Sick of "big brother" watching over my stuff.

• 74 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for sharpshooter188
sharpshooter188

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 sharpshooter188
Member since 2003 • 4368 Posts

I just noticed this when i removed my hard drive to take to my friends house the other day.

Everything except for like 2 demos and my music was accessible because i was not logged into live. I.E. Microsoft could not keep an eye on me.

All of my stuff was locked. My videos, fear 2 demo, even my ****ing arcade games were set to "trial versions" even though i purchased them in full because i had to download the licensing on another xbox. Im sick of this and its becoming a bigger and bigger problem.

Im suddenly reminded of STEAM and those 20'000 accounts that got destroyed because of past violations. Even if you bought things legally. We no longer buy the things we play.. its like we only lease or rent them anymore. It just really bothers me that i have to have an eye kept on me, for me to do anything.

What happened to just having a saved game? Profiles are no longer individuality tags, they are locked into place and stored on a specific xbox so ****ing microsoft can keep an eye on you and your content.

What do you guys think about this? I mean in all seriousness, this whole licensing issue to battle piracy is getting out of hand and we the consumer are paying for it hardcore. The only reason the companies come up with to justify it is that of a cops reason to search your car. Privacy is a thing of the past.

Its like the "If you have nothing to hide then let us search your car" Yeah you may not have anything illegal but its just the fact that your privacy is not being respected anymore.

San-Frodenzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 69

#2 San-Frodenzo
Member since 2008 • 14337 Posts
yeah... I hate that I need to be online to play some DLC for rockband I downloaded with my first 360 (I didn't know about the licensing process at that time and I mean, I downloaded that 65 songs 2 times now... I don't plan doing it again :evil: )
DPhunkT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 DPhunkT
Member since 2008 • 1803 Posts
I know it sucks. I lost 5 xbox live arcade games because of a RROD issue just because I saved my hard drive for a new core system. What can I do about it? Nothing, they got me, I'll keep buying their games and systems.
San-Frodenzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 San-Frodenzo

I know it sucks. I lost 5 xbox live arcade games because of a RROD issue just because I saved my hard drive for a new core system. What can I do about it? Nothing, they got me, I'll keep buying their games and systems.DPhunkT

wait, can't you redownload them?

guthwulf_de

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 guthwulf_de
Member since 2004 • 13209 Posts
Although I can understand that companies want to protect their intellectual property and ensure that they are paid for what they produce, the digital rights management is far from being perfect. I'm not really affected by it because I only play on my own console at home, but the fact that the games you purchased digitally, which therefore belong to you in the same way your hard copy games do, can not be used in the same way is an issue which definitely has to be addressed.
PlasmaBeam44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#6 PlasmaBeam44
Member since 2007 • 9052 Posts

I know it sucks. I lost 5 xbox live arcade games because of a RROD issue just because I saved my hard drive for a new core system. What can I do about it? Nothing, they got me, I'll keep buying their games and systems.DPhunkT

They do have an option to transfer all your licenses to a new system if you changed your console. Those XBLA games are not lost. Go to www.xbox.com/drm to transfer your licenses to your new system and get your games back.

2pac_makaveli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 2pac_makaveli
Member since 2008 • 1681 Posts
if you do not like how microsofts xbox360 works i advise you to get a different system and stop complaining about the 360, the threads comlaining about MS are starting to get old
guthwulf_de

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 guthwulf_de
Member since 2004 • 13209 Posts
if you do not like how microsofts xbox360 works i advise you to get a different system and stop complaining about the 360, the threads comlaining about MS are starting to get old2pac_makaveli
Just because you buy a certain system does not mean you have to be 100% happy with it, and it certainly does not mean you aren't allowed to voice the concerns/problems you have with it. What kind of attitude is that? :?
San-Frodenzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 San-Frodenzo
yeah, It's not like the other 2 options we have are flawless man...
Buddha_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Buddha_basic
Member since 2002 • 546 Posts
[QUOTE="2pac_makaveli"]if you do not like how microsofts xbox360 works i advise you to get a different system and stop complaining about the 360, the threads comlaining about MS are starting to get oldguthwulf_de
Just because you buy a certain system does not mean you have to be 100% happy with it, and it certainly does not mean you aren't allowed to voice the concerns/problems you have with it. What kind of attitude is that? :?

