Stranglehold demo review: WOW

• 116 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

lge777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 lge777
Member since 2003 • 2507 Posts

Gameplay: 9.5

Graphics: 9.0

Controls: 9.0

Sound: 9.0

Stroyline 9.0

Overall 9.1

WOW completely innovative gameplay,lots of fast action and Unreal graphics, This demo completely blind sided me i wasn't expecting Stranglehold to be a GOTY contender but judging by the demo Stanglehold might be the most innovative game of this decade let alone the year. Bioshock is in for a shock becuase it will need to be perfect to beat out this gem (Stranglehold) for GOTY

BioShockOwnz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2 BioShockOwnz
Member since 2006 • 52901 Posts
I agreed with you, but then you mentioned BioShock....
kevy619

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#3 kevy619
Member since 2004 • 5617 Posts

Gameplay: 9.5

Graphics: 9.0

Controls: 9.0

Sound: 9.0

Stroyline 9.0

Overall 9.1

WOW completely innovative gameplay,lots of fast action and Unreal graphics, This demo completely blind sided me i wasn't expecting Stranglehold to be a GOTY contender but judging by the demo Stanglehold might be the most innovative game of this decade let alone the year. Bioshock is in for a shock becuase it will need to be perfect to beat out this gem (Stranglehold) for GOTY

lge777

Are you smoking crack? Most innovative game of the decade?

goallie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 goallie
Member since 2005 • 825 Posts
The graphics weren't worth a 9.0, I don't know how you can give the story a 9.0 considering you haven't played the entire game, and I really don't think the gameplay is deserving of a 9.5, it was a fun demo but I don't believe it will be a GOTY contender.
xander83090

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 xander83090
Member since 2007 • 74 Posts
Yeah I loved the demo, but I don't think it's a goy canidate
Cedmln

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#6 Cedmln
Member since 2006 • 8802 Posts
I disagree... very much.
hjart6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 hjart6
Member since 2004 • 627 Posts

Demo score: 9.1

Final results: 5.5

Oh....too bad

Avatar image for Camper_On_Creat
Camper_On_Creat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#8 Camper_On_Creat
Member since 2005 • 699 Posts

Most people are njot going to like Stranglehold because there are a lot of games coming out that are followed by die hard fan boys. They know stranglehold will most likely be better then there game, and that is what is tearing them apart. I dont know why they just cant admit that Stranglehold is indeed better. This bioshock game is the funniest thing in the world. There is no way it will be better then Stranglehold.

kevy619

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 kevy619

Most people are njot going to like Stranglehold because there are a lot of games coming out that are followed by die hard fan boys. They know stranglehold will most likely be better then there game, and that is what is tearing them apart. I dont know why they just cant admit that Stranglehold is indeed better. This bioshock game is the funniest thing in the world. There is no way it will be better then Stranglehold.

Camper_On_Creat

I will bet money that Bioshock's average review is atleast 10% higher than Stranglehold's. How much are you willing to pay me?

Camper_On_Creat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Camper_On_Creat
I dont want to steal from you.
nickyb628

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 nickyb628
Member since 2005 • 10303 Posts

Camper_On_Creat

I disagree completely. I am in no way a Bioshock fanboy or a Stranglehold hater, hell I'm getting the game when it comes out, but Bioshock just looks like it has so much more to it than Stranglehold.

kevy619

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 kevy619

I dont want to steal from you. Camper_On_Creat

LOL, cmon. Ill even accept user scores from a reputable website.

MyEarHurt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#13 MyEarHurt
Member since 2003 • 165 Posts

It was okay but it wasn't anywhere near game of the year...at least I hope something better comes out this year. Actually Stalker is already a better game that came out this year.

Let me point out some flaws since I am one of the only people on this thread who don't work for the games publisher.

When you are strafing and walk into a table and you guy just slides across it for no reason other than you walked into a table, it kind of takes you out of the game because it feels so silly. When there are multiple tables strewn about the STREET and you are sliding all over the place it gets comical.

Bullet time is played out and adding in the stars to encourage cool kills doesn't exactly make it fresh.

It was an arena game- meaning you enter an arena, fight all the guys there, kill them all, a door magically opens and you move through it to the next arena, rinse and repeat.

Controls were alright, would be cool with the Wii-remote but that's not going to happen.

I did like the way it gave you special moves like healing and the aiming move and there is no doubt going to be some strategy when you have that all filled with special moves like which one should be used and when.

