Is Microsoft forcing us to pay for Downloadable content?

• 98 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

thomasonfa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#1 thomasonfa
Member since 2003 • 265 Posts

In April's Game Informer News, they had an article called, ""The Content Microsoft Doesn't Want You to Have" on page 32. It talks about the publishers wanting to put out "free" downloadable content but Microsoft isn't letting them. According to the article Microsoft is placing prices on content that the companies wanted to give us for free, because "Microsoft wanting to make gamers accustomed to paying money for goods above and beyond wallpapers."

I almost wrote this off as an April Fools joke or something like that until I remembered an interview that Ben Ward of Bizarre Creations (Geometry Wars: Retro Evolved) had with IGN UK.

I think that maybe we should do some kind of petition, so this problem is brought up to Microsoft just to let them know that, as customers, we don't like being "nickel and dime" for content that game companies want to give us free.

Does anyone have any ideas about this? I think this is more legit then petitioning Capcom over Devil May Cry having a multiplatform release. I want to gauge everyone about this idea, and perhaps someone noticed this too.

IGN UK interview: http://uk.xbox360.ign.com/articles/772/772651p2.html

Kuruption84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Kuruption84
Member since 2003 • 5354 Posts
It's business. Don't like it, don't buy it.
butkis689

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 butkis689
Member since 2003 • 1955 Posts

gears content is free, and supposedly GHII content will be free. So idk about that article's arguement. it sounds plausible, but really i don't mind paying, its not like its that expensive.

i just read that IGN article and i must say that is intruiging that MS made them do that. 

JoshChambers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 JoshChambers
Member since 2004 • 1646 Posts
meh, its not that expensive so whatever. You dont have to buy anything so if you dont like something then just dont buy it.
thomasonfa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 thomasonfa

It isn't that much but looking at how we are charged to play on-line and to see advertisments. It would be nice to see a price drop on Xbox live memebership or if game companies are wanting to give free content away Microsoft shouldn't charge.

blue-fish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#6 blue-fish
Member since 2003 • 1389 Posts
Absolutely this pisses me off.  MS didn't want Geometry wars or Gears content to be free, both so they could get money but also to make companies like EA who charge for everything not look bad in comparison.  Epic had to fight MS for the first Gears update and maps to be free and then they had to fight them again for the second pack.  MS is being insane on this one and it makes me angry that they are denying companies the freedom to charge what they want for their own products.  Petition.
thomasonfa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 thomasonfa
I don't understand how people don't mind paying for stuff that game companies want to give away for free. Could some one explain how paying for free stuff is cool? Don't get me wrong, I love to play on-line but since we pay for Xbox Live; why advertisements? Shouldn't ads reduce the cost?
Myugenjin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Myugenjin
Member since 2003 • 785 Posts
Doesn't anyone remember all that talk of micropayments right before the 360 launched!
Magna_Man109

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Magna_Man109
Member since 2005 • 5527 Posts
I don't understand how people don't mind paying for stuff that game companies want to give away for free. Could some one explain how paying for free stuff is cool? Don't get me wrong, I love to play on-line but since we pay for Xbox Live; why advertisements? Shouldn't ads reduce the cost?thomasonfa
exactly... if we see ad's on Xbox Live then we shouldn't pay 40 bucks a year for it
Deyee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Deyee
Member since 2006 • 882 Posts

I honestly don't find a problem with it as I don't pay for anything on Xbox Live other than the $50 a year.

allen30009

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 allen30009
Member since 2005 • 536 Posts
yea why do we have to pay for every little thing im sick of it we got to pay just to play online an on top of that we got to pay to play a rpg online is kinda sad really
x-2tha-z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#12 x-2tha-z
Member since 2003 • 8994 Posts

I think we are being ripped off. It's obvious when you download new maps, cars, expansion packs etc and the download is tiny that something isn't right.

The content is probably on the disc. The download you just bought probably acts as the key that unlocks it.