Exactly. Feedback is there to make things better...not just to ***** and moan. And by the way if a cop asks to search your car...just say no. :)
sharpshooter188

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 sharpshooter188
if you do not like how microsofts xbox360 works i advise you to get a different system and stop complaining about the 360, the threads comlaining about MS are starting to get old2pac_makaveli
i would normally agree with this but all systems are incorporating this and its becoming a major problem.
Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#12 Jaysonguy
Member since 2006 • 39454 Posts

You agreed to it when you purchased the console and every service that goes along with it.

If it bothered you then you shouldn't have used the services or even the console. These are the features that Microsoft has chosen to protect themselves and if it was going to be an issue then you should have chosen another platform.

sharpshooter188

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 sharpshooter188
read above statement. All systems are incorporating this type of technology. A LOT of programs and hardware do this now which is a problem in itself, I got fed up with it once this became an issue on the 360. The "last straw" as it were. I really dont understand why you go out of your way to defend the people that are constantly trying to keep an eye on the things you "bought" from them.
raahsnavj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#14 raahsnavj
Member since 2005 • 4895 Posts
[QUOTE="Jaysonguy"]

You agreed to it when you purchased the console and every service that goes along with it.

If it bothered you then you shouldn't have used the services or even the console. These are the features that Microsoft has chosen to protect themselves and if it was going to be an issue then you should have chosen another platform.

exactly... and this isn't 'big brother', this is the license owner, which is different than the government watching me. I personally don't care how much big bother watches me seeming I'm not breaking the law... when they try to pin crap on me, that's when I'll get my gun.
sharpshooter188

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 sharpshooter188
[QUOTE="raahsnavj"][QUOTE="Jaysonguy"]

exactly... and this isn't 'big brother', this is the license owner, which is different than the government watching me. I personally don't care how much big bother watches me seeming I'm not breaking the law... when they try to pin crap on me, that's when I'll get my gun.

Big brother is usually a term given to those who are trying to keep an eye on the stuff you purchase from them. Even after you purchase it, it still is not yours. As much as i want to call you a tool, you are indeed entitled to your opinion. However there is no recourse in just selecting another system as i mentioned before because all systems and the majority of programs now incorporate this type of "licensing".
_Kikode_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 _Kikode_
Member since 2008 • 434 Posts
Yes Im sick Of Big Brother but IMO with Xbox live its not that bad I mean I can still play my arcade and Xbox originals when Im not connected. What bothers me is games like steam where if your not connected to the net you cant play. Actually I never once wasnt connected to the net when I tried playing Orange box but I think if your arent connected on PC you cant play that is garbage for a single player game (Then again its just what I heard.) Im more pissed off at the pirates because f people would just pay for there games we wouldnt have to put up with this all though we know of NO DRM system that has stopped the pirates EVER so basically only legit buyers are punished!!!!
skinny_man_69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 94

#17 skinny_man_69
Member since 2005 • 5147 Posts
I just get extrememly annoyed when I go over to a friend's house with MY hard drive and am unable to play my DLC songs from Rock Band or even my Mass Effect or Oblivion expansions just because I am not hooked up to Live. I mean seriously, I payed for them, they are on MY hard drive why for all that is holy can I not play these things?
sharpshooter188

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 sharpshooter188
Piracy comes from a variety of reasons but personally i think if the companies want to chop down piracy, they need to reduce the prices of the product. $50 is the maximum that i think we were all comfortable with... once it got to $60, it was heading back to teh 70-80 dollar cartridges that nintendo and sega used. Same goes for cds etc. 15 bucks is a bit absurd. Especially if it turns out to be a cd with 3-4 songs im interested in. Though they do have recourse now where you can buy those online by themselves which is good. So thats part of a solution. Though i have to admit youd probably hate me. Ive downloaded games before... not many.....er....... ... actually no i take that back... the games i did download were turok 1 and 2 for the pc which i already owned on the 64.. i just preferred the pc controls over the 64s.
sharpshooter188

