why do people kiss up to online racists

• 57 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

lennyh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 lennyh
Member since 2005 • 1216 Posts
?
Agent_Kaliaver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#2 Agent_Kaliaver
Member since 2004 • 4722 Posts

Don't know what you mean about kissing up to online racists exactly, but i either mute anyone who annoys me (which is 90% of the people) or i just turn down the sound.... problem fixed.

Still though don't know what you mean.

shaunchgo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 shaunchgo
Member since 2006 • 4605 Posts
I usually mute them - I do not want to hear that nonsense. I don't understand what you mean by "kissing up" to them. You'd have to be an idiot to kiss up to someone like that.
steveo2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 steveo2000
Member since 2003 • 72 Posts
this is why im so looking forward to the 8 person party chat. I will never have to listen to anyone not on my friends list ever again.
80bb1t1042

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 80bb1t1042
Member since 2007 • 675 Posts
well imo i dont really know why people kiss up to them. i think its more children than anyone else. in alot of ways if its children they think what they hear is cool so they copy it.
sToK3d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 sToK3d
Member since 2006 • 418 Posts
It's because of deindividuation; in other words, they feel anonymous, and do things they otherwise wouldn't do.
usule

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 usule
Member since 2003 • 1734 Posts

this is why im so looking forward to the 8 person party chat. I will never have to listen to anyone not on my friends list ever again.steveo2000

Agreed! can't wait for the 8 person party chat...

Avatar image for killer_rabbit20
killer_rabbit20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 killer_rabbit20
Member since 2008 • 851 Posts
I don't get why so many people on Xbox Live are racist. There was this one guy on there just repeating an offensive word of "black person" and every one thought he was retarded. It's really stupid, and the people who think they are cool are like 8 year olds, or 8 year olds in the body of an older person. I'm not racist and i think racist people are retarded in my opinion.
Trickshot771

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Trickshot771
Member since 2005 • 12686 Posts
^ it's because of the anoninimity of xbox live. People say whatever they want.
naruto7777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10 naruto7777
Member since 2007 • 8059 Posts
because they thinks its cool
adders99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 adders99
Member since 2005 • 2623 Posts

[QUOTE="steveo2000"]this is why im so looking forward to the 8 person party chat. I will never have to listen to anyone not on my friends list ever again.usule

will you be able to use the party chat in game though?

PacBoy23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 PacBoy23
Member since 2004 • 9505 Posts
[QUOTE="usule"]

[QUOTE="steveo2000"]this is why im so looking forward to the 8 person party chat. I will never have to listen to anyone not on my friends list ever again.adders99

yeah you can im sure.

jmthornsburg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 jmthornsburg
Member since 2003 • 102 Posts
What are you even talking about?
IIJuggaNottII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#14 IIJuggaNottII
Member since 2008 • 1907 Posts
I never understood that either. They have a room full of guys, one guys shows how stupid/ignorant he can be by saying something off the wall. Majority of guys act as if hes their "NEW" best friend in the world. I never understood that. Maybe because I have my own set of friends and dont search for friends on XBL.
SaintJotun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 SaintJotun
Member since 2008 • 176 Posts
I dont have a problem.
GrandLion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 GrandLion
Member since 2008 • 43 Posts
I really only see this in Call of Duty 4 or games people really do not play. Then it is just a bunch of little kids that just follow each other.
Matt-4542

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Matt-4542
Member since 2008 • 8002 Posts
Thats why I only play multiplayer with friends, and if none are on I dont use my mics :lol:
Danold

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#18 Danold
Member since 2005 • 3174 Posts
[QUOTE="usule"]

[QUOTE="steveo2000"]this is why im so looking forward to the 8 person party chat. I will never have to listen to anyone not on my friends list ever again.adders99

I dont believe so, the whole point there was only 2 person chat is so people could not cheat in clan matches. such as one player dies and informs the team where every other enemy is. For that reason I think part chat is limited to dashboard and arcade games, otherwise it would effect MLG greatly.

IIJuggaNottII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 IIJuggaNottII
Member since 2008 • 1907 Posts

Thats why I only play multiplayer with friends, and if none are on I dont use my mics :lol:Matt-4542

I got tired of racist online, so I did the same thing. It lasted for about a day, that just takes the fun out of it. Face it.....if everyone on XBL had respect for each other, better yet themselves it would be outstanding. I guess thats true with the world. Shows us how crazy the world can be.