GEARSofWAR360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 GEARSofWAR360
Member since 2006 • 1405 Posts
hell ya its retarded its not like it costs them anything to make it
_Xeauz_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#14 _Xeauz_
Member since 2006 • 130 Posts
It's business. Don't like it, don't buy it. Kuruption84
I hate to say it but Kuruptions got a point, at the end of the day I'm pretty sure Microsoft don't care about whoever thinks this is bad, aslong as you have a Xbox 360 and you continue to spend money on it they're happy. I wish it wasn't that way though, it is a bit anoying and off putting when every single little thing down to a gamer picture cost money
TheBigTicket21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#15 TheBigTicket21
Member since 2004 • 30875 Posts
especially when we subscribe to xbox live
OfficialBed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 OfficialBed
Member since 2005 • 17668 Posts

It's business. Don't like it, don't buy it. Kuruption84

exactly!

x-2tha-z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#17 x-2tha-z
Member since 2003 • 8994 Posts

[QUOTE="Kuruption84"]It's business. Don't like it, don't buy it. _Xeauz_

I hate to say it but Kuruptions got a point, at the end of the day I'm pretty sure Microsoft don't care about whoever thinks this is bad, aslong as you have a Xbox 360 and you continue to spend money on it they're happy. I wish it wasn't that way though, it is a bit anoying and off putting when every single little thing down to a gamer picture cost money

It isn't always as simple as that though. I wanted to play a bit of GRAW the other night but I got refused from every room because I don't have the "Chapter two" expansion pack. This makes the purchase necessary if I want to play GRAW online.

death1505921

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 death1505921
Member since 2004 • 5260 Posts
MS, are theiving bastards. They charge us to use the online, then put ads on aswell so they make money, and then charge us for content companies want free. QTF?
The_Holydevil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 The_Holydevil
Member since 2007 • 62 Posts

[QUOTE="Kuruption84"]It's business. Don't like it, don't buy it. OfficialBed

exactly!

that is a kind off close minded remark. yes its business. but there will be no business if most xbox users have switched to pc, or Playstation or Nintendo because they are fed up or payin for stuff. one example. i dont mind paying 2400 points for shivering isles becuase it was a full expansion and that is about what pc userws had to pay. what i didnt like so much (although i still bought it) was the horse armour, wizards tower, mehrunes dagger, knights of the nine plugins that i beleive were free for pc users. this is what the problem is. because if Bethesda gave it to pc users for free, im sure they would have given xbox users it for free too, but microsoft wouldnt let them.
kyle_1865

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#20 kyle_1865
Member since 2005 • 1025 Posts

In April's Game Informer News, they had an article called, ""The Content Microsoft Doesn't Want You to Have" on page 32. It talks about the publishers wanting to put out "free" downloadable content but Microsoft isn't letting them. According to the article Microsoft is placing prices on content that the companies wanted to give us for free, because "Microsoft wanting to make gamers accustomed to paying money for goods above and beyond wallpapers."

I almost wrote this off as an April Fools joke or something like that until I remembered an interview that Ben Ward of Bizarre Creations (Geometry Wars: Retro Evolved) had with IGN UK.

I think that maybe we should do some kind of petition, so this problem is brought up to Microsoft just to let them know that, as customers, we don't like being "nickel and dime" for content that game companies want to give us free.

Does anyone have any ideas about this? I think this is more legit then petitioning Capcom over Devil May Cry having a multiplatform release. I want to gauge everyone about this idea, and perhaps someone noticed this too.

IGN UK interview: http://uk.xbox360.ign.com/articles/772/772651p2.html

thomasonfa
In the words of arnold, "STP WHINING!!" if you dont want the content then dont buy the content, its a business and businesses sell stuff, get over it
slidet22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#21 slidet22
Member since 2006 • 887 Posts
No - nobody is forcing you to buy downloadable content. I don't care how cool the downloadable pack is, no one put a gun to your head saying that you must download it.
kyle_1865

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 kyle_1865
Member since 2005 • 1025 Posts
MS, are theiving bastards. They charge us to use the online, then put ads on aswell so they make money, and then charge us for content companies want free. QTF?death1505921
if you dont like live then dont use it! Holy crap people, get over it, just get a job so you can pay for the stuff, there a damn business, there not out to get you, there just trying to stay on top and its up 2 us to keep em there. i dont mind paying for extra content. with satelitte tv, you pay for the extra channels and dont complain, why should this be any different?? think about it
LI_EXiLe_IL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 LI_EXiLe_IL
Member since 2006 • 65 Posts

yeah i read the same article in gameinformer and i was just pissed because that means that certain games and downloadable content that i have downloaded could have been freed i mean i cANT BELIEVE PEOPLE ARE SAYING THEY ARE FINE WITH GETTING THEIR MONEY MILKED FROM THEM SLOWLY its ridiculouse i know its not expensive but if we are being charged for things that could be free then we are losing money... PETITION!

dunit13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 dunit13
Member since 2006 • 1103 Posts
Well I think its alright that they price things it costs money to develop, publish, provide, and host the content so there should be a small price. Just be glad promotional stuff is free I guess.
slidet22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 slidet22

First of all - it's a business, they're going to try to continue to turn a profit.