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 sharpshooter188
I just get extrememly annoyed when I go over to a friend's house with MY hard drive and am unable to play my DLC songs from Rock Band or even my Mass Effect or Oblivion expansions just because I am not hooked up to Live. I mean seriously, I payed for them, they are on MY hard drive why for all that is holy can I not play these things? skinny_man_69
a short and simple example of what im against. Amen brother. note: apologies to the others who did not agree with me. Im just fuming about it still. Your opinions are still respected to a degree. I just wish there were more alternative solutions.
sharpshooter188

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 sharpshooter188
[QUOTE="sharpshooter188"][QUOTE="raahsnavj"] exactly... and this isn't 'big brother', this is the license owner, which is different than the government watching me. I personally don't care how much big bother watches me seeming I'm not breaking the law... when they try to pin crap on me, that's when I'll get my gun.raahsnavj
Big brother is usually a term given to those who are trying to keep an eye on the stuff you purchase from them. Even after you purchase it, it still is not yours. As much as i want to call you a tool, you are indeed entitled to your opinion. However there is no recourse in just selecting another system as i mentioned before because all systems and the majority of programs now incorporate this type of "licensing".

Nice try... Big Brother - or another definition... I can keep up with these all day. so it turns out one of us knows the definition and the other is just spouting what they 'thought' it meant... Call it DRM if you want, but pinning this crap on the government is incorrect.

using the term in its idea. The idea of big brother is being presented here. Steam is the more extreme definition. big brother being the corporations. Same idea. I like the way you try to demean my opinion on the matter by throwing literal definitions. You know what i was getting at. I dont believe it was as strict as DRM. The worst case of DRM that i encountered was i believe the crysis expansion or something along those lines. supposedly only 5 installs and then the game wouldnt work anymore.
Tjeremiah1988

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Tjeremiah1988
Member since 2003 • 16665 Posts
why do people always present this logic? He owns it, he has a right to complain for the thing he purchase and is continuing to pay for.
raahsnavj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#23 raahsnavj
Member since 2005 • 4895 Posts
[QUOTE="raahsnavj"][QUOTE="sharpshooter188"] Big brother is usually a term given to those who are trying to keep an eye on the stuff you purchase from them. Even after you purchase it, it still is not yours. As much as i want to call you a tool, you are indeed entitled to your opinion. However there is no recourse in just selecting another system as i mentioned before because all systems and the majority of programs now incorporate this type of "licensing".sharpshooter188
Nice try... Big Brother - or another definition... I can keep up with these all day. so it turns out one of us knows the definition and the other is just spouting what they 'thought' it meant... Call it DRM if you want, but pinning this crap on the government is incorrect.

using the term in its idea. The idea of big brother is being presented here. Steam is the more extreme definition. big brother being the corporations. Same idea. I like the way you try to demean my opinion on the matter by throwing literal definitions. You know what i was getting at. I dont believe it was as strict as DRM. The worst case of DRM that i encountered was i believe the crysis expansion or something along those lines. supposedly only 5 installs and then the game wouldnt work anymore.

Upon looking at the next 5... so it seems that the definition now includes 'organization'... point taken and I correct myself. But as such I repeat again, I'm not breaking the law, thus I don't care, where-as those hauling around their files, which would be attempting to break the license agreement that stated such files were licensed to their Xbox only, are complaining... In a real big brother experience, you would have got a law suit by doing such, so I guess what we have now is better than the 'full' experience. Yet, for some odd reason people WANT to go full digital downloads and such next gen? I'm not a big fan of DRM and such either, but when it costs nothing to make more than one copy of a product too many people justify just taking it. Thank them for the current model by giving them a swift kick to the gonads if you find one.
jarvis008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 jarvis008
Member since 2008 • 518 Posts

I just get extrememly annoyed when I go over to a friend's house with MY hard drive and am unable to play my DLC songs from Rock Band or even my Mass Effect or Oblivion expansions just because I am not hooked up to Live. I mean seriously, I payed for them, they are on MY hard drive why for all that is holy can I not play these things? skinny_man_69

The DLC that you buy is connected to your xbox live account, this means that you can delete content and re-download it at no extra cost, or if your hdd broke or was stolen you would still be able to download content you had bought again at no extra cost. This is good for us, I had my xbox stolen but could re-download it to my new console when I got a replacement.

