Microsoft: "Child Account" Fix will be included in FALL UPDATE

• 51 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

SPHYNXA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 SPHYNXA
Member since 2003 • 2944 Posts

"Trixie", Xbox.com Community Manager has made a post concerning the "Child Account" issue hundreds of thousands of Xbox Live users have encountered today and will continue to encounter after downloading the Spring Update.

The good news? A fix is on the way.

The bad news? It will be included in the Fall Update. Yes, you read that right... that's not a typo. The FALL Update.

She continues a few posts down:
"As I said above, this issue will be addressed in the Fall update. Until then the only real option is to set up a new gamertag as an adult. It's not optimal and we realize that, which is why we are working on a solution for Fall."

Aaron89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Aaron89
Member since 2003 • 3377 Posts

That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard - we have to wait another 6 months or so just to take hold of a new feature?

I would hope they find a resolution soon...

Thanks for the news! 

allen30009

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 allen30009
Member since 2005 • 536 Posts
who the hell is that guy do he have any say on what M$ do?
miguelpaco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 miguelpaco
Member since 2006 • 1086 Posts
lol
SPHYNXA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 SPHYNXA
Mind you I'm no programer, but I have absolutely no idea why it would take another 6 months to fix this issue.  Sure everything is intergrated with one another (your Hotmail, MSN and Gamertag), but really, couldn't you just put an option in the Family Controls to Enable MSN messenger for specific profiles on your 360?

Perhaps due to all of the intergration with the formentioned services this wouldn't be possible, had MSN not worked previously with people who's Live ID accounts had an age younger than 18.  But this is not so, MSN works for everyone 13 years of age and older.  So honestly, I don't understand.
konradak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7 konradak
Member since 2005 • 1769 Posts
0.o We have to wait that long for this prob 2 be fixed? That's rediculous. I'm 18 but I've had Xbox Live since the beginning and I'm considered a child. Uhhh. Gheyy.
SPHYNXA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 SPHYNXA

who the hell is that guy do he have any say on what M$ do?allen30009

It's a girl.  She's been Microsoft's Community Manager for their official Xbox forums for years.  So yes, she has provided the community on the Xbox.com forums with most of the official information written in that particular section of the site. 

KIELW93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#9 KIELW93
Member since 2005 • 4794 Posts
At the rate the current updater is downloading for me, maybe it will be finished by the time the fall update comes out. :P
Avatar image for deactivated-61a196f38f0e1
deactivated-61a196f38f0e1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#10 deactivated-61a196f38f0e1
Member since 2005 • 4632 Posts
well, aint this great. im only 13, so this sux.
Aaron89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Aaron89

Mind you I'm no programer, but I have absolutely no idea why it would take another 6 months to fix this issue. Sure everything is intergrated with one another (your Hotmail, MSN and Gamertag), but really, couldn't you just put an option in the Family Controls to Enable MSN messenger for specific profiles on your 360?

Perhaps due to all of the intergration with the formentioned services this wouldn't be possible, had MSN not worked previously with people who's Live ID accounts had an age younger than 18. But this is not so, MSN works for everyone 13 years of age and older. So honestly, I don't understand.
SPHYNXA

It's acutally not as difficult as some may think ... but I assume this, of course. I've programmed in ActionScript 2.0/3.0, Visual Basic, and C# (moderate to advanced), and fixes such as this really aren't that hard. However, a console could be COMPLETELY different.

It was just today I read an article (somewhere on the net - just trust me) that Windows Live Mail will be finishing it's last stages of the Beta .. and how much easier (yes, easier) it is to update code in this new version (as opposed to the old Hotmail service). This was the reason for the upgrade (which was built ground-up). I find it a little ironic how this was supposed to make programmer's lives more easy, yet it'll take another 6 months to complete this simple "fix" to this major flaw. 

Demonspore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Demonspore
Member since 2005 • 241 Posts
ok, what i really dont get is why this would be on in the first place. it's mostly people under 18 who use instant messeging, so why would they restrict this for people under 18? this makes no sense to me.
Guess_With_ReX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Guess_With_ReX
Member since 2007 • 1191 Posts

That's ok.

Im just going to make a new account using my e-mail.

hopefully it works, everytime i try it says i can't :(

SPHYNXA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 SPHYNXA

At the rate the current updater is downloading for me, maybe it will be finished by the time the fall update comes out. :PKIELW93

From what I understand (I haven't downloaded it yet) it should only take about 60 seconds or so.  Also, good information Aaron89. 

Chloera

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#15 Chloera
Member since 2006 • 216 Posts

Who actually gives a c*** about the MSN feature...i dont...get over it

miguelpaco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 miguelpaco

Chloera

what the 50 plus threads created today didnt let you know who cares? i mean i dont either, but thats a pretty ignorant statement on your part 

Pittfan666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#17 Pittfan666
Member since 2003 • 8638 Posts

You've got to be kidding me! What a way to anger me.

