Now on my 2nd XBOX 360 ..

This topic is locked from further discussion.

JDW_games

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 JDW_games
Member since 2006 • 1892 Posts
First off I'm not trolling or bashing Xbox whatsoever here. (Check my profile if in doubt) However, I recently have now went through 2 NEW 250gb Xbox 360's in the past month and I'm very disappointed. These were my first 360's. I'm an old school gamer having owned several systems through the years. I had owned the original Xbox and loved it, but because of the many horror stories, I stayed away from buying the 360 for a long time. I basically only played with friends, but finally decided that I wanted my own 360. I recently got my first one and it wouldn't sync the controller up correctly after many failed attempts, so I exchanged it. (Yes I know how to properly sync it). Then onto my 2nd. Ran nice and quiet, amazing online play, great games, and loved the arcade downloads. Then just yesterday in the middle of Black Ops 2, my screen goes fuzzy on the game screen, goes blank, and then I get a red dot. At first I thought, maybe it overheated. I didn't see any rings. Just a red dot. I touched the box, didn't feel overly warm. I turned it off for 10 min or so, and then turned it back on. Again, blank screen and red light. It's basically a brick. So I take pics, and video, and took it back to Best Buy and got a refund. I'm stuck with opened games and many hours of lost gameplay and saved games I can never get back. So my question is, after going 0-2 with no luck ... Should I try one more time or should I just be done with it? It's awfully hard to have much faith in Microsoft products now. It amazes me that the original 360 was built like a tank. Never any issues. Now even the new models of the 360's that were supposed to be fixed, don't seem immune to issues. This is really irritating.
JDW_games

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 JDW_games
And FYI, I have my electronics in a well ventilated room and shelf, non smoking home, and the thermostat never exceeds 70 degrees in my home. So it was well taken care of.
Djmaster214

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Djmaster214
Member since 2005 • 3240 Posts

doesnt sound legit, you mean to say you bought two brand new slim 360's and they both red ringed within weeks of each other. I cant possibly tell you how slim the odds of that happening is. I would venture to say theres a variable on your end thats causing it but i'll give you the benefit of the doubt and say pass on the third console unless you cant get a refund

rrjim1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 rrjim1
Member since 2005 • 1983 Posts

I'm still using my original Elite, with all the talk about these breaking I purchase a backup Halo console, it's still in the box never used.

MarcRecon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 4

#5 MarcRecon
Member since 2009 • 8191 Posts

doesnt sound legit, you mean to say you bought two brand new slim 360's and they both red ringed within weeks of each other. I cant possibly tell you how slim the odds of that happening is. I would venture to say theres a variable on your end thats causing it but i'll give you the benefit of the doubt and say pass on the third console unless you cant get a refund

Djmaster214

Agreed.

Venom951

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6 Venom951
Member since 2012 • 389 Posts
I still have the Launch 360 all I did was get rid of the puny 20GB HDD and got a bigger one a she's loud but works fine .
BEANTOWN85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 BEANTOWN85
Member since 2009 • 68 Posts
Don't feel too bad. My first xbox took a dive about 2 months after owning it. This was an elite and I had it around Christmas '06. What I ended up doing was trading it in over at gamestop and I got a PS3. Long story short, I have owned a PS3 and a 360 ever since. Just recently I sold my old 60GB xbox and upgraded to the 250GB one because I downloaded a lot of DLC and recently I've been getting digital games on my hard drive as well. I think with both systems it's bound to happen at some point. I have my own conspiracy theory with the ps3's though. I haven't heard of any of those backwards compatible PS3's being around anymore and I just have a feeling that those weren't meant to last because if they did, they wouldn't have a market for the digital ps1/ps2 games anymore, which also explains why none of the ps3's are backwards compatible after the first group of launch ones that dropped. Pisses me off actually. I think they could still have a market for the digital classic games and still have backwards compatible systems. It would be cool to just go grab some of the old ps1/2 games and old xbox 1 games and throw them in for the nostalgia but these corporations just gotta squeeze every cent out of their customers and god knows gamers aren't the smartest consumers out there.
CodingGenius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 60

#10 CodingGenius
Member since 2004 • 8118 Posts
Do you have a surge protector between your console and the outlet? Perhaps it's your wiring?
TTDog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 75

#11 TTDog
Member since 2007 • 3545 Posts

[QUOTE="Djmaster214"]

MarcRecon

Agreed.