The reason the product license is linked to your account is because if it wasn't you could log into your account and download content on someone elses console and then as they had the content on their hdd they would be able to play it without paying for it. Microsoft obviously doesn't like people being able to get free content rather than buying it. What they are doing is not in anyway wrong and it would be madness for them to do it any other way.

Having said that, to the people saying things along the line of "if you don't like it don't buy their products", you are stupid. There is nothing wrong with complaining about a problem you have with a company or it's products. The world genereally isn't black or white where you either love or hate a product, you may well really like a product but have a few things you would like to see changed and if you want anything to be done about it you should complain.

sharpshooter188

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 sharpshooter188
[QUOTE="sharpshooter188"][QUOTE="raahsnavj"] Nice try... Big Brother - or another definition... I can keep up with these all day. so it turns out one of us knows the definition and the other is just spouting what they 'thought' it meant... Call it DRM if you want, but pinning this crap on the government is incorrect.raahsnavj

Upon looking at the next 5... so it seems that the definition now includes 'organization'... point taken and I correct myself. But as such I repeat again, I'm not breaking the law, thus I don't care, where-as those hauling around their files, which would be attempting to break the license agreement that stated such files were licensed to their Xbox only, are complaining... In a real big brother experience, you would have got a law suit by doing such, so I guess what we have now is better than the 'full' experience. Yet, for some odd reason people WANT to go full digital downloads and such next gen? I'm not a big fan of DRM and such either, but when it costs nothing to make more than one copy of a product too many people justify just taking it. Thank them for the current model by giving them a swift kick to the gonads if you find one.

lol will do.
nethernova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 nethernova
Member since 2008 • 5721 Posts
Actually I never once wasnt connected to the net when I tried playing Orange box but I think if your arent connected on PC you cant play that is garbage for a single player game (Then again its just what I heard.)_Kikode_
Then you heard a lie. Of course you can play HL2 on PC without being connected to the internet. Like you said, it's a single player game after all. People just need to read their manuals from time to time. This is not directed to you, but to people who can't figure out how to simply start a game. Anyway, I don't see a problem here. Microsoft doesn't want you to go around and give downloaded stuff to your friends. So what? Are you people really saying that you can't understand why they do that? Come on.
Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Jaysonguy

read above statement. All systems are incorporating this type of technology. A LOT of programs and hardware do this now which is a problem in itself, I got fed up with it once this became an issue on the 360. The "last straw" as it were. I really dont understand why you go out of your way to defend the people that are constantly trying to keep an eye on the things you "bought" from them.sharpshooter188

Because they have a right to protection

The idea that "I bought it so nah nah!" can't be used in the real world.

Yes you DO own it and part of owning it is following how the maker/developer wants you to use it.

It's silly to say that a company can't protect itself from losses. Having the ability to do "whateva I want" with everything leaves the company wide open to all sorts of theft. That's not fair.

If you're going to deal with technology then you have to deal with how the industry chooses to protect itself. Plus Microsoft is about as user friendly when it comes to how they protect themselves. They allow hard drives and content to be moved. They allow games to be copied right to the hard drive. They allow numerous ways of it's Live service to be billed to a credit card or just used directly from Live account cards.

You can't fault them for wanting to protect their investment, it's wrong to think otherwise.

