Im considering buing the 360... but i need a really good reason.

• 64 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

TreyoftheDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#51 TreyoftheDead
Member since 2007 • 7982 Posts

I am also having trouble deciding, but rather than starting a new thread I decided to just post here.

I'm not too worried about how graphics look on an SDTV, as I am going to purchase a small 20 inch. HDTV whenever I purchase my system. The two leading factors at the moment are price and reliability. I can get an X-Box 360 Elite, an HDTV and a couple of games (probably Gears of War and Oblivion) for less than $1000. While a PS3, an HDTV and a couple of games would cost me over $1000 (though not by much). What's keeping me from setting my decision to purchase a 360 in stone is concern with it's reliability. The 360 problems sticky here really has me worried and very nervous about purchasing a 360. Have the problems been resolved with the Elite? Or will I be getting the dreaded three rings of death?

I'm not going to base my decision on what I'm told here, but I am interested in hearing a few of your thoughts.

ermacness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#52 ermacness
Member since 2005 • 10633 Posts

now im going 2 b totally honest with u. If u can only get 1 system, get the 360. As of right now it boast the superior online play, online options/choices/variety, and have more/better games out 4 it now. So if u can get only 1 system, get the 360, u'll b happy. Now if 4 some reason u have extra money 2 get a second system (saying if u got 600 dollars and over), the ps3 is far from a bad choice. While the ps3 online service isn't nearly as good as live, it's not unbearable (depending on how well u take 2 live). The psn is alot better than the ps2 online set-up by a mile and (to me) it's passable. Also while the game selection isn't as big as 360, there r very few games out there on the ps3 (resistance,motorstorm) thats actually pretty decent and f1 championship isn't a bad game either if u like f1 racing and while motorstorm is rather shallow compared 2 other racing games, that game is surprisingly fun and highly addictive online, and resistance is arguably 1 of the best shooters 4 as online multiplayer shooters goes. As far as graphics goes 4 those games, resistance doesn't dissapoint, and motorstorm is hailed, by alot of reviewers 2 be the best visual racing game 2 date, actually i haven't found a single professional review 2 call this game dull in the graphic department (not including readers reviews). So if u have enough money for 1 gaming console then go with the 360 , but if u have enough for another console and cann get up/or have 600 dollars or more 2 spare, go 4 the ps3 that's the best comination (ps360 FTW).

p.s. don't listen 2 these fanboys who bashes the ps3, while the ps3 isn't as good as the 360 right now, it is very far from a sorry system and shouldn't b underestimated if u can afford 1 with the 360 purchase 

RMage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53 RMage
Member since 2006 • 1176 Posts
Why should we give you reasons?  Like we care if you get one or not.  Since when does a person need to consult 50 people beofre making a purchase.
TreyoftheDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54 TreyoftheDead

Why should we give you reasons? Like we care if you get one or not. Since when does a person need to consult 50 people beofre making a purchase.RMage

No need for the harsh response, buddy. Purchasing a gaming console is a rather large investment for most people and you want to be sure on which one you want so you don't have regrets afterwards. I, like the TC, want to feel sure of my decision before I commit and buy. If you don't see a point in this thread, there is no need for you to comment in it.

snsr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 snsr
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts

"I am also having trouble deciding,

I'm not too worried about how graphics look on an SDTV, as I am going to purchase a small 20 inch. HDTV whenever I purchase my system."

I bought my 360 ~3 months ago on a whim. I had been itching to get back into some games, can't afford a dedicated gaming rig (I use a Thinkpad) and I sold my unsatisfying Wii. The 360 has turned out to be amazing, and games like GRAW2, Rainbow Six Vegas, and Gears of War look startlingly real on SDTV. If you're going to buy a monitor, get a widescreen PC LCD and a VGA cable for the 360.. the bigger the better, but this is a cheap(er) way to go HD. Live seals the deal for me.

I tried other games (Saints Row was cool) but the ones I named above are the keepers so far.

TreyoftheDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 TreyoftheDead

If you're going to buy a monitor, get a widescreen PC LCD and a VGA cable for the 360.. the bigger the better, but this is a cheap(er) way to go HD. snsr

Good idea. I may do that.

m0ney78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 m0ney78
Member since 2003 • 404 Posts

To anyone pondering whether or not to buy a 360 just look at the games. As a gamer you have to get a 360 man. The games are there and if you look at 2007 and 2008 they will continue to pour in, many of these will not been seen the PS3. The PS3 isn't worth it right now, they don't have enough games, online isnt fixed yet and the console is more expensive. Get a 360, play some good games on live and enjoy yourself on a cheaper console.

