How do kids afford games these days?

• 164 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

ashuncc2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 ashuncc2
Member since 2004 • 886 Posts

I was just reading the article about Bioshock and the $60 and $70 price points.  I thought back when I purchased a NES and it took me almost a year of saving up $100 to purchase the console.  I know about inflation, so that's not really an answer because the national rate(USA) is between 4-6%.  So, how in the world are kids able to afford video games these days?

rufnek69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 rufnek69
Member since 2003 • 144 Posts

Mommy and Daddy perhaps? :P

crazymunda6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 crazymunda6
Member since 2004 • 1389 Posts
Its not really kids persay, it's they somewhat rich parents who allow them to get such consoles, perhaps for special days like christmas or their birthday or even a special religious day that they have. All in all, the kids dont really buy it they only recieve it from the parents.
phobos8u

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4 phobos8u
Member since 2003 • 518 Posts
Depends on what you mean by kids. I had a job when I was 16, thats how I bought games. Younger then that? then I would assume parents.
Army_Veteran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#5 Army_Veteran
Member since 2006 • 1201 Posts
When I was a kid back in Coleco Vision days, and early NES, I would have to have done good in school that week, then do work around the house, liek mow the lawn, pick up trash. I would then have a choice of getting either a couple packes of baseball cards or a video game rentail. Most of the time I picked Baseball cards. But then I leanred about going around to other hosues and asking if I could cut their yard or rake leaves. Then I could either buy or rent a game myself. Maybe that is how they can afford it now. When we was kids, going to sombodies house and earning $5 to mow the yard was big bucks, now kids probably make $20 for it.
nocoolnamejim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#6 nocoolnamejim
Member since 2003 • 15136 Posts
When I was a kid, there was a place within biking distance of my house called the Video Game Trading Post that allowed you to trade games in, add $5 in charge, and leave with a different game. Of course the place made allowances for the quality of the games in question. You couldn't trade a stinker for a AAA title, but I still never lacked for video games again after discovering that place. Maybe kids these days aren't getting all their games new? Trading used games for used games worked quite well. Another thing was that I traded games with my friends. They'd let me borrow one of their games for a while in return for borrowing one of mine.
ebentsmitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 ebentsmitty
Member since 2004 • 25 Posts
sell crack duh
msjr78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 msjr78
Member since 2005 • 4004 Posts
Think about the fact that NES games used to cost $50 way back in the day. I remember getting "Blades of Steel" for $50. I had to beg my mom to get that for me. Like kids do nowadays. But now that I'm mature and have a job and responsibilities, I can get that copy of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles without it being an issue.
V_Zarnold_N

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#9 V_Zarnold_N
Member since 2006 • 1272 Posts
get a freaking job.... nobody buys me anything yet somehow i still have a 360 a hd tv a wii and a boat load of games along with paying for insurance and gas on my truck and school.... thats how i afford everything a damn job
Rink-uz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Rink-uz
Member since 2006 • 140 Posts
I just buy and sell my games on ebay. Never had a problem. Sell, buy sell buy keep one. Than start over with some money I earn with mowing lawns or something.
Avatar image for deactivated-5cf2c77e6a2c5
deactivated-5cf2c77e6a2c5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 deactivated-5cf2c77e6a2c5
Member since 2005 • 2063 Posts
I'am 16 but if i asked my parnets to buy me games i would have no chance, sometimes i can get them to thou lol
YourLastDay86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 YourLastDay86
Member since 2004 • 1073 Posts
Parents or paycheck. It isn't rocket science...or is it?
Avatar image for justforlotr2004
justforlotr2004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 justforlotr2004
Member since 2004 • 10935 Posts
Most real kids probably do chores and stuff but if you mean like teenagers and stuff Id say some have some part time job or something now aday's.  Kinda hard to just generalize a whole age group on how they get money.
reject09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#14 reject09
Member since 2006 • 510 Posts
they just save up and buy all the games they can.
msjr78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 msjr78
Member since 2005 • 4004 Posts
I'am 16 but if i asked my parnets to buy me games i would have no chance, sometimes i can get them to thou lolJayJog
You know what you should do? Get a job at a Gamestop or Game Crazy. Perfect job for someone your age. That way, you'll be making money and you could also get employee discounts. A buddy of mine did that when we were in high school and he always had all the newest PC games first.
heavy_rocker29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#16 heavy_rocker29
Member since 2005 • 76 Posts
I'm fifteen and i buy all of my games except for the ocasional present but I have to work my ass off. It's a mix of my allowance which is abnormally high $30 a month and a rake lawns, pick up dog poop, and yes i used to sell a lemonade. I Don't get this spoiled, 'oh my little johnny want's a new game... I'll buy him the uber edition and new controllers too.' Nu-uh f*** that. And you know what it pisses me off i know kids who get a $800 dollar computer and high end games for their birthday and get a huge friggin' party it's nuts. I am a little spoiled but at least i have to work a bit. It took a year to save up for my Xbox 360. Seriously little miss rich gets all this free stuff when i have to empty my pockets just to keep up to date on games. It's insane. I feel bad for adults with kids. They want games their kids want games and it all comes from their wallet. I rarely ask my parents for anything beacuse of this. oopps sorry i went a little long there... Oh well, peace out.:)
319ni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#17 319ni
Member since 2005 • 1159 Posts
they dont its mugs like me 28 years old who gets em
Avatar image for peachy_dagansta
peachy_dagansta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 peachy_dagansta
Member since 2005 • 2103 Posts
job
Avatar image for deactivated-5cf2c77e6a2c5
deactivated-5cf2c77e6a2c5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 deactivated-5cf2c77e6a2c5
Member since 2005 • 2063 Posts