MrDziekuje

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#28 MrDziekuje
Member since 2004 • 7730 Posts
I flipped out when I took my hard-drive to my friends house to play four-player Castle Crashers, only to find the trial version. There's no reason you should have to use your hard-drive with your 360 if you want to play stuff YOU'VE ALREADY PAID FOR. I'm not redistributing it, I'm not copying it, I just want to play the damn thing where I please.
dRuGGeRnaUt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 dRuGGeRnaUt
Member since 2006 • 1637 Posts
I have gone through 4 xboxes now. I am currently on my SECOND elite. I have followed ALL OF THE STEPS TO REDOWNLOAD all the games. Yet STILL when the internet is not working, i get AT LEAST 12 of my arcade games dont work. 3 of those are new, mega man 9 braid and duke nukem. I bought those on this CURRENT console, yet they still dont work. Sonic 1 never worked in the first place, and everytime i try to play, i have to go to redownload it from within the game. The "redownload will fix everything" is a lie, these games are flawed. If I buy these games on my xbox, and then when done downloading the internet goes down, i cant play most of them. I was told by 18004myxbox, that redownloading would fix it... NOPE, then they said this was an isolated incident, and that all the newer arcade games dont have that problem... LIE... I love the games i have for my xbox, but unfortunately, that just means i like the companies that make the games... i hate microsoft, and this is the last console i will ever buy.. after my first box died, i already had enough money invested into games and accessories that it wasnt worth getting rid of, now i am stuck with a POS system... Just FYI: The elite i bought is one of the newer ones, with the new chip, and in less than 3 months, i got the rrod.. **** microsoft. HORAY for their game developers.
Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Jaysonguy

I flipped out when I took my hard-drive to my friends house to play four-player Castle Crashers, only to find the trial version. There's no reason you should have to use your hard-drive with your 360 if you want to play stuff YOU'VE ALREADY PAID FOR. I'm not redistributing it, I'm not copying it, I just want to play the damn thing where I please.MrDziekuje

It knows that how?

JS0123456789

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 JS0123456789
Member since 2007 • 927 Posts
Yep, this sucks, pretty soon we'll all have to get government/corporate chips implanted under our skin for "our own protection."
Skullcandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#32 Skullcandy
Member since 2003 • 763 Posts

Contra el systema baby! The only way to avoid 'big brother' is to drop off the grid, and the system has made damn sure you can't succeed without their approval. American Revolution II is in the not too distant future.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=706520527765921912

Tjeremiah1988

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Tjeremiah1988
Member since 2003 • 16665 Posts
Yep, this sucks, pretty soon we'll all have to get government/corporate chips implanted under our skin for "our own protection." JS0123456789
"mark of the beast". But thats another thread.
Senor_Kami

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#34 Senor_Kami
Member since 2008 • 8529 Posts
Everyone I know has the internet so having to log on to the internet to access stuff is a zero factor for me. I guess its a benefit of not living in the boondocks.
doomsoth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#35 doomsoth
Member since 2003 • 10094 Posts
[QUOTE="skinny_man_69"]I just get extrememly annoyed when I go over to a friend's house with MY hard drive and am unable to play my DLC songs from Rock Band or even my Mass Effect or Oblivion expansions just because I am not hooked up to Live. I mean seriously, I payed for them, they are on MY hard drive why for all that is holy can I not play these things? sharpshooter188
a short and simple example of what im against. Amen brother. note: apologies to the others who did not agree with me. Im just fuming about it still. Your opinions are still respected to a degree. I just wish there were more alternative solutions.

I completely agree and I actually complained to customer service about it and they said they could do nothing about it; I thought BS and asked to speak to a manager; eventually, they told me that there's a tool that you can use to move DRM over to new hardware. It's stupid, I know. I hope they eventually get rid of all of the DRM BS.
doomsoth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#36 doomsoth
Member since 2003 • 10094 Posts
Everyone I know has the internet so having to log on to the internet to access stuff is a zero factor for me. I guess its a benefit of not living in the boondocks.Senor_Kami
So, when XBL no longer exists, don't come complaining. Oh...and just because you're able to afford it while other people can't: you need to grow up out of your narcissistic little hole.
vmfstorm1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#37 vmfstorm1
Member since 2005 • 300 Posts

I was, in fact, a victim of the Steam deletions, several years ago due to "account inactivity and illegal modding" oh yeah, and cracking versions of the game. Now while I don't partake in any of those things, I don't even know how to mod or crack games, I do believe that it is important for a company to keep track of their clients. Whether theyre right or wrong it doesn't necessarily matter, they have to keep purchasing up, and if that means not allowing you to use something at a friends house it's simply a way for them to squeeze more money out of people. IF it was as simple as bring a hardrive places I could just install whatever and take it whereever and give it to whomever, they just won't let this happen. It's not as free of a country as everyone would like.

