got shipped back fixed. What do you think the odds are of me getting a refurbished xbox with HDMI?
#258 Posted by jhcho2 (4527 posts) -

[QUOTE="jhcho2"]

mattg90520

hey check your disk. know how sometimes there will be very slight circles? well my re5 disk was messed up - it kept crashing around the same parts in chapter three. on the bask, the circles were splotchy and irregular. after a while, it caused my 360 to glitch starting up. i did exchange the disk but then my 360 got rrod

You see, this happened once to my SF4. After some time, my SF4 had no problems. Now the crashes began for my Resident Evil 5. And when i insert back my SF4, it crashed to. I am beginning to think it isn't the disc. It could have been for the first crash, but subsequent crashes seem to occur even for other games which had no problems for some time. Seems like a faulty hardware problem.

#259 Posted by lukefunkytown (5 posts) -

Hey All!

I just got the E74 message and the red light in the bottom right, and tried unplugging and all that crap. What I found was that when the A/V cables were unplugged, the red light wouldn't show up anymore. Could this mean that I just have a faulty cable, or does it mean that the hardware that interacts with the cable is messed up?

Thanks a bunch!

#260 Posted by LogicImplosion (6 posts) -

Well, on my third day of playing RE5, the 360 started showing strange graphic errors, so I restarted it, and got the e 74 error. It's not temporary, and the problem isn't the AV cable. My standard 1 year warranty ran out a couple months ago, and the extended RROD warranty is no use here. I don't have money for a repair, and I keep reading about self-repairs going wrong. Hm...

I must say, this thread is pretty tragic. Almost like a console graveyard. My options here are not very favorable.

#261 Posted by XxSTILL_BORNxX (5749 posts) -
Does anybody know whats the fix for the open tray error? Even if its opening my 360, i'll take my chances....this is my second 360 btw.
#262 Posted by tarheels4789 (45 posts) -
how long does the extended warranty last on xbox 360s that microsoft send back?
#263 Posted by Toriko42 (27562 posts) -
how long does the extended warranty last on xbox 360s that microsoft send back?tarheels4789
3 months, mine came back beginning of February so I still got about a month and a week
#264 Posted by Apartment_Trash (36 posts) -

Hey Everyone,

First-time poster here.

I recently had one red light show up, did my research, fixed it myself by applying thermal compound to the GPU and CPU. Put it back together, and all seemed to be working fine again...for a few days. Then I received the RROD (3 red lights). I again took it apart to clean and apply more thermal compound. However, I must have done something horribly wrong because my Xbox 360 won't even power up anymore. I think I may have damaged the motherboard trying to pry loose the X-clamps. The image below highlights represents a part like (bot not this exact one) what I broke off. Could this possibly be why it won't power back on anymore?

Here is what I want to know....what are my options and which do you recommend? I have considered purchasing a new motherboard and drive (one is available on eBay with the Falcon chip for $119). But would that do the trick? I have also considered shelling out the $300 to purchase a brand new one, but I really don't have that kind of money at the moment. Is there an easy fix to my problems?

Here is the link to the eBay item I was referring to:

http://cgi.ebay.com/XBOX360-FALCON-Motherboard-Matching-Ben-Q-HDMI_W0QQitemZ110356865187QQcmdZViewItemQQptZVideo_Games?hash=item110356865187&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1546%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318%7C301%3A1%7C293%3A1%7C294%3A50

Please help. Sadly, my Xbox is an intricate part of my life, and I need it back. Besides, I JUST renewed my Xbox Live membership after fixing it the first time.

wkusigep460

Should have called XCS and gone through the steps to have it fixed properly. I bought mine for 200$ off a freind and had no proof of perchase or registration, and they said the warranty was expired. All I did was give them the serial number, my email, phone number, and adress and they renewed the warranty for free, fixed it for free, and even sent it back with a XBL Gold Membership for 1 month. All I had to do was get some tape, a cardboard box, and drive to the post office. Despite common horror stories, the Customer rep. guy was nice to me, we even had a conversation on how the 360 works and how mine could have got the RROD (I always thought it was due to a power surge from a lightning storm we had). I guess he was nice to me because my last name sounded Arabic and he had a slight Arabic accent. Either way, costed a hell of a lot less than some thermal compound and a new motherboard or a new console or whatever the hell else you did/are going to do. You screwed up.

