RARE was a huge waste of money for Microsoft. Discuss.

• 75 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

ralphy12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 ralphy12345
Member since 2005 • 50 Posts

Microsoft bought Nintendo's controlling share of RARE about 5 years ago for a rumored 250 million (can't remember if it was £ or $).I used to be a Nintendo fan boy until Wii and thought it was a huge mistake by Nintendo as they had produced amazing games for N64.

But what have they really done recently. Sure they make nice games but they aren't exactly killer aps which sell the console.

Any thoughts?

chaoz-king

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#2 chaoz-king
Member since 2005 • 5956 Posts
Viva Pinata!
andrewham7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 andrewham7
Member since 2004 • 440 Posts
Conkers!!
Sc07iaFr34k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Sc07iaFr34k
Member since 2008 • 127 Posts

Viva Pinata!chaoz-king

That's my thought.

daboytroy1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 daboytroy1000
Member since 2006 • 124 Posts
viva pinata filled with fun =]
gustavog117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#6 gustavog117
Member since 2006 • 831 Posts
Umm Viva Pinata, Kameo, and Banjo Kazooie coming out.
Sc07iaFr34k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Sc07iaFr34k
It's party time!

Viva PiñataFilled with fun (filled with fun!)Viva PiñataDon't beat 'em, join 'em (woo-hoo!)Viva PiñataFilled with fun (filled with fun!)Viva PiñataDon't beat 'em, join 'em (don't beat 'em, join 'em!)

Welcome to picturesque Pinata Island. In its many gardens all matter of pinatas live, dance, and dream that one day, they will be chosen to entertain at a party as only pinatas can. Well, most pinatas that is... Oh fudge!

Shake it, shake it, shake it, like a party animalBreak it, break it, break it, like a party animalShake it, shake it, shake it, like a party animalBreak it, break it, break it, break it, break it, break it, break it!

Viva PiñataFilled with fun (filled with fun!)Viva PiñataDon't beat 'em, join 'em (woo-hoo!)Viva PiñataFilled with fun (filled with fun!)Viva PiñataDon't beat 'em, join 'em

Viva Piñata!
dcap8424

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 dcap8424
Member since 2006 • 806 Posts

perfect dark zero was awesome!!!!! well... nevermind.

but seriously isn't the new banjo kazooie game supposed to be good?

Sc07iaFr34k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Sc07iaFr34k

dcap8424

It's an iffy, they changed the gamplay by adding vehicles. I hope it has the same humor, and platform style as the original.

demon565

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 demon565
Member since 2005 • 5167 Posts
Why do you care if the games sell consoles? Do you buy games just because they sell consoles or because you enjoy them ? Sure Rare's games may not push consoles, but they are what games are supposed to be and that is fun.
ag1002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#11 ag1002
Member since 2004 • 13499 Posts

dcap8424

Every game is supposed to be good.
dukebd699

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#12 dukebd699
Member since 2006 • 12054 Posts
It's party time!

Viva PiñataFilled with fun (filled with fun!)Viva PiñataDon't beat 'em, join 'em (woo-hoo!)Viva PiñataFilled with fun (filled with fun!)Viva PiñataDon't beat 'em, join 'em (don't beat 'em, join 'em!)

Welcome to picturesque Pinata Island. In its many gardens all matter of pinatas live, dance, and dream that one day, they will be chosen to entertain at a party as only pinatas can. Well, most pinatas that is... Oh fudge!

Shake it, shake it, shake it, like a party animalBreak it, break it, break it, like a party animalShake it, shake it, shake it, like a party animalBreak it, break it, break it, break it, break it, break it, break it!

Viva PiñataFilled with fun (filled with fun!)Viva PiñataDon't beat 'em, join 'em (woo-hoo!)Viva PiñataFilled with fun (filled with fun!)Viva PiñataDon't beat 'em, join 'em

Viva Piñata!Sc07iaFr34k

I'm assuminng that was from the Party Animals game?

Sc07iaFr34k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Sc07iaFr34k

I'm assuminng that was from the Party Animals game?dukebd699

Not sure if it's in the party game, but its in Viva Pinata (1)

Juggernaut140

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#14 Juggernaut140
Member since 2007 • 36011 Posts
[QUOTE="Sc07iaFr34k"] It's party time!

Viva Piñata!dukebd699

I hope he made that up :?

ralphy12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 ralphy12345

Why do you care if the games sell consoles? Do you buy games just because they sell consoles or because you enjoy them ? Sure Rare's games may not push consoles, but they are what games are supposed to be and that is fun. demon565

Ok, ok. I'm ot saying they're a rubbish company, I'm just saying that they used to be making cutting edge games. And now they make nice games, like Viva Pinata which I have because it came with a bundle. It's an ok game, but it's not pushing the boundaries like they used to. And the price that MS paid was some kind of record (at the time at least). So I'm just thinking that mayybe Microsoft regret their decision. Maybe. A little.

