Is Bioshock appropriate for me?

• 84 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

hachiman128

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 hachiman128
Member since 2007 • 779 Posts
OK, here's the deal. I'm a perfectly normal kid. I have a 4.4 GPA and I'm graduating high school this year at 16. I do play video games a little too much, but I'm not like an addict. There's nothing wrong with me mentally; I'm not crazy, I don't have dark thoughts or any desire to injure anyone. I want to buy Bioshock. However, my mom has decided based on the Bioshock demo that I'm not allowed to play Bioshock under her roof. As far as I know, I'm the only person I know who has limits on video games at my age/maturity level. One of my best friends is allowed to get whatever games she wants, and I'm not even allowed to go to her house just because of my gender. Another perfectly normal kid from one of my three AP classes is buying Bioshock on Tuesday. Should I be allowed to buy Bioshock?
Spyderfan1212

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#2 Spyderfan1212
Member since 2005 • 1588 Posts

:lol:

Your mom needs to chill. Is she going to protect you when you leave the house? Is she going to go on your honeymoon to make sure you still practice safe sex? The worlds violent. Playing a video game at your age will not turn you into a mass murderer. While Mass Murderers may play video games is is NOT the reason they are mass murderers.

RPhilMan1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 RPhilMan1
Member since 2004 • 237 Posts

It's hard to tell if it is appropriate for you just from a forum. But from the sound of your post and the level of your intelligence, it seems like you can handle the game. Now, the problem is that your mother said you cannot play the game. So even if it is appropriate for you, what will you do?

Also, good job on the GPA. You seem to have a promising future. Just don't waste it away. Jump right into college or get a job in the mean time.

metalhead164

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#4 metalhead164
Member since 2007 • 136 Posts

The ESRB is stupid they ruin it for everyone. Yes you should play.

ROCK ON!!!!

jet2892

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#5 jet2892
Member since 2004 • 2832 Posts

Your mom does need to chill and really since you're 16 your mom shouldnt care what games you play

zidan4000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#6 zidan4000
Member since 2006 • 3167 Posts
tell your mom its just a game , and you are gonna play and throw like nothing happend , try to not talk about games in front of her , try doing some cleaning and cooking job by yourself (i recommend cooking pasta as a start:D) , show her that you are a mature inside , dont play a lot in front of her , show yourself as a peacful guy and you hate war and you wish peace to world , hope that will work.
hachiman128

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 hachiman128

The ESRB is stupid they ruin it for everyone. Yes you should play.

ROCK ON!!!!

metalhead164

It's not the M, it's Bioshock's gory and creepy nature. But I know how creepy it is, I don't view it as "just a bit of a blood" or anything. I just think I can handle it.

And thanks to everyone who has posted so far. It helps knowing that I'm not the only one who disagrees with my parents.

arab_prince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#8 arab_prince
Member since 2005 • 4089 Posts
Tell her that she should trust that playing a video game wont ruin youre brain. If anything, its the boys that are too protected by their mothers that become murderers..no offense :wink: but yeah, try to talk with her to let you play, you should be allowed. :) Goodluck
Spyderfan1212

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#9 Spyderfan1212
Member since 2005 • 1588 Posts
Does your mom think it will be that terrifying your mind will shatter?!?!?! Its a game, hopefully it takes alot more to break someone then Bioshock. God, its like hearing those 17 year olds had to get counseling after seeing Hannibal. I watched it when I was like 12 or 13 and it didn't phase me.
Avatar image for ColoradoKindBud
ColoradoKindBud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 ColoradoKindBud
Member since 2005 • 23882 Posts

I'm in no way trying to insult or piss you off, so don't take this the wrong way. What I infer from the fact that you told us your GPA & that you are graduating at 16 is that you are trying to say that you are a very smart person. A very smart person would know that booksmarts/grades have nothing to do with a person's maturity level. So there's no way we could possibly know if you arre mature enough for this game.