Avatar image for The-King-of-FPS
The-King-of-FPS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 The-King-of-FPS
Member since 2007 • 769 Posts
I've also noticed 95% of the time it's a cacusion person being racist or causing problems.
KreepLX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 KreepLX
Member since 2004 • 313 Posts
I would gladly walk down a alley with minorities and feel safe as a kitten.
craigalan23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 craigalan23
Member since 2006 • 15879 Posts
People are racist because you let them bother you. Most probably aren't even racist they're ****s. They know that racism offends a lot of people. Mute them and drop it they'll stop. If people would simply mute/file complaint/avoid then there'd be less annoying ****s.
halo12003

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 halo12003
Member since 2004 • 278 Posts
because theyre usually little kids who wont shut up no matter wat u say
Avatar image for YourChaosIsntMe
YourChaosIsntMe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 YourChaosIsntMe
Member since 2007 • 1228 Posts

People espouse racist views online because, in short, anonymity bars others from retaliating.

Secondly, people (ranging from children to adults) emulate or validate this behaviour for a number of reasons, most of which are rather complex. For instance, a general study in race relations through Culutural Anthropology (with reference to Pyschology) will provide information on WHY the majority of these people are either of European or African descent (hahaha! so politically correct....). Our collective cultural or national history, regardless of whatever "liberal" or "P.C." ideologies or status quos have been adopted, still informs what could be called "race relations." While the integration of various ethnicities and cultures within the greater dominant culture can contribute to multi-cultural unity, compassion, or understanding, it can also have the opposite effect. Also, there are other factors that contribute to parochial perspectives on "race" such as family history, region of origin, and socio-economic status. Furthermore, while children and the unintelligent comprise the majority of this group, there are exceptions, especially in the world of online interaction. What's worse is that humans, like all other animals, are predisposed to engage in group think. A major reason why you will find more white kids saying "Ni**ger" than black or Latino kids saying "peckerwood....honky...." or "gringo" is that the majority of Xbox 360 owners are in fact white. Remember, I'm white, so I can spell out the entirety of peckerwood, honky, and gringo. Assuming that white people tend to be more racist than black people because of this is a slippery slope, a fallacy.

I hope that was an adequate answer?

KreepLX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 KreepLX
Member since 2004 • 313 Posts

People espouse racist views online because, in short, anonymity bars others from retaliating.

Secondly, people (ranging from children to adults) emulate or validate this behaviour for a number of reasons, most of which are rather complex. For instance, a general study in race relations through Culutural Anthropology (with reference to Pyschology) will provide information on WHY the majority of these people are either of European or African descent (hahaha! so politically correct....). Our collective cultural or national history, regardless of whatever "liberal" or "P.C." ideologies or status quos have been adopted, still informs what could be called "race relations." While the integration of various ethnicities and cultures within the greater dominant culture can contribute to multi-cultural unity, compassion, or understanding, it can also have the opposite effect. Also, there are other factors that contribute to parochial perspectives on "race" such as family history, region of origin, and socio-economic status. Furthermore, while children and the unintelligent comprise the majority of this group, there are exceptions, especially in the world of online interaction. What's worse is that humans, like all other animals, are predisposed to engage in group think. A major reason why you will find more white kids saying "Ni**ger" than black or Latino kids saying "peckerwood....honky...." or "gringo" is that the majority of Xbox 360 owners are in fact white. Remember, I'm white, so I can spell out the entirety of peckerwood, honky, and gringo. Assuming that white people tend to be more racist than black people because of this is a slippery slope, a fallacy.

YourChaosIsntMe

What are your thoughts on stereotyping? By judging the race, behavior, and clothes of a person, does that make a person a racist? I mean, you would not expect a group of people dressed like gang-bangers to actually be gang-bangers? You would be expecting a certain reaction to your presence. Forcing people to eliminate their defence mechacnism would be dentramental to their well being, wouldn't it?

YourChaosIsntMe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 YourChaosIsntMe
[QUOTE="YourChaosIsntMe"]

KreepLX

What are your thoughts on stereotyping? By judging the race, behavior, and clothes of a person, does that make a person a racist? I mean, you would not expect a group of people dressed like gang-bangers to actually be gang-bangers? You would be expecting a certain reaction to your presence. Forcing people to eliminate their defence mechacnism would be dentramental to their well being, wouldn't it?

