GTA 4 Overrated??

• 118 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

dnate91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 dnate91
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts

I have been playing GTA 4 a lot on xbox live and have heard many players say that San Andreas and Vice City were much better than the most recent installment of the series. I was confused because so many respectable journalistic outlets (such as gamespot) rated it a 10 out of 10. I know that ratings are very subjective, but i feel that halo 3 and call of duty 4, though different from GTA 4 in many ways, deserved the same 10 rating given to GTA 4. Perfect ratings are not given out often and I believe that it shouldn't have been given to this game. I do like it a lot and play it often, but I wouldn't rate it perfect. To me GTA 4 is overrated.

Please respond, let me know how the gaming community feels about GTA 4 and the rating system used by many gaming publications.

craigalan23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 craigalan23
Member since 2006 • 15879 Posts
10/10 means prime on Gamespot. Not perfect just adds a lot to the genre and even with it's flaws all of its features make up for it.
Anyway my personal opinion is no not overrated.
Avatar image for clarkportmanken
clarkportmanken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 clarkportmanken
Member since 2003 • 1714 Posts

10/10 means prime on Gamespot. Not perfect just adds a lot to the genre and even with it's flaws all of its features make up for it.
Anyway my personal opinion is no not overrated.craigalan23

i think its great but i don't think it adds anything new to the genre i think its the most polished gta4 and most detailed and i think thats good in some ways and bad in others.

iam2green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 iam2green
Member since 2007 • 13991 Posts
no not realy. i think gta4 is a great game to play.
Flawl3s5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Flawl3s5
Member since 2007 • 70 Posts
YES THE PHYSICS ARE so messed up and the story is so boring i returned it the same day i got it
yetiboy15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 yetiboy15
Member since 2005 • 406 Posts
it is overrated. not as fun as other gtas
IvIasakari

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 IvIasakari

I'm a huge GTA fan but GTA IV has to be one of the most overrated games I've played in a while. I think people are just blinded by the graphics because i can't see anything more exciting in this game.

A lot of things have even been taken out such as I can't ride a bicycle, can't fly aeroplanes, can't buy property, can't upgrade character, can't take gang regions and i can't find a single thing to spend my money on except the small stuff i.e. weapons and taxis. The map is also boring, once you've seen one section of the city it's all the same, and there are only a handful of buildings you can go into; which makes searching for one a huge waste of time. After i completed the missions, the sandbox aspect of the game (which was endlessly brilliant in previous releases) is a huge let-down.

I think they've tried to make it too realistic; which completely goes against what a game is supposed to be. I might as well just walk in the street as that's all you get with this game : GTA with almost life-like graphics with no substance.

Sorry this seems like a review but i can only post here because I'm not a huge gamespot user. But i just had to comment about this game as it is a crime itself to release something like this and get millions of $$$ for it.

Trickshot771

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Trickshot771
Member since 2005 • 12686 Posts
It's extremely overrated, just like every GTA game. It's the same thing as all the other games with better graphics, big deal.
HarryXHardcore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 HarryXHardcore

Anyway my personal opinion is no not overrated.craigalan23

Agreed, It's such a step up from San Andreas.

PiNwOrM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#10 PiNwOrM
Member since 2005 • 2030 Posts

Any time something gets a high rating it's overrated by some. Who cares.

I consider Final Fantasy to be not only a steaming pile of garbage, but I consider it to have single handedly destroyed RPG's. I'm sure a billion people disagree with me, and I'm sure they don't care about my opinion.

Get over it. If you don't like it, oh well, get over it.

ArsenicA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#11 ArsenicA
Member since 2007 • 1446 Posts
gtaiv got a 10 score bc its gta... imo its the same as the previous games... it doesnt bring anything new to the series. but thats just me *shrugs*
Mau-Justice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Mau-Justice
Member since 2008 • 4907 Posts
It's overrated. The game is very shallow, but that doesn't mean it isn't a ton of fun.
GSU28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 GSU28
Member since 2007 • 1608 Posts
I liked Vice City a lot, HATED San Andreas, and LOVE GTA IV. I hope they stick with the current formula, it really seems to work; judging by my personal experience and its critical acclaim.
KGB32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 KGB32
Member since 2007 • 4279 Posts
no this game definitely deserves the praise it is getting
cheames748

