Is Microsoft doing a better job with its first party this generation?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

User Lists: 0

Poll Is Microsoft doing a better job with its first party this generation? (34 votes)

Yes 56%
No 21%
Yes, but they still have a long way to go 24%

Okay, so Microsoft has always traditionally had the weakest third party- until now, they haven't exactly needed to develop one outside of a few flagship system sellers, if only because they have always had the full support of third party developers and publishers as the lead system that they develop for.

At least, until this generation.

A lot like Nintendo with the Nintendo 64 and Sony with the PlayStation 3, Microsoft are currently undergoing a crisis of third party support- theirs is not as bad as Nintendo's (where they lost most third party support period to PlayStation) or even PlayStation 3 (where they lost most exclusives to Xbox 360), but rather, just a crisis of third parties not automatically gravitating to the Xbox platform- their system is lower selling than the competition, it is weaker than the competition, undermining the strengths of the Xbox 360 and original Xbox respectively. Why should third parties bother?

Without the third party support and brand synergy, it is up to Microsoft themselves to sell their system this generation, and I think so far, they have done a good job with their first party support, bringing back loads of older new IPs, investing in new IPs, and continuing supporting their most successful franchises.

FIRST PARTY GAMES (RELEASED OR ANNOUNCED) FOR XBOX ONE THIS GENERATION INCLUDE:

Forza Motorsport 5, Killer Instinct, Minecraft, Forza Horizon 2, Halo: The Master Chief Collection, D4: Dark Dreams Don't Die, Ori and the Blind Forest, Zoo Tycoon, Rare Replay, Gears of War: Ultimate Edition, Forza Motorsport 6, Halo 5: Guardians, Fable Legends, Re:Core, Scalebound, Crackdown 3, The Phantom Dust, Quantum Break, Halo Wars 2, Sea of Thieves, Gears of War 4

Within that list, we see a good mix of traditional franchises, new IPs, older franchise revivals, western blockbuster hits, Japanese games, smaller, experimental titles, and traditional AAA support.

I think they are doing a great job so far, especially compared to where they were just a few years ago, but what do you think? Has Microsoft started to take first party investment more seriously?

• 
SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#1 SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

As I said in the other thread, time will tell.

They traditionally start strong in a generation and then taper off dramatically.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22376 Posts

@SolidTy said:

They traditionally start strong in a generation and then taper off dramatically.

Yeah this is my worry... that they are going to pump out all the good stuff early on and like you said, taper off. They really need to stay consistent throughout the generation, like PS.

Xisiuizado

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By Xisiuizado
Member since 2014 • 592 Posts

Wow, so much falseness in your post. I'll only address a little bit of this ridiculousness.

1) You're right that they are doing better with first party IP, however they have always had a good selection of titles they have created. Seriously, if people are going to count the 8-10 hour Mario games for Nintendo, then they need to count Microsoft's smaller titles as well. At this point, Microsoft has the best first party lineup in all of gaming, and it isn't close.2) The Xbox has as many third party games as any other home console. If not, I'd like to see a list of 3rd party games that are not on the Xbox. I'll assume that any list will be full of JRPGs and nothing else. Remember, second party titles, such as Sunset Overdrive and Bloodborne, are not third party titles as they are fully funded by the platform holder.

On a side note, I wish Microsoft would build teams to create sports titles outside of Forza. XBox already has the best Arcade-ish racer and Simcade racers on the console market with Horizon and Motorsport, so I want them to make NFL, NBA, MLB, NHL, etc. games with both sim and arcade builds. I've hoped that their NFL deal will allow them to make a first party NFL game, even if it is more in the style of Blitz than NFL 2K5. It's also too bad they didn't get Star Wars. While exclusives stink for consumers, they do allow development teams to truly realize a game's potential.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#4 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38036 Posts

@hrt_rulz01 said:
@SolidTy said:

Yeah this is my worry... that they are going to pump out all the good stuff early on and like you said, taper off. They really need to stay consistent throughout the generation, like PS.

I'm not that worried about that this gen because they will be chasing all gen. Last gen they were chasing Wii, but the rivalry wasn't with Nintendo as it is with Sony.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 SolidTy

@xisiuizado: Just out of curiosity, you do know that there is a 150 game gap between the Xbone and PS4, right?

garfield360uk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#6  Edited By garfield360uk
Member since 2006 • 20381 Posts

Guys, this is not System Wars, do not treat it as such.

Xisiuizado

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Xisiuizado

@SolidTy said:

@xisiuizado: Just out of curiosity, you do know that there is a 150 game gap between the Xbone and PS4, right?

@Garfield360UK said:

Guys, this is not System Wars, do not treat it as such.