Aaron89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Aaron89

Chloera

Once they actually fix the issue, and I can use the feature - I won't even care about it.

Now, though, I'm upset that:

1) This highly-accliamed new service is unaccessible to myself and many others, although we will be/are 18 

2) I gladly pay $50 for Xbox Live knowing these updates and services are being worked on ... so why can't I use it? 

3) The Logic of MS: I can use MSN on my PC to potentially talk to predators - but not my Xbox 360 (which I believe 99% of the XBL community is not looking for young boys to talk with)

Mikey289

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Mikey289
Member since 2005 • 1949 Posts
But im only 15 and I can use the MSN feature just fine? What is this bug about really I dont understand?
Chloera

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Chloera
[QUOTE="Chloera"]

miguelpaco

what the 50 plus threads created today didnt let you know who cares? i mean i dont either, but thats a pretty ignorant statement on your part 

What do i have to ask president bush for my own opinion nowadays?

SPHYNXA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 SPHYNXA
[QUOTE="miguelpaco"][QUOTE="Chloera"]

Chloera

Was that supposed to be funny? Was miguelpaco supposed to ask you if he could express his opinion? He demonstrated that he can use logic in his post; something that you have not.

ParkCarsHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#22 ParkCarsHere
Member since 2004 • 3556 Posts

thats just f*ckin  rediculous. Use your head microsft, they basically just screwed all the hype for this update, and now thousands of people have to wait for the fall one..that just p"sses me off!snipeshot11

I completely agree. This is ridiculous. There's no way this should even be a problem. They tell us this is going to be the best update ever (practically), yet those of us who registered pre-18 got completely screwed. This was a terrible move on Microsoft's part, and delaying the update until FALL!? Even worse. They're a big company, they can get an update out much sooner than that. There's no need for this to take several months.

Oh wait, I forgot... this is Microsoft. Money is all they care about. My bad.

miguelpaco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 miguelpaco
[QUOTE="miguelpaco"][QUOTE="Chloera"]

Chloera

lol, o sorry, didnt know you were one of those "special" kids.... carry on 

aAaronn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 aAaronn
Member since 2006 • 469 Posts
There is no way it will take that long, not with half the community complaining about it. If it really does take until the fall update then i think i might explode into little pieces.
Chloera

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Chloera
[QUOTE="Chloera"][QUOTE="miguelpaco"][QUOTE="Chloera"]

SPHYNXA

Was that supposed to be funny? Was miguelpaco supposed to ask you if he could express his opinion? He demonstrated that he can use logic in his post; something that you have not.

Did it look like i put lol at the end of the sentence? No!...here is a website that might be able to help you if you have difficulty seeing (http://www.specsavers.co.uk)

Toastman923

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Toastman923
Member since 2003 • 385 Posts
well, it doesnt matter for me, cuz i will be 18 come this fall, so i guess its good
Toastman923

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Toastman923
Member since 2003 • 385 Posts
but i would love to see the whole child account eliminated completely, or if you could you could just turn it off from a parent profile
SPHYNXA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 SPHYNXA

[QUOTE="SPHYNXA"][QUOTE="Chloera"][QUOTE="miguelpaco"][QUOTE="Chloera"]

Chloera

Did it look like i put lol at the eng of the sentence? No!...here is a website that might be able to help you if you have difficulty seeing (http://www.specsavers.co.uk )

Apparently you are the one having difficulty seeing as that website doesn't exist (better check the address if you can read it). Also, if you do manage to track down a pair of glasses, use them to do a little spell checking, would ya?

Chloera

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Chloera
Err...yeah it does exist http://www.specsavers.co.uk you had to copy and paste the one above (if you know what that means) but you can just click that one YAY well done to you...youve mastered clicking a mouse
SPHYNXA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 SPHYNXA

Err...yeah it does exist http://www.specsavers.co.uk you had to copy and paste the one above (if you know what that means) but you can just click that one YAY well done to you...youve mastered clicking a mouseChloera

Wouldn't have anything to do with the fact that you edited your previous post twice, would it? I assumed it was a joke, but as you said, I didn't see the "lol" at the end.  Or "eng" as you spelt it... you know, before you edited

Chloera

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Chloera

[QUOTE="Chloera"]Err...yeah it does exist http://www.specsavers.co.uk/ you had to copy and paste the one above (if you know what that means) but you can just click that one YAY well done to you...youve mastered clicking a mouseSPHYNXA

Wouldn't have anything to do with the fact that you edited your previous post twice, would it? I assumed it was a joke, but as you said, I didn't see the "lol" at the end.  Or "eng" as you spelt it... you know, before you edited