Second, this isn't a higher tax that their placing on food - a necessity of life. This content is typically an add-on to a game you already have. NO ONE is forcing you to buy it.

Finally, what kind of petition are you going to organize here? Are you going to get 14 people from a message board to write a nasty letter to the multi-billion dollar Microsoft corporation? The only petition that have a slight chance of working is if you got a SIGNIFICANT portion of the population to STOP buying the content...good luck with that...oh, and there are more important battles to fight out there...like that whole homeless thing - or the world hunger thing that seems to bother some. 

death1505921

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 death1505921
I honoustly wouldn't care, if the devs didnt mind putting a price on stuff. But it's because MS is forcing them too. That's what pisses me off.
dstars44b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 dstars44b
Member since 2003 • 172 Posts

First of all - it's a business, they're going to try to continue to turn a profit.

Second, this isn't a higher tax that their placing on food - a necessity of life. This content is typically an add-on to a game you already have. NO ONE is forcing you to buy it.

Finally, what kind of petition are you going to organize here? Are you going to get 14 people from a message board to write a nasty letter to the multi-billion dollar Microsoft corporation? The only petition that have a slight chance of working is if you got a SIGNIFICANT portion of the population to STOP buying the content...good luck with that...oh, and there are more important battles to fight out there...like that whole homeless thing - or the world hunger thing that seems to bother some. 

slidet22

i couldnt agree with you more, MS is a buissness and their out there to make money.

if you dont like it, dont buy it. get an efing job so ou can afford a simple $40-$50 a year, which is nothing.

the extra content is like pocket change for me, it really isnt that much.

idol46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 idol46
Member since 2004 • 155 Posts

It's only a few dollars anyway and it's not like you can't play game unless you download this content.

It's business. If you don't like it, just don't download it.

DrewBlood08

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 DrewBlood08
Member since 2007 • 413 Posts
I don't mind paying for content if a software developer put the time in to it and wants to charge.  What gets me about this article is that if you are charging me for something the maker wanted me to have for free, now thats a problem.  Not to mention their point system which is also mentioned in game informer as well.  Where you buy five dollars worth of points and nothing costs exactly that so you are left over with points.  So either they get your money for free or you are forced to buy more points to get something cuz you had some left over but not enough.  The article compares it to a carnival, you buy 20 tickets for whatever amount of money and you want two sodas which cost 9 tickets each.  What do you do with the two extra, buy more or lose your money...
rav44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 rav44
Member since 2007 • 1339 Posts
i would be okay with it if we didn't have to pay for gold because nintendo and sony are free!
death1505921

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 death1505921
I don't mind paying for content if a software developer put the time in to it and wants to charge. What gets me about this article is that if you are charging me for something the maker wanted me to have for free, now thats a problem. Not to mention their point system which is also mentioned in game informer as well. Where you buy five dollars worth of points and nothing costs exactly that so you are left over with points. So either they get your money for free or you are forced to buy more points to get something cuz you had some left over but not enough. The article compares it to a carnival, you buy 20 tickets for whatever amount of money and you want two sodas which cost 9 tickets each. What do you do with the two extra, buy more or lose your money...DrewBlood08
Yeah, it should be you pay directly for them. LIke $5 a game ect. And yeah, it does suck for a 15 year old. Sicne i can't get a credit card i have to buy 2100 points. Which is alot considering it's £20 here in the UK. A full months paper rounds earnings. (It's all i get a month).
Avatar image for II-FBIsniper-II
II-FBIsniper-II

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#32 II-FBIsniper-II
Member since 2005 • 18067 Posts

gears content is free, and supposedly GHII content will be free. So idk about that article's arguement. it sounds plausible, but really i don't mind paying, its not like its that expensive.