Crud, I didn't even think about that Garfield, thus this'll be my last post on the subject.

To SolidTy: Quantity <> quality. Additionally, I was referring to the topic of exclusives, not overall games total. Frankly, unless a person has an inordinate amount of time to play games, both systems have more games to play than anyone could reasonably complete. Happy Gaming! :)

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22376 Posts

@cainetao11 said:
@hrt_rulz01 said:
@SolidTy said:

I'm not that worried about that this gen because they will be chasing all gen. Last gen they were chasing Wii, but the rivalry wasn't with Nintendo as it is with Sony.

Yeah that's a good point... trying to play catch up all gen will force them to keep churning out decent games.

doubalfa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 29

#9 doubalfa
Member since 2006 • 7108 Posts

not to undermine any other console, but like someone pointed out, most of the 3rd party gamesn ot present on Xbox aren't as big or game changers, although I'm kind of surprised how much integration there is between PC and Xbox, it kind of feels that owning and Xbox is kind of pointless if you can get most games on PC

rgsniper1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 rgsniper1
Member since 2003 • 9398 Posts

Having both, I prefer the XBox and do think it has a better line up.

Alucard_Prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#12 Alucard_Prime
Member since 2008 • 10107 Posts

I think they're doing great with Xbox One first party, but I also felt that with the 360 last Gen as well, even near the end of the Gen.

I've always been a "1 console per generation" kind of gamer. I've owned all kinds of consoles from Sega to Nintendo to Sony and now Xbox. Bottom line is I buy these consoles to play console videogames, I dont always pay attention to the ratio of 1st party /3rd party, my main concern is having great games to play.....when I bought my Xbox One, I had a huge backlog on 360 still, and now I have a huge backlog on the XboxOne, so it's business as usual for me.

Regarding the 1st party though, what I would like to see from them is more story driven, maybe horror type games . They seem to be on that track with games like Quantum Break and the timed exclusive TR, but I would like to see more, despite the fact that my bread and butter are community driven games like Halo and Forza, more variety would be appreciated.

Avatar image for vampiriclunatic
VampiricLunatic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#13  Edited By VampiricLunatic
Member since 2015 • 72 Posts

At the moment, they're doing a good job.

oflow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#14 oflow
Member since 2003 • 5185 Posts

@xisiuizado: i have heard rumors that there is a new NFL2K in the works which could possibly be MS exclusive. Madden is in the last year of their contract so we shall see. that would be a HUGE win for MS and could easily title the sales back in their favor. Most football game fans generally acknowledge that NFL2k5 is the best football game of all time.

the thing with sports games based off the leagues is they have licensing dea's so you cant just make a fame and use the logos etc if they already have deals with other companies and right now EA has everything except baseball and soccer sewn up.

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#16  Edited By Jaysonguy
Member since 2006 • 39454 Posts

@oflow said:

Most football game fans generally acknowledge that NFL2k5 is the best football game of all time.

No they don't lol

Whiny kids who didn't know the sport said it was best.

EA will get the NFL license again due to two words, John Madden. Or for 2K fans "the guy who makes those other games, what do you mean he was in the NFL?"

Megavideogamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#17  Edited By Megavideogamer
Member since 2004 • 6554 Posts

Yes it seems Microsoft has finally remembered that the Xbox brand needs strong first party support in addition to third party support. MS is more focused on games as of late. Which is good to see.

Xisiuizado

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Xisiuizado

@oflow: With Microsoft's current NFL deal going, I could see it as a possibility. It'd be nice to have some NFL competition. As for the best ever, that's debatable since it had some serious flaws, but it was definitely much better than Madden. It cost less too. :D

oflow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#19  Edited By oflow
Member since 2003 • 5185 Posts

@Jaysonguy: yeah they do. i actually used to play madden competitively til around 2007 or so and most people i would meet at tournaments always named 2k5 as their favorite football game.

you do know john madden retired years ago and is like the equivalent of saying betty crocker when making a cake right?

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#20 Jaysonguy
Member since 2006 • 39454 Posts

@oflow said:

@Jaysonguy: yeah they do. i actually used to play madden competitively til around 2007 or so and most people i would meet at tournaments always named 2k5 as their favorite football game.

you do know john madden retired years ago and is like the equivalent of saying betty crocker when making a cake right?

So you're saying Madden is one of the most known brands on the planet?

Now you're on my side? Or are you just having trouble with this conversation?

