Question for the older gamers on this thread...25+....

This topic is locked from further discussion.

brh2010

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 brh2010
Member since 2012 • 27 Posts

I mean this in the most non-condescending way possible, but do any of you ever feel like you're getting too old for video games?

I'm 27, I've been playing video games since I was about 8. I don't know how to describe it but video games just don't "excite" me anymore. Lately I've found myself more interested in following the video game industry than acctualy playing games; and when I do play video games I'm more interested in playing single player games, taking my time to "savor" the story. I don't try to rush through the game. It may take me a month or more to beat a game after I start it.

Another thing that I've noticed is that I don't really care about MP anymore. I used to be a huge MP fan, but lately I just stopped caring...I don't know what it is but MP games feel like a chore now-a-days and I just have time (or interest) to sit and dedicate myself to them anymore.

So, am I getting too old, or just jaded? Anyone else feel this way? More interested in following the industry than actually playing games?

AutoPilotOn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 AutoPilotOn
Member since 2010 • 8655 Posts
I just turned 31 and I play plenty of games. Mostly 3ds/ds anymore though. I have a wiiu preordered as well. I do seem to spend more time reading about games and buying new games than playing though.
chicagog19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#3 chicagog19
Member since 2006 • 753 Posts

I am 26 and to a certain degree I feel the same way. I think there several things at play for me though.

1.) I simply don't have as much time to devote to videos due to other responsibilities.

2.) This generation of consoles is the longest in history I believe, so the consoles are becoming a bit dated.

3.) Developers are bringing out fewer AAA-new IPs. While games like Halo 4 and ACIII still get me excited, they don't give me the excitement a new IP does. Dishonored was the first game in a long while that legitimately got me excited to play games again.

23Jarek23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 23Jarek23
Member since 2009 • 2647 Posts

I don't think you can get too old to play video games, you might lose certain interests but we grew up with video games, just like our parents grew up with TV, yet they still watch it, they're both forms of entertainement.

I go through phases where I feel bored playing video games, or bored of game genres I once loved but I think that after a good break from either gaming, or genres you will come to find that games can still excite you. Not to mention the gaming industry isn't extremely innovative these days, a lot of games we play are so similar to others that they start to lose identity.

One thing I could suggest is try playing something you never thought you'd play, for instance, if you don't really play any RPG games, pick up Dark Souls, The Witcher 2 or Skyrim, if you don't play much action adventure, get into the Assassins Creed Series, or get a PS3 and play games like Uncharted or God or War, if you've got a good enough PC play some PC exclusives...or go back and play the games you missed growing up, either with a ROM or through XBL.

tribalTox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5 tribalTox
Member since 2006 • 803 Posts

I'm 32 and I don't feel that I'm too old for video games. Looking at society and this generation , video games seem to be everywhere and played on many different devices.

I don't play video games like I used to, 8 hour long marathons and staying up till 3 in the morning, but I put in 10 hours a week. With age I also noticed, that I don't get too excited with every new game coming out and feel like I have to pre-order the game. I tend to wait and get a game when I can and when I remember about it lol. I barely started playing Mass Effect 2 and probably won't finish it till December.

Video games have always been my stress reliever. Hey, its better than smoking crack, right?! :)

Cesar_Barba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Cesar_Barba
Member since 2003 • 3665 Posts
I'm 37 and I still enjoy video whenever possible. I've never felt that I am getting to old for them. As others have mentioned, we just don't have the time to play those long marathons. I work 2 full time jobs and have a lady that also needs my attention. Luckily I do night audit twice a week in a hotel, I will bring any of my gaming systems to play for a while. Yup, getting paid to play.
skooks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 skooks
Member since 2006 • 1411 Posts

I'm 27 and honestly I play more games now than I ever have. I don't think anyone is ever too old for video games or any other hobby for that matter, I think people just lose interest in things sometimes.

Avatar image for GhettoBlastin92
GhettoBlastin92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 GhettoBlastin92
Member since 2012 • 1231 Posts
I am 20 and I feel I am heading that way. I have a demanding job, and other responsibilities to take care of. I will buy a singleplayer game and slowly make my way through it. I bought BF3 but only play it on occasion, kinda feel like I can't keep up with the people who play it all day. I am excited for halo 4 tho!
boredom_kills

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 boredom_kills
Member since 2010 • 190 Posts

I'm 33, and I've been playing since I was 8. Like most of you, I don't get as excited for new games these days - it's a constant irony to me that now I have enough money to afford to buy whatever games I want, I lack the time to play them! I think it's just that as you get older, other priorities creep in. I still play games a lot - I play probably four nights a week, but I'm blessed with an understanding wife who's happy to sit on the sofa reading and watching... she even encourages me to play things like Assassin's Creed and Red Dead Redemption and Fallout 3 - just so she can watch them (or, in the case of Fallout, listen to the music!).

