New Xbox requires constant internet connection?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

DKKain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 DKKain
Member since 2009 • 35 Posts

Have you guys heard the rumor that the new Xbox will need to be constantly connected to the internet in order to prevent the use of used games?

I have a very hard time believing it myself. It seems too stupid a buisness decision for it to be true.

You would think after the fiascos with Spore and Assassins Creed 2 for the PC that any company would stay far away from these kinds of security measures.

What do you think?

Masenkoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#2 Masenkoe
Member since 2007 • 4897 Posts

Rumors are just that. Rumors.

I doubt this would happen. I really do.

Avatar image for deactivated-61cf0c4baf12e
deactivated-61cf0c4baf12e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#3 deactivated-61cf0c4baf12e
Member since 2006 • 6013 Posts

So if I'm left with no internet because of a weekend or something I cannot play? Doesn't seem smart... but then again Diablo 3 is doing it so...

thetruespin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 thetruespin
Member since 2008 • 3256 Posts
I doubt it. Unless Sony did something similar, MS would be left dead in the water as gamers will just go elsewhere.
EvilSelf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

#5 EvilSelf
Member since 2010 • 3619 Posts

I doubt this will happen. Why limit the market? There are gamers out there with slow or non-existent connection, so why leave those out?...It does not make sense, this rumor that is.

k2theswiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6 k2theswiss
Member since 2007 • 16599 Posts

it most likely won't happen,. They will lose ALOT of consoles sales unless they put 4g inside for people who don't have internet

gamerfreak1991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 gamerfreak1991
Member since 2005 • 2501 Posts
It wouldn't really matter much to me since my console usually holds a constant broadband connection now and if/when the internet does goes out for any reason I usually don't even bother to turn my Xbox on.
judog1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#8 judog1
Member since 2005 • 24657 Posts
It seems like Blizzard is the only company that can get away with this. If my internet connection is down I refuse to play my Xbox, the experience feels very empty.
Avatar image for JayQproductions
JayQproductions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 JayQproductions
Member since 2007 • 1806 Posts

I don't really see why they wouldnt do it, maybe not to block used games but to block pirated or modded games sure. Microsoft already does similar inconveniant things like you cant be connected to Xbox live while playing Xbox original games, and you can't play some arcade games unless your connected to Xbox live. This seems more likely than blocking used games or the new Xbox having a Blu-Ray player.

Spellingiscool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Spellingiscool
Member since 2010 • 1450 Posts

I don't really see why they wouldnt do it, maybe not to block used games but to block pirated or modded games sure. Microsoft already does similar inconveniant things like you cant be connected to Xbox live while playing Xbox original games, and you can't play some arcade games unless your connected to Xbox live. This seems more likely than blocking used games or the new Xbox having a Blu-Ray player.

JayQproductions
Why wouldn't the new xbox have a blu ray player? They better. I'm tired of discs that get scratched even after you install them.
wwervin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#11 wwervin
Member since 2003 • 10274 Posts
The no-used-games rumor is also still a rumor. Don't believe everything you hear in the rumor mill. Let's wait and see when they actually unveil it.
judog1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 judog1
The no-used-games rumor is also still a rumor. Don't believe everything you hear in the rumor mill. Let's wait and see when they actually unveil it.wwervin
The PS3 also had the same rumor going around. Not sure if people are ready for a disc-less console just yet.
Flamingpostman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#13 Flamingpostman
Member since 2006 • 1172 Posts

no haha thats never going to happen.

Avatar image for JayQproductions
JayQproductions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 JayQproductions
Member since 2007 • 1806 Posts

[QUOTE="JayQproductions"]

Spellingiscool

Why wouldn't the new xbox have a blu ray player? They better. I'm tired of discs that get scratched even after you install them.

personally I don't like Blu-Ray, the tiniest finger print smudge or scratch causes sound to go in and out or other problems, Blu-Ray reads at a slower speed which is why a lot of PS3 games have mandentory installs, and Microsoft said before they will never use Blu-Ray in a game console and Blu-Ray is not needed in gaming. If anything I would expect them to come up with their own new format to use on their console so they won't be paying to use another companies technology and for better piracy/security measures.

judog1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 judog1

[QUOTE="Spellingiscool"][QUOTE="JayQproductions"]

JayQproductions

personally I don't like Blu-Ray, the tiniest finger print smudge or scratch causes sound to go in and out or other problems, Blu-Ray reads at a slower speed which is why a lot of PS3 games have mandentory installs, and Microsoft said before they will never use Blu-Ray in a game console and Blu-Ray is not needed in gaming. If anything I would expect them to come up with their own new format to use on their console so they won't be paying to use another companies technology and for better piracy/security measures.