[QUOTE="JayJog"]I'am 16 but if i asked my parnets to buy me games i would have no chance, sometimes i can get them to thou lolmsjr78
You know what you should do? Get a job at a Gamestop or Game Crazy. Perfect job for someone your age. That way, you'll be making money and you could also get employee discounts. A buddy of mine did that when we were in high school and he always had all the newest PC games first.

I do help with my dads friend on weekends with his landscape gardening bisness but iam gettn a apprenticeship which pays a gud wage for a 16 year old  

Mikerules868

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Mikerules868
Member since 2004 • 2153 Posts
Well im a paper boy...
OfficialBed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 OfficialBed
Member since 2005 • 17668 Posts
if they are under the age of legally working, then i say their parents buy them games
CooVee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 CooVee
Member since 2005 • 2161 Posts
I never had an allowance as a kid so I usually just get Nes games as a present. Although I got in to NES when SNES was on the market so the prices were lowered a bit. Now that I am older I earn my money by working.
tonymatt225

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 tonymatt225
Member since 2006 • 212 Posts
Kids cant get jobs so either they make good grades, wait for the holiday, birthday, or do something a stripper would do.
pigonthewing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#24 pigonthewing
Member since 2003 • 380 Posts
When i was a kid i just saved up my allowances and often got games for Birthday/Christmas.  Plus I find games arent much different in price.  I remember Final Fantasy one was going for like 90 bucks when it came out.  They were normally around $50-$70 just like these days.
Avatar image for SMASHED_ASPHALT
SMASHED_ASPHALT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 SMASHED_ASPHALT
Member since 2007 • 1777 Posts

Job or parents.

marinebro0306

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 marinebro0306
Member since 2005 • 1098 Posts

I was just reading the article about Bioshock and the $60 and $70 price points.  I thought back when I purchased a NES and it took me almost a year of saving up $100 to purchase the console.  I know about inflation, so that's not really an answer because the national rate(USA) is between 4-6%.  So, how in the world are kids able to afford video games these days?

ashuncc2

I make 250 biweekly, so it's not that hard. I'm saving up for car insurance though, so most goes towards that. My parents never buy me games/consoles though.

Avatar image for stealth360snipa
stealth360snipa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#27 stealth360snipa
Member since 2006 • 767 Posts

ashuncc2
becuase our parents/relatives shower us with cash. my dad buys me games on a monthly/bi-monthly basis. alot of u guys said birthdays/holidays. my brother and i get 5 to 10 games for christmas.
princemarth23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 princemarth23
Member since 2005 • 9229 Posts
My parents would buy me games for doing chores or because of a special occasion.
stealth360snipa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 stealth360snipa
Its not really kids persay, it's they somewhat rich parents who allow them to get such consoles, perhaps for special days like christmas or their birthday or even a special religious day that they have. All in all, the kids dont really buy it they only recieve it from the parents.crazymunda6
yea, thats just about rite. but u dont need rich parents 4 games. u can just walk into walmart on an average day and ask mum or dad 4 a game.
killeer2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 killeer2007
Member since 2004 • 793 Posts
For kids that can't legally work I would suggest mowing lawns. Ex. mow 3 average sized yards and charge $30 each that's $90.
jstarzyk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#31 jstarzyk
Member since 2004 • 3507 Posts
I'm not much of a kid anymore, but searching out a good deal always helps.
Metalnoid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Metalnoid
Member since 2006 • 1314 Posts

When i was a kid, i ask my parents for money. In the cartrigde consoles time (NES, Genesis, SNES) i bought some games, then i rent others, or trade sometimes. I ask for games on my birthday or money :).
I buy games with my friends too, they buy one, i buy other. So then we trade between us, i give this you give that.