Why did you put lol in quotes...will this help http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&q=define%3Alol&meta=

SPHYNXA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 SPHYNXA
[QUOTE="SPHYNXA"]

[QUOTE="Chloera"]Err...yeah it does exist http://www.specsavers.co.uk/ you had to copy and paste the one above (if you know what that means) but you can just click that one YAY well done to you...youve mastered clicking a mouseChloera

Wouldn't have anything to do with the fact that you edited your previous post twice, would it? I assumed it was a joke, but as you said, I didn't see the "lol" at the end. Or "eng" as you spelt it... you know, before you edited

Why did you put lol in quotes...will this help http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&q=define%3Alol&meta=

Why?  Because you used the term, not I.  So when I referenced what you said, proper punctuation would require quotes placed on both sides.  You'll learn that in middle school, no worries.

Chloera

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Chloera
Nah...think you need to go back to nursery
Sixpack5001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Sixpack5001
Member since 2005 • 37 Posts
yeah thats totally lame, im 15 and MSN is supposed to work for those 13 and older, so what the hell?
Areola54

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#36 Areola54
Member since 2006 • 1827 Posts

ha ha... that how they get back at all you brats for ruining live.

really, if you were stupid enough to give your real bday, you deserve to be locked. 

MrNib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#37 MrNib
Member since 2004 • 1731 Posts

im 14 going on 15 

thank god i made my birhtdate  january 1st 1970 ^_^

ParkCarsHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 ParkCarsHere

really, if you were stupid enough to give your real bday, you deserve to be locked. 

Areola54

*sarcasm* Wow, you seem pretty mature! Thanks for being a good role model. I know a lot of people under the age of 18 that are a lot more mature than you are, so don't go calling them "brats" or "stupid."

Microsoft messed up, and now they are responsible to fix it as quickly as possible. It's not the fault of honest people giving their real ages.

verde622

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 verde622
Member since 2005 • 411 Posts
absoluetly typical Micro$oft
THEKING1337

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 THEKING1337
Member since 2006 • 2086 Posts
well, aint this great. im only 13, so this sux.DarkChaoMan75
:lol:
melkor456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 melkor456
Member since 2006 • 47 Posts

Areola54

It's not that I was stupid enough to give my real bday, it is that when I originally signed up for live years ago, my parens made me let them enter everything and set it up. Not much I could do about it.

DoctorFunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 DoctorFunk
Member since 2002 • 18740 Posts
I just love Microsoft ! :D
dcowboys3315

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 dcowboys3315
Member since 2004 • 3044 Posts
haha yea u gotta wait til fall to be able to use the spring update lol
Amadpineapple

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Amadpineapple
Member since 2007 • 31 Posts
Hmm, this sucks i have to wait until September to use a highly anticipated feature designed for May? You'd think 14 (age i was when i first got live) would be old enough to talk to people.
KIELW93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 KIELW93
Member since 2005 • 4794 Posts

[QUOTE="KIELW93"]At the rate the current updater is downloading for me, maybe it will be finished by the time the fall update comes out. :PSPHYNXA

From what I understand (I haven't downloaded it yet) it should only take about 60 seconds or so.  Also, good information Aaron89. 

:shock:  It took over half an hour for me to get it half-downloaded, and then it told me it couldn't finish the download!!!!!  I had to start over, but it wouldn't go at all! I gave up...:x

xboxdudeman800

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 xboxdudeman800
Member since 2005 • 3880 Posts

haha yea u gotta wait til fall to be able to use the spring update loldcowboys3315

...no, he just can't use windows messenger.

ParkCarsHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 ParkCarsHere

haha yea u gotta wait til fall to be able to use the spring update loldcowboys3315

Heh... Microsoft will probably start doing this for ALL their updates ;).

cyrax453

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 cyrax453
Member since 2004 • 1666 Posts
Will the Fall update let people who were "children" see Ads and Featured DLs?
SPHYNXA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 SPHYNXA

[QUOTE="dcowboys3315"]haha yea u gotta wait til fall to be able to use the spring update lolxboxdudeman800

...no, he just can't use windows messenger.

It was a joke.  He meant that in order to utilize the real feature of the Spring Update, a lot of us will have to wait until the Fall Update, so that it can patch the Spring Update, so that we can use the feature that was originally supposed to be available to us in the Spring.

Here's to hopin the Fall Update doesn't actually include any new features.  I wouldn't want to have to wait until Spring '08 to use 'em. 

ParkCarsHere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 ParkCarsHere

Will the Fall update let people who were "children" see Ads and Featured DLs?cyrax453

It should. By my understanding it will change the accounts to "adult" accounts so they will have everything, such as IM use and the Ads. It makes sense at least. This should of been there from the beginning anyways. As soon as the user turns 18, parental controls are removed.