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 cheames748
Member since 2007 • 667 Posts
YES THE PHYSICS ARE so messed up and the story is so boring i returned it the same day i got it Flawl3s5
what are you talking about dude the physics are epic in this game. and just because the slightly mature story flew straight over youre little 12 year old head doesnt make it boring.
Avatar image for torontomapleafs
torontomapleafs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 torontomapleafs
Member since 2006 • 2019 Posts
I think it is great and will be playing it for months. I would of gave it a 10 over anygame.
gamer_10001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#18 gamer_10001
Member since 2006 • 2588 Posts

[QUOTE="Flawl3s5"]YES THE PHYSICS ARE so messed up and the story is so boring i returned it the same day i got it cheames748
what are you talking about dude the physics are epic in this game. and just because the slightly mature story flew straight over youre little 12 year old head doesnt make it boring.

I'm sure he was being SARCASTIC

g-rash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 g-rash
Member since 2003 • 3128 Posts
Cops n Crooks makes up for anything that San Andreas had over this. Sure you can't customize cars and buy more clothes but can you honestly come up with anything else that would look good on Niko other than the clothes that are in the game? I mean he's pretty ugly and even a little fat. He can't rock a polo or a sweatshirt, all he can really wear are suits, a few jackets and his track suit. He also wouldn't customize cars. I do miss buying property though since that's what makes Vice City my fave in terms of single player. But overall GTA 4 is much better because of the new physics, polish, immersiveness, Libery City and COPS N CROOKS.
Yeaboy78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Yeaboy78

Yes and no

Im pleased with the game, although I was expecting more "extra" stuff to do.

Maluigi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 120

#21 Maluigi
Member since 2005 • 309 Posts
10 out of 10 means that no game changing changes could've been made to the game to make it any better....at least, that's what gamespot says. But overall, I agree. If we still had the old rating system, I believe it should have a 9.8.
Mothman301

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Mothman301
Member since 2007 • 166 Posts

well i think gta 4 deserves a 10 maybe a little overated but rockstar has been working on this game for 3 years and it has alot of polish to but ratings are more about fun factor or how fun it is

LegacyofBain81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 LegacyofBain81
San Andreas was way better than GTA4,boring story=boring game,i think it's the second most overrated game ever #1 being halo 3 that game just sucks.
great_rulo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 great_rulo
Member since 2007 • 2838 Posts
Cmon guys! stop liying to yourselves, GTAIV didnt do anything new, its not innovative at all, all the things improved from San Andreas to this were already present in Saints Row, GTAIV is a 8.5/10 game, the best game right now? dont make me laugh, Oblivion is much better than this.
Avatar image for stinkey_monkey9
stinkey_monkey9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 stinkey_monkey9
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts

the physics are some of the best in any game, notice how you actually step on or over bodies as you walk on them? haven seen that in any other games. You arent very smart for returning it. You'll regret it. The story is the best by far in any GTA series. So what are you complaining about?

robmisterj20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 robmisterj20
Right I totally get what every1 is sayin i think this game is amazing! Perfect... no... but amazing. I mean the planes and character mods are missed but you gotta remember this is the first next gen GTA its like the jump from gta2 to gta3 it didnt jus go from gta2 to san andreas. They made an groundbreaking, atractive but quite basic GTA4 (like gta3 was on ps2) now they will start adding in the character mods and planes and other cool stuff to the next games (I hope). In the mean time lets see wat SR2 has to offer in august!
SerOlmy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

#27 SerOlmy
Member since 2003 • 2369 Posts

In a word... VERY.

It boggles my mind and shows how screwed up our society is that a game like this gets a 10/10 by some many reviewers. There are many games that deserve a 10/10 far more than this.

Jolly_Lolly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Jolly_Lolly
Member since 2008 • 332 Posts
wow, what's with all the hate? it's a great game, get over it.
TheRevanent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#29 TheRevanent
Member since 2006 • 201 Posts
Whoever says the story is boring is crazy, it's just more mature and serious than the other GTAs. This is far and away the best GTA of all, better gun play, better driving, better characters, more fun, and just all round more game. San Andreas started to take GTA down a more RPG route that wasnt needed, I'm glad they went back to a more classic formula.
TheRevanent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#30 TheRevanent
Member since 2006 • 201 Posts

In a word... VERY.

It boggles my mind and shows how screwed up our society is that a game like this gets a 10/10 by some many reviewers. There are many games that deserve a 10/10 far more than this.