I doubt Microsoft is going to try and revive HD DVD.
chilly-chill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 chilly-chill
Member since 2010 • 8902 Posts
That's all b.s, this won't happen for a while.
yungog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 yungog
Member since 2008 • 731 Posts

Cant see this happening at all

Chris_53

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Chris_53
Member since 2004 • 5513 Posts
I doubt this will happen, at least I hope it doesnt anyway
BostonDieNasty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 BostonDieNasty
Member since 2008 • 742 Posts

Have you guys heard the rumor that the new Xbox will need to be constantly connected to the internet in order to prevent the use of used games?

I have a very hard time believing it myself. It seems too stupid a buisness decision for it to be true.

You would think after the fiascos with Spore and Assassins Creed 2 for the PC that any company would stay far away from these kinds of security measures.

What do you think?

DKKain
just a rumor but i dont think it matters much.. how many xbox 360 are not connected to the internet 5%???? maybe 10%
Avatar image for LoneWanderer316
LoneWanderer316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 LoneWanderer316
Member since 2012 • 25 Posts
[QUOTE="DKKain"]

What do you think?

BostonDieNasty
just a rumor but i dont think it matters much.. how many xbox 360 are not connected to the internet 5%???? maybe 10%

I am part of that 5-10%. and it sucks like a ****. If they do this, then I'll definetely be jumping to Playstation. Like I should've done when the Playstation 3 first came out..
Rattlesnake_8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#22 Rattlesnake_8
Member since 2004 • 18452 Posts
They won't require an internet connection at all times, they would lose out on a LOT of sales from people that don't have the internet, have poor connections, have caps or who travel a lot and like to take their system with them. I think we will just see more games with online passes, which is an extra hassle for the consumer, but not much you can do.
RoslindaleOne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 RoslindaleOne
Member since 2006 • 7566 Posts
I highly doubt it.
riou7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#24 riou7  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 10842 Posts

The whole idea about constant internet connection is just ridiculous.

buccomatic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#25 buccomatic
Member since 2005 • 1941 Posts

What do you think?

DKKain

either way both M$ and Sony are going to get hammered by the handheld market and be out of business IMO.

the constant internet connection and not being able to play used games debacle will ensure that both microsoft and sony go out of business in the console gaming market unless both of the new consoles arehandheld devices and/or somehow double as a phone and connect to a base when being used as a console.

i see them pricing themselves out of the gaming market altogether and pissing off so many people that everyone will go find something else to do or play. maybe nintendo takes over again idk. but now way im paying $700.00 for a console/computer that only allows certain brand of games for that said console and no used games/always has to be connected... no way...

Avatar image for Inf1ltrat0r2157
Inf1ltrat0r2157

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Inf1ltrat0r2157
Member since 2012 • 25 Posts
See that happens to mine and it gets very annoying
Avatar image for BigZombieMonkey
BigZombieMonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 BigZombieMonkey
Member since 2010 • 25 Posts
Whilst I agree with many of the comments that this won't happen or is highly unlikely it does make me wonder if maybe they'll go the steam route in one sense where you need to be connected to the internet to register a game and be able to play it, single player or not. Essentially they could put in a measure that you need to be connected to the net to register the game but once it's registered the game can be played. This would cut out a lot of hacking and so on and would not stop you being able to play games if the net went down. They could add a phoneline call system like some PC software does but then they open themselves up to hacking anyway, even if it's a little more time consuming. At the end of the day the way they'll drive their customers online is by aiming games to be made for online, we've already seen this happening since the DLC was introduced, now you have to be online to be able to "add to your games" and in many cases you need to pay for online passes to be able to play online. They are always looking for ways to ensure legit copies are being played, if they didn't then piracy would bring down the gaming industry.
DrD3V1L

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#30 DrD3V1L
Member since 2004 • 2064 Posts

This is just a rumour and a bad one at that, I cannot see any company doing this... They would lose so much money in sales on consoles, I have 3 friends and two family members who all have Xbox 360's but have never plugged them into the internet, why? they wouldn't know where to start! and for the families without internet connections... Nah, wouldn't happend, and if it did, they need to re-think their design team.

