Nerds Ripping on Nerds for Being Nerds

• 54 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

sixgears2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 0

#1 sixgears2
Member since 2006 • 1261 Posts

Oh the irony!!!! I just visited the thread from a kid asking how to take off the three hour a day limit on his 360 (put there by his parents) and basically every post was telling him to "get a life" or "hang with friends". I have a news flash: We are all members on a VIDEO GAME WEBSITE. That pretty much makes us all nerds. And I bet half of you play for longer than he does per day (about 6 hours). Now, I'm not saying that that is healthy, but I know that I wouldn't complain if I had 6 hours a day to game (I don't, actually not even close unfortunately). I just think it's ridiculous for nerds to call each other nerds. Let's face it, none of us are "cool" by the traditional definition. And there's nothing wrong with that. Figured I would make a thread to see if anyone else is annoyed by the constant "get a life" statements frrom other gamers.

BTW, I am married, work a lot, and am in college, so please spare me the "get a girlfriend" or "get a job" rhetoric I am sure this will attract.

Avatar image for GameMasterCraig
GameMasterCraig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 GameMasterCraig
Member since 2007 • 630 Posts
Nerds call other nerds nerds because it makes them feel cool, and in fact, they are not anymore cooler than them.
Matt-4542

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Matt-4542
Member since 2008 • 8002 Posts

Lol, so you think its ridiculous for "nerds" to call each other "nerds", yet youre calling us all "nerds" even though youre a "nerd"

Nice job :roll:

sixgears2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 sixgears2

Lol, so you think its ridiculous for "nerds" to call each other "nerds", yet youre calling us all "nerds" even though youre a "nerd"

Matt-4542

no i am saying we are all nerds, not that you're a nerd and i'm not. that's the difference. :)

Matt-4542

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Matt-4542
Member since 2008 • 8002 Posts
[QUOTE="Matt-4542"]

sixgears2

no i am saying we are all nerds, not that you're a nerd and i'm not. that's the difference. :)

Im a nerd? Oh yay. Youre still calling me a nerd, which basically is contradicting what you said in your OP.
aarow82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 aarow82
Member since 2004 • 160 Posts

It's a scientific fact that gamers are the coolest people on the planet.

Locke562

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Locke562
Member since 2004 • 7673 Posts
RAAAAAAAGGGEE!!!1!!
pygmahia5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 pygmahia5
Member since 2007 • 7428 Posts
actually being "cool" and being a "nerd" both rely on perspective. and i dont think im a nerd lol...hopefully not..:(
pygmahia5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 pygmahia5
Member since 2007 • 7428 Posts

It's a scientific fact that gamers are the coolest people on the planet.

aarow82

hahaha i agree with this guy

sixgears2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 sixgears2
[QUOTE="sixgears2"][QUOTE="Matt-4542"]

Matt-4542

Im a nerd? Oh yay. Youre still calling me a nerd, which basically is contradicting what you said in your OP.

Did I mention my other pet peeve, people that argue for no good reason?

sixgears2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 sixgears2

actually being "cool" and being a "nerd" both rely on perspective. and i dont think im a nerd lol...hopefully not..:(pygmahia5

true, but most of society would see people that like games enough to join a game website and post on its forums as nerds. i personally don't see what the issue is, that's my point. better than alot of things we could be doing.

vendettared468

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12 vendettared468
Member since 2006 • 4437 Posts

Let's face it, none of us are "cool" by the traditional definition.

sixgears2

Hey.....speak for yourself

Avatar image for TheActionFigure
TheActionFigure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 TheActionFigure
Member since 2007 • 207 Posts
I agree with the topic starter. I read that same thread and didn't even bother posting because of how ridiculous the responses were. Most people I know call me a nerd for even coming to these forums. I am, but who cares? It's just another case of the kettle calling the pot black.
RaptimusPrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 RaptimusPrime
Member since 2008 • 452 Posts

Matt-4542

WOW NERD OF THE CENTURY GOES TO U, u start attacking the topic creator for his post, shows how a nerd like u would get offended like this so maybe we are nerds but you are a mega nerd

Avatar image for GameMasterCraig
GameMasterCraig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 GameMasterCraig
Member since 2007 • 630 Posts
I doubt any gamer would get called a nerd for winning a gaming competition and winning a few thousand dollars or winning the Halo 3 competition and along with NZ$3.6 million dollars. Gaming=Cool.
fox-21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 fox-21
Member since 2008 • 224 Posts
um what does this have to do with the xbox 360??
MrLions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#18 MrLions
Member since 2007 • 9833 Posts
One those people are a-holes and two i'm pretty sure everyone is a nerd in some way in the whole world :P
Ghost_702