By definition judging their race or by their race would make that person a racist, wouldn't it? Or do you mean judging what their race may be over Live based upon their behavior and vocabulary? I don't believe judging a person by their behavior, attire, mannerisms, or cultural identity is explicitly racist, and is quite natural for the very reason that you stated (defense mechanisms through cultural, subcultural, or countercultural identity). The individual judging is viewing the situation from his/her cultural subjectivity while he/she (or they) being judged reacts in a manner consistent with their cultural subjectivity. This, in my opinion, is one of the factors that contribute to the complexity of "race relations." We can probably assume that many individuals that contribute to racism, ethnocentrism, sexism, etc. are not specifically bigots consciously or unconsciously. As a comparable example, how many men do you think are consciously contributing to sexism and heterosexism on a daily basis? How many do so in spite? All of this serves to underline the detrimental effect that group think has on society at large. I suppose a consideration like that is the essence of why academics only go so far; sometimes the human condition craps on the virtuous possibilities. Even if it is a justifiable defense mechanism, such noticeable (and arbitrary) cultural divisions within a society are clearly detrimental. While some racists (either Marcus Garvey or Robert Byrd, take your pick) assert(ed) a belief in seperation and even expatriation (forced or voluntary) as a solution to the issues of racism and its influencing factors, that's such a parochial viewpoint that it doesn't even warrant consideration as a valid option. So how do we alleviate cultural divisions entirely? How do we address the ever-increasing minority that express racist views in our "modern" culture (whether they be from Latino, African, Asian, Native, or European Americans..or other groups in another nation/state/region, I just noticed that you spelled defense with a "c," so you're obviously from the UK/Ireland...)?

Trickshot771

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Trickshot771
Member since 2005 • 12686 Posts
^ it was a typo. We're on the internet, after all.
Danold

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Danold

^ it was a typo. We're on the internet, after all.Trickshot771

:lol: he tried to be real clever there, i didnt read his whole wall of text but i liked your reply.

BlueLantern08

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 BlueLantern08
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts
Its all an act to be cool...or to stand out on xbox live and the young kids thinks its cool, but some people just be trippen off the situation to make the other person looks bad. I am black and I say n***a word alot, i even call some white people that its a habit, which i need to stop. but i tell them dont take its serious but if it offends you i will stop cuz i respect your thoughts of that word so.......i say if someone is tryin to be racist use it against dem and make them look bad or just simply MUTE them as sum of the people above me are saying.....
masiisam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 masiisam
Member since 2003 • 5723 Posts
[QUOTE="adders99"][QUOTE="usule"]

[QUOTE="steveo2000"]this is why im so looking forward to the 8 person party chat. I will never have to listen to anyone not on my friends list ever again.Danold

I dont believe so, the whole point there was only 2 person chat is so people could not cheat in clan matches. such as one player dies and informs the team where every other enemy is. For that reason I think part chat is limited to dashboard and arcade games, otherwise it would effect MLG greatly.

Ahh....I can see your point...but AIM would do the same thing or just have a conference call with your clan...If you are going to cheat in a match.....you will find a way....

Gokuja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Gokuja
Member since 2005 • 3767 Posts
[QUOTE="Danold"][QUOTE="adders99"][QUOTE="usule"]

[QUOTE="steveo2000"]this is why im so looking forward to the 8 person party chat. I will never have to listen to anyone not on my friends list ever again.masiisam

Ahh....I can see your point...but AIM would do the same thing or just have a conference call with your clan...If you are going to cheat in a match.....you will find a way....

exactly, if you want to cheat you can cheat. And you can 2way chat with ppl on ur team in a matter of seconds, or be chatting the whole way through and only run with that guy ur chatting with. BUT allowing 8 person chat would make it much easier, the people who wouldnt go through the hassle of communicating otherwise would most likely do so with a group chat function on xbl during a game. It would increase the problem IMO

jbisco25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#32 jbisco25
Member since 2004 • 976 Posts
that's why i only talk to the people on my friends list, so don't have to listen to all that C##p.
masiisam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 masiisam
Member since 2003 • 5723 Posts
[QUOTE="masiisam"][QUOTE="Danold"][QUOTE="adders99"][QUOTE="usule"]

[QUOTE="steveo2000"]this is why im so looking forward to the 8 person party chat. I will never have to listen to anyone not on my friends list ever again.Gokuja

exactly, if you want to cheat you can cheat. And you can 2way chat with ppl on ur team in a matter of seconds, or be chatting the whole way through and only run with that guy ur chatting with. BUT allowing 8 person chat would make it much easier, the people who wouldnt go through the hassle of communicating otherwise would most likely do so with a group chat function on xbl during a game. It would increase the problem IMO

Believe me I understand what you are saying...but the point is moot....The tech we are talking about is AIM and conference calling...All phones have the ability and who does not have AIM..