Agreed... plus why buy the second when the first would be under store warranty?

To go wrong so early would be an instant replacement, if not through the store then via Microsoft support... so in the words of South Park, "I Call Shenanigans"

Blueresident87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 8

#13 Blueresident87
Member since 2007 • 5904 Posts

[QUOTE="MarcRecon"]

[QUOTE="Djmaster214"]

TTDog

Agreed.

To go wrong so early would be an instant replacement, if not through the store then via Microsoft support... so in the words of South Park, "I Call Shenanigans"

Agreed, something about this isn't right.

Avatar image for CaptainGamespot
CaptainGamespot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 CaptainGamespot
Member since 2013 • 616 Posts

my house is immaculate, and i'm on my 4th 360.

those early models imo are guaranteed to die. my new one is a slim.

Avatar image for CaptainGamespot
CaptainGamespot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 CaptainGamespot
Member since 2013 • 616 Posts

[QUOTE="MarcRecon"]

[QUOTE="Djmaster214"]

TTDog

Agreed.

those aren't south park's words, those are way older than that show.

Blueresident87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 8

#16 Blueresident87
Member since 2007 • 5904 Posts

[QUOTE="TTDog"]

[QUOTE="MarcRecon"]

Agreed.

CaptainGamespot

those aren't south park's words, those are way older than that show.

It is still fine to say 'in the words of South Park' because that phrase exists in the show.

JDW_games

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 JDW_games
Getting back to the people who say "This doesn't sound legit." Why on earth would I lie or make this up? I bought them both at Best Buy. The first did not die. It just wouldn't sync any controllers after several tries so I exchanged it. The one that bricked on me was the second that I received and they gave me a refund because it was under 30 days. I have pics of it. I'm a grown man. So why would I come on a message board to make up a lame story?? Is it not possible I came into a bad batch of 360's? The failure rate is still high on the slim models from what I've been told. Not near as high as originals obviously. The Best Buy employees I spoke with told me they see about 2 returns a month on failed systems which isn't too many I guess. But it shows the problem is still there. My post was simply to ask if anyone else has had this sort of bad luck, or if I just got into an unlucky batch? If I get over being irritated with my failed purchase, do I still get my original Arcade downloads back? Can I transfer my gamer tag and my downloads to another new 360? Again, didn't come on here to be a ridiculous fanboy from another console. I'm a fan of Xbox games and old arcade and pinball. I just want a dependable system, and would like feedback on whether I can get my purchases back if I decide to try another 360. Just asking for help and advice. Not a childish debate. Thanks
JDW_games

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 JDW_games

CaptainGamespot
How long have you had your slim? I'm thinking I just got a bad one. Luckily enough I exchanged the first one and then was able to get a refund on the one that died. I just would love to know if I can get my gamer tag and arcade downloads back without issue on a new one? I've put off replacing my return cause I was mad, but now I'm going through withdrawal haha
-Wicked_Sick-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 -Wicked_Sick-
Member since 2007 • 1171 Posts
Ouch. That sounds extreme.
Rob27shred

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Rob27shred
Member since 2012 • 73 Posts

CaptainGamespot
I have an original 120GB Elite that I got off a friend on the cheap. He took good care of it but just to be safe I opened it up cleaned all the dust out & replaced the thermal paste between the heat sinks & processors. It runs like a beast now, I've had it running for upwards of 12 hrs. straight & it barely gets hot. Only that sucks is the so called "X-clamps" MS uses to hold the heat sinks to the mobo can't be reused after you remove them. So I had to get creative & make a backing plate to hold the heat sinks to the mobo. Also had to go buy new screws & washers for it. Well worth it though if your 360 is past it's warranty.
JDW_games