I don't think I'll ever get too old for games. I collect them - I've got loads of them, current and previous gens, kicking around the house and I'm slowly introducing my kids to them too. Like everyone else here, I play games to chill out these days and tend to concentrate on ones that have a good solid narrative.

mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#11 mitu123
Member since 2006 • 155290 Posts

Damn, in a few months I'll be 25, also, more of lack of interest if anything.

brimmul777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

User Lists: 2

#12 brimmul777
Member since 2011 • 6090 Posts

I'm turning 38 years old this month and I have never gotten sick of games or feel to old to play.I think if it was posible,I would still be playing videogames till I reach 138 years old.I feel that videogames is not a childish hobbie, just some of the a**holes that are playing them.It is a hobbie for all ages and I don't think your never to old to play games.This is just my opinion.

TTDog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 75

#13 TTDog
Member since 2007 • 3545 Posts

42 and still playing... just not online... too many whiny brats playing games they're 5 years to young to be buying themselves.

BiThBhE0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 BiThBhE0
Member since 2008 • 1643 Posts
I'm 30 but I still play video games as much as I can. I too went through a phase and didn't play much but eventually got back into it. I think I have a good balance between single player games and multi. There's a group of friends I've been playing with for about 5 years and we're in a party so we don't have to listen to anyone else. I do follow the industry though. Think it's mostly due to the fact that I'm in front of a computer most of the day at work and I can check all the gaming sites haha
brh2010

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 brh2010
Member since 2012 • 27 Posts

Thanks for all the replies so far. Interesting perspectives from all of you.

EvilSelf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

#16 EvilSelf
Member since 2010 • 3619 Posts

27 here. Video games are my main hobby and i feel exactly like the TC - single player, story-based games are my sweet spot... I dont think i will be giving up gaming any time soon, even though i have a lot more hobbies that i like doing. Gaming is fun, some storylines are worthy of a motion picture and is also pretty cheap. Or at least nowadays...

SaintJimmmy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 SaintJimmmy
Member since 2007 • 2815 Posts
I still enjoy gaming i just don't have alot of time on my hands anymore. I find myself posting on these forums at work more than I actually play games. Though, it's kind of made gaming more fun for me because when I do have the time i have alot of titles to try out. Alot of the newer titles that everyone getting hyped about, seem very uninspired to me i will say i spend alot of time researching games before seeing if they are worth my time
Avatar image for Thespiritoflife
Thespiritoflife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#18 Thespiritoflife
Member since 2004 • 1610 Posts

I'm 26 and I've gotta say It's becoming a bit lack luster, there needs to be new innovation because it's mostly been more of the same, ohh a new call of duty, oh new maps, bored okay onto to the next one, REPEAT. but where's the new innovation? Xbox 720 needs to be released with like virtual reality or something to wow me. because you're right it just doesn't appeal to me like it used to. A lot of Game engines are also getting pretty worn out and Aged.

Thanks,

-ThinkingGames101

http://www.youtube.com/user/thinkinggames101?feature=results_main

TTDog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 75

#19 TTDog
Member since 2007 • 3545 Posts

One thing I have noticed since I started gaming back in the very early 1980's was that your game tastes change as you get older... I used to hate JRPG's but as I've grown older I've started to appreciate them more, whereas I've totally gone off the run and gun First Person Shooter games like COD that require very little thought.

I can still play a good first person game if the story backs it up, like a Bioshock or Deus Ex and recently Borderlands... but it could be that you're gaming tastes are changing.

zyphyr2k12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 zyphyr2k12
Member since 2012 • 277 Posts

Well I am 30, been gaming since 1986 and I game now probably more than I ever did. That is because there are more games coming out that interest me. So as long as there are games that interest me, I can't imagine I'll stop gaming. If my interest evolve differently then I'll move on, I suppose. There really isn't much else for me to do with my downtime however. I don't like watching TV much, for example. I don't really read and taking long walks in the park are dangerous now.