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#19 Ghost_702
Member since 2006 • 7405 Posts
All of you nerds just be quite ok?? Why is this on the 360 forum anyways, it revolves around nerds in general as opposed to only nerds on the 360.
wii_dude101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#20 wii_dude101
Member since 2007 • 318 Posts
Hey first off, everyone is a nerd I think, it just depends on what level of nerdness your on, hey yea sometimes I play games for 6 hours a day, but not every single day, it's unhealthy and it's just not worth it, yea I don't agree on "get a girlfriend" thing, a girl just broke up with me acouple weeks ago, and now people are calling me a nerd, but really.....
EclipseStorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 EclipseStorm
Member since 2005 • 306 Posts
to be honest I couldn't care less if people call me a nerd. especially if they are referring to me as a nerd because I play video games. video games are becoming more and more mainstream. in high school I was a jock and never had time for video games. now I have a job and continue to go to school but instead of playing sports in my "free time" I play video games. If that makes me a "nerd" then so be it. I'm proud to be a nerd then.
kreider204

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#22 kreider204
Member since 2003 • 2519 Posts
Nerds are the coolest people I know.
Markoboy09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Markoboy09
Member since 2004 • 86 Posts
I hate when people know they are nerds and dont admit it. I always admit to people that I am a total nerd. I actually gave up video games since I was 14, but an accident at work as few years ago handicapped me so now i not as active as i used to. that kinda forced me back into video game cuz i cant play sports like i used to. despite that, its not like a spend hours a day on my xbox. i still hangout with friends and go to the gym and stuff.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 9480473
Member since 2006 • 61 Posts
well games have become such a big part of our society that just because you enjoy video games does not mean your a nerd in fact in most schools and work places like places you can be popular in the most popular people like video games in my opinion if like games but still have a life out side of them you not a nerd at all but if pretty much all you do has to do with playing games talking about games and dreaming and thinking about games constantly then your a nerd in my opinion.
SaintJimmmy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 SaintJimmmy
Member since 2007 • 2815 Posts

im not even going to try to attempt to defend myself mainly because ill get posts like "N0z Y0u D0nT H4v3 d4 L1f3 l053r"

but really i do this in my free time ussually late at night (on days i have to work like today) and early mornings i have a freinds and i have a girlfreind i actually keep my gaming pretty quiet from most of my freinds and i dont call people nerds on the forums just cause im not a total d-bag and now that i totaling contricdicted myself the point is

Streotyping ftl

sixgears2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 sixgears2

One those people are a-holes and two i'm pretty sure everyone is a nerd in some way in the whole world :PMrLions

lol very tue

sixgears2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 sixgears2

well games have become such a big part of our society that just because you enjoy video games does not mean your a nerd in fact in most schools and work places like places you can be popular in the most popular people like video games in my opinion if like games but still have a life out side of them you not a nerd at all but if pretty much all you do has to do with playing games talking about games and dreaming and thinking about games constantly then your a nerd in my opinion.9480473

yeah, but if that's what your interest is, who cares? why should you have to conform to what's "normal" or "healthy" by everyone else's definition even if it doesn't fit with you personally? Not saying that all I think about is games, but if i did, that would be ok.

Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#28 Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts

Matt-4542

When did he say that? He was talking ABOUT the fact that these "people" do. No offence but did you even read his comment? And what's wrong with being a nerd? We all have a nerdy side to all of us. There is absolutely nothing wrong with that. I would rather be a nerd than an egotistical jerk, who has issues deep down inside. If you know what I'm talking about..

ISuperGamerI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 ISuperGamerI
Member since 2006 • 3292 Posts

um what does this have to do with the xbox 360??fox-21

Excellent question. Furthermore, what does the word "nerd" have to do with playing video games or visiting game sites, such as, GameSpot? It's a hobby and there is nothing wrong with it. People who call us gamers "nerds" or to "get a life" are a bunch of hypocrites.

DoomZaW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#32 DoomZaW
Member since 2007 • 6475 Posts
I game + 6 hours a day, and so F***** WHAT?
Jolly_Lolly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Jolly_Lolly
Member since 2008 • 332 Posts
didnt you just make this thread in the OT?
Andrew_Xavier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#34 Andrew_Xavier
Member since 2007 • 9625 Posts
There's a difference, in that thread, the kid said he played AT LEAST 5-6 hours of video games a day, EVERY day, that's just sick. No one even called him a nerd, most were saying to balance video games with some form of physical activity, which is essential honestly.
hotdoggin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 hotdoggin
Member since 2005 • 244 Posts

damnit

i want nerds now

the candy i mean...

