should i get my son halo 3?

• 107 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

prettynice422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 prettynice422
Member since 2005 • 4087 Posts

hi everyone i dont play games much. my son has been bugging me for sometime now. Ido know if its anything like gears of wars he can forget it. Halo 3 has gotten a M rating and thats fine as long as i dont see anyone getting cut in half im fine. So whats the most violent part about halo? BTW my son is only 11.

thanks

destinhpark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#2 destinhpark
Member since 2006 • 4831 Posts

No, don't get it for him.

Shinobi1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Shinobi1234
Member since 2003 • 1429 Posts

hi everyone i dont play games much. my son has been bugging me for sometime now. Ido know if its anything like gears of wars he can forget it. Halo 3 has gotten a M rating and thats fine as long as i dont see anyone getting cut in half im fine. So whats the most violent part about halo? BTW my son is only 11.

thanks

prettynice422

does ur son play xbox live?
Hammerdinz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Hammerdinz
Member since 2005 • 824 Posts
Hes not gonna be those kids who yell! NO SCOPE !! OMG I OWNED YOU!! Because if he is, i don't think xbox live needs another one of those "things".
jamejame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 jamejame
Member since 2005 • 10634 Posts

It's really not that violent, you do kill obviously, but that's about it. There's a minimal amount of blood maybe left on the ground where the person died, but it's NOWHERE near as bloody as Gears. Ultimately though, he's your son, you should be able to decide for yourself by watching some vids. I've been playing Halo since I was 8, it hasn't effected me, and frankly I think your kid would be fine playing it.

GIJesse77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#6 GIJesse77
Member since 2006 • 3034 Posts
I get the feeling hes going to join that crowd of online screamers and blood risers, i mean, halo just does that to inexperienced people. If he was there tfor halo 1 and halo 2, then yeah, but other words, no.
mohammad93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 mohammad93
Member since 2007 • 2090 Posts
[QUOTE="prettynice422"]

thanks

Shinobi1234

does ur son play xbox live?

buy it for him but dont let him play on xbox live because 2 reasons

1) they have soem perverts and I dont think you want your son to know the way of making life lmao

2) If he wants xbox live dont let him talk or listen so that people wont be annoyed of him and he wont listen to bad stuff

GIJesse77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#8 GIJesse77
Member since 2006 • 3034 Posts

It's really not that violent, you do kill obviously, but that's about it. There's a minimal amount of blood maybe left on the ground where the person died, but it's NOWHERE near as bloody as Gears. Ultimately though, he's your son, you should be able to decide for yourself by watching some vids. I've been playing Halo since I was 8, it hasn't effected me, and frankly I think your kid would be fine playing it.

jamejame
darn, you were 8 when you first started playing halo? I was playing metal gear solid for the first time when I was 8.
blacktorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#9 blacktorn
Member since 2004 • 8299 Posts
Buy him Viva Pinata instead
jamejame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 jamejame
Member since 2005 • 10634 Posts
[QUOTE="jamejame"]

GIJesse77
darn, you were 8 when you first started playing halo? I was playing metal gear solid for the first time when I was 8.

Yeah, I was seven or eight, I'm only 14 bro. Metal Gear... great game by the way.
Zero_Space

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#11 Zero_Space
Member since 2007 • 659 Posts

thanks

prettynice422

Nothing like Gears. People aren't going to get sawed in half, etc. Personally, I don't think there's a problem letting someone 11 years old play Halo 3, but as mentioned, why not watch some gameplay vids and judge for yourself? Also, if you have xbox live, you probably don't want them using the headset.

NX75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#12 NX75
Member since 2004 • 776 Posts

The M rating is too wide a net, I agree. Even when a parent pays attention to the rating, there's discussion on if it's a light M, or a heavy M. (Like The Matrix and Hostel are both rated R.)

So is Halo 3 really going to be inappropriate? I'd say there is certainly less violence, gore, and language than Gears of War, and might only earn its M rating from the relatively mild bloodsplatter. Still, eleven years old wouldn't even qualify him to play a teen-rated game, so even though I would say Halo 3 is really only barely above a T, it would still probably be inappropriate for a person his age, but that's for you to decide.

Cedric169

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#13 Cedric169
Member since 2005 • 2138 Posts
Don't buy halo 3 for him, get him Guitar Hero 3 I think that he will have more fun with this one and then later buy him Halo 3
Trickshot771

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Trickshot771
Member since 2005 • 12686 Posts
Don't get it for him. The less 11 year olds playing Halo 3 the better.
SpaceDragonMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 SpaceDragonMan
Member since 2007 • 1502 Posts

Halo isn't violent or scary/gory at all. So just buy it for him, if Gears of War is a 10 in violence, Halo is about a 4....

oh and take his headphone and put it where he cant reach it lol j/k...

antwonne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 antwonne
Member since 2004 • 720 Posts
people just get killed, but theres no gore or loss of limbs or anything. i was about eleven too when i first played halo 1butintheendheisyoursonandyouknowhimbest.watchvideosofhaloongs,gamevideos.comandgametrailers.comforanindicationofhowviolenthalois.
NinjaMunkey01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#18 NinjaMunkey01
Member since 2007 • 7485 Posts

as long as he dosent play online it should be okay. the game is not as bad as GOW but online people will be swearing and you dont want him talking with those sort of people. chaces are if he does he will soon start swearing onliner himself. I hear too many high pitched voices online swearing and shouting at others. dont get him a headset and if you can block chat. but then I think that if you do that you cannot play online.

the game is god though and there is not that much blood in it at all, its oonly just worthy of an M, I think that with just a little less blood and stuff in it it would have just about achived a 12+ in the uk.

