How long do you play a game until you end up passing on it?

• 54 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

gooflee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 gooflee
Member since 2005 • 652 Posts

I rented Prototype, and played it for about 2 hours and it isn't grabbing me the way that I had hoped. I considering playing 1 more hour to see if I change my view of, before I decide to pass and return it. I almost passed and returned Assassin's Creed until about the 2 hour mark. It seems my level of commitment is about 3 hours to determine if a game will suck me in. It got me thinking: how long do other people play a game before deciding that they have no interest in continuing?

Gamefreak1296

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 Gamefreak1296
Member since 2005 • 1670 Posts

About that long. If a game is garbage i'm not going to waste my time trying to like it.

rattleheadxyz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 rattleheadxyz
Member since 2008 • 677 Posts

Well, it depends on the game.

If it was a game like, oh let's say Bikini Samurai Squad that has very, very obvious issues that are immediately apparent upon picking up the controller then I wouldn't play very long at all. However, with a game like Prototype that comes from a fairly respected studio, that made another game I really liked I usually have a minimum of 4 hours before I decide.

On a side note, I'd recommend sticking with Prototype just a little longer, I thought it was a really solid and fun game, you may too!

Megavideogamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#4 Megavideogamer
Member since 2004 • 6554 Posts

When I play a game I have just bought. I'll play it for 2 hours. If the game's storyline pulls me in to keep playing. I'll play until I finish the storyline. or until I cannot get any further. The game should compel me to continue playing, I should lose track of the time that I put into a game. Last games to do so are Halo Reach and Splinter Cell Conviction. Whereas Halo ODST I tried my hardest to like it. But I just could not. I didn't like the storyline. Loved Halo 3 and Halo Reach. But I could get into the game for ODST. So it ended up on the Forgotten pile.

1-2 hours then either I continue or stop playing the game.

HatfulOfHollow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 HatfulOfHollow
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts
I usually give a game about three hours.
Palantas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#6 Palantas
Member since 2002 • 15329 Posts

Usually I pass out after about 20 or 30 hours.

YoungFlitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#7 YoungFlitz
Member since 2011 • 854 Posts

I give it a couple of hours but it matters what game it is.

ct1257860

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

#8 ct1257860
Member since 2006 • 4441 Posts

Usually 1-2 hours enless its terrible probably like 20 minutes.

DarkyGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 DarkyGamer
Member since 2011 • 61 Posts

somet like 3-4 hours at a time is good for me

Xbox360Gamer15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#10 Xbox360Gamer15
Member since 2009 • 3937 Posts
as long as i can....good games i put in hundreds of hours....bad games i put in maybe 10 to 15 hrs
Patrickbrown56

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#11 Patrickbrown56
Member since 2010 • 892 Posts

I will play a game 1-2 hours to give it a beginning chance. If I don't like it at first, I will shelve it and return to it a few days later. Some games, like FF13, take a really long time to get in to, and to really enjoy. Not only that, I feel that some games suffer from your other gaming selections. For instance, the game Darksiders may not seem as good if you play it immediately after playing a game like RDR. Not only are the genres completely different, but RDR is just a much better game in general. Just as a general rule of thumb, I always try to return to my games at least once before giving up on them.

craigalan23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 craigalan23
Member since 2006 • 15879 Posts
I play a game from start to finish.
Ashley_wwe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#13 Ashley_wwe
Member since 2003 • 13412 Posts
I usually play all the way to the end. I will sometimes go further and get all/as many achievements/unlockables as I can, but I usually just finish the story first, then I will go back to the achievements etc. if I want to. There are two Xbox 360 games that I didn't play through to the end though. They are Brutal Legend (I got stuck on a mission... it changed from action to a strategy kind of mission and I got stuck completely). My brother said it was tough and took him like 2 hours to do said mission, and I couldn't last 10 minutes, and that was when I thought I was doing good... so I put it down for a while... still have to try and finish it one day. The other game would be Fracture. I played it for what must have been about 10 hours and it just felt way too long, and there were not enough story and cutscenes to keep you hooked, but the game itself was pretty fun. Another game I will finish one day.
LustForSoul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 LustForSoul
Member since 2011 • 6404 Posts

2 hours at least to get into the game and see whether it sucks or not. Unless it's garbage, then it's 10 minutes. There's no renting here though, so I check all info I can before purchasing a game. Knowing myself, it's always a good purchase.

AWildMeowth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 AWildMeowth
Member since 2011 • 138 Posts
I try to play all games through, good or bad. I like the achievements. Also, Can a game really be so bad that you don't want to play it at all? IMO, no. You might think yes.
Avatar image for JediMasterSamus
JediMasterSamus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 JediMasterSamus
Member since 2008 • 216 Posts

I tend to play a game until i complete it. I'm the type of guy who can get into pretty much any game he is playing. So, I'll play a game for hours...

Drakebunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Drakebunny
Member since 2008 • 3029 Posts

I usually play all the way to the end. I will sometimes go further and get all/as many achievements/unlockables as I can, but I usually just finish the story first, then I will go back to the achievements etc. if I want to. There are two Xbox 360 games that I didn't play through to the end though. They are Brutal Legend (I got stuck on a mission... it changed from action to a strategy kind of mission and I got stuck completely). My brother said it was tough and took him like 2 hours to do said mission, and I couldn't last 10 minutes, and that was when I thought I was doing good... so I put it down for a while... still have to try and finish it one day. The other game would be Fracture. I played it for what must have been about 10 hours and it just felt way too long, and there were not enough story and cutscenes to keep you hooked, but the game itself was pretty fun. Another game I will finish one day.Ashley_wwe

My friend Ashley here hits the nail on the head.

Avatar image for EasyNormalHard1
EasyNormalHard1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 EasyNormalHard1
Member since 2010 • 203 Posts
For me it depends on what type of game im playing. Like for role playing games I will put more time in playing them because most RPGs start off really slow so probably anywhere from 10 mins to 4-5 hours. The rest of the games I'll give it about 10 mins to 1 hour and I will know if I like it or not. Most of the time I will know in the first 10 mins of starting the game.
zombiejonny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 zombiejonny
Member since 2003 • 8277 Posts
it really depends on the game, if its like really repetitive after like an hour or two thats when i usually end up passing on the game.
vashkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 135

User Lists: 25

#20 vashkey
Member since 2005 • 33781 Posts
It really depends on the game. I don't set some time limit before I decide to quit on a game. It usually depends on how inviting the game is. If the menus are a mess or, if the game is unfairly difficult or if I don't find the gameplay very fun I'll quit pretty quickly. There are some special cases though, I kinda forced myself to play Final Fantasy XIII for like twenty five hours. I gave up on it right there though and I wish I had stopped playing in the first hour.
Xongu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Xongu
Member since 2008 • 531 Posts

I'm the same as vashkey - especially with FF13. I gave up at exactly 25 hours.

Avatar image for deactivated-61cf0c4baf12e
deactivated-61cf0c4baf12e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#22 deactivated-61cf0c4baf12e
Member since 2006 • 6013 Posts

Until I get bored of it.

gta4_2112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#23 gta4_2112
Member since 2007 • 3270 Posts

I play most my games for along time.

JadeNic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 JadeNic
Member since 2007 • 905 Posts

It really depends on the game. Some I will only play for 1-3 hours, while others (mostly RPGs) I will play for 20 hours before quitting.

This is one of my biggest problems when it comes to gaming. I don't give games enough of a chance. If I get bored of them I just stop playing and start something else. I usually intend to go back to them at some point, I just rarely do. I suppose there will be a day, far into the future, where I will actually make a significant dent into my backlog and give these games another chance. But until then, I will probably continue with this bad habit of quitting games early.

max-Emadness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 max-Emadness
Member since 2009 • 1781 Posts

ill iusually complete the game even if i dont like it

firefox59

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 firefox59
Member since 2005 • 4530 Posts

It depends on the genre and the history of the series. Like if I'm playing the second game in a series or I've heard good things I might give it more time. But generally I can find something to appreciate about almost any video game. I'll play a game much longer than most gamers according to the respones in this thread I suppose. 3 hours isn't long enough for many games especially JRPG's or some adventure games.

tizmond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#27 tizmond
Member since 2004 • 181 Posts

Depends really.

When I first played Oblivion, I didn't like it after a few hours, so I traded it. Bought it again after a while because I was bored & had nothing to play. Slugged it out for about 15 hours then got ADDICTED to it.

Lost Odyssey: I played for about 2 weeks (about 25-30 hours game time) before I got so frustrated & disgusted with it, that I stopped playing it & never played it again.

Call Of Duty 4: I got nagged in to buying this by, well, everybody. Played the campaign, that was fun, but only took me 5 hours to do. Played the multiplayer for a week, then just thought, this is actually quite mediocre, got rid of it and haven't touched a COD game since.

Dark Sector: Played it for 1 hour then binned it.

Condemned: Played it for a couple of hours, didn't like it at first, but it grew on me and I ended up really enjoying it.

I always buy Halo games, keep them for a couple of weeks, then trade them because I get bored with them.

Gears Of War 2: Played it for about 3 months, but it was a chore, so I got rid of it & went back to playing the first one.

Alone In The Dark: After a few frustrating hours, I binned it. Shame. I really wanted to like it, but the controls were just awful.

Personally, I don't have a set time I play games before deciding I like them or not. Especially after playing Oblivion and discovering how wrong I was for getting rid of it the first time.