Megane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#21 Megane
Member since 2015 • 685 Posts

No, the 360 had the first Gears after a year and Halo 3 in it's second year, the Xbone has been out for two years and still only has ports of Gears and Halo until October.

tendoboy1984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 tendoboy1984
Member since 2012 • 253 Posts

"it is weaker than the competition"

That didn't stop PS2 from getting way more third party support than the original Xbox. Xbox was far more powerful yet PS2 got all the developer support and sales.

tendoboy1984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 tendoboy1984
Member since 2012 • 253 Posts

@xisiuizado: "While exclusives stink for consumers,"

But first party games are always exclusive. Without those there would no point in buying multiple consoles. You can't expect Nintendo, Sony, and Microsoft to make games for each other's systems because that would undermine their attempts to sell hardware.

Xisiuizado

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Xisiuizado

@tendoboy1984:
I don't expect it, I just said it's bad for consumers.

Note: The exception is if a game wouldn't exist if it were not for the extra profitability exclusivity brings. In such cases, as in Bayonetta 2, it does benefit consumers.

xhawk27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By xhawk27
Member since 2010 • 12183 Posts

@SolidTy said:

Still it's doing better than Sony right now. Phil is going to push for more first party exclusives and he will continue that. Sony is the one having money problems.

xhawk27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By xhawk27

@megane said:

No, the 360 had the first Gears after a year and Halo 3 in it's second year, the Xbone has been out for two years and still only has ports of Gears and Halo until October.

Did you forget Sunset Overdrive, D4, Forza games.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By SolidTy

@xhawk27 said:
@SolidTy said:

Still it's doing better than Sony right now. Phil is going to push for more first party exclusives and he will continue that. Sony is the one having money problems.

This is a thread necro topic. My post was is from 1 month, 6 days ago.

Also, why are you in the Xbox forums discussing and provoking other gaming console companies (in this case you brought up Sony twice for some odd reason).

I never brought up any other companies in my accurate post from one month ago.

Nothing you posted changes my post. One company starts slower (due to supporting their older consoles longer) and the other company drops exclusive support for their older console quicker which means they start stronger 1st party support for the newer console at the cost of leaving behind the previous console exclusive support.

As I already said over a month ago in this old thread,

"As I said in the other thread, time will tell.

They traditionally start strong in a generation and then taper off dramatically."

Your post didn't change anything I said at all. Your post was a strawman assertion fallacy laced with inaccuracies.

I could easily respond to your post with more corrections (like the 200 game library gap between machines) but I realize that responding to your strange console wars fixation would be against the Xbox board rules. This isn't System Wars, it's the Xbox board.

I spoke about Xbox. You are speaking about other non-Xbox companies in an effort to incite flaming wars.

xhawk27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 xhawk27

@SolidTy: Oh I didn't even see that.

Oh like you don't do that. I've seen you in here discussing Sony.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 SolidTy

@xhawk27 said:

@SolidTy: Oh I didn't even see that.

Oh like you don't do that. I've seen you in here discussing Sony.

No, I don't. It's you that does that and you just proved it again today. I stay on topic. If the topic is asking for a comparison between Nintendo, PC, Playstation or whatever, then I'll discuss that (this topic didn't ask that). I don't go off topic as you blatantly and randomly as you did quoting users and instead of responding to their post, bringing up off topic points that aren't relevant to the discussion. The title of the thread tells you what the discussion is about. BTW: You don't need to deflect or go off topic. It's usually someone like you (or it was you in the past) that quotes me and goes off topic that cause this issue. It puts me in a bind because while I have answers, I don't think it's appropriate to discuss them in the wrong thread. This topic isn't making a comparison between brands, it's simply asking about the Xbox 1st party. It was just your random post that brought up other companies, strangely I might add, and completely out of the blue.

This topic is asking what you think of he Xbox 1st party this generation. Feel free to answer. If you want to quote someone, keep in mind you are on the Xbox board...especially when you quote me.

Also, resorting to ad hominem fallacy by slinging an accusation doesn't fly either, especially when I we both know your longtime situation. What matters is what's happening right now. You quoted me as if I run the Xbox or Playstation companies. I don't own them. I can't change the path of either company or Nintendo for that matter. I simply can observe and report.

Bottomline, I am not able to engage your offtopic post.

Your post had no effect on my post which makes me wonder why you bothered to quote me in the first place.

"As I said in the other thread, time will tell.

They traditionally start strong in a generation and then taper off dramatically."

Basically you quoted my old post and then went off topic. If you can't stay on topic, maybe this isn't the right board to discuss whatever it is you want to discuss.

I have the answers to your post as they are easy to answer, but I'm not going to post the answers on this board. Feel free to PM if you want to know off topic answers to your off topic questions.

garfield360uk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#30 garfield360uk
Member since 2006 • 20381 Posts

Lets cool it people. Talk of other consoles is not prohibited on this board.

Thank you.