N0han

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 N0han
Member since 2007 • 982 Posts
I think you could get him Halo 3. However dont let him use his mic online or even listen cause some people are just really bad/annoying, not only for 11 years old but for any age. If he has some real life friends of around his age (or a few years older) that would be best to play online with.
kkbeach93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 kkbeach93
Member since 2004 • 1089 Posts

It's really up to you, since we don't know how mature your son is, but Halo 3 is not going to be as gory as Gears of War. Obviously there is killing, but not to the point of dismembered body parts and the like.

Oh, and keep in mind that now enemies in the campaign say things like "F*** humans!!" and stuff, if that bothers you.

Avatar image for worldcupiran201
worldcupiran201

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 worldcupiran201
Member since 2006 • 56 Posts

I dont think its that violent, because your killing aliens and not real people, the blood is blue and differnt colors. However, xbox live is not appropriate for him becaause of the use of bad words. Time magazine had the top 3 games that are worst for kids they were 1. Resident Evil 2. Grand Theft Auto 3. Halo

Frost_Soider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Frost_Soider
Member since 2006 • 181 Posts

Hes not gonna be those kids who yell! NO SCOPE !! OMG I OWNED YOU!! Because if he is, i don't think xbox live needs another one of those "things".Hammerdinz

HAHA that's the truth... no but really you should just get it for him. just take his mike away or something. too many bad words for an 11 year old on it i'll bet and the violence probably wont be that bad...(we could always use a few more targets...er..i mean "buddies") XD

Trickshot771

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Trickshot771
Member since 2005 • 12686 Posts

[QUOTE="Trickshot771"]Don't get it for him. The less 11 year olds playing Halo 3 the better.SpaceDragonMan

Who the hell do you think you are? Everyone deserves to play it you elitist snob...

The game is rated M for a reason I don't like playing with little kids over Xbox Live. Just because I have a different opinion from you doesn't mean I'm wrong.

stygiansanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 stygiansanity
Member since 2005 • 3183 Posts
it has blood in it and just don't let him hear the voice chat on XBL.
CJL182

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 CJL182
Member since 2003 • 9233 Posts
Violence-wise Halo isn't nearly as bas as Gears of War, so I wouldn't be concerned about that. If you're going to allow your son to play online however, I would definitely mute everyone if he were under 10 years old.
zael99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 zael99
Member since 2005 • 369 Posts
I would say rent it when it comes out. play it yourself and judge it. If you see anything you don't want your son to see, don't let him get it.
Odin945

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#27 Odin945
Member since 2004 • 508 Posts

I think you should, it certainly isn't as bad as some of the games out there. And personally, the combat always seemed a bit cartoonish to me anyways. (not that that is a bad thing in some cases)

halfirishhomer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 halfirishhomer
Member since 2007 • 550 Posts
you might as well get it for him, the halo community is mostly gonna be little kids, but no people don't get cut in half in halo
X_CAPCOM_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 X_CAPCOM_X
Member since 2004 • 9552 Posts
If you do happen to get your son this game (I would recommend not to), DO NOT let him play it online.
Seram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#30 Seram
Member since 2005 • 2250 Posts
Yes there is blood, but its a very small amount and theres no gore like there is with Gears of War (like no dismembered limbs, etc). So your son playing the singleplayer game would be more than ok. But if you do get it for him please tell him to stay away from the online multiplayer, for his sake AND ours...
GlassDominion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#31 GlassDominion
Member since 2007 • 1313 Posts
no, for every one who owns xbl's sake dont get it for him.
hezbollahector

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 hezbollahector
Member since 2006 • 492 Posts
[QUOTE="jamejame"]

GIJesse77

same here! a played quake 2 on ps1 when i was 7

Fire_of_Contee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Fire_of_Contee
Member since 2004 • 248 Posts
The kid'll be fine as long as he dosn't play on live. If he does make sure he isn't annoying or i'll prolly choke him with barbed wire because there are so many screaming little kids on live. Oh and if he's on live he'll learn some words that were never meant to exist.
Antox-RX8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Antox-RX8
Member since 2006 • 711 Posts
halo barely has any gore and inappropriate words, the only time when you would have a problem with the potty mouth is on xbox live. like everyone here said dont let him go on live.
BLACKFIRE2142