SerOlmy

Wow you think society is messed up because of a GAME REVIEW?! You need to take a better look at society then dude, this is the least of our worries.

doubalfa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 29

#31 doubalfa
Member since 2006 • 7108 Posts
i think it is i got carried in the hype and now... i just cant enjoy it
lamech777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 lamech777
Member since 2006 • 449 Posts

San Andreas was way better than GTA4,boring story=boring game,i think it's the second most overrated game ever #1 being halo 3 that game just sucks.LegacyofBain81

I agree with every word of this statement.

Senor_T_Dub

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Senor_T_Dub
Member since 2007 • 274 Posts
For what it does, GTAIV is a fantastic title and has been well-received as such. As for being the #1 rated game on gamerankings.com and other sites that track multiple reviews I have to laugh. The game is basically a tribute to all the things that have made GTA as a series great, but without breaking a lot of new ground the series is bound to begin to feel stale. When the most revolutionary things commented on in reviews are Niko's cell phone or the implimentation of a cover system then things are not looking to brightly. Personally I think it should be impossible for a title to score higher than its predecessors when there haven't been enough changes to warrant the score. As for its reception from fans, most players love it but many (myself included) had more fun with their original playthrough of one of the other GTA games simply because they felt more fresh. For me personally the game is simply too familiar to warrant a 10/10, though with my review I did try to see it through the eyes of a more average gamer and not one who has probably spent hundreds of hours immersed in GTA throughout the years.
kerrman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#34 kerrman
Member since 2003 • 2904 Posts

YES THE PHYSICS ARE so messed up and the story is so boring i returned it the same day i got it Flawl3s5

Most people would only be able to crank 10 or less hours into a game in one day. Which all in all.. is less then a third of the game if you were to only play the main missions, neglect your in-game friends, neglect side missions, and of course not having fun in Liberty City. And I've had many many realistic physics experiences, don't know what you're talking about. Maybe getting hit by a car goin 150 you launch pretty damn high, but it's never that unrealistic.

To me, your point is less than invalid in every aspect. That's sad for a guy who considers himself "Flawl3s5"

jiff_man12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 jiff_man12
Member since 2005 • 88 Posts
to be honest, the only people who believe that gta iv was overrated are the people who were disappointed that they couldn't do GTA PIMP MY RIDE or GTA REAL ESTATE or GTA AIRPLANE SIMULATOR or whatever. honestly, it's a game - not the sims.
cloud878

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 64

#36 cloud878
Member since 2006 • 67 Posts

I found the game very fun. I'm not very far. Like 25% but so far it's good. The story mode is kind of questionable. Very repetitive missions. Drive. Shoot. Repeat.

sukosd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 sukosd
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts
I am going to keep this short. GTA IV is great sure they took somethings I like out like pimping cars and just better music and clothes but thats just little things. All and all I have not had a problem with the whole series and I feel that the game is not over rated.
w4rgasm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

#38 w4rgasm
Member since 2005 • 1253 Posts
They could have made a much better multiplayer...
jacim91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 jacim91
Member since 2007 • 120 Posts
In comparison with the other gta s gta4 has great new stuff like the graphics and the fighting system (taking cover at the walls). Although it has improvements i don't think it deserves a 10 because it also lost great thing it used to had that made the game what it was, for example cutting your hair, improving your car etc. To sum up the game is great but it doesn't deserve a 10 no matter what the excuses are (for removing the old things).
mrgab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 47

User Lists: 1

#40 mrgab
Member since 2005 • 23329 Posts

Consider the game more of a 9 out 10. Fun to play but with some personal shortcomings.

Suliman-Uchia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#41 Suliman-Uchia
Member since 2007 • 893 Posts
No it is not. This is the only GTA that is so very fun. It is not fustrating, has decent story, lovebal character, cover system and amazing characters. CJ was a horrible character he was a person who only cursed. The story of SA was crappy.
SystemoDown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 SystemoDown
Member since 2008 • 150 Posts
Over rated yes a lot. Yes all the Gta are good. but they also get boring after you beat them. And when i saw 10 out of 10 omg which dumbass rated that? i am guessing a wanna be gangster
gearsOwar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 gearsOwar
I think it really is over rated I mean you just walk around killing people and the only reason people like it is because of the sex and violence. It is good but not that good.
grafkhun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#44 grafkhun
Member since 2006 • 12827 Posts
i think its overrated although i haven't played it yet so i cant really say. but from what ive seen and heard, it doesn't bring anything new to the sandbox genre and the realism it achieves, while admirable, doesn't really fit in the GTA universe.
gta4_2112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#45 gta4_2112
Member since 2007 • 3270 Posts
its the best game ive ever played and it is not overrated
-Sio-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 -Sio-
Member since 2008 • 42 Posts
i like it, and I don't understand why everyone feels like they have to complain about it over and over again. I mean sure, it has it's flaws that each person weighs differently but doesn't every game? I don't like to be pessimistic about great games, so I love it. If you are trying to be dissapointed by it, then I am sure you will find many reasons to be, but for a change of pace try to enjoy a game before you hit up forums talking about how overrated it is.
phearless

