Fable Vs Oblivion?

• 101 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

RaseshX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 RaseshX
Member since 2008 • 404 Posts

Hey Everyone.

I was recently talking to my friend about the great game fable in which was released for Xbox. He then stated that 'Oblivion' was better than it, Obliviously the graphics will be, as it's for Xbox 360/PS3, but the actual game-play? Share your thoughts in which YOU think is better. Thanks :D.

Avatar image for Redick_is_Magic
Redick_is_Magic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Redick_is_Magic
Member since 2006 • 1778 Posts
oblivion is the best game on the 360 and if u dont have it u should get it now
RealKilla_789

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

#3 RealKilla_789
Member since 2007 • 3669 Posts
i say fable since i never played oblivion. lol. fable was such a great game. that game got me started on RPG's
RaseshX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 RaseshX

oblivion is the best game on the 360 and if u dont have it u should get it nowRedick_is_Magic

Yah, people said I should get it, But I'm asking to people who have played both games, and share which games is better.

Dont get me wrong, Iv'e played Oblivion for like an hour :P, but thinks it's a great game.

NumenDivinum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 NumenDivinum
Member since 2007 • 889 Posts
Oblivion's story was generic and lifeless, the level scaling made leveling useless, the fast travel and compass made everything easy as hell to find and all the quest's were "Go to objective A, kill monster B and/or bring back item B." with little to no variation. Of course they mixed that up a bit with Shivering Isles, but the level scaling was so game defeating that after fully completing Oblivion I just couldn't stomach it.

Fable had a generic story too, but at least it had charm. It was far too linear, didn't have the family features in it like had been suggested, and it was a lot more stylistic then Oblivion so while Oblivion certainly has better graphics I think Fable was a lot more fun to look at. Even the backgrounds at time had an oustanding amount of detail to them.

Both games are shallow RPG's at best. Fable get's the nudge in my opinion simply because the experience was more memorable in my opinion.
Bane_v2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6 Bane_v2
Member since 2003 • 6104 Posts
I played through Fable three times and loved it. I spent 500 hours in Oblivion though and it's my current #1 game so I'm going to have to say Oblivion. Fable 2 looks to be making a determined run at my #1 spot and I can only hope it'll be good enough to take it.
RaseshX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 RaseshX

Oblivion's story was generic and lifeless, the level scaling made leveling useless, the fast travel and compass made everything easy as hell to find and all the quest's were "Go to objective A, kill monster B and/or bring back item B." with little to no variation. Of course they mixed that up a bit with Shivering Isles, but the level scaling was so game defeating that after fully completing Oblivion I just couldn't stomach it.

Fable had a generic story too, but at least it had charm. It was far too linear, didn't have the family features in it like had been suggested, and it was a lot more stylistic then Oblivion so while Oblivion certainly has better graphics I think Fable was a lot more fun to look at. Even the backgrounds at time had an oustanding amount of detail to them.

Both games are shallow RPG's at best. Fable get's the nudge in my opinion simply because the experience was more memorable in my opinion.
NumenDivinum

You know , i have a friend in which i told about this. And he said pretty much EXACTLY what you said :p.

soulscales

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 soulscales
Member since 2008 • 36 Posts
i think there both equal but we will see with the new fable 2 coming out!!!!!!!!
RaseshX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 RaseshX
Yah, Speaking abou tthe new fable - does anyone have any idea when it's coming out? I'm a huge fan of fable, and i want to preorder it , even if it's MONTHS before the release date :p.
RealKilla_789

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

#10 RealKilla_789
Member since 2007 • 3669 Posts

Yah, Speaking abou tthe new fable - does anyone have any idea when it's coming out? I'm a huge fan of fable, and i want to preorder it , even if it's MONTHS before the release date :p.RaseshX

sometime in 2008. im predicting Q3 or Q4

Bane_v2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#11 Bane_v2
Member since 2003 • 6104 Posts
The Molynator said Fable 2 would come out more than likely close to a holiday 2008 in a video on GameTrailers.
Smoke89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#12 Smoke89
Member since 2003 • 3575 Posts
Fable wasn't nearly as deep as it was said to be before release. It really was a shallow RPG and extremely short. Oblivion's size, depth, freedom and story all overpower Fable's. Fallout 3 is gonna beat oblivion tho
arab_prince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#13 arab_prince
Member since 2005 • 4089 Posts

I played Oblivion first, so maybe thats why I was dissappointed with Fable. I was told it was amazing and the best RPG ever, but I didn't see it. You were restricted to where you could go, by which I mean the paths and what not. It felt like there were very tight boundaries. It was still a fun game dont get me wrong, but I also thought the game was quite shallow. Just the wholle marriage and what not, there was no point.

They were both great RPGs. Its just Oblivion is soo amazing that nothing can top it. It does everything right. It has anything you coluld ever want, from picklocking, to murdering, to getting chased by the police, to entering a parallel Hell-universe. you MUST play this game. Coming from a guy that has played both.

crawdad111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 crawdad111
Member since 2003 • 53 Posts

i say fable since i never played oblivion. lol. fable was such a great game. that game got me started on RPG'sRealKilla_789

Fable got you started on RPG's, and you haven't played oblivion. That's rich

aequitas25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 aequitas25
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts

Fable was a great game

However I enjoy Oblivion more because of all the extra content, items, quests, etc. also Fable seemed a little more limited than Oblivion kind of like Mass Effect is, but Fable 2 looks like it has alot of potential

CrazyFanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 CrazyFanboy
Member since 2005 • 639 Posts
Oblivion put me to sleep.
RaseshX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 RaseshX

Thanks for sharing your thoughs :P.