#265 Posted by Apartment_Trash (36 posts) -

Our cat blocked the vent on my XBOX 360 while I was playing it... all the sudden the XBOX shuts off and is flashing the red rings. I let it cool off, then turned it back on and wouldn't work - no signal to the TV. So I turn it so that it's standing up (I always had it layed down before) and now it works! Has worked for weeks now, but if I lay it flat it will not work. Any explanation for this? Thanksthunkened

Was that a typo? You were actually dumb enough to let your cat block the vent long enough for a fatal oveheating? KEEP THE CAT AWAY FROM THE DAMN XBOX, SIMPLE!!!!

#266 Posted by LogicImplosion (6 posts) -

Hey All!

I just got the E74 message and the red light in the bottom right, and tried unplugging and all that crap. What I found was that when the A/V cables were unplugged, the red light wouldn't show up anymore. Could this mean that I just have a faulty cable, or does it mean that the hardware that interacts with the cable is messed up?

Thanks a bunch!

lukefunkytown

Wait! Could someone please answer this? I have the same thing happening, I tried another AV cable without success, but I am curious why the lights go away when the cable is unplugged, I know that the RROD stays on even if the cable has been removed, so this is puzzling.

#267 Posted by tony2077ca (5242 posts) -

[QUOTE="lukefunkytown"]

Hey All!

Thanks a bunch!

LogicImplosion

Wait! Could someone please answer this? I have the same thing happening, I tried another AV cable without success, but I am curious why the lights go away when the cable is unplugged, I know that the RROD stays on even if the cable has been removed, so this is puzzling.

idk but i got that a few days ago tried a new cable but no dice so it getting sent in today when ever my dad gets home from where ever he is
#268 Posted by violent_spinal (1734 posts) -

Ha!
I didn't even have own my 360 a full year, and it's already trashed.
I just got the E-74 error.:(

Now, I have to try and scrounge up and find that Best Buy PrP slip.
At least I'll get a free game, since the pro went down in price since I bought it.

I knew something was wrong.
I was playing Gears2 online, and these weird black fuzzies were all over the screen. I thought it was weird, but kept playing. Then, it was making this whining sound. I was going to get off, and my little brother wanted to play. I wanted to restart it, and look at it. I do that, and I turn it back on.

BAM!

I get one red light, and a funny looking pink screen.

#269 Posted by Avenger1324 (16344 posts) -
Damnit! :( Just went to start a new game (Battlefield Bad Company), got into my first match and then got the RROD - way to get the weekend off to a good start :cry: I've had the console (from new) for about 20 months, though it was manufactured back in Oct 2006 - so before any of the Falcon and Jasper updates. Been onto MS to request repairs, so now just got to box it up and wait for repairs. Soo many games I want to be playing right now, and no console to play them on
#270 Posted by tony2077ca (5242 posts) -
[QUOTE="Avenger1324"]Damnit! :( Just went to start a new game (Battlefield Bad Company), got into my first match and then got the RROD - way to get the weekend off to a good start :cry: I've had the console (from new) for about 20 months, though it was manufactured back in Oct 2006 - so before any of the Falcon and Jasper updates. Been onto MS to request repairs, so now just got to box it up and wait for repairs. Soo many games I want to be playing right now, and no console to play them on

well i got a e 74 and just sent it in today hope i didn't forget anything
#271 Posted by violent_spinal (1734 posts) -

I couldn't find the receipt for the PrP we bought, so I was about to go nuts.
Luckily, they kept it on file, and we just have to bring it in.

They want everything it came with, and I just for the life of me don't know where I put those A/V cables. If they're that worried about them, I could just take the new ones out of the box, and they could take those.

I'm actually thinking of just picking up an Arcade unit, and popping on my 120gb HDD. That would give me $150 store credit, instead of only the $50.

