Why do people buy singleplayer games?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

nate_c-12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#101 nate_c-12
Member since 2008 • 3072 Posts
This thread is full of fail.
KorruptRaiden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#102 KorruptRaiden
Member since 2008 • 878 Posts

[QUOTE="KorruptRaiden"]Why do people buy multiplayer games? they are extremely repetative? Seriously are you that ridiculously blind? I am going to take your advice and not buy final fantasy 13 but rent it for 2 weeks and pay probably $100 in late fees because it will take that long to finish therefore paying more than the game is actually worth and not actually owning the game.DranzarTypeF

YOU WIN THE THREAD.

Too true.
BigCat2K20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#103 BigCat2K20
Member since 2004 • 426 Posts

Why do people buy multiplayer games? they are extremely repetative? Seriously are you that ridiculously blind? I am going to take your advice and not buy final fantasy 13 but rent it for 2 weeks and pay probably $100 in late fees because it will take that long to finish therefore paying more than the game is actually worth and not actually owning the game.KorruptRaiden

That's an excellent point & I buy singleplayer games for replay-ability. The only game I'll play online is Call Of Duty 4 & Modern Warfare 2. What's the point of wasting games that has half baked single-player mode & awesome multiplayer mode?

KorruptRaiden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#104 KorruptRaiden

[QUOTE="KorruptRaiden"]Why do people buy multiplayer games? they are extremely repetative? Seriously are you that ridiculously blind? I am going to take your advice and not buy final fantasy 13 but rent it for 2 weeks and pay probably $100 in late fees because it will take that long to finish therefore paying more than the game is actually worth and not actually owning the game.BigCat2K20

That's an excellent point & I buy singleplayer games for replay-ability. The only game I'll play online is Call Of Duty 4 & Modern Warfare 2. What's the point of wasting games that has half baked single-player mode & awesome multiplayer mode?

Yeah I know what you mean. Both multi and single player games have their ups and downs and different people will have their own opinion on what is better. I personally buy games based on their stories, hence why I rate mass effect, final fantasy, etc. Multiplayer games I will buy if they are significantly 'good' such as modern warfare 2, but I am done with MW2 already, just plain bored. I have played almost 30 hours of it, compare that to my history in single player games where I have clocked about 70 on mass effect for example, and I am considering re-playing the game.
buttslaya617z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#105 buttslaya617z
Member since 2009 • 233 Posts

This is the dumbest topic ever. I didn't read the six pages of posts, but I assume everyone is saying the same.

XxTheFuryxX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#106 XxTheFuryxX
Member since 2009 • 81 Posts

I wanted to write a snarky comment but I was so blown away at the sheer stupidty I couldn't type.

wwervin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#107 wwervin
Member since 2003 • 10274 Posts
If by "single player games" you mean games utilizing ONLY single player and nothing at all with multiplayer, then there's a very good reason we buy them. Games that are focused only on single player tend to have a more deep and compelling story, and better gameplay than anything that has to be split up into 2 sections because of online multiplayer. Yes.. I'm looking at you CoD games.. Honestly.. what you said about beating the main story and returning it.. that only applies to games like CoD where the campaign doesn't last over 5 hours. Games that are single player only tend to have lengthier stories and are generally more fun to play through a second time. But I guess you don't know what that's like.. go back to your FPS games. You won't know what you're missing.
CTR360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#108 CTR360
Member since 2007 • 9150 Posts
i buy consoles for single player games i dont like multi player and online games
RockStarr16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#109 RockStarr16
Member since 2010 • 25 Posts
[QUOTE="DranzarTypeF"]

[QUOTE="KorruptRaiden"]Why do people buy multiplayer games? they are extremely repetative? Seriously are you that ridiculously blind? I am going to take your advice and not buy final fantasy 13 but rent it for 2 weeks and pay probably $100 in late fees because it will take that long to finish therefore paying more than the game is actually worth and not actually owning the game.KorruptRaiden

YOU WIN THE THREAD.

Too true.

I agree 100%
Palantas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#110 Palantas
Member since 2002 • 15329 Posts

Anybody notice how there's this topic and the "What games single player campaign have you re-played the most?" thread both on the front page? There's no shortage of people getting a lot of value from a single-player game.