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 phearless
Member since 2005 • 80 Posts
GTA IV got good ratings across the board because it deserved it. This game is a spectacular showing of what technology and artistical skills can do. The story is dead on and interesting not the campy lets go gun and run of the past two gta games. I love the driving mechanics because they are based in real physics. Lets face facts you can't hang a turn doing 50mph unless you are going to be doing flips on the streets. I have the other gta games and they are just right for the time they came out. GTA IV is right for now. We need realism to remind us that doing things demand that we suffer consequences for doing things. Know what I mean? Oh yeah, the strip joints help out too :D
Ra-Devil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#48 Ra-Devil
Member since 2006 • 1512 Posts

I think it's hilarious that GTA4's Gamespot Video Review is completley different from their written review. Go watch the video review, within the first few moments of the review, the reviewer outright says, "so this isn't a perfect game by any means," and yet they gave it 10 out of 10, as perfect as they can give something... why not just a 9.5 out of 10, that's as good as a game can possibly get in all honesty. I mean, there isn't one game out there that is absolutely perfect. None. Not a single game where there isn't a single flaw in it in some way, or something that is important to the game but missing. The whole "10 out of 10" thing really bugged me, because GS reviews are usually pretty honest, and pretty brutal on some lesser named games. That's not always a good thing, but in an industry filled to the brim with games worth playing, each of them $60, you'd like to have a second opinion on where to drop the $500 worth of games you'll buy in about 6 months alone. I like listening to fans as well, but fans can be over-zealous, and make games seem so much more than they actually are. "Zelda rock!" Well, I tried to play it, and I didn't like it.... funny, because it also got great reviews. "Kane and Lynch was great!" I played it, and I honestly liked it far more than I originally thought. I mean, it felt like playing the shooting scene in the first Matrix movie, just all the time. Then GS gave it a 6. That's when I listen both parties with caution.

Fans are overly-generous to all games, reviewers are overly generous to big-named games. I'll listen to GS first, then fans later, unless I know what I'm getting into. It's hard to explain, but you have to forge your own path when it comes to planning to buy games. If you're going to buy and play it, reviews don't matter. If you're on the fense, then talk to someone with the same taste in games, don't talk to fans. They'll convice you it's better than sex.... and they're wrong. Don't necessarily trust in reviewers either, as they may be too generous, as they were with GTA 4, or they may be too brutal, like K&L.

Believe half of what you see, and nothing you hear... untill you know for yourself. GTA 4 was very, very overrated in my opinion. San Andreas had more gameplay features, and more content overall, and it was the previous title in the series. That's a worn out record, but it doesn't make it not true. GTA 4 just feels.... last gen, just with a fresh coat of paint. I was disapointed, as I expected more from it... shame on me I suppose. Never expect a game to meet your expectations, always doubt a game. Most of the time it lives up to your lower expectations, and you don't go into hype mode, but if it IS better than expected, you'll be even more pleased with the game... my new philosophy anyway.

rocketman001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#49 rocketman001
Member since 2007 • 874 Posts

Yeah I think Gta 4 is pretty overrated

Avatar image for RichieRulzOOYEH
RichieRulzOOYEH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 RichieRulzOOYEH

the developers clearly decided to forego numerous fun eggs and activities for next gen graphics and realism which was disappointing - did anyone find 100% difficult, or for that matter fun? of course not - cuz theres nothing frickin to it! NO SUBSTANCE! i LOVED the graphics and the attention to detail and i liked the story but the blunt ending and lack of challenging, plentiful and enjoyable stuff to do in Liberty City have buried its playability compared to the excellence of SA and VC. Why have i now to get nostalgic to fodly discuss Grand Theft Auto? something i thought would never happen.