Sc07iaFr34k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Sc07iaFr34k

Juggernaut140

O noez, i'z cereal. I has coppy n paze skrillz

gustavog117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 gustavog117
Member since 2006 • 831 Posts
[QUOTE="dukebd699"][QUOTE="Sc07iaFr34k"] It's party time!

Viva Piñata!Juggernaut140

Its the opening lyrics to the Viva Pinata show.

dukebd699

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#18 dukebd699
Member since 2006 • 12054 Posts

So was I then I saw this

[QUOTE="Juggernaut140"]

Sc07iaFr34k

O noez, i'z cereal. I has coppy n paze skrillz

Sc07iaFr34k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Sc07iaFr34k

Its the opening lyrics to the Viva Pinata show.

gustavog117

And the game. Wish it had a different theme though... :(

JDWolfie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 JDWolfie
Member since 2007 • 1952 Posts
For original Xbox, yes. For 360, no. I think Perfect Dark was actually kind of fun.
polsci1503

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#21 polsci1503
Member since 2003 • 3246 Posts

MS paid $377 million for Rare.

wukepingu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 wukepingu
Member since 2008 • 713 Posts

No it's not a waste of money. viva pinata, banjo kazooie, and perfect dark. For the other guy who thought rare was a waste of money for the orignal xbox-nintendo still owned rare.

wukepingu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 wukepingu

still

cheesytaco69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#24 cheesytaco69
Member since 2005 • 296 Posts
[QUOTE="dcap8424"]

ag1002

Every game is supposed to be good.

That's funny and true!

I'm looking foreward to the new Banjo game. It's supposed to be released for the low price of 40 bucks instead of 60.

Big_player

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Big_player
Member since 2004 • 6187 Posts
I have a feeling the new Banjo is going to shut the haters up, honestly RARE has done Kameo, PDZ, Conker and Viva Pinata all of which are high rated games. I dont see why theres so much hate.
nicknees93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 nicknees93
Member since 2005 • 3250 Posts
Umm Viva Pinata, Kameo, and Banjo Kazooie coming out.gustavog117
all agreed except for kameo. that one was... meh.
naruto7777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 naruto7777
Member since 2007 • 8059 Posts
Viva pinata
kozzy1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

#28 kozzy1234
Member since 2005 • 35966 Posts

Rare was awesome and is still awesome...

Kameo was fantastic and still one of the best looking games on any console.

I wasnt a huge fan of Viva Pinata, but Kameo and PDZ where pretty fun and great looking games.

Not to mention the new Banjoo game looks amazing.

cronew1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 cronew1
Member since 2004 • 494 Posts
it worked out great for me I have all their 360 games and plan on getting Banjo. As for Rare being a good investment for M$ probably not yet.
zero0131

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 zero0131
Member since 2005 • 143 Posts
if they bring Goldeneye 007 to the XBLA along with online play and split-screen then it will not be a waste...however for the 360 it is not a waste for the first xbox it was
cluelesspug

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#31 cluelesspug
Member since 2007 • 3398 Posts

Banjo kazooie: Nuts and Bolts is sure to sell lots of copies.

Anyone who played the N64 versions of banjo kazooie should buy this one.

Disturbed_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Disturbed_King
Member since 2007 • 554 Posts

Even though a lot of 360 fanboys are going to start flaming me here in just a second, I'm going to go ahead and state that I think that Nintendo should've done it's best to keep Rare. Why? The only Rare games that appeal to me were classics like Donkey Kong Country (the first one), Banjo Kazooie, etc. (basically, almost everything they've produced on the Nintendo consoles) They also made Perfect Dark, Goldeneye, and Conker's Bad Fur Day for the N64 very high quality games, but once Rare got sold to Microsoft, everyting that Rare was well known for went down the drain. And you can also notice that Conker Live and Reloaded was a remake Bad Fur Day, with better graphics and *shudders* censorship. It's like, Microsoft is giving them a bad influence or something.

I don't know really what to say, back when Rare was with Nintendo, they were untouchable when it came to developing quality games, but Microsoft gave Rare a bad rep once they got sold to them (Microsoft).

Zombie_Eric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Zombie_Eric
Member since 2007 • 412 Posts
I'm hoping the new Banjo is a return to form
Gator08

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Gator08
Member since 2006 • 1459 Posts
business wise it was a good investment. They are making mad cash from Kameo, PDZ, Viva Pinata, And soon Banjo and hopefully Conker too someday.
ralphy12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 ralphy12345

Even though a lot of 360 fanboys are going to start flaming me here in just a second, I'm going to go ahead and state that I think that Nintendo should've done it's best to keep Rare. Why? The only Rare games that appeal to me were classics like Donkey Kong Country (the first one), Banjo Kazooie, etc. (basically, almost everything they've produced on the Nintendo consoles) They also made Perfect Dark, Goldeneye, and Conker's Bad Fur Day for the N64 very high quality games, but once Rare got sold to Microsoft, everyting that Rare was well known for went down the drain. And you can also notice that Conker Live and Reloaded was a remake Bad Fur Day, with better graphics and *shudders* censorship. It's like, Microsoft is giving them a bad influence or something.