The only reason I put it to you like this is because I have a little brother who is a prodigy. He graduated forom High School at 14, has taught himself Japanese & several instruments with no lessons/instruction of any kind. So although he's very smart,he's not mature by any stretch of the imagination & I won't let him near Bioshock.

tkemory

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#11 tkemory
Member since 2002 • 2191 Posts

I will give you this, at least your mom watched the demo before she made up her mind.

I think you should be able to play it, but some parents want their kids to be more sheltered. Just find a friend that has it and go play there :).

damedude123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 damedude123
Member since 2006 • 765 Posts
im 15, 16 in october, i was always saying im old enough to do my own things, but now that me and my girlfriend had a child last november, all my perspectives have change, and i know do everything possible to be responsible. lol
KurupSoldr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#13 KurupSoldr
Member since 2006 • 4094 Posts
ummmm dont ever think you should tell someone how they should raise their kids so we will not tak about mom, but you sound mature enough for it, have you seen any of the saw movies or played gears of war those are both pretty bloody games if yes then point that out to her, but in the end i believe if you work hard you should be able to play hard too
arab_prince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 arab_prince

im 15, 16 in october, i was always saying im old enough to do my own things, but now that me and my girlfriend had a child last november, all my perspectives have change, and i know do everything possible to be responsible. loldamedude123

...ohy vay :|

hachiman128

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 hachiman128

I'm in no way trying to insult or piss you off, so don't take this the wrong way. What I infer from the fact that you told us your GPA & that you are graduating at 16 is that you are trying to say that you are a very smart person. A very smart person would know that booksmarts/grades have nothing to do with a person's maturity level. So there's no way we could possibly know if you arre mature enough for this game.

The only reason I put it to you like this is because I have a little brother who is a prodigy. He graduated forom High School at 14, has taught himself Japanese & several instruments with no lessons/instruction of any kind. So although he's very smart,he's not mature by any stretch of the imagination & I won't let him near Bioshock.

ColoradoKindBud

Of course GPA isn't the best indicator of maturity. However, it's the best one I can think of for use on the internet. I don't really know how to prove maturity over the internet (it's a lot easier to prove immaturity online lol), but I thought it'd help to show everyone that I'm mature enough to know what's important.

wolverine4262

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 wolverine4262
Member since 2004 • 20832 Posts
How the hell do you get a GPA above 4.0?! NEWAY, Im alot like you... Im 16, my GPAs around 3.8, and Im in all the college classes, but Ive never had any prob with getting games... My parents dont care... Maybe you should show your mom some stuff about how the game has an extremely amazing story.... The ign review video goes into how the plot is comparable to some of the best books ever written...
Novastorm-360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Novastorm-360
Member since 2007 • 99 Posts
down with censorship
hachiman128

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 hachiman128

ummmm dont ever think you should tell someone how they should raise their kids so we will not tak about mom, but you sound mature enough for it, have you seen any of the saw movies or played gears of war those are both pretty bloody games if yes then point that out to her, but in the end i believe if you work hard you should be able to play hard tooKurupSoldr

I love playing Gears of War. That's the game I was talking about when I said I play a little too much. She won't let me see Saw, though.

Fifty_Pence

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#19 Fifty_Pence
Member since 2006 • 397 Posts

OK, here's the deal. I'm a perfectly normal kid. I have a 4.4 GPA and I'm graduating high school this year at 16. I do play video games a little too much, but I'm not like an addict. There's nothing wrong with me mentally; I'm not crazy, I don't have dark thoughts or any desire to injure anyone. I want to buy Bioshock. However, my mom has decided based on the Bioshock demo that I'm not allowed to play Bioshock under her roof. As far as I know, I'm the only person I know who has limits on video games at my age/maturity level. One of my best friends is allowed to get whatever games she wants, and I'm not even allowed to go to her house just because of my gender. Another perfectly normal kid from one of my three AP classes is buying Bioshock on Tuesday. Should I be allowed to buy Bioshock?hachiman128