Overlord93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Overlord93
Member since 2007 • 12602 Posts
Seems like a very stupid thing to do. especially for a company that is trying to dip it's toe into the casual market. They would lose a lot of sales if they do this. I know I certainly wouldn't buy it.
inaz121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 inaz121
Member since 2010 • 27 Posts

I hardly think This rumour is true.

there are many factors which proves it would be a bad idea

1.Everyone around the globe dont have 24X7 internet connection

2.If this idea is implemented by microsoft players will have to play games while logged in to the internet.Which means Single pplayer and Multiplayer modes wont have a big gap,in fact it wont have a gap.which would lead to many problems.The full single player experience cannot be gained if this happens.just imagine you playing a campaign mode in singleplayer,if the xbox is connected to the internet you woud receive fb,twitter notifications while playing the game.At the end you would be chatting with your Girlfriend(if u have one)while playing Halo.Which is seriously F**ked up.

3.Consumers are already wondering whether they should spend 300$ or upwards solely on a nonportable gaming device.If the new xbox arrive with a requirement of 24x7 internet connection its no doubt that they woudnt purchase it -this would conscern microft hugely.

4.name one device which is used globally which has the requirment of a 24x7 internet connection,there isnt.

So,i think it is hoax.

Megavideogamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#33 Megavideogamer
Member since 2004 • 6554 Posts

I don't really mind if the new Xbox requires constant internet connection. But it is not a good decision to go this way for Microsoft. The internet when down for 2 weeks last Christmas. In my area, Plus some people do not have internet in their area. Plus one hacker attack could cause wider dispruptions.

I would like to be able to use my Next Xbox if the internet does go down for some reason. I hope Microsoft doesn't do this. Even though I have internet. I will be fine. But others won't be.

The_Joker1721

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 The_Joker1721
Member since 2012 • 304 Posts
Microsoft would lose a lot of customers if they do this. I have a good connection but not everyone has internet connection and then what? a drop of customers and yolk on their faces for trying this. I dunno about that man. This rumor sounds REALLY sketchy.
Lulekani

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Lulekani
Member since 2012 • 2318 Posts
Excellent, we all know whats bad about this DRM. But cant anybody think of atleast one upside ? Besides this isnt what bothers, im worried the "Next Box" might be sold without all the essentials again, the batties, the hard drives, the Kinect, the headsets and other stuff that should be standard.
Lulekani

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Lulekani
Member since 2012 • 2318 Posts
Excellent, we all know whats bad about this DRM. But cant anybody think of atleast one upside ? Besides this isnt what bothers me, im worried the "Next Box" might be sold without all the essentials again, the batties, the cables, the hard drives, the Kinect, the headsets and other stuff that should be standard. Hope they sort that sh!t out.
Large_Soda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Large_Soda
Member since 2003 • 8658 Posts

2.If this idea is implemented by microsoft players will have to play games while logged in to the internet.Which means Single pplayer and Multiplayer modes wont have a big gap,in fact it wont have a gap.which would lead to many problems.The full single player experience cannot be gained if this happens.just imagine you playing a campaign mode in singleplayer,if the xbox is connected to the internet you woud receive fb,twitter notifications while playing the game.At the end you would be chatting with your Girlfriend(if u have one)while playing Halo.Which is seriously F**ked up.

3.Consumers are already wondering whether they should spend 300$ or upwards solely on a nonportable gaming device.If the new xbox arrive with a requirement of 24x7 internet connection its no doubt that they woudnt purchase it -this would conscern microft hugely.

4.name one device which is used globally which has the requirment of a 24x7 internet connection,there isnt.

So,i think it is hoax.

inaz121

LOL.

My console is connected to the Internet 24/7 and I don't get Facebook or Twitter notifications when playing single player games - how did you come to this insane conclusion? I can already play Halo and chat with my girlfriend if I want; you wrote this when the original Xbox was out didn't you? This post is from 2003, it has to be.

I can't tell you a device that has a required 24/7 Internet connection, but I can tell you that every single Internet capable device that I own (which are many) is connected to the Internet 24/7. Same goes for MANY people and those are the people the next console is directed at, not the people who buy an Xbox and never connect it to the Internet. It's the tens of millions that play Call of Duty ONLINE, Madden ONLINE and acquire DLC.......ONLINE. My 360 has had a dedicated Internet connection since 2005.

The only thing I'll agree on is that I don't believe the new consoles will be 100% Internet dependant, but I forsee a massive change from what we currently know as far as distribution and connectivity is concerned.

inaz121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 inaz121

[QUOTE="inaz121"]

So,i think it is hoax.

Large_Soda

LOL.