I don't need another HDD, so I would be picking up the PRO unit just for the chrome disc drive. :lol:
Not really worth it, imo.

#272 Posted by mattg90520 (3115 posts) -
whats the deal with the refurb 360s? what chipsets do you get and are they any good or reliable?
#273 Posted by tony2077ca (5242 posts) -
whats the deal with the refurb 360s? what chipsets do you get and are they any good or reliable?mattg90520
idk only way to find out is to get one
#274 Posted by XxSTILL_BORNxX (5749 posts) -

Does anybody know whats the fix for the open tray error? Even if its opening my 360, i'll take my chances....this is my second 360 btw. XxSTILL_BORNxX
Hmm, never mind. I answered my on question.

#275 Posted by gago-gago (9850 posts) -

Hey guys I just got RROD today 2009-03-21 with my refurbished Elite which was manufactured on 2007-06-17 so I doubt it had the most recent chip. I bought my frist Elite on 2007-04-29 and it lasted a year until 2008-02-14 when I got freezing problems and got a refurbished. So my refurbished Elite lasted for like a year also.

I went to xbox.com and the repair warranty for the refurbished shows it was expired but when I called xbox they said I can still get it repaired free. I know I should because I still have like 2010 before my real first 360's warranty expires.

The repair process is different now. You have to provide your own box and luckily I still had the repair box I had. I have to go to service.xbox.com and print out something and I guess stick it on the box.

I'll probably send it out by tomorrow.

#276 Posted by violent_spinal (1734 posts) -

Just got back with my new 360 a few hours ago.
They were being A-Holes at first. I gave them the box, and they plugged it in. But, only the powerbrick. So, they turn it on, and nothing happens. I was thinking, "Oh, Great." Then, the manager comes over, and asks me the error code. I thought he said area code, but told him my zip code for some reason. :lol:

Anyways, I told him E-74. He did something on their computer, and then they plugged in the A/V cables. There was the little red light! They told us to go pick a new one. So, then I sit for the next 15minutes trying to find the newest model they have on the floor. The newest one I could find was 2008-12-19. It was an arcade unit, which I had planned on picking up anyways. Everything else what manufactured in October.

So, I bring it up to the counter, and try to get this over with. Then she goes off on the A/V cables that I didn't bring back (I have no idea where they went when I upgraded to HDMI), and about the headset we didn't bring back. So, we have store credit, and I just say I'll go pick another headset off the floor. Done. We leave with $90 bucks. With the A/V cables, she just took those out of our Arcade set.

Funnily enough, those are just composite. We had component in with our PRO. Hehe.

Now, I have everything set back up. I just have to go through the painful process of license transfering. I say it's painful, because I have 500+ things to re-download. Though, it could be a little less, as I'm sure I deleted a number of the things in my download history.

Luckily, my little brother only has like 4things he has to re-download. I could do that in no time.

Oh, and I was happy to open it up, and see I have a Jasper.
I really do hope it's more reliable.

#277 Posted by tony2077ca (5242 posts) -

Just got back with my new 360 a few hours ago.
They were being A-Holes at first. I gave them the box, and they plugged it in. But, only the powerbrick. So, they turn it on, and nothing happens. I was thinking, "Oh, Great." Then, the manager comes over, and asks me the error code. I thought he said area code, but told him my zip code for some reason. :lol:

Anyways, I told him E-74. He did something on their computer, and then they plugged in the A/V cables. There was the little red light! They told us to go pick a new one. So, then I sit for the next 15minutes trying to find the newest model they have on the floor. The newest one I could find was 2008-12-19. It was an arcade unit, which I had planned on picking up anyways. Everything else what manufactured in October.

So, I bring it up to the counter, and try to get this over with. Then she goes off on the A/V cables that I didn't bring back (I have no idea where they went when I upgraded to HDMI), and about the headset we didn't bring back. So, we have store credit, and I just say I'll go pick another headset off the floor. Done. We leave with $90 bucks. With the A/V cables, she just took those out of our Arcade set.

Funnily enough, those are just composite. We had component in with our PRO. Hehe.