MaddenGod08

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 MaddenGod08
Member since 2008 • 98 Posts
[QUOTE="sixgears2"]

Let's face it, none of us are "cool" by the traditional definition.

vendettared468

Hey.....speak for yourself

He not talking about us. We are still the coolest ones on here. And RaptimusPrime too. lol.

Riisu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Riisu
Member since 2003 • 216 Posts

Nerds are the coolest people I know.kreider204

Does that say something about you or about nerds?

MaddenGod08

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 MaddenGod08
Member since 2008 • 98 Posts

[QUOTE="kreider204"]Nerds are the coolest people I know.Riisu

Does that say something about you or about nerds?

lol. It says he's a nerd/dork.....Im sorry for being mean......I just dont care. HA.

rumtumtugger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 rumtumtugger
Member since 2004 • 645 Posts
I am considered cool because I am good at games. All good gamers in my class are. Your country must have strange customs.
gamer4life85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 gamer4life85
Member since 2003 • 1203 Posts

I would consider most of us as geeks not nerds, But you are what ever you are.

This is how you know your a geek.

1. you love tech
  2. computers
  3. video games
  4. Media

This how you know your a nerd

1. non social
  2. Usually really smart
  3. Not the best looking guy/girl

Thats how us Americans treat each difference.

mohfrontline

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#41 mohfrontline
Member since 2007 • 5678 Posts
totally agree.
BboyStatix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 BboyStatix
Member since 2007 • 651 Posts

ahhhhhhh!!!!!!!!! what is wrong with everybody? a nerd is someone who plays videogames for more than 1 hour and suck at sports and dont seem to have a life. you can play videogames and still not be a nerd if u know how to balance everyting in life. i myself play videogames only on satdays and sundays only for an hour and exercise everyday(basketball,skateboardin,swimmingbreakdancing)

so here u guyz should understand not allof us are nerds cuz some of us kno how to balance it out

xFuryx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#43 xFuryx
Member since 2007 • 745 Posts
Who the hell uses the word "Nerd" anymore? If you still do, grow up.
Bigben45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Bigben45
Member since 2007 • 39 Posts

Okay, Video Games rule.

I don't play sports.

Still trying for a girlfriend...

Learning C++

Am I a nerd?

Most likely.

Am I having fun?

HELL YES!!!

nickarate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 nickarate
Member since 2005 • 92 Posts

I'm gonna be straight up here... I'm not a nerd just cuz I'm signed up for this site. I play less than 30 min a day, go to school, and work for the LA Times... all while working on joining my local body building competition. I have no problem with women or anything like that.

With that out of the way, I agree with what you have to say. All the people on this site want to play video games, and for someone to want to play more doesn't make them a "nerd". So... i agreed w/ 1/2 of what the poster said.

am1damaru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#46 am1damaru
Member since 2006 • 143 Posts

ahhhhhhh!!!!!!!!! what is wrong with everybody? a nerd is someone who plays videogames for more than 1 hour and suck at sports and dont seem to have a life. you can play videogames and still not be a nerd if u know how to balance everyting in life. i myself play videogames only on satdays and sundays only for an hour and exercise everyday(basketball,skateboardin,swimmingbreakdancing)

so here u guyz should understand not allof us are nerds cuz some of us kno how to balance it out

BboyStatix

Please tell me what's source of your definition of ,,nerd"? It sounds like "everyone who don't do like I do are nerds" which is childish. You actually pointed that you play sports and games for one hour and then put in devinition "fact" that all who play games more are nerds. And your balance in last sentence. What the hell is that? For you one hour is so much that you can't get it and for another is just start of playin'. It all goes around what I saw in your post before "everyone who don't do like I do are nerds". "Not all of us" (in good typin') so what you are just better because you play less? You play exacly the same games.

Ok that's for Mr.Special BboyStatix. Now all comes to sixgears2 who started this topic with nice theory "we are all nerds"

If you fell like nerd it's your problem but I'm not nerd just because I play games or I'm a member of Video Game Website. There's many people who do this and ain't "nerdy" if I can say it in that way. Another thing is nearly everyone people trully don't bother how much I, you, him play. If you bother about "what people will write to me" so go on I'll write you jump out the building from 83rd floor (no more, no less don't even think about less floors) and you'll jump? It's all about how you fell and nothing else. If you fell nerdy ok, be a nerd, but if you talk to me "you're nerd" you're just insulting me and other co-users.