Even with the secu-ROM on Spore, it's a little absurd that one is only allowed to install Spore on 4 or five computers, I personally am routinely on several different computers and would like to have it installed on every single one, however, I sadly cannot. I completely agree with you that this stuff is getting a little out of hand, profiteering can only get a company so far, and if their fan base starts to realize that theyre more after the profit instead of customer service, they will begin to lose customers at an alarming rate.

vmfstorm1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 vmfstorm1
Member since 2005 • 300 Posts

Everyone I know has the internet so having to log on to the internet to access stuff is a zero factor for me. I guess its a benefit of not living in the boondocks.Senor_Kami

Seriously not everyone's mommy and daddy pay for XBL. Especially in this economy when 50 dollars is much better spent on food or gas instead of a year subscription to intangible goods and services.

Avatar image for Morning_Revival
Morning_Revival

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Morning_Revival
Member since 2008 • 3475 Posts
yeah... I hate that I need to be online to play some DLC for rockband I downloaded with my first 360 (I didn't know about the licensing process at that time and I mean, I downloaded that 65 songs 2 times now... I don't plan doing it again :evil: )San-Frodenzo
I did something similiar. I downloaded about 60-70 songs for Rock Band, and then I forgot my password for the Gamertag so I had to get a new one and Ive lost all my songs. Pisses me off.
poetsoul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#40 poetsoul
Member since 2006 • 321 Posts

Without trying to sound cute, I think both sides have a point here.

1) Absolutely if we, the consumer, think something is wrong or undesireable in a product, we should make our disatisfication known. It's the only way to change the system.

2) Unfortunately, the loudest voice we possess is our refusal to buy products. In that sense, we SHOULD refuse to purchase something we find objectiionable.

The reality is DRM exists today as the result of the prisoners dilemma. People desire a product for free, and they desire to use it wherever they like. Companies don't really give a damn where we use a product as long as we pay for it, but because there are people who commit piracy, they're forced to enact protocols to guard against theft. DRM and internet-mandatory games are the inevitable result.

If you ask me, we shouldn't be blaming Microsoft and Steam - they're simply looking to protect themselves and their products, as they have every right to do. I say, blame the people who force companies to enact those annoying anti-theft measures. You have the 2 million people who pirated Spore (literally, 2 million) to thank for your Arcade troubles, sharpshooter188. Feel free to bug Microsoft about it, but in the end you'll either have to refuse to buy their products or help combat the culture that makes it socially acceptable to steal in the first place.

edit: someone needs to learn to use a spell checker

poetsoul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#41 poetsoul
Member since 2006 • 321 Posts
And here, here, to that!
Avatar image for TheSylntChamber
TheSylntChamber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#42 TheSylntChamber
Member since 2009 • 242 Posts
Saying it's to prevent piracy is just idiotic. Do you really think people who want to pirate the games are being affected? Nope they could care less. Same way with them banning all the 360 consoles that were modded. Guess what, you just gave them a system they can't get online with, but can still play pirated games. Think they will stop? Only people they are hurting by "combating piracy" is the legit consumers.
Palantas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Palantas
Member since 2002 • 15329 Posts

[QUOTE="raahsnavj"]

Big Brother

sharpshooter188

Big Brother

I haven't put a whole lot of thought into this, but here goes...

I think the term "Big Brother" is misused or exaggerated here (and that's not just because I know raahsnavj...Hi raahsnavj). "Big Brother" came from 1984 (or was at least popularized by it), and refers to a gross encroachment on personal privacy. Originally, the perpetrator was the government, though this could apply to a corporate entity. I don't think that's the case here, though. Big Brother was about underhandedly monitoring every second of peoples' lives with the intent of interferring with their basic human rights and modifying their behavior. DRM is about businesses protecting their property.