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 JDW_games
To answer some other questions, yes I have a nice surge protector and HDMI cable on a 1080p tv. I think the problem lies with what Rob said. They should have completely went with all new parts and they could have eliminated the issues. I'm not quite that handy to go in and repair a console, but cleaning it isn't a bad idea every so many months or so if I get a new one. The one question I haven't had answered yet was can I get all of my original Arcade downloads back to a new console without having to pay?
Rob27shred

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Rob27shred
Member since 2012 • 73 Posts
To answer some other questions, yes I have a nice surge protector and HDMI cable on a 1080p tv. I think the problem lies with what Rob said. They should have completely went with all new parts and they could have eliminated the issues. I'm not quite that handy to go in and repair a console, but cleaning it isn't a bad idea every so many months or so if I get a new one. The one question I haven't had answered yet was can I get all of my original Arcade downloads back to a new console without having to pay? JDW_games
Not 100% sure but here's what I could find about it on xbox.com http://support.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-live/marketplace-and-purchasing/download-content-history#e53fe69b7f6b4a84a7b1dc3b0295b26b http://support.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-live/marketplace-and-purchasing/play-xbox-live-content Hopes this helps some bud.
JDW_games

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 JDW_games
[QUOTE="JDW_games"]To answer some other questions, yes I have a nice surge protector and HDMI cable on a 1080p tv. I think the problem lies with what Rob said. They should have completely went with all new parts and they could have eliminated the issues. I'm not quite that handy to go in and repair a console, but cleaning it isn't a bad idea every so many months or so if I get a new one. The one question I haven't had answered yet was can I get all of my original Arcade downloads back to a new console without having to pay? Rob27shred
Not 100% sure but here's what I could find about it on xbox.com http://support.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-live/marketplace-and-purchasing/download-content-history#e53fe69b7f6b4a84a7b1dc3b0295b26b http://support.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-live/marketplace-and-purchasing/play-xbox-live-content Hopes this helps some bud.

Thanks dude, I appreciate it
mariokart64fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 101

User Lists: 1

#25 mariokart64fan
Member since 2003 • 20828 Posts

im wondering if tc even checked the hard drive to see if it was put in tightly ,  if it was loose thats the cause of the dot ,,lol 

JoeGamer1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 JoeGamer1234
Member since 2013 • 68 Posts

I've had the same 360 for five years and haven't had a moments trouble from it. I guess it's because I take care of it.

JDW_games

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 JDW_games

I've had the same 360 for five years and haven't had a moments trouble from it. I guess it's because I take care of it.

JoeGamer1234
I love the nasty sarcasm. You do not know me, so why assume I didn't take care of it?? I'm not a teenager or some college kid. I live in a smoke free home that I own. My home is dusted and cleaned often, and all of my electronics are in an open cabinet where they can breathe. You would never even find a scuff or scratch on my game discs. I'm beyond OCD when it comes to taking care of things. Truth is, there are a few 360's that are lucky enough to survive, but the machine is built to fail. I've talked to several Gamestop and Best Buy employees and the failure rate on even the news ones is higher than any system out there. Period. XBOX fan boys like yourself make me sick, and make it easy to not want to support the system anymore. Obviously the fans of Microsoft fail just like their systems. Thanks for the kind feedback. Smh
rrjim1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#29 rrjim1
Member since 2005 • 1983 Posts

[QUOTE="JoeGamer1234"]

JDW_games

I've talked to several Gamestop and Best Buy employees and the failure rate on even the news ones is higher than any system out there. Period. XBOX fan boys like yourself make me sick, and make it easy to not want to support the system anymore. Obviously the fans of Microsoft fail just like their systems. Thanks for the kind feedback. Smh

Square trade says different, they offer extended warranties on both the 360 and PS3, they have more claims with the PS3. If your going to purchase another one go some were else, make sure it has never been opened. Just to let you know my original Elite has never been repaired and still works great, and I play the crap out of it!

kingrich06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 110

#30 kingrich06
Member since 2006 • 5403 Posts
I've lost one if each. Arcade, elite and slim. My 2new slims seems to be ok after 2 years