I don't know really what to say, back when Rare was with Nintendo, they were untouchable when it came to developing quality games, but Microsoft gave Rare a bad rep once they got sold to them (Microsoft).

Disturbed_King

This is what I mean. On N64 they were considered one of the top developers on ANY console and now they seem to have lost their edge. Maybe it's just that there are more excellent developers these days.

Alan1187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Alan1187
Member since 2008 • 372 Posts
Viva was a pretty cool game.
GamerJM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 GamerJM
Member since 2007 • 1218 Posts

I dunno. They're really trying to embrace them, but they've kind of failed with everything besides Viva Pinata. But they really do try with them, and this time, they're coming out with TWO killer-apps. I think they're going to do something good with them soon.

wukepingu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 wukepingu

Disturbed_King
That is exactally what I was thinking but rare will be worth it for any console
phalasu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 phalasu
Member since 2003 • 71 Posts
yar. Perfect Dark N64 was awesome. All they had to do was update the graphics and make it online enabled and I would have bought it for the 360. I bought PDZ and wished I hadn't. I believe that a few of the developers that made Rare into a big name on the N64 left the company a few years ago, which would explain a change in direction/quality of their games. Not sure if this is true, but would make sense, eh?
Jdog30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Jdog30
Member since 2008 • 4509 Posts
Nintendo should never have sold share of RARE. The only games I realy miss by RARE on N64 are: Donkey Kong 64, and Perfect Dark. It's not that big of a deal or that big of a loss on Nintendo's part. I don't think RARE has done much recently. A while ago they did a perfect dark game but it didn't live up to the Perfect Dark name the way i see it.
stringer4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 stringer4
Member since 2006 • 674 Posts

even if people thought the game are/will be good, rare is is not bringing any money to the table for m$

Impex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#43 Impex
Member since 2005 • 5532 Posts
I didn't care for VP or Kameo, but Banjo looks pretty sweet.
jedimaster815

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 jedimaster815
Member since 2003 • 900 Posts
I agree rare hasn't been the AAA studio it once was but For some reason I can't wait to try some banjo.
ralphy12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 ralphy12345

Was in Game yesterday (buying Call of Duty 4, at last) and i dunno if you've been in one of these, but they have their own radio station kinda thing over the PA. Anyway, they said that RARE are releasing a new controller to coincide with Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts and Bolts. The controller will be MOTION SENSITIVE, and you will be able to use it to MIMIC THE USE OF A SPANNER (or ratchet or whatever it is in US) in the game.

It's all a bit Wii and stinks of gimicky desperation.

djrobst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 djrobst
Member since 2007 • 2404 Posts
[QUOTE="Disturbed_King"]

ralphy12345

This is what I mean. On N64 they were considered one of the top developers on ANY console and now they seem to have lost their edge. Maybe it's just that there are more excellent developers these days.

i think it dont help that the systesms and games are better and more complex than the n64 days. alot easier to be more cutting edge when the kit dosent set the expectation levels through the roof. which is what the current gen has done. i cant really comment on they xbox games apart from perfect dark zero, now i loved perfect dark on the n64, but on the xbox 360 it felt like they changed the game that much that it wasnt perfect dark no more,felt more like a poor copy of counterstrike, i got pretty quick bored of people rolling on the floor all game too the new direction microsoft taking rare is probaly down to different people being in charge at the top who call the final shots. maybe nintendo gave better guidance in letting them know what they wanted out of rare than microsoft. or maybe the systems and games elsewhere have gotten loads better and rare now are left catchin up to get back where they were, maybe they would of suited staying on and making games for more limited systems like the wii. only time will tell.
djrobst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 djrobst
Member since 2007 • 2404 Posts
yar. Perfect Dark N64 was awesome. All they had to do was update the graphics and make it online enabled and I would have bought it for the 360. I bought PDZ and wished I hadn't. I believe that a few of the developers that made Rare into a big name on the N64 left the company a few years ago, which would explain a change in direction/quality of their games. Not sure if this is true, but would make sense, eh?phalasu
yeah thats exactly what i wanted and expected from perfect dark, and it never felt like it was the same game, yeah it was a ok game but pale compared to any other decent xbox fps multiplayer shooter.
david60639

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 david60639
Member since 2005 • 6951 Posts
PDZ was total fail, should have named it something completely different.
killercuts3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 killercuts3
Member since 2003 • 3355 Posts
If they release Killer Instinct and Donkey Kong Country on the arcade then it would be worth it, I guess.
cluelesspug

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#50 cluelesspug
Member since 2007 • 3398 Posts

Disturbed_King

I also think that Nintendo should have kept rare, because Donkey Kong is Rare and Microsoft isn't making any new Donkey Kong games. If nintendo had kept it they would have made another DK game by now.

But, I do think that microsoft will do a good job on the new Banjo game.

I also just saw on E3 that the original banjo will come to the xbox live arcade.

So overall no, I didn't find it a waste of money for microsoft, but I still think Nintendo would have done better with Rare.