Microsoft has the right to make people jump through hoops to use their property because it's their property. They're under no moral obligation to provide anyone with any content, just like you're under no obligation to buy any of their content. If they want to make you perform a five minute rain dance to play a game as a form of DRM, they can do that; the market will adjust accordingly. I think DRM can be a major pain in the ass, but comparing DRM to a violation of your civil liberties is silly. There's a point where DRM becomes so cumbersome it either reduces sales, encourages piracy, or both. That's obviously a problem for businesses and consumers, but it's not a moral problem.

Palantas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Palantas

Saying it's to prevent piracy is just idiotic. Do you really think people who want to pirate the games are being affected? Nope they could care less. Same way with them banning all the 360 consoles that were modded. Guess what, you just gave them a system they can't get online with, but can still play pirated games. Think they will stop? Only people they are hurting by "combating piracy" is the legit consumers.

TheSylntChamber

If Microsoft can prevent pirates from playing on Live, then that will cut into piracy. Unless, you for some reason believe that--in spite of the popularity and significance of multiplayer gaming--people who pirate games don't want to play online. That makes no sense.

Avatar image for TheSylntChamber
TheSylntChamber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#45 TheSylntChamber
Member since 2009 • 242 Posts

[QUOTE="TheSylntChamber"]

Palantas

If Microsoft can prevent pirates from playing on Live, then that will cut into piracy. Unless, you for some reason believe that--in spite of the popularity and significance of multiplayer gaming--people who pirate games don't want to play online. That makes no sense.

Please explain this logic. Microsoft wants to help combat piracy so they ban 360's that are found to be modded. Now what does this accomplish?

1) The person now has a system that can't get online, so they are going to just keep that system as one to play all their pirated games on that are offline games.

2) They go out and buy another system (which they will in turn probably just mod again to play burnt games)

3) There was a sudden flood of trade in and used 360's on the internet for sale that got pawned off on innocent people.

In the end who was helped? Micro$oft, they sold more systems.

Who was hurt? The legit gamer who faces stiffer rules and possibly got screwed on a used banned system.

Who was untouched? The ones pirating to begin with. They either got a system to keep playing illegal games or a new 360 and pawned the old off to the innocent. Think about this if they played 10 illegal games at $60 a pop that's $600 they "saved". If they in turn had to go buy a cheap system because theirs got banned for $200 they have in turn still saved $400. They will in turn probably mod that one and play another 10 games at $60 a pop again.

Now who is Micro$oft protecting? Supposedly the consumer and the game companies. Yet the game companies don't see any extra sales, but Micro$oft does. In the end it's about Micro$oft making themselves more money. They could careless about the consumer or the game developers.

***My post is in NO WAY condoning modding or piracy. It's very illegal and hurts developers from producing better quality games in the future. I just don't agree with Micro$ofts flawed logic and the sheep that follow it.

Palantas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Palantas

1) The person now has a system that can't get online, so they are going to just keep that system as one to play all their pirated games on that are offline games.

TheSylntChamber

Right. Pirates can't play online now.

2) They go out and buy another system (which they will in turn probably just mod again to play burnt games)

TheSylntChamber

Okay, so a pirate who has a modded Xbox that he can't play online is going to go out and buy another Xbox...and also mod that one. Why?

3) There was a sudden flood of trade in and used 360's on the internet for sale that got pawned off on innocent people.

TheSylntChamber

That's 90% a dishonest seller's fault and 10% a naïve buyer's fault. Microsoft has nothing to do with it.

Who was hurt? The legit gamer who faces stiffer rules and possibly got screwed on a used banned system. (Et cetera.)

TheSylntChamber

And pirates who can't play downloaded games online. Your post completely fails to rebuff the issue I raised, so I'll just post it again:

If Microsoft can prevent pirates from playing on Live, then that will cut into piracy. Unless, you for some reason believe that--in spite of the popularity and significance of multiplayer gaming--people who pirate games don't want to play online.

I

My post never addressed whether or not DRM is a pain in the ass for legitimate users. In fact, I said as much in another post on this thread. I want to know why you think that banning pirates from Xbox Live will not interfere with their activities.

Wait...Unless that's what this was about:

Who was untouched? The ones pirating to begin with. They either got a system to keep playing illegal games or a new 360 and pawned the old off to the innocent.