Avatar image for BloodSeeker1337
BloodSeeker1337

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#111 BloodSeeker1337
Member since 2009 • 1278 Posts
Because they're fun; not many people prefer MP Games since people don't have a fast connection for decent mp gaming
Timesplitt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112 Timesplitt
Member since 2004 • 367 Posts

i was satified with mass effect, dragon ages time, and im replaying them becuase they were that good.

now if only i could play as joker in batman.A (story) havent touched batman A since i beat it on hard

MadSavage22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113 MadSavage22
Member since 2009 • 587 Posts

I think it comes down to how u appreciate your games. I remember playing The Legend of Zelda OoT more than a hundred times and that game doesnt have multiplayer. I remember the first day I got Majoras Mask I played through it beat and then played it again to collect everything. I also LOVE my multiplayer games, the thrill of mowing down enemies and having a challenge again and again its pretty bad ass. Like I said you just have to understand and respect each game for what it is and either love it or hate it...In my case I love both why not have your cake and eat it too?? lol

Senor_Kami

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114 Senor_Kami
Member since 2008 • 8529 Posts
I buy them because I enjoy them a lot.
skeeter1255

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#115 skeeter1255
Member since 2005 • 2669 Posts

[QUOTE="mywii1999"]

[QUOTE="Pdiddy105"]

is this thread for real...

Coldzboy

I think it is but it just seems like a bad joke.

A bad joke? :$ this isn't even a joke at all, because you like to waste money buying singleplayer games doesn't mean that everyone wants to...

If they have money to buy what they want the leave them alone...

sure there are a couple of bad games i bot that were never worth 60.. but imagine renting DA, you would have to rent it like about 100 times

OfficialBed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116 OfficialBed
Member since 2005 • 17668 Posts

Just rent it, beat it, and return it. I'm getting annoyed reading about people wishing they never bought a certain singleplayer game for $60. And with the lengths of campaigns these days on average, it's not even worth it.

Coldzboy

Talk for yourself. I never rent games. I buy them all. And why does it matter how lengthy the game is? To me, I don't care how long the single player campaign is. The main focus is if I'm having fun or not.

AnubisNohman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117 AnubisNohman
Member since 2006 • 88 Posts

Some times you just wanna sit back and kill a whole bunch of Las Plagas..... and sometimes you just don't wanna deal with all the people on-line...... and sometimes you don't wanna wait four hours for your x-box to find a match..... and sometimes you just plain hate people (the bad days happen, and sometimes there is no ice cream).... and sometimes you suck at multiplayer... theres many reasons people don't play online and we're sorry if you feel victimized by people venting their complaints on an online forum if they are depressed about their situation. They were just letting of steam like you are man.

AnubisNohman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118 AnubisNohman
Member since 2006 • 88 Posts
If by "single player games" you mean games utilizing ONLY single player and nothing at all with multiplayer, then there's a very good reason we buy them. Games that are focused only on single player tend to have a more deep and compelling story, and better gameplay than anything that has to be split up into 2 sections because of online multiplayer. Yes.. I'm looking at you CoD games.. Honestly.. what you said about beating the main story and returning it.. that only applies to games like CoD where the campaign doesn't last over 5 hours. Games that are single player only tend to have lengthier stories and are generally more fun to play through a second time. But I guess you don't know what that's like.. go back to your FPS games. You won't know what you're missing.wwervin
HOO-AH!
oUndauntedo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119 oUndauntedo
Member since 2009 • 84 Posts

Why do people buy multiplayer games? they are extremely repetative? Seriously are you that ridiculously blind? I am going to take your advice and not buy final fantasy 13 but rent it for 2 weeks and pay probably $100 in late fees because it will take that long to finish therefore paying more than the game is actually worth and not actually owning the game.KorruptRaiden

GameFly is a beautiful thing. :D

As for the multiplayer games comment, not everyone shares your feelings about them being extremely repetitive. It's also amusing that you fault multiplayer games for being repetitive, considering that replaying a single-player game usually means doing the same exact things over again. Aside from games like Mass Effect and Fallout 3 that let you make choices that change your experience every playthough.