Of course you should be able to. 16 and at you level of intellect i think you can handle it. But what be more fun is waiting until you're 17 buying of your own free will and telling your mom "**** you" because when youre 17 hey get whatever video games you want.

hachiman128

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 hachiman128

How the hell do you get a GPA above 4.0?! NEWAY, Im alot like you... Im 16, my GPAs around 3.8, and Im in all the college classes, but Ive never had any prob with getting games... My parents dont care... Maybe you should show your mom some stuff about how the game has an extremely amazing story.... The ign review video goes into how the plot is comparable to some of the best books ever written...wolverine4262

And my school bumps up the average for honors and AP classes (from which I currently have 21 hours of college credit, but that's not the point). My GPA before bumping it up is 3.93.

hachiman128

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 hachiman128

[QUOTE="hachiman128"]OK, here's the deal. I'm a perfectly normal kid. I have a 4.4 GPA and I'm graduating high school this year at 16. I do play video games a little too much, but I'm not like an addict. There's nothing wrong with me mentally; I'm not crazy, I don't have dark thoughts or any desire to injure anyone. I want to buy Bioshock. However, my mom has decided based on the Bioshock demo that I'm not allowed to play Bioshock under her roof. As far as I know, I'm the only person I know who has limits on video games at my age/maturity level. One of my best friends is allowed to get whatever games she wants, and I'm not even allowed to go to her house just because of my gender. Another perfectly normal kid from one of my three AP classes is buying Bioshock on Tuesday. Should I be allowed to buy Bioshock?Fifty_Pence

Of course you should be able to. 16 and at you level of intellect i think you can handle it. But what be more fun is waiting until you're 17 buying of your own free will and telling your mom "**** you" because when youre 17 hey get whatever video games you want.

The guy at Gamestop thought I was 17 and just let me preorder it. I can get it no matter what (I think), I just don't wanna go behind my mom's back because she'd get really ticked.

battlefront23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#23 battlefront23
Member since 2006 • 12625 Posts
First off, don't rebel against them just because they make this decision. I'm guessing that your parents are doing that to protect you and might think it will affect you. If they are doing it in a loving way then dont make too much of a fuss. I'm 15 (not as smart as you though obviously :P) and I am going to buy the game. I play games because that's my main hobby. I know that if I actually attempted this stuff from Bioshock or anything near it won't affect me because I understand that this violence in real life is wrong. Have you ever shown signs of violence or lack of self-control? If so, I'm not suprised your parents said you can't play it.
ColoradoKindBud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 ColoradoKindBud
[QUOTE="ColoradoKindBud"]

hachiman128

Of course GPA isn't the best indicator of maturity. However, it's the best one I can think of for use on the internet. I don't really know how to prove maturity over the internet (it's a lot easier to prove immaturity online lol), but I thought it'd help to show everyone that I'm mature enough to know what's important.

But how does proving to us how mature you are change your mother's decision in any way???

Ghost_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Ghost_Warrior
Member since 2003 • 9002 Posts
In the end its a parents decision and its good to see your parents are actually caring about what you play. I know it may suck, my parents used to not let me play M rated games but by 16 they felt I was mature enough to play them. If you're parent thinks your aren't mature enough for Bioshock then thats her decision, its not in our power to tell her otherwise. However, unless you have a mental condition, which you've already said you don't, you should have no reprocusions from playing the game. I guess the only way you could convince her otherwise is prove you are mature enough to play the game, it may take some time but it will be good in the long run.
Fifty_Pence

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Fifty_Pence
[QUOTE="Fifty_Pence"]