TheSylntChamber

Are you being serious here? You think that pirates will keep buying Xboxes, modding them, selling them when they're banned...repeat? Where exactly are pirates going to get a "cheap system"? Your entire rant about this harming the "innocent user" was based on the fact that second hand Xboxes are likely to be banned. The only way this would consistently work is if pirates buy new systems, or used systems that are verified not-banned (which would be more expensive than a random eBay Xbox). There is no way this would be profitable. The pirate would lose money every time he does this, to the point where it would eventually just be cheaper to buy a legit system.

And should I even touch this next part?

Think about this if they played 10 illegal games at $60 a pop that's $600 they "saved". If they in turn had to go buy a cheap system because theirs got banned for $200 they have in turn still saved $400.

TheSylntChamber

Jesus Christ... Just because I've "saved" money on stolen intellectual property doesn't mean I'm any richer, nor does it affect my cash flow. Let's go with your 10 games per ban, and -$200 net for the Xbox swapout (which is very conservative). So we come up with your "$400 saved" figure. Let's do this for the most of the library, we'll say, 500 games.

::runs numbers::

Wow, our pirate has saved $20,000! Sweet! Oh wait, guess what? He's spent $10,000 in cash. So great; he's dropped out of community college, can't make the payments on his Honda, and he's had his plasma TV repossessed...but damn if he doesn't have a lot of stolen games he can't play online. "Savings" does not equal cash. This is the sort of mentality that has someone thinking if they buy a Sam's Club-worth of "buy one, get one free" bulk ramen noodle specials, that they'll be a millionaire. And even that's better than your piracy idea, as crates of second-hand ramen noodles are at least worth something, whereas burnt Xbox games are worth nothing.

In the end it's about Micro$oft making themselves more money.

TheSylntChamber

You're stating this like it's supposed to be a shocking revelation. It's... Whatever, this is another discussion. Just get back to me on the points above.

MartinCaillou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 MartinCaillou
Member since 2009 • 84 Posts

I think the privacy problem is more serious every year.

Here, in Argentina, 90% of the videogames are pirate copies. The mayority of consoles, (except PS3, for now, at least, because the blue-ray) comes "tunned" with the ability lo read copies. This hurts a lot the industry, but if what i´m reading here is truth, then the consumers who buy original products are the ones who take the worst part. I agree that the prices are one big factor in the promotion of ilegal ways to play.

I mean, the lack of liberty and violation of privacy that some of you comment, for me, is unacceptable. Stopping piracy is very difficult, but that´s not excuse to punish those who do the right thing.

The pirates here just download the games on their PCs, put it on dual layer dvd, and play on his tunned console. The consumer paid 60 bucks for a game and obtain restrictions and problems for that? Insane. Something´s not right in the measures they found to combat piracy.

MartinCaillou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 MartinCaillou

Oh, and pirates DO play online in the xbox360. I know.

Sometimes they are banned, but there are still a few ways to solve that problem too. I saw that happen too.

So, the difference i see is that the person who do the right thing, gets to pay 60 bucks and lose freedom, but the people who download game torrents do it for free, and gets just a complication (maybe).

Man, it makes you think. Pirates have a cool game, they do what they want, for free, and the persons who actually buy the games gets problems. Ironically, if all were pirates videogames will cease to exist as the great industry that is today.

So the videogame companies should thank their customers, and make them happy, and not give them trouble, and RRODs, etc.

paulokoenigkam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#49 paulokoenigkam
Member since 2005 • 3930 Posts
Pirates play online. Even if they didn't, they'd play solo or make lans. Most of the pirates aren't in america. Martin Caillou is right
MartinCaillou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 MartinCaillou

The thing is, that the Jack Sparrow problem is almost impossible to solve. They tried different ways to stop piracy, but fail each time.

There are some ideas that they can still try, like lower the prices by doing advertisment inside games or make cool packaging with extras. But if i have to choose, i just ignore the pirates. The music industry had the same problem, and fail in every attempt. I´m beggining to think that it´s impossible to stop piracy.

The only hope it´s to think that in the end, good will prevail, and the people who do the right thing will be far more than the people who doesn´t.