The Elder Textures : Sigh-rim

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Mausingen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Mausingen
Member since 2012 • 28 Posts

[deleted]

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#2 commander
Member since 2010 • 16217 Posts
[QUOTE="Mausingen"]So it's been years since I've visited the Gamespot forums; I actually forgot my older account's details. All those earned emblems and signatures and 'achievements' from yesteryear... gone. Anyway, a lot of time has gone by, things have changed and I digress. The reason for my return is, amusingly enough, what I feel to have been a bad purchase. Bad purchase of what was hailed 'Game of The Year', bad purchase of a game that has received across-the-board praise and high scores from many a respected critic. I am referring to 2011's The Elder Scrolls: Skyrim. I want point out that when I buy a game that has been released on multiple platforms, I rate it exclusively on the merits of its performance (or lack thereof) on whatever rig I am playing it on - in this case the Xbox 360. So. What has bothered me about Skyrim on the Xbox 360? Well (and I know this will be considered by many a veteran gamer to be a shallow jab at such a game) I genuinely believe it is the ugliest Xbox 360 game I have EVER played, with textures that rival those of the very first Silent Hill game released for the Playstation 1 in 199X. I am not trolling. This game time and time again just downright appalls me at times. From character and creature models, to item models, to walls and environment textures... EVERYTHING in this game looks muddy, washed out and pixelated. The foliage I attempt examine for potential ingredients just looks god damn horrifying. I am aware of the texture streaming issues causes by an install - but I am running this game off my brand new Xbox 360 Slim 4GB, off the disk no less. How has no one else mentioned this? How is 2006's Oblivion graphically ahead of its supposed successor? It really boggles the mind how such low-res textures could find their way into the final product. Does anyone else feel this way? I know a game is supposed to be the sum of its parts, but I feel Skyrim's graphics detract too much from the overall experience. Or maybe recent innovations in graphics technology have made me more aware of games that have graphics that are less-than-stellar. I don't know. Maus EDIT: I can't seem to split up my post into reasonably sized paragraphs. FU HTML. FU.

Well , i think the game looks very good , considering the hardware it's running on and i played skryim on my pc too. The only thing better on the pc is the view distance, sometimes when you have a view that you can look far away, the distant textures don't look very good on the x360. You can play on 1080p (or higher depends on your system) but for me the 720p is good enough on the x360, i have only a 32 inch tv. That's probably your problem, your tv is probably bigger, then i highly suggest you play on a pc so you can get the higher resolutions. Apart from that , it's very similar to what you get on the x360. I set my tv to lively colors and it takes away that grayish look. I already put 360 hours in this game and it's one of the best and biggest games i've ever played.
Gen007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#3 Gen007
Member since 2006 • 11006 Posts

Seriously if you want better graphics you need to start gaming onPC period. What can you expect out a console that was released in 05 and probably designed way before that? To be fair the PC version of Skyrim isn't the much of a looker either without mods.

Avatar image for Defy_The_Fallen
Defy_The_Fallen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#4 Defy_The_Fallen
Member since 2011 • 621 Posts

Skyrim's not bad on the mass scale of things. Look too closely and you'll see the glaringly bad textures. I personally own the PC version (My previous comment was based off my experience with the 360 version), and the higher texture settings only look slightly better then. The good thing about having a PC version, is tonnes of mods come out for graphical improvements, and skyrim has one of the best, most acessible modding communities to date. And done and tried many texture mods, and have found the perfect ones that make my game look as good as this generation can offer. The skills of some people, some not even in the industry, amaze me!

NiKva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 NiKva
Member since 2010 • 8181 Posts
OP is a troll.
Avatar image for deactivated-61cf0c4baf12e
deactivated-61cf0c4baf12e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#6 deactivated-61cf0c4baf12e
Member since 2006 • 6013 Posts

Hope to see you again in 5 years... or maybe not, you're not an interesting one.

