Suspended from Xbox Live for the motto I've had for 5 and half years

• 74 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Xeogua

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51 Xeogua
Member since 2010 • 1542 Posts

Lol, you should have 360 no scoped him, then people wouldn't have reported you, because of your l33t skills. :P

edthetinker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#52 edthetinker
Member since 2007 • 1373 Posts
[QUOTE="edthetinker"][QUOTE="HilbillyRokstar"]I care, and you will when you are older.HilbillyRokstar
If I don't care at 30 I doubt I'm going to care later. You go live in a world without humor, I'll be here enjoying life and staying light and easy.

30s not a guarantee of maturity. Do you have kids? It's all about respect and life experience. Plus it's not funny to anybody in the baby-boomer gen. Just ask 'em.

You should study humor. Black comedy is predicated on saying things that make people so uncomfortable that they laugh. I'm sorry his joke isn't "here's your sign." His motto cracked me up. It was not only unique, but poked fun at an aspect of game culture also. Not everybody in the world watches the blue collar comedy tour to get their chuckles. Some of us like things that go beyond the predictable and mundane. This discussion itself is funny. You not thinking he is funny is hilarious. You just don't get it, I don't expect you to, but I hope you keep responding so I can keep laughing.
Avatar image for mynamesdenvrmax
mynamesdenvrmax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#53 mynamesdenvrmax
Member since 2004 • 2228 Posts

reason why you didn't get suspended instantly because they wait till the complaints build up. So in other words you may be on file but dont know you are on file, if you get enough complaints then they take action.

Santesyu

Who told you that? They've said very little about how their system works. Its not a fully automated system, someone looks at the complaints.

Thuganomic05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#54 Thuganomic05
Member since 2004 • 3456 Posts
I'm - not to be an ass - glad your motto was reported. I don't think that's funny. Since when has it been funny to joke about people being murdered/assassinated?
tommiesten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#55 tommiesten
Member since 2011 • 34 Posts

i was a comedian for a while and really a joke to one person can be funny, to another annoying and to the last group, they hate you. dark humour which is stuff like death,tragedy or anything that hurts people, is exactly the subject. some people find it annoying, some people find it the funniest thing ever and the rest hate you. that said, there is nothing you can joke about with it offending someone. i once was almost bottled by a rather large women because i asked her if there was an incredibly squashed dog next to her (she was wearing sunglasses at night and i was suggesting if she was blind) she was not blind, so im not heartless but she took that as me promoting animal cruelty.

sorry for any spelling, i have dyslexia

ZodofWar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 ZodofWar
Member since 2011 • 51 Posts
Well JFK is a former President of the United States. Why would you even go there? If your dad was knocked off, would you like some random guy to have the motto "I no-scoped JameJame Dad"? JFK was someone's father....shaunchgo
I no scoped his kids plane. So it's cool.
Leaky_Taps_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 Leaky_Taps_Man
Member since 2010 • 319 Posts

I've been suspended several times (my most recent one was for 3 weeks) for - shall we say - provocative motto's. I don't care so much about getting suspended since I'll just go play PS3 or use some free trials but I think the fact that you get it without any type of warning (i.e. MS just telling you for instance you're 3 complaints away from a suspension) is annoying. I also don't understand how an offensive gamertag means just changing your moniker but no suspension, it seems like double standards.

Avatar image for HilbillyRokstar
HilbillyRokstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 HilbillyRokstar
Member since 2007 • 3236 Posts
[QUOTE="edthetinker"][QUOTE="HilbillyRokstar"][QUOTE="edthetinker"] If I don't care at 30 I doubt I'm going to care later. You go live in a world without humor, I'll be here enjoying life and staying light and easy.

30s not a guarantee of maturity. Do you have kids? It's all about respect and life experience. Plus it's not funny to anybody in the baby-boomer gen. Just ask 'em.

You should study humor. Black comedy is predicated on saying things that make people so uncomfortable that they laugh. I'm sorry his joke isn't "here's your sign." His motto cracked me up. It was not only unique, but poked fun at an aspect of game culture also. Not everybody in the world watches the blue collar comedy tour to get their chuckles. Some of us like things that go beyond the predictable and mundane. This discussion itself is funny. You not thinking he is funny is hilarious. You just don't get it, I don't expect you to, but I hope you keep responding so I can keep laughing.

I understand black humor. My GT is an homage to the "King of Rock and Roll". Not a sign of where I'm from or my life experiences. That said, poor taste is poor taste. And this joke is garbage. BTW, I'm a HUGE fan of "Louie". Is he not dark enough for you? XBL is not a comedy show, it's a place for people to interact through a common media. Therefore a certain amount of common respect is in order. Sorry if you can't understand that.
Avatar image for UprootedDreamer
UprootedDreamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 UprootedDreamer
Member since 2011 • 2036 Posts
That sucks that they would suspend you over your motto, they should of if anything just asked you to remove it.
Avatar image for JusticeFromSeed
JusticeFromSeed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#60 JusticeFromSeed
Member since 2005 • 336 Posts

Yeah... This is your own fault.