My console is connected to the Internet 24/7 and I don't get Facebook or Twitter notifications when playing single player games - how did you come to this insane conclusion? I can already play Halo and chat with my girlfriend if I want; you wrote this when the original Xbox was out didn't you? This post is from 2003, it has to be.

I can't tell you a device that has a required 24/7 Internet connection, but I can tell you that every single Internet capable device that I own (which are many) is connected to the Internet 24/7. Same goes for MANY people and those are the people the next console is directed at, not the people who buy an Xbox and never connect it to the Internet. It's the tens of millions that play Call of Duty ONLINE, Madden ONLINE and acquire DLC.......ONLINE. My 360 has had a dedicated Internet connection since 2005.

The only thing I'll agree on is that I don't believe the new consoles will be 100% Internet dependant, but I forsee a massive change from what we currently know as far as distribution and connectivity is concerned.

Have u read the topic,it says next gen Xbox,why are u talking about the xbox360.Nowadays people connect to the internet to play the multiplayer mode.So they have integrated social networking apps.If the next gen is connected 24x7 dont u think Devs will develop it to the single player mode as well.

what insane conclusion r u talking about.its just a logical thought if the device is connected to the internet 24X7 devs will try to/or will introduce social networking apps for the user to use 24X7.

p.s-Its a 2012 post

Large_Soda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Large_Soda
Member since 2003 • 8658 Posts

[QUOTE="Large_Soda"]

[QUOTE="inaz121"]

So,i think it is hoax.

inaz121

LOL.

Have u read the topic,it says next gen Xbox,why are u talking about the xbox360.Nowadays people connect to the internet to play the multiplayer mode.So they have integrated social networking apps.If the next gen is connected 24x7 dont u think Devs will develop it to the single player mode as well.

what insane conclusion r u talking about.its just a logical thought if the device is connected to the internet 24X7 devs will try to/or will introduce social networking apps for the user to use 24X7.

p.s-Its a 2012 post

I know it's a 2012 post :)

The reason I mentioned the 360 is because it already has the capabilties you seem to fear for the new console; the social networking apps are a real thing. You mentioned that the "full single player experience cannot be gained" if the console is connected to the Internet 24/7, as if you'd be playing a game, in a very crucial moment and then BLAM "John sent you a Facebook message" pops on screen interrupting the game. Believe me I think options like that will exist, but all of them will be optional.

My whole arguement here is that people without an Internet connection are not who Microsoft will be catering the next Xbox to; that is not where the money is.

VGjunkie87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 VGjunkie87
Member since 2008 • 244 Posts

either way both M$ and Sony are going to get hammered by the handheld market and be out of business IMO.

the constant internet connection and not being able to play used games debacle will ensure that both microsoft and sony go out of business in the console gaming market unless both of the new consoles arehandheld devices and/or somehow double as a phone and connect to a base when being used as a console.

i see them pricing themselves out of the gaming market altogether and pissing off so many people that everyone will go find something else to do or play. maybe nintendo takes over again idk. but now way im paying $700.00 for a console/computer that only allows certain brand of games for that said console and no used games/always has to be connected... no way...

this would be unfortunate and I would turn to PC. I haven't had a handheld game unit since game gear and I don't see why people want to play video games on a '3-4" screen?' I love my 40" LCD HDTV and turtle beach headset, makes gaming for me a whole new experience.

roleplayer2004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 61

#41 roleplayer2004
Member since 2004 • 921 Posts

It might not happen this gen but by the time the next next gen consoles come around 2020-2022 it will be standard. I don't think microsoft would be stupid enough to make such a big call until the recession is over.

inaz121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 inaz121

[QUOTE="inaz121"]

[QUOTE="Large_Soda"]

LOL.

Large_Soda

p.s-Its a 2012 post

I know it's a 2012 post :)

The reason I mentioned the 360 is because it already has the capabilties you seem to fear for the new console; the social networking apps are a real thing. You mentioned that the "full single player experience cannot be gained" if the console is connected to the Internet 24/7, as if you'd be playing a game, in a very crucial moment and then BLAM "John sent you a Facebook message" pops on screen interrupting the game. Believe me I think options like that will exist, but all of them will be optional.

My whole arguement here is that people without an Internet connection are not who Microsoft will be catering the next Xbox to; that is not where the money is.

Lets just wait and see

ZamboniGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 ZamboniGamer
Member since 2011 • 530 Posts

Well last week my internet was out from Friday to Sunday. If this turns out to be true I'm out of luck if that happens again.