For nickarate

It's nice to have your own opinion doesn't it?

Bombed420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#47 Bombed420
Member since 2002 • 230 Posts

The word nerd is to loosely thrown around these days. I play games a lot during a week. Me and my friend literally sat down all weekend to beat Lego Indy, and I don't consider that being nerdy. But that's my opinion, and everyone has a different view of what makes somone a nerd.

Personally, I think playing Dungeons and Dragons or Warhammer 40k for an hour would make you seem more nerdy then if you played a game for 5 hours.

Tsunami23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Tsunami23
Member since 2004 • 1352 Posts

Matt-4542

You have no idea what you are talking about. He never said that he wasn't a nerd, so he is not contradicting his initial statement.

And yes, I have accepted the fact that I too am a perpetual nerd.

tgschmidt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 tgschmidt
Member since 2004 • 3167 Posts
There's a difference, in that thread, the kid said he played AT LEAST 5-6 hours of video games a day, EVERY day, that's just sick. No one even called him a nerd, most were saying to balance video games with some form of physical activity, which is essential honestly.Andrew_Xavier
not to mention the fact that the kid was on here crying because his parents were acting like parents. i didn't see a problem then and i don't see one now. do we all go on game binges? of course. but his parents felt he was playing too much, so they made the call. and for all the children out there who argue how unfair this is.....it's part of the perks of being a parent. we get to make decisions for you when we fill your decision is stupid. doesn't matter if you agree or not. we're still the parents. you'll get to do the same thing when you get older and have children.
Avatar image for deactivated-65441e217e74c
deactivated-65441e217e74c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 deactivated-65441e217e74c
Member since 2003 • 308 Posts

I think this all stems back to the Nerds vs. Geeks thing. First off, I am a Nerd and i love every bit of it. to define nerd, and geek will make this easier for everyoen to understand. GEEK = Sweaty, Overwieght, single, Living in parents basement soldering together something with leftover recycled cans that resembles Boobs. Geeks love to play games for 32 hours straight, while eating cheese its, and drinking Mountain dew. Nerds on the other hand, Tend to have careers, Girlfriends/wifes/even familys. They live on thier own or with their family/girlfriends (NOT IN PARENTS BASMENT) They have other hobbies that may or may not include sports. They may be enrolled in college or university but it cannot be in the extreme sceiences or space programs. (that means you trek boy). Nerds are more of the laid back jocks of videogames. They play them enough ot be very good, but still take the rest of thier lives seriously. Geeks are the EXTREME fanboys that would physically try and hurt you if you knocked on their console or pc. (that is if they left the basement.... But they only do that for star trek/star wars conventions.) Dont get me wrong i think that star wars was pretty cool back in the day.... But im not about to dress up as a skywalker and dry hump a fat chick in a wookie costume.

Now that may seem liek alot to take in, or that it veered of course, but the point is that Geeks and nerds live seperate lives. I am very happy that I am a nerd, but you need to respect the laws of life. For this poor guy with 3 hours of gaming a day.... You are lucky. I had 30 minutes a day when i was young. And that was for t.v. OR Gaming. You will hate it with a passion but you will respect it the day you realize that your parents were just trying ot make sure you would turn out to be a Nerd and not a geek. They dont want you living their in your late 20's mid 30's. Everytime you and your gf/future wife have an annoying argument, or you are told how wrong you are... just think you might never have seen real boobs... just those soldered cans in your basement, if it wasent for your parents restrictions.

and finally my main point.....

NERDS DONT RIP ON NERDS. Nerds rip on Geeks and Geeks Rip on nerds... ITs an epic struggle that will never end. For all you nerds who need a real world relation - Its just like how When your making a grilled cheese. You either flip it just to early so its not crisp enough, or just to late and its burnt. Its an inevitible situation...... For you geeks that need a relation - think of it as that every time your online MMORPG Character is about to win a battle, you get tons of lag and are defeated....

This battle will always rage on, but know this.

In our own seperate zones - Nerds live life to the fullest and Geeks do in their own way.

Nerd on Geek and Geek on Nerd violence needs to stop but it never will. Its almost impossible for one or the other to write a long winded explination of the situation without putting jabs in their against the other.

And at the end of it all - I am going to make a grilled cheese sandwich. I am hungry.