It comes down to a moral issue...and people that will cheat will do so....and the people that will not cheat are not going to just because of a private chat feature...

The amount of "casual" players far outweigh the players that participate in a MLG event..and the benefit of the feature exceeds the possible event that people would use it to cheat..

In any event I am sure MLG would easily implement a systems to ensure it is not used for cheating..simply by have the ref's assign players numbers and verbally check the players to ensure no one is on a "private" line...

Star-Killer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Star-Killer
Member since 2008 • 1883 Posts

I don't get why so many people on Xbox Live are racist. There was this one guy on there just repeating an offensive word of "black person" and every one thought he was retarded. It's really stupid, and the people who think they are cool are like 8 year olds, or 8 year olds in the body of an older person. I'm not racist and i think racist people are retarded in my opinion.killer_rabbit20

You're correct and as an African American gamer I would like to say that when a person has to bring there real life personal issues into a game then they need psychological help.

deadbiff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 deadbiff
Member since 2004 • 652 Posts

I've also noticed 95% of the time it's a cacusion person being racist or causing problems.The-King-of-FPS

You can tell that over a microphone?

6matt6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 6matt6
Member since 2005 • 9726 Posts

It's because of deindividuation; in other words, they feel anonymous, and do things they otherwise wouldn't do.sToK3d

Yeah I doubt many people on XBL are actually real racists. They just feel they can get away with it so they do it.

TX360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#37 TX360
Member since 2008 • 4051 Posts
i mute anyone that is either screaming or being racist etc
Reanskinz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Reanskinz
Member since 2005 • 39 Posts
Ive come across a few racists whilst playn before. Just mute em and kill em lol
iboo01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#39 iboo01
Member since 2007 • 2784 Posts
No clue man
rda425

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 rda425
Member since 2008 • 70 Posts
racist people are dumb, they just use it to make themselves feel powerful/able to piss someone off, the best way to do is just be above them first off, muting them on xbl works, playing into their $#!% doesn't work and is what they want, a reaction. Its a retarded way of getting attention. Ussually comes froms the parents also... you should seriously need a liscense to breed. it would fix so many problems...
YourChaosIsntMe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 YourChaosIsntMe

^ it was a typo. We're on the internet, after all.Trickshot771

The chances are that it wasn't a typo. You see, Typos usually include letters adjacent to the intended letter. Look at your keyboard. Do you see "s" and "c" next to each other? No? Wow! Maybe you do not know this, but the differences between American English and British English are minute and obscure. In fact, "defence" is the correct spelling, as is "defense." You're not being clever, and neither is the dolt that validated your asinine response.

Danold, the fact that you didn't read the text speaks volumes about yourself. If you had, you would have realized that I wasn't "being clever." Instead, I was relating what I said to a non-American perspective (note that my posts specifically related to race relations in the US). His reply was sophomoric, and your appreciation of his reply is, in kind, sophomoric.

You didn't like my wall of text, and I don't like your simple-minded quips. Go figure.

BLAS1AN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 BLAS1AN
Member since 2003 • 3508 Posts
online gaming allows the coward racists to hide behind a mic and spit there words. i fight back at them to make them feel stupid. there so ignorant they have no clue how many things they use were invented by blacks like the cell phone and
air conditioner.
chaoz-king

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#43 chaoz-king
Member since 2005 • 5956 Posts
Well I usually mute everyone but the friends I am playing with it. But I played with this one guy that was African American and he said the "N" word about 7 zillion times he was pretty annoying. But to you topic? I dont know what you mean?
nicknees93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 nicknees93
Member since 2005 • 3250 Posts
I don't get why so many people on Xbox Live are racist. There was this one guy on there just repeating an offensive word of "black person" and every one thought he was retarded. It's really stupid, and the people who think they are cool are like 8 year olds, or 8 year olds in the body of an older person. I'm not racist and i think racist people are retarded in my opinion.killer_rabbit20
i think i was in that game with you. call of duty 4 match? :lol: i'm sure it happens a lot but thats kind of specific.
Danold

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Danold

[QUOTE="Trickshot771"]^ it was a typo. We're on the internet, after all.YourChaosIsntMe

The chances are that it wasn't a typo. You see, Typos usually include letters adjacent to the intended letter. Look at your keyboard. Do you see "s" and "c" next to each other? No? Wow! Maybe you do not know this, but the differences between American English and British English are minute and obscure. In fact, "defence" is the correct spelling, as is "defense." You're not being clever, and neither is the dolt that validated your asinine response.