KorruptRaiden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120 KorruptRaiden

[QUOTE="KorruptRaiden"]Why do people buy multiplayer games? they are extremely repetative? Seriously are you that ridiculously blind? I am going to take your advice and not buy final fantasy 13 but rent it for 2 weeks and pay probably $100 in late fees because it will take that long to finish therefore paying more than the game is actually worth and not actually owning the game.oUndauntedo

GameFly is a beautiful thing. :D

As for the multiplayer games comment, not everyone shares your feelings about them being extremely repetitive. It's also amusing that you fault multiplayer games for being repetitive, considering that replaying a single-player game usually means doing the same exact things over again. Aside from games like Mass Effect and Fallout 3 that let you make choices that change your experience every playthough.

I never said I dislike multiplayer, I play on a 50:50 ratio for single and multiplayer. I am just saying that there is NO story to multiplayer therefore I find it less enjoyable, and yes it is repetitive.
Hakud0ushi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121 Hakud0ushi
Member since 2005 • 7613 Posts
I have silver account... that answer your question?
chefstubbies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#122 chefstubbies
Member since 2007 • 2583 Posts

Pdiddy105

No. It's clearly a joke thread.

Avatar image for deactivated-61cf0c4baf12e
deactivated-61cf0c4baf12e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123 deactivated-61cf0c4baf12e
Member since 2006 • 6013 Posts

I just bought Kameo and Perfect Dark Zero for 10 bucks (5 each), and they were new!!!

Playing Kameo right now and I'm happy!!!!!

The last games Rare gave us while being good :D

oUndauntedo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124 oUndauntedo

I never said I dislike multiplayer, I play on a 50:50 ratio for single and multiplayer. I am just saying that there is NO story to multiplayer therefore I find it less enjoyable, and yes it is repetitive.KorruptRaiden

I never said you dislike multiplayer either, and of course there's no story to multiplayer because it'd be the same story over and over again and the story would get (le gasp) repetitive.

Also, buying single-player games isn't wise.

Oh, were we done passing off our opinions as facts? Okay then.

DranzarTypeF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125 DranzarTypeF
Member since 2009 • 2623 Posts

^^^If buying single-player games isn't "wise" then I hope that Prototype in your gamercard is a rental.

oUndauntedo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#126 oUndauntedo

^^^If buying single-player games isn't "wise" then I hope that Prototype in your gamercard is a rental.

DranzarTypeF

It is, thankfully.

DranzarTypeF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#127 DranzarTypeF

[QUOTE="DranzarTypeF"]

oUndauntedo

It is, thankfully.

lol.:x

Toribor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#128 Toribor
Member since 2005 • 3255 Posts

Just rent it, beat it, and return it. I'm getting annoyed reading about people wishing they never bought a certain singleplayer game for $60. And with the lengths of campaigns these days on average, it's not even worth it.

Coldzboy
This is obviously someone who has never played a Bethesda or Bioware game....
gamer082009

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#129 gamer082009
Member since 2007 • 6679 Posts

[QUOTE="mywii1999"]

[QUOTE="Pdiddy105"]

Coldzboy

A bad joke? :$ this isn't even a joke at all, because you like to waste money buying singleplayer games doesn't mean that everyone wants to...

You do realize that single player games have always been bought before multiplayer came along and became so popular, so it's only natural that it'll continue. I find this thread to be a joke like the rest of the people here.
TrapMuzik92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#130 TrapMuzik92
Member since 2009 • 3424 Posts
To play by themselves? Maybe they have friends IRL
carlandcarl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#132 carlandcarl
Member since 2004 • 1251 Posts

[QUOTE="oUndauntedo"]

[QUOTE="DranzarTypeF"]

DranzarTypeF

It is, thankfully.

lol.:x

WHAT!? prototype is still one of the most enjoyable games I've played

Edragonxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#133 Edragonxx
Member since 2007 • 94 Posts