i just read that IGN article and i must say that is intruiging that MS made them do that. 

butkis689
The Gears maps were free because Future Weapons/Discovery Channel sposored it.
Zigmond1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#33 Zigmond1
Member since 2005 • 334 Posts

it should be free we're already paying for live and we already shelled out the money to buy the new xbox so why do we have to pay more for these downloads. I know people are saying no one is forcing you but its stupid I still have all these useless themes i thought would be cool but aren't(like the prey one) at least make the themes or gamer pics free. Really the only things that make sense to pay for are arcade games and actual expansions(shivering isles) not useless ones that you got because they were the only one out(horse armor).

death1505921

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 death1505921

the extra content is like pocket change for me, it really isnt that much.

BTW, nobody here gives a crap about what you're earning. Some of us are younger/ less fortunate.
death1505921

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 death1505921

it should be free we're already paying for live and we already shelled out the money to buy the new xbox so why do we have to pay more for these downloads. I know people are saying no one is forcing you but its stupid I still have all these useless themes i thought would be cool but aren't(like the prey one) at least make the themes or gamer pics free. Really the only things that make sense to pay for are arcade games and actual expansions(shivering isles) not useless ones that you got because they were the only one out(horse armor).

Zigmond1
Agreed, real expansions and arcade games fair enough.
Slipin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Slipin
Member since 2004 • 989 Posts
It may not be expensive now, but think about next gen, I would have never even thought about buying wallpapers and themes last gen...
Santas_Hitman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Santas_Hitman
Member since 2004 • 1003 Posts
Sure a business is a business, but giving away free stuff has always been a great marketing strategy (that has been around for ages). Microsoft can use what ever excuse it wants, but in the end we all know they are just being greedy. Besides we already pay their server costs, so they can't argue that they are loosing money by hosting free files.
Flow4U

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Flow4U
Member since 2007 • 1529 Posts
I know it sux but we are helping MS, I think
CaUs3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 CaUs3
Member since 2006 • 2903 Posts
up to the company of the game
Rogerwaterz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Rogerwaterz
Member since 2005 • 39 Posts
I ove my 360, but it has its flaws.  One of them is paying for downloadable content.  I don't think usrs should have to pay for additional content after purchasing the game.  They should allow free downloadable content for games you have purchased, or at least allow an allotment of MS points for free, included with a years subscription to Xbox Live Gold.  This way gamrs could at least choose a few downloads they want to tack onto their games.  I play online alot, why not reward us, Microsoft?  Its called giving back to the community.  IF ANYONE FROM MICROSOFT IS READING THESE FORUMS, PLEASE CONSIDER THIS IDEA.  IT COULD GIVE THE 360 A BETTER EDGE ON THE PS3.
slidet22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 slidet22

I'm sorry, I'm just failing to see the point here where I think this is an issue that seriously needs to be addressed. For my first three reasons, read my post above.

Fourthly, you're now asking for content for free. You're asking for someone to simply hand something over to you for no cost. The additional content is something that people put in time and work on. They're trying to turn a profit. Why would someone just give it to you for free? This isn't some noble volunteering opportunity. If I'm going to give something away for free, it's going to be something that someone NEEDS - like help providing food, clothes, or any other number of charitable things.  

Fifth - I'm not buying the "some of us are just less fortunate." The fact that you own a 360 and have internet access right now tells me that you're at least doing well enough to buy those things instead of the necessities in life.

Look, I'm not suggesting that Microsoft isn't turning a huge profit here. I'm suggesting that if this is what we have to complain about, maybe we should appreciate everything we've got cuz it can't be too bad. 