Avatar image for Cyanide4Suicid3
Cyanide4Suicid3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Cyanide4Suicid3
Member since 2012 • 733 Posts
Im 21. I know you said 25+ but I hope you dont mind me putting my $.02 in anyway. Im 21 and Im a father to a 2 month old little boy. I still play plenty of games now, but for the past several years I havent been getting that excited for most games. The only game Im excited about at the moment is Halo 4, and thats it. Not Dishonored, not Resident Evil 6, not Borderlands 2. Im not saying I dont want those other games, but the only one I know Im getting this year is Halo 4. Another thing, I dont really care about MP either. Ive never been a huge multiplayer fan, but if its there then Ill play it. Im more concerned about story, which is why Im interested in games like Halo 4 and Dishonored, and not games like Call of Duty. I dont think youre getting too old. I just think the developers are going in a different way than you would like. Alot of developers put much more focus on multiplayer now than they used to. Its not a bad thing, but I dont think its a good thing either. Call me crazy, but Id rather play 10 hour long game with a great story, than sink several days of playtime into a multiplayer title.
Avatar image for DecadesOfGaming
DecadesOfGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#22 DecadesOfGaming
Member since 2007 • 3100 Posts

your just maturing.. Thats a good thing.. Im 42 and still love gaming.. Prefer a great story though.. Play 'Halo Reach' online occassionally, get bored after a day or two though.

mariokart64fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 101

User Lists: 1

#23 mariokart64fan
Member since 2003 • 20828 Posts

i stillplay all my games any 1 who says ur to old 4 games should also be askin if their to old for movies and driving

piranha_inc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#24 piranha_inc
Member since 2005 • 1994 Posts
I'm 28 and I kinda feel the same way, but I don't think it's because I'm getting too old to play videogames. As someone said, the industry isn't as innovative as it was before. I blame the industry because a lot of games from this gen feel unpolished and sometimes even unfinished, have broken mechanics etc. So I think the companies are making mediocre games just for the sales, just remember RE Operation Racoon City, that game feels so damn generic it should be buried in the desert next to the ET cartriges. I also don't have the same spare time as before, I just became more selective and more patient about what I buy cause lately there's tons and tons of shovelware So just be patient and get the good games you will actually play
jsmoke03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#25 jsmoke03
Member since 2004 • 13717 Posts

I mean this in the most non-condescending way possible, but do any of you ever feel like you're getting too old for video games?

I'm 27, I've been playing video games since I was about 8. I don't know how to describe it but video games just don't "excite" me anymore. Lately I've found myself more interested in following the video game industry than acctualy playing games; and when I do play video games I'm more interested in playing single player games, taking my time to "savor" the story. I don't try to rush through the game. It may take me a month or more to beat a game after I start it.

Another thing that I've noticed is that I don't really care about MP anymore. I used to be a huge MP fan, but lately I just stopped caring...I don't know what it is but MP games feel like a chore now-a-days and I just have time (or interest) to sit and dedicate myself to them anymore.

So, am I getting too old, or just jaded? Anyone else feel this way? More interested in following the industry than actually playing games?

brh2010
just jaded...but how does that seem that you are getting to old for video games? age doesn't have anything to do with it....your fading interest is just that...why would you try to attribute it to something like maturity or age....
MentatAssassin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#26 MentatAssassin
Member since 2005 • 3007 Posts

The good thing about this hobby is that I may get older but the games stay the same age. Heee heh. Or something to tha affect. I'm 37 and still love reading about and playing games. Heck I'm as giddy as a school girl over Halo 4 coming out in a few weeks.

Rattlesnake_8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#27 Rattlesnake_8
Member since 2004 • 18452 Posts
I just turned 29, I play games whenever I get the time.. of course as you get older, get married and have kids, that time pretty much vanishes. I still to pick up new games I want and play them when I have time. I'll be gaming for as long as I live. It's something I love to do, there is no such thing as too old for gaming. It's not like all games are made for kids. They do have plenty of games with mature/adult content.
mrsniper83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 114

#28 mrsniper83
Member since 2009 • 1552 Posts
I am going to be 29 next month and no I don't think im too old for video games....I agree that games these days don't really excite me but I enjoy playing them.I don't want to get hated on for saying this but I think im at the right age for a gamer, I don't like play with little kids.They don't listen, they don't know what co-op means and they have the worse mouth on them, its one of the reasons i hardly wear a headset anymore.
MaddenBowler10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

User Lists: 1

#29 MaddenBowler10
Member since 2005 • 8999 Posts
It's called an addiction. If you find more enjoyment in buying games than playing them, you have an addiction.
immortality20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#30 immortality20
Member since 2005 • 8546 Posts