Comparing this to Bioshock is silly. Bioshock will crush this game as will Halo 3, Mario Galaxy, Metroid Prime 3, Mass Effect, Call of Duty 4, Smash Bros, even Assassins Creed would beat this game out for game of the year. This game is a solid game that will appeal to some but nothing special.

Camper_On_Creat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Camper_On_Creat

It was okay but it wasn't anywhere near game of the year...at least I hope something better comes out this year. Actually Stalker is already a better game that came out this year.

Let me point out some flaws since I am one of the only people on this thread who don't work for the games publisher.

When you are strafing and walk into a table and you guy just slides across it for no reason other than you walked into a table, it kind of takes you out of the game because it feels so silly. When there are multiple tables strewn about the STREET and you are sliding all over the place it gets comical.

Bullet time is played out and adding in the stars to encourage cool kills doesn't exactly make it fresh.

It was an arena game- meaning you enter an arena, fight all the guys there, kill them all, a door magically opens and you move through it to the next arena, rinse and repeat.

Controls were alright, would be cool with the Wii-remote but that's not going to happen.

I did like the way it gave you special moves like healing and the aiming move and there is no doubt going to be some strategy when you have that all filled with special moves like which one should be used and when.

Comparing this to Bioshock is silly. Bioshock will crush this game as will Halo 3, Mario Galaxy, Metroid Prime 3, Mass Effect, Call of Duty 4, Smash Bros, even Assassins Creed would beat this game out for game of the year. This game is a solid game that will appeal to some but nothing special.

MyEarHurt

Halo 3!!!! ROFL. Wow you do know what you are talking about, lol.

Vis-a-Vis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Vis-a-Vis
Member since 2006 • 1977 Posts

I'm looking forward to Stranglehold far more than Halo 3 after playing both, Halo was just...Eh (MP Beta I mean) I played through Stranglehold atleast 5 times. So much Fun, I unlocked all the tequila bombs, and all difficulties, I had a blast, can't wait for it to come out.

Compared to Bioshock though, i'm a huge Bioshock fanboy so nothing can make me want anything more than Bioshock.

I'd give it a 9.0 no doubt about it.

Lot's of Fanboys around though, Stranglehold is just going to be lost amongst the exclusives being released. It is indeed sad.

I'm buying it after playing the demo.

Avatar image for FamilyGuyFan507
FamilyGuyFan507

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 79

#16 FamilyGuyFan507
Member since 2005 • 2463 Posts

WTF, alright this game was decent but game of the year is smoking crack, if you are gonna do reviews please know what you are talking about. Seriously there are PS3 games i rather die to then this game. You got Halo 3, Bioshock, Assasins Creed, Madden 08, Mass Effect, (GTA at one point), Warhawk, i mean comon, no way in hell this game is gonna match.

lge777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 lge777

Mario galaxy is sweet,Halo 3 loved the demo but it's still just Halo..but the rest of the games you are assuming they are all going to be inventive fun to play games until i get my hands on the demo/games it will only be a assumption now the Stranglehold Demo i have played and it is outstanding to say the least and a solid 9.

kevy619

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 kevy619

Mario galaxy is sweet,Halo 3loved the demo but it's still just Halo..but the rest of the gamesyou are assuming they are all going to be inventive fun to play games until i get my hands on the demo/games it will only be a assumption now the Stranglehold Demo ihave played and it is outstanding to say the least and a solid 9.

lge777

No chance of Stranglehold getting a 9.

FamilyGuyFan507

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 FamilyGuyFan507

Mario galaxy is sweet,Halo 3 loved the demo but it's still just Halo..but the rest of the games you are assuming they are all going to be inventive fun to play games until i get my hands on the demo/games it will only be a assumption now the Stranglehold Demo i have played and it is outstanding to say the least and a solid 9.

lge777

I'll bet you a make fun of me sig that it won't get a 9. I BET YOU, comon bring it on, i swear.

Camper_On_Creat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Camper_On_Creat

Are you people actually comparing this game to Halo, and saying this game is better than Halo? How stupid are you?kevy619

ROFL, if you trust this kind of opinion then you need help.

Vis-a-Vis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Vis-a-Vis

Are you people actually comparing this game to Halo, and saying this game is better than Halo? How stupid are you?kevy619

I apologize for having an opinion and not worshiping Halo as my lord and savior I apologize for not kissing Bungies feet for making what is to be hailed as the second coming of Christ.

Geez, Halo is great, but there are better games ya know, and after playing both demos (One being a beta, not a demo but close enough) I had more fun with Stranglehold.