If we talk about xbox 360 games then I rented only one time and after that now I am always buyng games. In PC I am using torrent for downloading games. Why? it's very simple because I am not agree with games prices! If they lowering game prices to 5-15 euros like movies. Then I think there lots peoples going to buy always legal game. 50 euros per game is too much. Real and normal price for games will be somewhere 20-30 euros! Thats why I am always waiting after game release 1-3 months and then going to buy this game. :) And after I have played it I selling them back to shop. Except games like Need for speed and dirt. Because this games you can play again and again and again (even you completed this game). But RPG's and specially some action games it's little bit booring to start and play it again. :)

UT_Wrestler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#134 UT_Wrestler
Member since 2004 • 16426 Posts
Why do people buy multiplayer games? It has a limited shelf-life, and in most of them you have trouble finding any other players a year after they are released.
Avatar image for deactivated-5829d9bd191c4
deactivated-5829d9bd191c4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#135 deactivated-5829d9bd191c4
Member since 2007 • 1294 Posts

I buy single player games and have never moaned about them

greenballer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#136 greenballer
Member since 2004 • 619 Posts

I laughed at this topic and its creator. A mind is a terrible thing to try and develop without adult supervision

-Water-Wings-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#137 -Water-Wings-
Member since 2006 • 1099 Posts

Because I enjoy them..? Alot of singleplayer games are definetly worth $60.

Cryptiic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#138 Cryptiic
Member since 2009 • 208 Posts

Pdiddy105

My thought exactly...

As long as i get 1 hour for every £ i put into the game i'm perfectly happy.

wizdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#139 wizdom
Member since 2003 • 10111 Posts

Coldzboy

Your right because Dragon is a short game, so is Mass Effect, Oblivion and Fallout 3 (rolls eyes), Now I willleave this pointless topic before I get mad.

drunkenyak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#140 drunkenyak
Member since 2008 • 165 Posts

Because I like to own my games? :roll:

podliver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#141 podliver
Member since 2007 • 1765 Posts
What is this a joke topic? No one can really be questioning the value of a single player experience. Well here it is in a nutshell; A great single player experience last a lifetime, people will still go back and play Mario World or Sonic after all these years. MP reliant experiences have a shelf life that last only as lon as the game is popular. Look at how people ranted and raved about how great COD4 was and a mere 2yrs later its forgotten for the next big thing. It doesn't even have to last that long, if they next online juggernaut drops after six months the prior one is finished. That cant happen to a great SP experience, great ones like Mario Galaxy, Uncharted and Mass Effect that are great now, will be great 10yrs from now. A MP experience will be dead within 2, so in the end who gets more bang for thier buck?Sepewrath
This is probably the biggest reason why I buy mainly single player games. If it's pure multiplayer, eventually it will die out so the game would have absolutely no purpose...
DranzarTypeF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#142 DranzarTypeF

[QUOTE="Sepewrath"]What is this a joke topic? No one can really be questioning the value of a single player experience. Well here it is in a nutshell; A great single player experience last a lifetime, people will still go back and play Mario World or Sonic after all these years. MP reliant experiences have a shelf life that last only as lon as the game is popular. Look at how people ranted and raved about how great COD4 was and a mere 2yrs later its forgotten for the next big thing. It doesn't even have to last that long, if they next online juggernaut drops after six months the prior one is finished. That cant happen to a great SP experience, great ones like Mario Galaxy, Uncharted and Mass Effect that are great now, will be great 10yrs from now. A MP experience will be dead within 2, so in the end who gets more bang for thier buck?podliver
This is probably the biggest reason why I buy mainly single player games. If it's pure multiplayer, eventually it will die out so the game would have absolutely no purpose...

This...a SP can never get outdated or put on the back burner because the storymodes don't rely on other people playing with you to make the experience enjoyable.

PhailBob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#143 PhailBob
Member since 2009 • 48 Posts

This is one of the worst arguements I've ever seen...