SpeedFreak21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 SpeedFreak21
Member since 2005 • 32 Posts
 This is way gay that MS is pricing dl content when game developers are telling people that the content is free and will be. MS is a bunch of Rich **** that are greedy as hell. NOT EVERYBODY HAS THE MONEY TO PAY FOR ALLLL THE DL CONTENT THAT XBOX LIVE HAS. And for the people that says "OMFG gtfo and stop QQ" shut up u **** some games require u to dl the content inorder 2 play online for instance Cod 3, Graw, BF2, and several more. You wont b able 2 play online with other people because u DONT HAVE THE CONTENT. I think people in general should fight for this issue. MS priced there system at a WAYYY high price. I do admit i payed the price but it will b the last system i ever buy. PS3 OMFG 800 bucks.. wow  talk about lamezoz. But ya Dl content is a Great feature 2 xbox live but it is a little retarded that people actually have 2 pay the price that MS decides. If a game producer tells The people that it will b free it should b up 2 them, not MS.
sameiamcramram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 sameiamcramram
Member since 2005 • 120 Posts
Who doesnt want free ****?
death1505921

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 death1505921

I'm sorry, I'm just failing to see the point here where I think this is an issue that seriously needs to be addressed. For my first three reasons, read my post above.

Fourthly, you're now asking for content for free. You're asking for someone to simply hand something over to you for no cost. The additional content is something that people put in time and work on. They're trying to turn a profit. Why would someone just give it to you for free? This isn't some noble volunteering opportunity. If I'm going to give something away for free, it's going to be something that someone NEEDS - like help providing food, clothes, or any other number of charitable things.

Fifth - I'm not buying the "some of us are just less fortunate." The fact that you own a 360 and have internet access right now tells me that you're at least doing well enough to buy those things instead of the necessities in life.

Look, I'm not suggesting that Microsoft isn't turning a huge profit here. I'm suggesting that if this is what we have to complain about, maybe we should appreciate everything we've got cuz it can't be too bad.

slidet22
You didn't even read the post did you? The DEVELOPERS make the content, and they want to give it to us free, to reward us for buying their game. But MICROSOFT charges us so they get a clean cut for doing next to no work. No come back when you've learnt to read. And to you're last comment, I'm a kid, I get christmas presents. Christmas was only 3 months ago. Duh. Sorry if i come across pissy, but it F*s me off when people come up with arguements when it appears they havn't even read the article.
slidet22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 slidet22
[QUOTE="slidet22"]

death1505921

You didn't even read the post did you? The DEVELOPERS make the content, and they want to give it to us free, to reward us for buying their game. But MICROSOFT charges us so they get a clean cut for doing next to no work. No come back when you've learnt to read. And to you're last comment, I'm a kid, I get christmas presents. Christmas was only 3 months ago. Duh. Sorry if i come across pissy, but it F*s me off when people come up with arguements when it appears they havn't even read the article.

Yes I read it - sorry the DEVELOPERS not Microsoft - that doesn't make my point any less valid. You're all angry because you ahve to pay a few bucks for extra gaming content that developers put time into making. So, you're wanting something for nothing. I think it would be great if some was put up for free. If someone wants to give that out, that's fine. When we don't get something for nothing though, it doesn't mean we're somehow picked upon. The point is, you're well off.

Visit the aftermath of hurricane Kitrina. I'm sorry, but once you wade around the wreckage there for any amount of time and you hear kids just whining about having to pay $5 for video game content, it triggers a pretty big nerve. 

death1505921

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 death1505921

If you re-read my other arguments i clearly said, I wouldn't be bugged if the devs wanted to charge us. It's because MS is imposing a charge on somthing they have little right to do so. They put no effort into making said patch/maps ect. So why should they have the right to decide the price? And i'm putting too much on price, it's the principle aswell.   

And like I said, just because my family are well off, doesn't mean I am. I donated before you go all fundamentalist on me, I'm doing geography GSCE, so me and all my class mates got a pack together with basic essentials like old cloths ect, and sent it to some charity along with a £1 each. The same went for thailand. SImply because we were studying it at the time, and I'm not an ass like you think i am.

spyman333

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 spyman333
Member since 2003 • 302 Posts
60 dollars is a lot for a game. it would be nice to put out 1 or 2 pieces of free content and then charge for another piece of content
Zigmond1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Zigmond1
Member since 2005 • 334 Posts
i dont know how to quote ppl but to the guy who said "who cares at least were supporting microsoft" why would you want to support them doesnt that piss you off more that you know thats were youre moneys going?
limpbizkit818

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 limpbizkit818
Member since 2004 • 15044 Posts
MS, are theiving bastards. They charge us to use the online, then put ads on aswell so they make money, and then charge us for content companies want free. QTF?death1505921
Only ads I see is for marketplace content. What do you see?