[QUOTE="hachiman128"]OK, here's the deal. I'm a perfectly normal kid. I have a 4.4 GPA and I'm graduating high school this year at 16. I do play video games a little too much, but I'm not like an addict. There's nothing wrong with me mentally; I'm not crazy, I don't have dark thoughts or any desire to injure anyone. I want to buy Bioshock. However, my mom has decided based on the Bioshock demo that I'm not allowed to play Bioshock under her roof. As far as I know, I'm the only person I know who has limits on video games at my age/maturity level. One of my best friends is allowed to get whatever games she wants, and I'm not even allowed to go to her house just because of my gender. Another perfectly normal kid from one of my three AP classes is buying Bioshock on Tuesday. Should I be allowed to buy Bioshock?hachiman128

The guy at Gamestop thought I was 17 and just let me preorder it. I can get it no matter what (I think), I just don't wanna go behind my mom's back because she'd get really ticked.

perhaps you could try the "YOU THINK I WONT ******* DO IT?!?!?!?!" approach with a knife held to your own throat perhaps? If she really loves you then she'll let you get it to keep you from killing yourself. But she prbly knows your not enough of an idiot to slit your own throat to get a video game bei ng as smart as you are.

hachiman128

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 hachiman128
[QUOTE="hachiman128"][QUOTE="ColoradoKindBud"]

ColoradoKindBud

But how does proving to us how mature you are change your mother's decision in any way???

I realize that the situation is hopeless and I probably won't play it until I'm college (it's not that far off anyway), but it makes me feel better knowing that 81% of people on here agree with me.

wolverine4262

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 wolverine4262
Member since 2004 • 20832 Posts

[QUOTE="wolverine4262"]How the hell do you get a GPA above 4.0?! NEWAY, Im alot like you... Im 16, my GPAs around 3.8, and Im in all the college classes, but Ive never had any prob with getting games... My parents dont care... Maybe you should show your mom some stuff about how the game has an extremely amazing story.... The ign review video goes into how the plot is comparable to some of the best books ever written...hachiman128

And my school bumps up the average for honors and AP classes (from which I currently have 21 hours of college credit, but that's not the point). My GPA before bumping it up is 3.93.

Thats a good idea... Im sick of all the kids taking the easy classes having a higher GPA than me...PLus, I havent started my college credits, yet...
damedude123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 damedude123

become a parent at 15 thats what i am, lol, i am only jokin, dont do it.

Trickshot771

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Trickshot771
Member since 2005 • 12686 Posts
Just buy and hide it from her. Your GPA is 4.4? I thought it only went to 4.0 in high school?
ColoradoKindBud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 ColoradoKindBud
[QUOTE="ColoradoKindBud"][QUOTE="hachiman128"][QUOTE="ColoradoKindBud"]

hachiman128

I realize that the situation is hopeless and I probably won't play it until I'm college (it's not that far off anyway), but it makes me feel better knowing that 81% of people on here agree with me.

Well, since it makes you feel better, then yes, you sound mature enough to play it IMO. At least your mom took the time to look at the demo & see what the content looked like instead of just saying "no" outright because it's rated M. Most parents wouldn't even take the time to do that.

Fifty_Pence

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Fifty_Pence

damedude123

Damn and i thought I had it bad just finding out TODAY from a paternity test that I have a 2 year old daughter.

hachiman128

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 hachiman128

damedude123

Haha, that'll prove my maturity. All I need is a girlfriend and nine months.

Just buy and hide it from her. Your GPA is 4.4? I thought it only went to 4.0 in high school?Trickshot771

It's bumped up from AP classes. It's 3.93 pre-bump.

Ghost_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Ghost_Warrior
Member since 2003 • 9002 Posts

Just buy and hide it from her. Your GPA is 4.4? I thought it only went to 4.0 in high school?Trickshot771

Some schools offer honors and AP classes which count 5 and 6 points instead of just 4. I think my school's valadictorian last year had a 5.016 GPA and the runner up had a 5.015 or something. Its pretty insane.

damedude123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 damedude123

fifty-pence, really? how old r u? im 16 in october, my daughter, sinead is 9 months old. best thing thats ever happened to me.

hope u feel the same.

hachiman128

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 hachiman128
[QUOTE="damedude123"]

hachiman128

Haha, that'll prove my maturity. All I need is a girlfriend and nine months.