Danold, the fact that you didn't read the text speaks volumes about yourself. If you had, you would have realized that I wasn't "being clever." Instead, I was relating what I said to a non-American perspective (note that my posts specifically related to race relations in the US). His reply was sophomoric, and your appreciation of his reply is, in kind, sophomoric.

You didn't like my wall of text, and I don't like your simple-minded quips. Go figure.

:lol: I dont know you so theres no point in being offended by anything you said. But obviously what I had to say took a toll on you because you decided to break down your wall, and I like to think you did that just for me. Either way you're so full of yourself that nobody will take you seriously even the people who take the time to read what you have to say, because its not important or informative, just a way for you to feel good about yourself...

Using big words doesnt make you any cooler by the way, especially on a forum. Like Trickshot said before, we're on the internet afterall.

Swampfox23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Swampfox23
Member since 2007 • 43 Posts
^ Wow that shut him up. Man that guy was annoying.
GodLovesDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#47 GodLovesDead
Member since 2007 • 9755 Posts
Protip: Just because someone says the n-word doesn't make them racist.
YourChaosIsntMe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 YourChaosIsntMe
[QUOTE="YourChaosIsntMe"]

[QUOTE="Trickshot771"]^ it was a typo. We're on the internet, after all.Danold

:lol: I dont know you so theres no point in being offended by anything you said. But obviously what I had to say took a toll on you because you decided to break down your wall, and I like to think you did that just for me. Either way you're so full of yourself that nobody will take you seriously even the people who take the time to read what you have to say, because its not important or informative, just a way for you to feel good about yourself...

Using big words doesnt make you any cooler by the way, especially on a forum. Like Trickshot said before, we're on the internet afterall.

I didn't know that I sounded hurt? I thought I was just being pompous?

Being irreverent and crass doesn't make you any cooler, by the way, though it does in the minds of people such as Swampfox on forums, so I guess that's working out for you. You see, using big words just means that I have an accomplished diction, and using phrases like "big words" just makes you a moron. I did seem to touch a nerve, because that was a bit rambling for you, wasn't it? Also, I have an extensive education in Psychology, so don't convince yourself that you're fooling me. Simply replying to my response implies that I offended you (my bet is on your mirror self-image and ego). No one will take you seriously until you stop using run-on sentences, well...no one with any merit will. I've actually had numerous people express appreciation for my views, and even suggest that I blog and tag many of the topics I post on. You're also very astute in your appraisal of my personality; I am pompous and arrogant. So why even state that something you said "took a toll?" Usually, people with egos as big as mine are untouchable, at least in our own minds. It's hard to hurt the feelings of a megalomaniac. You're misinterpreting wanton spite as an emotional response, which is a grand mistake on your part. On the other hand, I don't think I'm misinterpreting your allusions toward indifference. You see, you were anything but indifferent and unaffected by my response. You wouldn't have responded had it been irrelevant to you. I respond to anyone that questions my intelligence, on the other hand, and usually do so without emotion or offense. Why? Because I have a Christ complex.

No Swampfox, inept people don't have the ability to shut me up, in fact, no one does. I simply have responsibilities that bar me from returning and replying in a timely fashion. Excuse me for changing the turbo on my Jetta and getting everything organized for next semester.

P.S. I'm only annoying if what I say goes beyond the scope of your intellectual capacity. Do you expect me to express my ideas in an idiot friendly manner? Should I strive to sound like a simpleton too? I've ALWAYS wanted to be a laymen. Jesus Christ, people are so predictable.

Dude, racism is BAD. Man, considering racism in an academic capacity with greater scope than is common is so annoying. Would that have made me more personable? Black people and white people should like each other dude.

Wellfedmonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#49 Wellfedmonkey
Member since 2006 • 1477 Posts
Privacy settings set to friends only. If you dont have any friends then start making some cause its a great feature.
Reanskinz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Reanskinz
Member since 2005 • 39 Posts
...--