Simple as that.

lge777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 lge777
[QUOTE="lge777"]

FamilyGuyFan507

I'll bet you a make fun of me sig that it won't get a 9. I BET YOU, comon bring it on, i swear.

This is a "DEMO REVIEW" i do not have the whole game to say if the game will or will not get in the 9's, But from the demo i am buying the game i have Bioshock paid for already but i am going to Gamestop tomorrow and change it Stranglehold.

o_sausage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#25 o_sausage
Member since 2006 • 5919 Posts
Here's what I say

Gameplay: 8.5

Graphics:7.1

Controls:8.7

Sound:8.4

Storyline: Not gonna rate until I actually play throught the game

Overall:7.9

It was Ok and I'll rent it but it's not GOTY material. It will be a good game to preocupy us until Bioshock but it won't win many awards. Graphics were terrible I'd give them 6 but the destructibility made up for it. Gameplay was good but didn't always feel fluid but when it did it was awesome. Controls are decent but occaisionally it felt like they were working against me.

DaRockWilder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 DaRockWilder
Member since 2002 • 5451 Posts
Its good but nowhere near GOTY.
Vis-a-Vis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Vis-a-Vis
Here's what I say

Gameplay: 8.5

Graphics:7.1

Controls:8.7

Sound:8.4

Overall:7.9

It was Ok and I'll rent it but it's not GOTY material. It will be a good game to preocupy us until Bioshock but it won't win many awards. Graphics were terrible I'd give them 6 but the destructibility made up for it. Gameplay was good but didn't always feel fluid but when it did it was awesome. Controls are decent but occaisionally it felt like they were working against me.

o_sausage

Definately agree, I thought the graphics were better than a 7.1 maybe an 8, but I agree with everything else, not GOTY material.

I thought it was a great game, not revolutionary or anything, just a fun game to play.

luke182777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 luke182777
Member since 2005 • 3070 Posts

Camper_On_Creat

i like how hypocritical you are. actually, i dont like it and i think you need to change.

Avatar image for ColoradoKindBud
ColoradoKindBud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 ColoradoKindBud
Member since 2005 • 23882 Posts
Wow, way to jump the gun! How are you going to rate the storyline from a 15 minute demo???
Trickshot771

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Trickshot771
Member since 2005 • 12686 Posts
Stranglehold won't even be a contender for GoTY. Not with games like Bioshock, Mass Effect, CoD4, and Halo 3 coming out.
masori

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 masori
Member since 2005 • 1680 Posts

o_sausage

the good old vengeance story (that's my guest)

FamilyGuyFan507

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 FamilyGuyFan507
[QUOTE="FamilyGuyFan507"][QUOTE="lge777"]

lge777

This is a "DEMO REVIEW" i do not have the whole game to say if the game will or will not get in the 9's, But from the demo i am buying the game i have Bioshock paid for already but i am going to Gamestop tomorrow and change it Stranglehold.

Wait are we talking bout Game of the year or Mistake of the Year?

Shade-Blade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Shade-Blade
Member since 2007 • 4930 Posts
Gameplay is fun. Graphics are... ok. Im definatly buying this game but its no Game of the year. It has Bioshock, Mass Effect, Halo 3, Call of Duty 4, and Assassins Creed to go agains.
broke812

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#34 broke812
Member since 2003 • 970 Posts

WTF, alright this game was decent but game of the year is smoking crack

FamilyGuyFan507

smoking crack...never heard of that game

dukerav

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 dukerav
Member since 2003 • 2029 Posts
Shhhh, what's that I hear? Its the postman coming to my door to deliver me Stranglehold via Gamefly. GOTY material ? I think not. It was decent, not exactly the most innovative ideas I have ever seen, but decent, at any rate it is a sigh of relief after having played the Hour of Victory demo.
themexican201

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 themexican201
Member since 2003 • 368 Posts
Its alright but saying it'll beat out bioshock for goty is just nuts. Having played the demo it feels too maxpayne like in a sense minus the ability to reheal yourself at relative ease. The interactive sequences where you press the LT are pretty fun don't get me wrong but I hope they polish iit up a little bit because, for me, there is just something that is missing I can't say what but something is. Oh and whats the deal with you punching a enemy they go flying all over the place and smash up a concrete pillar, maybe he has super strength? ( Or does it have to do with the movie hardboiled so I can know how tequila got his crazy powers) I'd say it'll be a pretty decent game but considering bioshock is already being held to game of the year standards by some reviewers it'll be tough to follow suit. I'll be picking this up though maybe not first day but maybe first week after I see some of the reviews and such. Curse the game companies for having such a blockbuster packed couple of months after summer. :)
MyEarHurt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 MyEarHurt
Member since 2003 • 165 Posts
[QUOTE="MyEarHurt"]

Camper_On_Creat

Halo 3!!!! ROFL. Wow you do know what you are talking about, lol.