Today, the kids i think they do something like this too.

stealth360snipa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 stealth360snipa

When i was a kid, i ask my parents for money. In the cartrigde consoles time (NES, Genesis, SNES) i bought some games, then i rent others, or trade sometimes. I ask for games on my birthday or money :).
I buy games with my friends too, they buy one, i buy other. So then we trade between us, i give this you give that.

Today, the kids i think they do something like this too.

Metalnoid
nope wrong not true. look at my previous post.
munsoned

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 munsoned
Member since 2006 • 3064 Posts
they steal and sell drugs....the world has turned very bad. look out ur window:(
hcreview

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 hcreview
Member since 2006 • 235 Posts
birthdays, chrismas, good grades, you know, pretty much the same ways they used to back in 90s
Metalnoid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Metalnoid
Member since 2006 • 1314 Posts
they steal and sell drugs....the world has turned very bad. look out ur window:(munsoned

:lol:, i hear they train playing GTA Jack Thompson Help Us!!!!
Jstur14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Jstur14
Member since 2004 • 140 Posts

Think about the fact that NES games used to cost $50 way back in the day. I remember getting "Blades of Steel" for $50. I had to beg my mom to get that for me. Like kids do nowadays. But now that I'm mature and have a job and responsibilities, I can get that copy of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles without it being an issue.msjr78

Though I do like Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles that just doesn't sound right, Now that I'm mature I can get a kids game :)

ag1002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 ag1002
Member since 2004 • 13499 Posts
I had to hike to school uphill both ways in the snow, we didn't have a second lung in those times so we had to keep it slow.

I'm 16, and just to give the older guys a hint, we have to do pretty much the same thing as you did in your time.  When I was 12 I'd go around the neighborhood with friends washing cars, we'd do an extra good job and would clean the inside of the car if asked.  We made around $5 each, and carrying that kind of cash in our pockets was a big deal.  I'd also do jobs around the house for dollars and cents. 
Of course there is always the kid who was born to rich parents, always had the newest toys first, and could cry his way out of any trouble.  It's all up to the parents to treat their kid how they see fit, no matter what time you're from.
fordies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 fordies
Member since 2005 • 5829 Posts
I had a paper round when i was younger so that how i got money to get games but i would have to sacrifice going to the cinema or doing anything that costs money for a two weeks.
b11051973

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 b11051973
Member since 2002 • 7621 Posts

With inflation, games are actually cheaper now then they used to be.

tratyu92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 tratyu92
Member since 2006 • 1773 Posts
I am a bounty hunter.I get paid to kick alien butt!
NickinAround

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 NickinAround
Member since 2003 • 3430 Posts
I sell drugs.
sonofabear17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 sonofabear17
Member since 2006 • 1941 Posts

ashuncc2

I sell stuff

gatsbythepig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 gatsbythepig
Member since 2003 • 11939 Posts
I think a lot of these 'kids' are between 20 and thirty years ol with jobs.
NewScotland

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 NewScotland
Member since 2006 • 25 Posts
Beat other Kids up for there lunch money!!:twisted:
zaphod_b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 zaphod_b
Member since 2002 • 2201 Posts
[QUOTE="ashuncc2"]

I was just reading the article about Bioshock and the $60 and $70 price points. I thought back when I purchased a NES and it took me almost a year of saving up $100 to purchase the console. I know about inflation, so that's not really an answer because the national rate(USA) is between 4-6%. So, how in the world are kids able to afford video games these days?

marinebro0306

I make 250 biweekly, so it's not that hard. I'm saving up for car insurance though, so most goes towards that. My parents never buy me games/consoles though.

This is how kids do it. The younger you are, the more expendable income you have. Here we have someone making $250 biweekly, and he could probably buy a game a week if he wanted to. I remember doing that occasionally when I was in school.

ronjonss04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 ronjonss04
Member since 2004 • 476 Posts

i dunno man when i was like 16 i used to work the summer and make decent money, and then got a job that school year. That's how i started buying games, you can always go down the dark path and sell some crack it will pay the video game fees.

carnedge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 carnedge
Member since 2006 • 40 Posts

i was 11 when i bought my n64 with my own cash mind u, i had a jar that i threw all my change in (pennies nickels ect.) and my parents also threw some change in there every once in awhile, so my good friend and i put or change together and had about 150 bucks i think, then we just scratched and saved for a few weeks and had the 200-something we needed to buy the n64 i had it for two years bought a ton of games for it and then gave the n64 to my friend after

fore_runner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 fore_runner
Member since 2004 • 8704 Posts
My parents always got the games for me...this was their way of screening content, and it worked for me since I didn't have to pay.
ramyar_1987

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 ramyar_1987
Member since 2006 • 31 Posts
I live in Iraq if u think i am joking well iam not so the situation in here its a lot harder and i love xbox 360 i bought one but iam lucky because i bought a hacked version its not illegal in here i buy the latest xbox360 game for 5-10$ muhahahha.