ZombieKiller7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 ZombieKiller7
Member since 2011 • 6463 Posts

I think "I no-scoped JFK" is hilarious and it saddens me that XBL suspended you for that.

Basically you supposed to put "I am happy to be here" or something equally lame as your motto.

The thought-police thinks it's inappropriate to make light to presidential assassinations.

I think it's even more inappropriate to have no respect for individiual free expression but what do I know.

penpusher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#62 penpusher
Member since 2004 • 3573 Posts

I think "I no-scoped JFK" is hilarious and it saddens me that XBL suspended you for that.

Basically you supposed to put "I am happy to be here" or something equally lame as your motto.

The thought-police thinks it's inappropriate to make light to presidential assassinations.

I think it's even more inappropriate to have no respect for individiual free expression but what do I know.

ZombieKiller7
Its a bit more complicated than "the thought police" teling you what to think. Telling a joke like that might be funny amongst friends, hell the worst you'll do is offend a passer-by BUT when youre writing on the internet you need to engage some brain power and keep in mind that millions of people are going to see it and not everyone is going to take as kindly to it as you and your mates. Its called consideration for others. And that "free expression" stuff has nothing to do with this, the motto isnt free expression, its bad taste
ZombieJesus007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 ZombieJesus007
Member since 2011 • 48 Posts

Well we do lose our "freedom of exression" to some degree when agreeing to the Terms ofService. That being said, being in bad taste is one's OPINION. In My Opinion, it was hilarious.

PS, JFK wasn't immune to "campers" either...

Thomasdeleo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 Thomasdeleo
Member since 2006 • 1984 Posts

I think it sucks you got suspended without getting a chance to change it. Imo, theres just to many politically correct bleeding heart liberals out there:shock:

penpusher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 penpusher

I think it sucks you got suspended without getting a chance to change it. Imo, theres just to many politically correct bleeding heart liberals out there:shock:

Thomasdeleo
he wasgiven the chance to change it, the suspension was to make sure he got the messege ... its really simple you know, just be considerate of others
twi41

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 twi41
Member since 2002 • 2471 Posts

OP, that motto was incredibly insensitive. Your poking fun at someone's murder.

Thomasdeleo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 Thomasdeleo
Member since 2006 • 1984 Posts
[QUOTE="Thomasdeleo"]

penpusher
he wasgiven the chance to change it, the suspension was to make sure he got the messege ... its really simple you know, just be considerate of others

Didn't see anywhere where he said they gave him a warning or to change it.
penpusher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 penpusher
[QUOTE="penpusher"][QUOTE="Thomasdeleo"]

Thomasdeleo

Didn't see anywhere where he said they gave him a warning or to change it.

they usually give you the option when they suspend you for such things
Gokuja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 Gokuja
Member since 2005 • 3767 Posts
Ya sometimes they ban ppl or make them change names like mine when they really shouldn't. I use to have xSSx infront of my name b/c i was in a clan called Shadow Squad, and had it for a long time until i logged in and it said I had to change my name due to that. I've seen plenty off people with the same abbreviation which just leads me to believe a clan filed complaints to get it removed. Still lame that MS did it.
CammiTac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 CammiTac
Member since 2011 • 1179 Posts

You may think your motto was just a simple joke, but there is a time and place for dark comedy and on an Xbox Live profile where the code of conduct clearly states "Don't create a gamertag, profile content, Avatar action, Avatar content, or in-game content that other users may be offended by" isn't really one of those places. You can't really complain because you had to know that at least some people would find it offensive. You took a risk, enough people reported the motto over some time, and you got suspended. There isn't really much to it. Now if you had a motto that couldn't be seen as offensive at all, then I would understand why you might be upset, but you do see why some people might have found your motto offensive, right?

ZombieKiller7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 ZombieKiller7

[QUOTE="ZombieKiller7"]

penpusher

Its a bit more complicated than "the thought police" teling you what to think. Telling a joke like that might be funny amongst friends, hell the worst you'll do is offend a passer-by BUT when youre writing on the internet you need to engage some brain power and keep in mind that millions of people are going to see it and not everyone is going to take as kindly to it as you and your mates. Its called consideration for others. And that "free expression" stuff has nothing to do with this, the motto isnt free expression, its bad taste

If you are offended that is your responsibility, not a burden on the free speech of others.

"Shut your piehole, that's offensive" is something I would expect in North Korea, Iran or the UK.

We have different set of values in the US vis-a-vis the individual against tyranny of the majority.

Or at least we used to.

Sadly "New World Order" is upon mankind, Socio-fascism is en vogue, global economic failure cascade has begun, the darkness is spreading and in a few hundred years I doubt we'll have a society to whine about.

Kinda puts the importance of Xbox Live in perspective doesn't it.

penpusher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 penpusher

[QUOTE="penpusher"][QUOTE="ZombieKiller7"]

ZombieKiller7

If you are offended that is your responsibility, not a burden on the free speech of others.

"Shut your piehole, that's offensive" is something I would expect in North Korea, Iran or the UK.

We have different set of values in the US vis-a-vis the individual against tyranny of the majority.

Or at least we used to.