Now, I have everything set back up. I just have to go through the painful process of license transfering. I say it's painful, because I have 500+ things to re-download. Though, it could be a little less, as I'm sure I deleted a number of the things in my download history.

Luckily, my little brother only has like 4things he has to re-download. I could do that in no time.

Oh, and I was happy to open it up, and see I have a Jasper.
I really do hope it's more reliable.

violent_spinal

it should be i think its the newest one

#278 Posted by Temtamperu (310 posts) -

E74 drama for me this month... :(

#279 Posted by argetlam00 (6573 posts) -

Is it possible to "force" a RROD without voiding your warranty? The problem is that my XBOX 360 keeps freezing (screen freeze) about every 30 minutes (sometimes shorther other times longer intervals) and Microsoft'sstupid 'Troubleshooting' doesn't help at all. My standard warranty is up and I have no desire to pay $125 for them to fix my XBOX.

#280 Posted by MyFingerPoints (106 posts) -

I got the RROD and i tried for an online repair. i submitted my serial number and other info, But I said my serial number was already registered . I emailed support asking what i should do and he told me to re-registere my console without telling me really how to. Could some one tell me what to do?!?! Oh and im under warrenty

#281 Posted by kamikaze-jk (322 posts) -

Sorry for this dumb question, but do you take off the faceplate when you send it in.

#282 Posted by kozzy1234 (35329 posts) -

E74 drama for me this month... :(

Temtamperu

Its really unacceptable this E74 and RROD stuff :(

I sure do love all my 360 games collection and my friends on xboxlive, but the hardware is a sick joke ):

#284 Posted by tony2077ca (5242 posts) -

Sorry for this dumb question, but do you take off the faceplate when you send it in.

kamikaze-jk
only if a custom one
#285 Posted by mariokart64fan (19636 posts) -

i got a serious problem with my 360 it started when i first bought it firstt off i have 3 , , the one in question i bought just last xmas dec 3 08 ,,

it did not read rainbow six vegas does not ri-p music in to my now broken hard drive which im going to get to how it did break , ,

it now it worked aside from the above just 3 hrs ago, i took it to my room ,,

pluged everything in ,, ,

it worked for like i dont know 5 minutes, but it then shut it self off, the illuminater on my ac adapter, that came with my 360 , lit red,

looke on mses website it said over heating, how can my 360 be overheating when i jsut turned it on , ,

it also mentioned hardware failure,

which may be my case,

now in the process of this happening m,y network 360 adapter, the officail 1 i should add,

does not want to work on my 2nd 360 ,, so it may have been damaged when the 360 had its problem ,

also my hard drive i had connected to it does not work either, i put in on 2 other 360s, it gives me nothing it doesnt show up , ,love potion number 9 ,,, thats my 9th unit and counting

#286 Posted by mariokart64fan (19636 posts) -

Ha!
I didn't even have own my 360 a full year, and it's already trashed.
I just got the E-74 error.:(

Now, I have to try and scrounge up and find that Best Buy PrP slip.
At least I'll get a free game, since the pro went down in price since I bought it.

I knew something was wrong.
I was playing Gears2 online, and these weird black fuzzies were all over the screen. I thought it was weird, but kept playing. Then, it was making this whining sound. I was going to get off, and my little brother wanted to play. I wanted to restart it, and look at it. I do that, and I turn it back on.

BAM!

I get one red light, and a funny looking pink screen.

violent_spinal

well guess what i didnt even own this console for 5 months, and it wont turn on , , , , , , it broke my network adapter, and it cause hdd to fail , power overload maybe because of the ac adapter that came with it , i dont know but im go nna be making one big phone call, this is upseting this is hot off the heels of my other 360 having bein sent in , , but they did not repair it-walmart, ive just about had it,

#287 Posted by DJ_Magneto (4675 posts) -
So my console started acting up over the weekend. Everything was freezing after the console was on for about 2 or 3 minutes. Not just games, but the dashboard too. No way around it. I have experienced the RROD twice before but not these freezing problems. And I did notice some other strange behavior. Figured that the RROD was right around the corner. Since I bought my original on launch day more than 3 years ago, my original extended warranty is up. So instead of calling MS again to go through the whole replacement process a third time which would now probably cost me more than $150, I ended up dropping the money for a brand new Arcade console as a replacement. And I got the 2 year replacement plan from Best Buy which is a helluva lot easier to deal with than calling MS. Seemless transition. I just plugged in my HDD. Still got the 20GB but I'll eventually upgrade. Nice thing now, I have an HDMI port. And with the Arcade console I have an extra 256 MB built-in, in addition to the HDD.
#288 Posted by akobi (34 posts) -

And somehow the 360 continues to be labeled as the greatest thing in the world. tsk..