Ashley_wwe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Ashley_wwe
May I also add that when a games online is dead, and there is nothing to do but complete the campaign, that is another factor. An example would be Battle For The Pacific. I liked the game, but there was no extras or anything to do in the campaign other than COMPLETE every level. I completed that in a day, and haven't played it since... I will do though, it was fun. But the online being dead is a big factor these days, especially when the campaign is VERY short and no secrets/extra achievements. Basically, with that game I did the campaign and got all the achievements in one run (about 3 hours), and every achievement (about half of them) were all just multiplayer achievements. I hope to find some players soon... I will try and get some people together when I complete it again, as I can see it being fun as it's like the old Call of Duty games. [QUOTE="tizmondDark Sector: Played it for 1 hour then binned it. Alone In The Dark: After a few frustrating hours, I binned it. Shame. I really wanted to like it, but the controls were just awful

Why do you bin them? :( why not trade them in/sell them? there are people out there that will buy them, no matter what the game. Take me for instance - I love Dark Sector and I still want to get Alone In The Dark (never got around to it) :).
TrapMuzik92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 TrapMuzik92
Member since 2009 • 3424 Posts

I rented Prototype, and played it for about 2 hours and it isn't grabbing me the way that I had hoped. I considering playing 1 more hour to see if I change my view of, before I decide to pass and return it. I almost passed and returned Assassin's Creed until about the 2 hour mark. It seems my level of commitment is about 3 hours to determine if a game will suck me in. It got me thinking: how long do other people play a game before deciding that they have no interest in continuing?

gooflee
I played prototype that i bought from gamefly for 5 bucks, and after 1 hour of playing it I threw it in my dumpster. I wish i bought a Subway 5 dollar foot long.
MasterBolt360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#30 MasterBolt360
Member since 2009 • 5293 Posts

I normally just play, and if it sucks, well then, it sucked.

x-2tha-z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#31 x-2tha-z
Member since 2003 • 8994 Posts
I'm currently having a hard time getting into The Saboteur. It started off really well, but once they introduced the stealth gameplay the enjoyment factor took a nosedive and it hasn't recovered since. It's not because I dislike stealth gameplay. It's just done quite badly in this game. I think I've been playing for about six or seven hours. I'll go back to it one more time. If it doesn't improve, I'll probably think about trading it.
Ashley_wwe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Ashley_wwe
I'm currently having a hard time getting into The Saboteur. It started off really well, but once they introduced the stealth gameplay the enjoyment factor took a nosedive and it hasn't recovered since. It's not because I dislike stealth gameplay. It's just done quite badly in this game. I think I've been playing for about six or seven hours. I'll go back to it one more time. If it doesn't improve, I'll probably think about trading it.x-2tha-z
When things like that happen in games, it can be a pain :(. I can't think of anything at the minute, but there is definately something... FPS games come to mind. It starts off as a basic, straight-up FPS game, but then later in the game you have LOADS of power-ups and abilities, and the game seems completely different. I can't think what it could be at the minute though... But one game that changed a LOT was Brutal Legend (as I mentioned in this thread a few days ago). I played the demo and loved it. I immediately said "right, I'm getting this next week" (release date) and while I do get games on release date a lot (besides a lot of games I get for Christmas), I knew I wanted that after just about 10 minutes of playing the demo (a lot of it was videos at first). I loved it... then it gradually turned in to a strategy game and the whole game felt entirely different for me! that kinda threw me off... but I'll come back to it one day.
DrD3V1L

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 DrD3V1L
Member since 2004 • 2064 Posts

Depends on the game for me, if it's an open world game, then it can last a long time! but if I'm confined to a certain space until a certain task has been completed, then I can get bored very quickly.

Enid_Green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Enid_Green
Member since 2010 • 1261 Posts

Depends how long the game is. I've rented games I didn't really enjoy but I knew the campaign was only 15-20 hours long, so I stuck it out for a weekend just to make sure it didn't redeem itself later.

If it's a 30+ hour epic, I'll give it 2-3 hours before I throw in the towel.

piranha_inc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#35 piranha_inc
Member since 2005 • 1994 Posts
like 20 min LOL, I have a very litle attention span, I have a lot of trouble finding games I like because of this
SoAmazingBaby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 SoAmazingBaby
Member since 2009 • 3023 Posts
Ill play it untill it isn't fun.
sambo2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 sambo2011
Member since 2006 • 411 Posts

It depends what type of game it is and what the game is like itself. I would play through the story, online and then give any added modes a go, then go through the main story again if it was addicting and replayable. Aswell if there is some achievements, quests or other things to unlock then i will keep playing it till i eventually get board of the game then pass it on. Or keep it in my game collection which i am rebuilding due to me selling games after play them before.

mrsniper83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 114

#38 mrsniper83
Member since 2009 • 1552 Posts
I give it few hours, although some games dont make it that long(Too Human)
h3LL_ZinKy69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#39 h3LL_ZinKy69
Member since 2010 • 184 Posts

1 hours or maybe 2 hours tops. For me a game has to be interesting from the moment you start playing it to the very end for it to be considered a fun game to play.

Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#40 Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts
It really depends on the game. I don't set some time limit before I decide to quit on a game. It usually depends on how inviting the game is. If the menus are a mess or, if the game is unfairly difficult or if I don't find the gameplay very fun I'll quit pretty quickly. There are some special cases though, I kinda forced myself to play Final Fantasy XIII for like twenty five hours. I gave up on it right there though and I wish I had stopped playing in the first hour. vashkey
Same here. I put in roughly 27 hours and I still don't understand how I did it.. I haven't played it since.
tizmond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#41 tizmond
Member since 2004 • 181 Posts

[QUOTE="tizmondDark Sector: Played it for 1 hour then binned it. Alone In The Dark: After a few frustrating hours, I binned it. Shame. I really wanted to like it, but the controls were just awfulAshley_wwe
Why do you bin them? :( why not trade them in/sell them? there are people out there that will buy them, no matter what the game. Take me for instance - I love Dark Sector and I still want to get Alone In The Dark (never got around to it) :).

It was a figure of speech, I did of course trade them.

It wasn't that Dark Sector was particularly bad, it just didn't strike me as anything special.

Alone In The Dark: Great setting, story, atmosphere & idea. RUINED by poor gameplay & awful camera angles. There's a reason it was in the bargain bins a month after it was released.

LowDownDirty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 LowDownDirty
Member since 2009 • 96 Posts

I always finish the story of games now, but before I play a game I read several reviews and I will only play games with a sub-8.0 score if I am REALLY interested in something about it.

However, if I start a game and about half way through I start getting bored I switch I might switch from the hardest setting (I always play games on the hardest setting) to the easiest so I can just breeze through the rest of it. I RARELY do this, but I have done it before.

Also when a sequel comes out sometimes I play through the previous game if it was really good and I will usually play these on an easier setting b/c I just want to brush up on the story. If the have a NG+ though I won't play it instead though. I don't do this often either, but with games like Dead Space, Bioshock, etc. I have. I also played through GTA IV again before I played Episodes from Liberty City so I could see how the stories interacted.

The last game I started but didn't finish was Mass Effect 1. I plan on finishing it at some point though, but I am a completionist/explorer so I don't even start games like Fallout 3 or Mass Effect unless I KNOW I have the time to sink 50-60 hours at least into them and I just don't have that kinda time right now. If I would've known Mass Effect was so expansive I wouldn't have even started it.

Really if you read site reviews, user reviews, and know the types of games you like then you should rarely not want to finish a game. ESPECIALLY if you are buying them. I burn all my games so I play a TON of games I wouldn't try otherwise, but I still research them enough to finish 99% of them.

For instance, Prototype was not a very good game, but it was fun to me. I really like most open world games so it was fairly easy for me to finish it even though I knew it wasn't a great game I still enjoyed it b/c it's in a genre I like. If it would've been longer like most RPG's I wouldn't have finished it b/c while it was fun for the 6-8 hours it took to beat it.....it wouldn't have stayed fun much longer.

Some games I have to put down at points because I get to a part that is just too frustrating and I don't want to ruin the game. Recently this happened with Super Meat Boy on the Dark World later levels.....I went back and beat it (the only game I've ever got 100% and perfect gamerscore on). This also happened on God Hard mode on Vanquish in 4-2 when facing the Bia's. But I always go back to it.

XboxGuy1537

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#43 XboxGuy1537
Member since 2010 • 2360 Posts

It all depends on if it's good or not.

BornDEAD92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 BornDEAD92
Member since 2011 • 147 Posts
If I find it's boring in the first hour, it's a goner. No point in wasting time.
MW2ismygame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 MW2ismygame
Member since 2010 • 2188 Posts

about 2-3 hours thank god i did that for FO3 because when i played it for the first time i thought it was trash and after i got farther and farther it turned out to be my favorite game in my collection which for me is a lot

arash72

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 arash72
Member since 2010 • 25 Posts

usually about 4 0r 5 hour

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#47 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

I play a game from start to finish.craigalan23

same here

LHGPalmer4Life

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 LHGPalmer4Life
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts
always depends on the game.
DonutNerd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 DonutNerd
Member since 2011 • 173 Posts

A few hours normally. If the game is obviously bad in the first 10 minutes or so then I quit playing it straight away.

XxViLxX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#50 XxViLxX
Member since 2010 • 54 Posts
If i bought the game, i try to finish it for the sake of dollars spent, but would probably never play it again.