For those of you worried about SDTVs, don't. I had a 13inch ghetto tv I plugged my 360 in the day I got it. It still looked fantastic coming from gaming on the PS2. I was blown away by the graphics even though I had some trouble reading text on a few games but that's a given due to size. Once I did buy a big HD Samsung holy mutha was there a difference.  It was like I bought another console lol. So, yeah, don't let TV or the PS3 stop you. The PS3 will have its day in a year or more. Unless you are willing to wait that long and *only* pick the console with the larger list of must have games. but doing so you will miss out on some great titles.

TreyoftheDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 TreyoftheDead

To anyone pondering whether or not to buy a 360 just look at the games. As a gamer you have to get a 360 man. The games are there and if you look at 2007 and 2008 they will continue to pour in, many of these will not been seen the PS3. The PS3 isn't worth it right now, they don't have enough games, online isnt fixed yet and the console is more expensive. Get a 360, play some good games on live and enjoy yourself on a cheaper console.

For those of you worried about SDTVs, don't. I had a 13inch ghetto tv I plugged my 360 in the day I got it. It still looked fantastic coming from gaming on the PS2. I was blown away by the graphics even though I had some trouble reading text on a few games but that's a given due to size. Once I did buy a big HD Samsung holy mutha was there a difference. It was like I bought another console lol. So, yeah, don't let TV or the PS3 stop you. The PS3 will have its day in a year or more. Unless you are willing to wait that long and *only* pick the console with the larger list of must have games. but doing so you will miss out on some great titles.

m0ney78

Very good post. I mentioned in a recent blog that I'm very excited about the upcoming PS3 line-up, but you are right, those games are not out right now. The 360 has many games I am interested in that are available now, especially Gears of War. Plus, Halo 3 later this year.  

I am leaning more towards the 360 and my only concern is it's reliability. However, if I get the 2 year replacement plan at Best Buy, I should have that covered.

We'll see.

makoreactors

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#59 makoreactors
Member since 2004 • 803 Posts
Gears of war, castlevania SOTN and Halo 3, nuff said.
romainsimoni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 romainsimoni
Member since 2002 • 1955 Posts

I think the 360 have many amazing games, which matters MOST, and a very well done and established paid online feature.

Bottom line is, it breaks easily.

anandram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#61 anandram
Member since 2007 • 1537 Posts

I think the 360 have many amazing games, which matters MOST, and a very well done and established paid online feature.

Bottom line is, it breaks easily.

romainsimoni

Thats not the "bottom line"...thats a 'con' of the 360 yes but its not the bottom line bar far. The bottom line is what most people have stated about the 360 which i cant be bothered to re-write over again. I think the pors of the 360 outweigh the cons by far....i dont think im alone in this thought either.

jhz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#62 jhz
Member since 2007 • 446 Posts

PS3 - Resistance fall of man, reliable hardware, free online.

360 - Gears of War, XBOX Live, Cheaper console. (although if you buy all the extras for the 360, the prices of ps3 and 360 are quite similar)

There are good points to each console, its just a matter of preference.

lukeymonw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 lukeymonw
Member since 2004 • 196 Posts
if you are worried that your 360 will break buy it somewhere that you can add on an in store warranty. It will save you all of the headache if your system every breaks.
anandram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#64 anandram
Member since 2007 • 1537 Posts
Yea i think another thing to remember with XBL before people state that you have to pay for online- just LOOK at the amount of stuff that is downloadable - you dont even have to go anywhere to get a demo...just find it and press download!! Mind you, the £50 you pay a YEAR is hardly worth moaning about as its worth far more then that...i would happily pay £100 a year for XBL...brings a whole new dimension to gaming and i guess you could go as far to say that the £50 fee is paying for all of the "free" stuff you get? Plus you get much more. So i dont think theres much to complain about in terms of XBL fees. :D
kimsteffan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 kimsteffan
Member since 2005 • 344 Posts
here are the main reasons: best controls ever! achievements and terrific online. and the main reason: GEARS OF WAR!