#289 Posted by DJ_Magneto (4675 posts) -

And somehow the 360 continues to be labeled as the greatest thing in the world. tsk..

akobi
Who ever said that Sony boy?
#290 Posted by akobi (34 posts) -

Some idiot in another forum. I told him straight my folding box is good for one thing staying on for days on end. Just folding away it's life.

#291 Posted by Sleezinator (87 posts) -
I just purchased my third xbox after being riddled with various error's causing me to part ways with my system and wanted to share a nice trick to scoring a 3 year warranty. I bought an Arcade system from Target for the 199.99 price. Target will warranty any electronic item under 200 dollars. Because this made it by a penny, I now can have them replace my system anytime in the next three years hastle free and it was only an additional 19.99. Sure beats dealing with Microsoft. thought I'd just share that considering the MASSIVE failure rating of the 360.
#292 Posted by Magnol49 (458 posts) -

Hell. Just got the RROD. Console was manufactured on 05/19/2006. Better now than later I guess since it's still covered for free repair. Thing is, I just bought an HDTV a few days ago. Was playing it on a standard tv before that. Can't help but think the new tv/16:9 1080 settings had something to do with the RROD? Never had a single problem before that.

Gonnaship it off tomorrow. Do I send them the power cord and brick -or just the console and nothing else?

#293 Posted by btiplling (200 posts) -

I just got RROD. I have the special Halo edition. I guess I'll get it fixed, but I'm not going to wait a month. I'm going to get an Arcade. Do I have to send my hard drive in with the xbox? I have two hard drives, one from when I upgraded previously.

#294 Posted by tony2077ca (5242 posts) -

Some idiot in another forum. I told him straight my folding box is good for one thing staying on for days on end. Just folding away it's life.

akobi
it is when it works
#295 Posted by btiplling (200 posts) -

I had the weird graphics glitches prior to the RROD too. Does this mean it's toast, even though it works now? Anything I can do to prevent the inevitable?

#296 Posted by tony2077ca (5242 posts) -

I had the weird graphics glitches prior to the RROD too. Does this mean it's toast, even though it works now? Anything I can do to prevent the inevitable?

btiplling
pray?
#297 Posted by kamikaze-jk (322 posts) -

Will Microsoft give me a free month of Gold when I get back the system, and also if they give me a refurbished unit, will it contain the Jasper chip? Sorry for posting a too many questions!:P

#298 Posted by TraVo912 (32 posts) -
Why does my disc ejects randomly while i am playing games or watching movies. and how do i fix it?
#299 Posted by Heythatsmychair (83 posts) -
The people that Xbox broke. Do you all download the games to your hard drive? Was wondering if it helps. Now that I can download the games to my hard drive I took off my fan and just download my games before playing them. Wondering if anyone has had a broken machine doing this yet? What is cool about this is that I barely hear my Xbox now.
#300 Posted by Kyro (44 posts) -

just wondering, late last year me and my bf decided to finally phone xbox to get a migration kit as I have been hogging his bigger hd though it was meant for him. after phoning xbox apparently we couldn't get access because of security reasons, though his information was somewhat correct it wasn't at the same time and we found it difficult to talk to call centre people who eventually accused my bf of being a fraud and several times we asked for a supervisor.

we gave up after about an hour on the phone, I decided I wanted to play a game but magically after turning on the xbox, the ring of death appeared. has anyone else had a similar problem? as it is just too coincidental that he got the ring of death (and before the phone call I was also playing with his xbox which is an elite (or was))