You can do what you want deal with it :cry:

The_X_Factor_9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#144 The_X_Factor_9
Member since 2009 • 503 Posts
[QUOTE="Coldzboy"]

[QUOTE="mywii1999"]

[QUOTE="Pdiddy105"]

This is coming out of the mouth of a Call of Duty junkie. Someone give this guy a good game. Or more importantly, the ability to comprehend how to enjoy a game by himself. And for kicks...someone give this poor deprived soul a hug.
sensfanVone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#145 sensfanVone
Member since 2006 • 1714 Posts

I buy single player games because I detest playing shooting games with idiots online, I only do it to appease my stupid friends. :twisted:

Seriously though a great single player experience>a great multiplayer/coop experience for me personally.

sub-raid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#146 sub-raid
Member since 2006 • 1613 Posts
It's not always about online.
FaintRain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#147 FaintRain
Member since 2009 • 678 Posts

Coldzboy
so you're saying multiplayer games are better than single-player games,tell me this is a joke,most "fun" multiplayer games are shooters in other words no variety you just shoot shoot shoot shoot shoot and sth different shoot,GOOD single-player games usually offer a huge variety over the gameplay and a better replay value and have a story worth knowing,the people that says that they regeret buying a certain game has many reasons but the lack isn't in the fact that those games are single-player-only
albatrossdrums

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#148 albatrossdrums
Member since 2008 • 1178 Posts

I cannot relate at all to the attitude of this thread. I care far more about a great single player campaign than any multiplayer or online and I always will. To me it's quite the opposite - when I hear people say they won't buy a game unless it has multiplayer I think it really sucks - to me, it just pushes games all in the same cookie cutter direction where they try to please everyone and wind up pleasing less in the process. It's great for me when a game, like Uncharted 2, gives a great single campaign and then has a hugely fun muitplayer as well, but I will never feel short changed by a great single player campaign. In fact, in my opinion, the advent of multiplayer has been more of a curse than a blessing to the gaming industry, and it's spawned a legion of d-bags who live to grief other players on line and spout racist bile etc. Unfortunately, many of these same people are also the "squeakiest wheels" (the ones that always get the most grease from the gaming industry) constantly complaining in forums and calling stuff is gay or "the worst ever" and I think they hav been given WAY too much say about what gamers expect from games. If I think of my greatest and most favorite gaming experiences, as someone who has been playing since the early PC games like The 7th Guest and the Sierra games and moved to consoles with the first Playstation, they are all single player games.

wwervin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#149 wwervin
Member since 2003 • 10274 Posts
[QUOTE="podliver"][QUOTE="Sepewrath"]

[QUOTE="podliver"][QUOTE="Sepewrath"]What is this a joke topic? No one can really be questioning the value of a single player experience. Well here it is in a nutshell; A great single player experience last a lifetime, people will still go back and play Mario World or Sonic after all these years. MP reliant experiences have a shelf life that last only as lon as the game is popular. Look at how people ranted and raved about how great COD4 was and a mere 2yrs later its forgotten for the next big thing. It doesn't even have to last that long, if they next online juggernaut drops after six months the prior one is finished. That cant happen to a great SP experience, great ones like Mario Galaxy, Uncharted and Mass Effect that are great now, will be great 10yrs from now. A MP experience will be dead within 2, so in the end who gets more bang for thier buck?DranzarTypeF

This...a SP can never get outdated or put on the back burner because the storymodes don't rely on other people playing with you to make the experience enjoyable.

Technically.. the same can be said for some single player games. I'm talking about the ones that are rushed.. the ones that have a quick story mode and nothing more to do afterwards. But thankfully most SP games have a very deep and compelling story filled with great replayability. It's like Sepewrath said, people will still go back and play those classics because they continue to give a fun experience. When the next Halo game comes out, do you think people will still be playing Halo 3? Maybe for a month or 2, but then everyone will upgrade and the community will be dead. I like that certain games offer a lot of expansion despite beating the core storline. That's something you don't really get in a MP based game. Picture GTA4.. even if you beat the main story in that game, there's a ton of side missions and other things to do, and you can always just mess around for fun. Can you do that in a CoD game? Nope.. you can play through the same 5 hour story mode if you want.. go through the same motions.. etc. But for the most part people beat the story mode and play it for its online counterpart. I think a good single player experience is always more rewarding than spending unnecessary time leveling up online. I'm not saying it's not fun sometimes to play MW2 and level up, but it just gets so dry and boring.
Luigirulez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

#150 Luigirulez
Member since 2008 • 379 Posts
Don't be a wuss because you haven't played bioshock or mass effect. Bioshock WAS worth the sixty bucks and still will be. And seriously, think of people who don't have Live!