HyperWarlock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 HyperWarlock
Member since 2011 • 3295 Posts

[QUOTE="Mausingen"]So it's been years since I've visited the Gamespot forums; I actually forgot my older account's details. All those earned emblems and signatures and 'achievements' from yesteryear... gone. Anyway, a lot of time has gone by, things have changed and I digress. The reason for my return is, amusingly enough, what I feel to have been a bad purchase. Bad purchase of what was hailed 'Game of The Year', bad purchase of a game that has received across-the-board praise and high scores from many a respected critic. I am referring to 2011's The Elder Scrolls: Skyrim. I want point out that when I buy a game that has been released on multiple platforms, I rate it exclusively on the merits of its performance (or lack thereof) on whatever rig I am playing it on - in this case the Xbox 360. So. What has bothered me about Skyrim on the Xbox 360? Well (and I know this will be considered by many a veteran gamer to be a shallow jab at such a game) I genuinely believe it is the ugliest Xbox 360 game I have EVER played, with textures that rival those of the very first Silent Hill game released for the Playstation 1 in 199X. I am not trolling. This game time and time again just downright appalls me at times. From character and creature models, to item models, to walls and environment textures... EVERYTHING in this game looks muddy, washed out and pixelated. The foliage I attempt examine for potential ingredients just looks god damn horrifying. I am aware of the texture streaming issues causes by an install - but I am running this game off my brand new Xbox 360 Slim 4GB, off the disk no less. How has no one else mentioned this? How is 2006's Oblivion graphically ahead of its supposed successor? It really boggles the mind how such low-res textures could find their way into the final product. Does anyone else feel this way? I know a game is supposed to be the sum of its parts, but I feel Skyrim's graphics detract too much from the overall experience. Or maybe recent innovations in graphics technology have made me more aware of games that have graphics that are less-than-stellar. I don't know. Maus EDIT: I can't seem to split up my post into reasonably sized paragraphs. FU HTML. FU.evildead6789
Well , i think the game looks very good , considering the hardware it's running on and i played skryim on my pc too. The only thing better on the pc is the view distance, sometimes when you have a view that you can look far away, the distant textures don't look very good on the x360. You can play on 1080p (or higher depends on your system) but for me the 720p is good enough on the x360, i have only a 32 inch tv. That's probably your problem, your tv is probably bigger, then i highly suggest you play on a pc so you can get the higher resolutions. Apart from that , it's very similar to what you get on the x360. I set my tv to lively colors and it takes away that grayish look. I already put 360 hours in this game and it's one of the best and biggest games i've ever played.

PC also has mods.

(Some of which can drasticly improve graphics)

MrsBlunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#8 MrsBlunder
Member since 2011 • 126 Posts

Definitely a troll. And unfortunately, not very amusing. I wonder if OP actually has his xBox connected via HD? Because on my, Skyrim certainly does look better than Oblivion.

Kinthalis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#11 Kinthalis
Member since 2002 • 5503 Posts

I'm not sure what you expected from aging hardware.

PC is where you need to play that game anyway, given the performance, graphics improvements and specially the mods.

Rattlesnake_8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#12 Rattlesnake_8
Member since 2004 • 18452 Posts
Skyrim looks ugly? I guess you haven't played any games this gen.. or your from the future. I don't see how anyone could actually believe Skyrim looks horrible compared to every other game out there.
a55a55inx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#13 a55a55inx
Member since 2004 • 4188 Posts
I think the game looks great; the textures are at a fine resolution (I've seen lower res textures in Gears of War and CoD)...the bump and spec maps in the game definitely add the depth to the textures, and the end result looks great, in my eyes. The only thing that I found distracting were the animations... everyone still felt too "stiff"...
ACx7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 ACx7
Member since 2007 • 6222 Posts

I agree that the textures could certainly be better. But the game it's self is gorgeous. The scenery alone is enough to make exploring more enjoyable.

ydnarrewop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#15 ydnarrewop
Member since 2004 • 2291 Posts