I'm 27, and I feel it's more important to me than ever. I had a bad year with cancer and everything that comes with it, and video games was my shining light that always helped me. There is nothing wrong enjoying a hobby you love, no matter the age. I see people in their 40s playing Magic or Pokemon, who cares? They're having fun. The question you have to ask yourself isn't "Am I too old?" but "Do I still love this hobby?".

wizdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#31 wizdom
Member since 2003 • 10111 Posts

brh2010
Yes I am 31, as you get older you start to think about more things then videogames, marriage, kids, school, work, money, ect.., so it's natural to feel that way, but never give up your dream of gaming just cut back on it that's all, I feel like most games nowadays aren't even worth buying and I find myself renting them or watching people play it youtube. MP to me is okay, but very few of them I get into Halo series and BF series and that's it really. I only play games around 10-20hrs a week tops, but that's life man.
jaspermur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 jaspermur
Member since 2003 • 25 Posts

i am 49. Get off my internet..... :D As with any hobby you with have highs, lows, and why bother moments. Your time and tastes will change. Accept this as normal. i play FPS to play online with my friends but do enjoy a decent single person story in them. Do what you want. And occasionally walk away. There have been weeks where except when I was invited to a game, my xbox was for netflix only.

Mo-licious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Mo-licious
Member since 2011 • 602 Posts

i am 49. Get off my internet..... :D As with any hobby you with have highs, lows, and why bother moments. Your time and tastes will change. Accept this as normal. i play FPS to play online with my friends but do enjoy a decent single person story in them. Do what you want. And occasionally walk away. There have been weeks where except when I was invited to a game, my xbox was for netflix only.

jaspermur
lol .. I feel ya! I'm 44 and I love gaming, always have. My husband likes to play but generally just when we play games with couch coop (Halo, GoW, L4D, Borderlands). Yeah, certain times of the year I get a tad bored but usually find an older game to peek my interest until something I'm looking forward to is released. I was a PC multiplayer clanner for 10 years in my mid 20's but more console SP now. Your passion for gaming ebbs and flows over the years... chances are you will come back to the fold when the right time/game comes your way. :)
Avatar image for deactivated-57d773aa56272
deactivated-57d773aa56272

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#34 deactivated-57d773aa56272
Member since 2006 • 2292 Posts

No you're not I bought Dragon's Dogma and played it but didn't finish it. I bought Diablo III and finished the Normal mode. I go into GameStop and ask for the newest game and they give me Max Payne 3 which is still sitting sealed in my room. I've got Forza Horizon LE pre-ordered for my bro. I check JTV / Twitch and everyone is playing RTS or speed runs or the newest game out like Sleeping Dogs which I have vague notions about. This year's Lord of the Rings game is about LEGO... big let down. So I'll have to conjure up a list of games for my top 10 that I didn't even play which is a bummer. I don't even know where to start.

Maybe it was a slow year, maybe I'm almost 27 and games aren't #1 for me currently. *edit* don't get me wrong about rockstar i finished red dead, and i do have the time to play more but i would rather spend it elsewhere so i don't really have time to get absorbed on the current crop of games. 2 things will happen 4k and new systems will make me want to play or I'll continue to be nostalgic for what I grew up with and be that guy saying get off my lawn.

Business_Fun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#35 Business_Fun
Member since 2009 • 2282 Posts

32 and I game more than ever. Along with work and the blissful periods of unconsciousness between one day and the next it's all that my life consists of. Which is good since it's a highly entertaining way of passing the time.

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#36 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

I'm the opposite because I play more games now than when I was a kid. I don't think I'll ever stop gaming as long as I'm still breathing.

allboutkiln

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 allboutkiln
Member since 2010 • 508 Posts

No way man, that's like asking if you're getting too old to have fun. Videogames are a great form of entertainment/escapism that is unlike anything else, i love it. Single player forever, now Gunzerking in Pandora,...wukkawukawuckaaa wooooo!!!!....

Bud_Alzir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Bud_Alzir
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts
I'm also 44 and get excited about games more now than ever. Admittedly, there aren't many that excite me as much, but games like Dark Souls still give me a huge buzz. I hate mundane franchises that churn out the same drivel every single year like clockwork (you know who you are!), but am I excited about the next Fallout already - not half. Will I buy the Dark Souls DLC pack the second it's available next week? You're damn right. So long as developers like Bethesda From Software, to name just a couple, keep making quality gaming experiences, I'll be excited.