It's bumped up from AP classes. It's 3.93 pre-bump.

Oh, and I'd have to make the purchase via debit card since I'm low on cash. She can see my purchases online.

omrikk87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#37 omrikk87
Member since 2005 • 1322 Posts
yes , i think so , the game isnt that "voilent" like bodies splashing\head poping out liks GEOW , its a good action game with sort of voilence but not that much ,and on the second thing , RENT the game dont buy it...
Fifty_Pence

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Fifty_Pence

really? how old r u? im 16 in october, my daughter, sinead is 9 months old. best thing thats ever happened to me.

hope u feel the same.

damedude123

I'm 21 and well I am VERY happy that I have a child. Least my little alexis is sooo adorable. it's weird because I've know her before this and she just called me "Mr. Stephen" but know I'm "daddy"

damedude123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 damedude123

lol, it was strange wen my girlfriends mum told me just afta she was born "ummm damien......ur a dad" i was in shock. lol.

but im still focusing on skool in the day, and my baby girl in the nite

Maskedboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Maskedboy
Member since 2007 • 379 Posts

lol, it was strange wen my girlfriends mum told me just afta she was born "ummm damien......ur a dad" i was in shock. lol.

damedude123

I wouldn't be able to handle that lol. I'd faint.

Trickshot771

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Trickshot771
Member since 2005 • 12686 Posts

damedude123

If I had a kid at 16 I certianly wouldn't be happy about it. I would think "that's it, my life is over".

damedude123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 damedude123
i almost lol. but we neva knew she was pregnant as it wasnt lying the right way in her stomach. but its been amazing now. but i hate them people who say teen pregnancy is sick, it was an accident. but i dont regret it. lol
kennykaos317

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#43 kennykaos317
Member since 2007 • 252 Posts

Personally, I think you would be fine to play this game. It's dangerous to shelter a child too much. You're only a couple of years away from being a legal adult. You're long past the years that a movie or videogame would make such a lasting impression on you. I think you're mom's beinga bit too strict.

Fifty_Pence

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Fifty_Pence

damedude123

Lol, this morning when i heard the tested results I fainted in my seat, then woke up 20 mins. later and started crying like a baby. Hahaha yeah. It went from shock to happy fast.

battlefront23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#45 battlefront23
Member since 2006 • 12625 Posts
[QUOTE="damedude123"]

Trickshot771

If I had a kid at 16 I certianly wouldn't be happy about it. I would think "that's it, my life is over".

your life is because then all you care about is there's.

00Raziel00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 00Raziel00
Member since 2007 • 1221 Posts
Been playing games since i was like 4 iv played alot of violent games and it hasn't changed me at all people say im the nicest kid they met. Games don't change people unless you let them. oh and your mum has problems =)
Maskedboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Maskedboy
Member since 2007 • 379 Posts
I think your mom needs to let you grow up.
jaminnbn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 jaminnbn
Member since 2006 • 299 Posts

graduating at 17? hm... anyway... you seem normal-ish... and as such you should most definatly get a friend who is 17 to buy it for you... then play when mommy isn't home... lol... thats what i do... i'm 16... my mom doesn't really care tho.. for me its more or less convincing the retailer to sell it to me... underage my @$$... i'm probably more intelligent than that whole store...

p.s. ... 4.6 semester gpa 4.5 cumulative... so... in your face...

arab_prince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 arab_prince
TC, dont buy this game and play it behind your mothers back. Trust me, she will find out eventually and you will be completely screwed. Trust me, just dont do it. Hopefully she'll get over it and let you get it, honesty is key.
StealthedRogue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 StealthedRogue
Member since 2006 • 1341 Posts
Well if you really do have a 4.4 GPA and you are graduating this year at age 16 she obviously has been doing something right with you. Better not start disobeying now.