Yeah I do. Check the reviews for Halo 3 and check the reviews for Stranglehold, then check the sales figures and then right after that check the amount of people playing the game online a year from now and finally 3 years later check and see which game people still talk about. Guaranteed Halo 3 sells more, gets better reviews, has more people playing a year from now and in three years no one will even remember Stranglehold. Sorry that you work for Midway and your dream of hyping this game just died.

Avatar image for gorilazandgames
gorilazandgames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 gorilazandgames
Member since 2006 • 7937 Posts
stranglehold versus bioshock o god don't make me choose!
drewdelapoots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 drewdelapoots
Member since 2004 • 273 Posts

Stranglehold = rental

Bioshock = purchase a million times

Danny2712

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Danny2712
Member since 2007 • 95 Posts

ok bioshock has sweet looking graphics and gameplay..great world too. but for some reason i just dont like it as much. Stranglehold is a likeable game even though the specs are'nt as great. Bioshock will sell more, but wheres my character? all i see is his hands wtf? Chow Yun-Fat rocks the block... Strangles based on a movie so i guess it'll just a be a room to room style 3rd person shooter. But i say it'll be FUNNER than BioShock. Ppl will probably go back and play through Stranglehold a second and maybe even a third time eventually. BioShock will be a more in-depth story and i dunno bout u but im only playin it once coz its just not worth it to me. The more involved you get the less you wanna re-play it because the story was finished finally..

which sounds better.. fat guys in underwater suit thingys trying to kill u-if u provoke them.

or plonk me (a 'hardboiled' renegade detective) in a 2 storey restaurant with dual pistols, full of bad guys, and watch me kill them all in slow-mo.

notice my movie reference play on words? yeah u did...

Reigun147

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Reigun147
Member since 2005 • 788 Posts
i don't know how reliable your review is if you gave the demo a 9.0 for the storyline.
Astral_Vapor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Astral_Vapor
Member since 2007 • 276 Posts
It is a great game indeed.
Reigun147

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Reigun147
Member since 2005 • 788 Posts
oh yeah, and i think that controls were weak. turning was real slow.
battlefront23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#44 battlefront23
Member since 2006 • 12625 Posts

I agreed with you, but then you mentioned BioShock....BioShockOwnz

yeah it was good and cool but nothing revolutionary. Max Payne or The Matrix anyone?

battlefront23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 battlefront23

Camper_On_Creat

You know nothing. It was good not great. I've seen this stuff before. Bioshock is very revolutioary with what it offers. Stranglehold will not get a 9. No way!

BarkLikeADog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 BarkLikeADog
Member since 2006 • 713 Posts
This game is fun as hell, no doubt.
BarkLikeADog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 BarkLikeADog
Member since 2006 • 713 Posts
[QUOTE="Camper_On_Creat"]

battlefront23

You know nothing. It was good not great. I've seen this stuff before. Bioshock is very revolutioary with what it offers. Stranglehold will not get a 9. No way!

From what i saw the game at best will get a 8.3-8.6. There hasnt been a game of "epic" proportions all summer.

battlefront23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 battlefront23
[QUOTE="battlefront23"][QUOTE="Camper_On_Creat"]

BarkLikeADog

From what i saw the game at best will get a 8.3-8.6. There hasnt been a game of "epic" proportions all summer.

But the Fall will make up for it!

xAngelxDustx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 xAngelxDustx
Member since 2007 • 392 Posts
hmmm, sounds like a good demo, i'll make sure to download it 2morrow morning, 2 lazy 2 do so right now :D
bluezclue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 bluezclue
Member since 2005 • 1865 Posts
only thing so far that i do not like is the sliding on the damn tables... everytime u get near it u slide.... its annoying... it would be perfect if they used the dive button to activate the sliding on the table when u are near one... instead of it doing it automatically... i can see this being very very annoying... also sometimes ur crosshairs go in front of ur body and u see the cross hair on ur body and u cant really see what ur shooting at so far its a 8... the demo that is... im not done with it though... i like the dive button a lot though... its cool... u can jump on walls and off of em... pretty cool