So it's been years since I've visited the Gamespot forums; I actually forgot my older account's details. All those earned emblems and signatures and 'achievements' from yesteryear... gone. Anyway, a lot of time has gone by, things have changed and I digress. The reason for my return is, amusingly enough, what I feel to have been a bad purchase. Bad purchase of what was hailed 'Game of The Year', bad purchase of a game that has received across-the-board praise and high scores from many a respected critic. I am referring to 2011's The Elder Scrolls: Skyrim. I want point out that when I buy a game that has been released on multiple platforms, I rate it exclusively on the merits of its performance (or lack thereof) on whatever rig I am playing it on - in this case the Xbox 360. So. What has bothered me about Skyrim on the Xbox 360? Well (and I know this will be considered by many a veteran gamer to be a shallow jab at such a game) I genuinely believe it is the ugliest Xbox 360 game I have EVER played, with textures that rival those of the very first Silent Hill game released for the Playstation 1 in 199X. I am not trolling. This game time and time again just downright appalls me at times. From character and creature models, to item models, to walls and environment textures... EVERYTHING in this game looks muddy, washed out and pixelated. The foliage I attempt examine for potential ingredients just looks god damn horrifying. I am aware of the texture streaming issues causes by an install - but I am running this game off my brand new Xbox 360 Slim 4GB, off the disk no less. How has no one else mentioned this? How is 2006's Oblivion graphically ahead of its supposed successor? It really boggles the mind how such low-res textures could find their way into the final product. Does anyone else feel this way? I know a game is supposed to be the sum of its parts, but I feel Skyrim's graphics detract too much from the overall experience. Or maybe recent innovations in graphics technology have made me more aware of games that have graphics that are less-than-stellar. I don't know. Maus EDIT: I can't seem to split up my post into reasonably sized paragraphs. FU HTML. FU.Mausingen
This is not new news at all. There have been lots of complaints about Skyrim. You are certainly not alone TC. Skyrim shines on the PC. On the consoles it's weak. I grabbed it for the PS3. So believe me I feel your pain. I should have deferred to another medium, but alas I did not. If you think you have it bad lol sole PS3 owners have it the worst :)

HardGames420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 HardGames420
Member since 2011 • 233 Posts

So it's been years since I've visited the Gamespot forums; I actually forgot my older account's details. All those earned emblems and signatures and 'achievements' from yesteryear... gone. Anyway, a lot of time has gone by, things have changed and I digress. The reason for my return is, amusingly enough, what I feel to have been a bad purchase. Bad purchase of what was hailed 'Game of The Year', bad purchase of a game that has received across-the-board praise and high scores from many a respected critic. I am referring to 2011's The Elder Scrolls: Skyrim. I want point out that when I buy a game that has been released on multiple platforms, I rate it exclusively on the merits of its performance (or lack thereof) on whatever rig I am playing it on - in this case the Xbox 360. So. What has bothered me about Skyrim on the Xbox 360? Well (and I know this will be considered by many a veteran gamer to be a shallow jab at such a game) I genuinely believe it is the ugliest Xbox 360 game I have EVER played, with textures that rival those of the very first Silent Hill game released for the Playstation 1 in 199X. I am not trolling. This game time and time again just downright appalls me at times. From character and creature models, to item models, to walls and environment textures... EVERYTHING in this game looks muddy, washed out and pixelated. The foliage I attempt examine for potential ingredients just looks god damn horrifying. I am aware of the texture streaming issues causes by an install - but I am running this game off my brand new Xbox 360 Slim 4GB, off the disk no less. How has no one else mentioned this? How is 2006's Oblivion graphically ahead of its supposed successor? It really boggles the mind how such low-res textures could find their way into the final product. Does anyone else feel this way? I know a game is supposed to be the sum of its parts, but I feel Skyrim's graphics detract too much from the overall experience. Or maybe recent innovations in graphics technology have made me more aware of games that have graphics that are less-than-stellar. I don't know. Maus EDIT: I can't seem to split up my post into reasonably sized paragraphs. FU HTML. FU.Mausingen

You want amazing console graphics? Go play God of War 3, Uncharted 2&3, Killzone 2&3, Metal Gear Solid 4 on Sony Playstation 3.