Sadly "New World Order" is upon mankind, Socio-fascism is en vogue, global economic failure cascade has begun, the darkness is spreading and in a few hundred years I doubt we'll have a society to whine about.

What a load of absolute twoddle! How is my being offended my "responsibility"? Dude he didnt make the joke amongst a group of friends or on a tv program that makes it obvious this is the kind of thing you'll likely come across. It was on a public service where everyone from around the world are able to see everything everyone writes! Its the responsibility of anyone making statements of any kind to be considerate of others in such circumstances. Peoples attitudes towards offending people is increasingly disgusting. I'll say it again this has nothing to do with "free speech" it was a joke that the thread starter should have thought about. Somewhere along the line people have to accept responsibility for their actions not complain about the consequences. Its not "new world order" (what ever the hell that is) thats the problem today, its peoples increasing lack of consideration for people other than themselves. P.S youre comparing this situation to the US's value for "against tyranny of the majority" is ridiculous. For one it might shock you to learn this but speaking as a resident of the UK the US isnt the only country with those values. And I certainly wouldnt compare this to an example of tyranny. The dude was being offensive and faced the consequences. Hardly the same.
Avatar image for HilbillyRokstar
HilbillyRokstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 HilbillyRokstar
Member since 2007 • 3236 Posts

[QUOTE="ZombieKiller7"]

[QUOTE="penpusher"] Its a bit more complicated than "the thought police" teling you what to think. Telling a joke like that might be funny amongst friends, hell the worst you'll do is offend a passer-by BUT when youre writing on the internet you need to engage some brain power and keep in mind that millions of people are going to see it and not everyone is going to take as kindly to it as you and your mates. Its called consideration for others. And that "free expression" stuff has nothing to do with this, the motto isnt free expression, its bad tastepenpusher

Or at least we used to.

What a load of absolute twoddle! How is my being offended my "responsibility"? Dude he didnt make the joke amongst a group of friends or on a tv program that makes it obvious this is the kind of thing you'll likely come across. It was on a public service where everyone from around the world are able to see everything everyone writes! Its the responsibility of anyone making statements of any kind to be considerate of others in such circumstances. Peoples attitudes towards offending people is increasingly disgusting. I'll say it again this has nothing to do with "free speech" it was a joke that the thread starter should have thought about. Somewhere along the line people have to accept responsibility for their actions not complain about the consequences. Its not "new world order" (what ever the hell that is) thats the problem today, its peoples increasing lack of consideration for people other than themselves. P.S youre comparing this situation to the US's value for "against tyranny of the majority" is ridiculous. For one it might shock you to learn this but speaking as a resident of the UK the US isnt the only country with those values. And I certainly wouldnt compare this to an example of tyranny. The dude was being offensive and faced the consequences. Hardly the same.

The really funny part is, back in the so called "radical free speech" days of the 60s and 70s nobody EVER would have made such a rude and offensive statement in a vain attempt to get attention through a public media such as the one we are a part of on XBL. It's ludicrous to even support such an argument. We have more freedoms than we have ever had in the U.S. and the world in general. Don't let propaganda and anti-government protests be an excuse for the moral decline of society. It's all about greed and self-enterest these days. There's nothing wrong with a little common decency and respect. That's the bottom line.

ZombieKiller7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 ZombieKiller7

What a load of absolute twoddle! How is my being offended my "responsibility"? Dude he didnt make the joke amongst a group of friends or on a tv program that makes it obvious this is the kind of thing you'll likely come across. It was on a public service where everyone from around the world are able to see everything everyone writes! Its the responsibility of anyone making statements of any kind to be considerate of others in such circumstances. Peoples attitudes towards offending people is increasingly disgusting. I'll say it again this has nothing to do with "free speech" it was a joke that the thread starter should have thought about. Somewhere along the line people have to accept responsibility for their actions not complain about the consequences. Its not "new world order" (what ever the hell that is) thats the problem today, its peoples increasing lack of consideration for people other than themselves. P.S youre comparing this situation to the US's value for "against tyranny of the majority" is ridiculous. For one it might shock you to learn this but speaking as a resident of the UK the US isnt the only country with those values. And I certainly wouldnt compare this to an example of tyranny. The dude was being offensive and faced the consequences. Hardly the same.penpusher

Being considerate is a social responsibility, but letting offense slide off your back is also a social responsibility.

The notion that 6 billion people on planet Earth need the nanny state to keep them from offending each other is a symptom of wider problem.

The idea that a gigantic multinational corporation is the self-appointed Big Brother and deciding what's "appropriate" is a symptom of places like the UK and Europe that use elections to perpetuate the ILLUSION of people being free, while these "free people" live under 24x7 surveillance for any "unapproved thoughts" they make the mistake of saying out loud.

The simple fact is that "the West" has /attempted/ freedom and democracy within a multicultural context, and this model has failed both socially and economically.

Now backpeddling, unable to define itself or defend itself, it lashes out like a wounded animal, spending itself deeper into irrelevance.

Suspending people from a paid service for mere words? Really?

Maybe it's time people migrated to another platform where they aren't treated like serfs.