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#35 BLACKFIRE2142
Member since 2006 • 246 Posts
[QUOTE="GIJesse77"][QUOTE="jamejame"]

jamejame

Yeah, I was seven or eight, I'm only 14 bro. Metal Gear... great game by the way.

nice dude yeah i was 8 as well when i first started playing (im 14 now). that was back when halo was 50 bucks then i got halo 2 for 50 now im getting halo 3 for 60 :D

good times tho

silencers3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 silencers3
Member since 2004 • 755 Posts

hell no dont get your kid halo3 i can hear it now Squeeky voice:"hehe i did it yayda da i pwnd'd him right right i pwnd'd him daddy" i cant stand little kids playing on the xbox,ps3 or w.ewith there mickey mouse voices and actually kick my a$$ and then talk sh1t when there parents aint home and if the kid is 17 below he shouldnt play the f-ing game anyways

eric7233

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 eric7233
Member since 2006 • 99 Posts
get and play it yourself.. you will enjoy it even though you dont play games alot .. and then decide ..if you wanna let him play onine , set the parental controls ( contact xbox live support for details and help) Its not gory like gears of war...this game showcases action and fun and storyline and not graphic violence ..bt like i said . play it your self so you can see and make your own decision
Shrapnel99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Shrapnel99
Member since 2006 • 7143 Posts
It's nowhere near as bad as Gears, theres nobody getting blown to pieces or chopped in half :P
valttu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 valttu
Member since 2007 • 1420 Posts
I don't think Halo is so violent. And there's a different feeling in shooting some colorful aliens in green landscape, than sneaking in the night and shooting zombies. There's no horror in Halo at all, so it doesn't seem so violent. I got my first FPS when I was 7 years old, and since that i've been shooting Nazis, aliens, terrorists... but I'm still not violent.
shadows_fall69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 shadows_fall69
Member since 2005 • 25 Posts
Halo 3 is mature mild blood and gore violence and some adult language that is what esrb says thats for single player, live has tons of swearing and racism. microsoft has it stated that live is not recommended for kids under 13 but that was on the old xbox 360 has parental controls. my advice get the game take the mic and and set the chat thru the mic so he cant hear it i cant say dont get it i have been playing violent video games since the firs unedited Mortal Kombat and that compared to halo is like 9 on violence so go for jsut monitor him on live that is a whole different thing
shadows_fall69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 shadows_fall69
Member since 2005 • 25 Posts
and the adult language is only one the 2 harder difficulties
CovertShadows

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 CovertShadows
Member since 2007 • 88 Posts
i would get it for him. I started playing when i was in 4th grade. Halo is not a gorey game at all so he should be fine
DarkRider23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 DarkRider23
Member since 2004 • 1753 Posts

There are way too many of you telling him not to get it because of his sons age while playing Xbox Live. Here's a suggestion to you all, STHU. I have met some 11 year olds on Xbox Livethat are cool

@ TC. There is nothing wrong with Halo really. I believe I started playing it at the age of 12 and I've turned out ok :). There's very little blood really. Every kill in the game is just a little spec of blood on the floor. I don't even notice it when playing the game actually. Or playing the beta. It's not very noticeable. But I suggest you watch him while playing Xbox Live. I've known tons of 11 year olds who play on Xbox Live and because of all of the "anonymity" they act like complete asses. Not saying your son will, but it does usually happen. Just make sure you don't let him play online when he's alone.

bssauter13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 bssauter13
Member since 2007 • 545 Posts

thanks

prettynice422

personally i think u should but that is my decision, i think u should buy halo 2 n play it urself cuz thats prolly goin to b like halo 3

henri1960

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 henri1960
Member since 2005 • 2755 Posts
nope, he is too young
ziggy87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 ziggy87
Member since 2006 • 873 Posts
do you guys no whats worse than little 11 year olds screaming into the mic, older adults constantly complaining about them microsft has a mute buton for a reason so use it
Hell_Dude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#47 Hell_Dude
Member since 2005 • 1215 Posts
If you're Ok with that game being played by your son, then sure. Go and buy it for him. The game isn't half as voilent as GoW is. Just make sure that he don't get all crazy.
--MAV3R1CK--

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#48 --MAV3R1CK--
Member since 2006 • 9346 Posts
Watching gameplay vids is the best way to go. It'll be the best way to see if you should or shouldn't get your son the game. Just make sure he isn't going to be one of those people where they scream at the top of their lungs and be annoying brats over LIVE.
stephbm6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 stephbm6
Member since 2003 • 249 Posts
Hell yeah!! and while your pre-ordering it pre-order GTA IV for him too!!!!!  yeehaaa!!!!!!!!!
Guiltfeeder566

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Guiltfeeder566
Member since 2005 • 10068 Posts
I don't see any problem with it. The most violence in Halo is limbs being blown of Flood, and they might as well be zombies. You could get him Earth Defense Force 2017, $20 cheaper, no blood, and hella fun.