Anyone else :D?

a55a55inx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#18 a55a55inx
Member since 2004 • 4188 Posts
i felt that Oblivion was the better game... i liked Fable also, but it wasn't as addictive as Oblivion was...
RaseshX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 RaseshX

Fair enough.

But I tjought, with all the amount of Gameplay oblivion offers- and people say it's very repetitive , surely it will get a bit boring somtimes.

Where as Fable, althought i had that 'i give up' moments i'd still play it, and it's a very good game!

gamerfreak1991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 gamerfreak1991
Member since 2005 • 2501 Posts
I got Fable on the Xbox when it was first released back in the day, I ended up trading it back in like 2 days later. I don't know why I just didn't like Fable, it didn't appeal to me. Oblivion on the other hand I absolutely love! Its such an addicting game, I recently just got back into it. So my vote goes for Oblivion.
Trickshot771

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Trickshot771
Member since 2005 • 12686 Posts
You can't compare a game that's out to a game that isn't out yet. Oblivion will probably be better, though.
RaseshX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 RaseshX

You can't compare a game that's out to a game that isn't out yet. Oblivion will probably be better, though.Trickshot771
What are you talking about? I'm saying Fable ONE, not TWO.

Hence why the tital is FABLE vs Oblivion , not Fable 2 Vs Oblivion..

ligerz76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#23 ligerz76
Member since 2007 • 2022 Posts
Oblivion is the best game ever created....
RaseshX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 RaseshX
Keep posting people ;D.
DCFennell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 DCFennell
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts

no contest, fable walks all over oblivion.. oblivion is boring repetetive and an rpg shuldnt be in first person.. fable hands down.

1st in line for fable 2 :P

RaseshX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 RaseshX

no contest, fable walks all over oblivion.. oblivion is boring repetetive and an rpg shuldnt be in first person.. fable hands down.

DCFennell
Agreed :p.
ion383

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#27 ion383
Member since 2006 • 30 Posts

Id have to say oblivion because its like having a second life. Sure that sounds stupid but you really can do alot of things in that game. You can do even more in Oblivion if you have it for the PC because of mods and stuff

Felix77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Felix77
Member since 2004 • 1713 Posts
Oblivion is incredibly easy due to the compass but it is still a great game nonetheless. Fable is great as well but linear as hell. You are always fenced in to one path. If you want more bang for your buck, I would go with Oblivion just because there is so much exploring to do and many quests. Fable is far too short to make it worth it, however I suppose the price has gone down so maybe you should get both. Oh and get Fable: The Lost Chapters, it extends the game time a little bit.
paul52181

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 paul52181
Member since 2004 • 1051 Posts

In my opinion, Fable. I loved Fable, the gameplay, story, combat, magic, characters, and I really loved the music. I can't wait for Fable 2! It's just more my type of RPG. I absolutely hated Oblivion, it was a complete borefest, the voice work was crap, the combat was crap, and every dungeon or cave looked exactly the same. Total freakin snoozefest in my opinion. And I also wasn't going to invest 100+ hours in that.

Avatar image for RenegadePatriot
RenegadePatriot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 RenegadePatriot
Member since 2007 • 20815 Posts
Oblivion and Fable both are pretty equal in my eyes but Fable edges out Oblivion since Fable gives you more choices in what you can do.
Trickshot771

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Trickshot771
Member since 2005 • 12686 Posts

[QUOTE="Trickshot771"]You can't compare a game that's out to a game that isn't out yet. Oblivion will probably be better, though.RaseshX

What are you talking about? I'm saying Fable ONE, not TWO.

Hence why the tital is FABLE vs Oblivion , not Fable 2 Vs Oblivion..

Well I'd just assume that you'd be talking about a game for the 360, not a game for the Xbox, being that this is the 360 forum.

Oblivion destroys the first fable in every aspect.

amozarte

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#32 amozarte
Member since 2008 • 1536 Posts

I think the original Fable and Oblivion are very similar in terms of concept. Sure, there were plenty of differences but on the whole I think it comes down to a question of style. Fable had more of a jokey, light-hearted flare while Oblivion was more serious and dramatic.

I'd have to say that Oblivion beats out Fable, but the margin of victory comes purely from the advancements allowed from one console to the next. I absolutely expect Fable 2 to take the next step forward and leave Fable and Oblivion behind.

OfficialBed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 OfficialBed
Member since 2005 • 17668 Posts
i like them both
DavidConner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 DavidConner
Member since 2004 • 25 Posts
If you're a die-hard, old-school RPG fan perhaps Fable will be more to your liking, since Oblivion sacrificed a lot of the old-school RPG elements to make the game more appealing to the masses. Though both games are similar, it is a bit like comparing apples to oranges. Fable has greater style, humor and deeper character choices, whereas Oblivion has greater depth, many more quests, greater submersion (love that ginormous sandbox!) and incredible graphics and atmosphere.
great_rulo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 great_rulo
Member since 2007 • 2838 Posts

DCFennell

Well you have an image of young Link right? kids dont know anything about games, although i loved Fable when i played it like 4 years ago, Oblivion is just so much, much, much better, the story is really well done, theres hundreds of books in the game that explain it to you, the gameplay is just so great and the leveling system is just GOTY, thats why it got a 9.5 in every respected review and Fable got a 8.0, Oblivion is everything that Fable promised and couldnt accomplish.

Elraptor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#36 Elraptor
Member since 2004 • 30966 Posts
Oblivion was incredibly addictive for me . . . and to the poster who said it was like a second life: you're right, in a slightly exaggerated way. :P I didn't play it as much as many people, but when I did I could spend the whole day there if it weren't for school.
ACMCEAR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 ACMCEAR
Member since 2007 • 190 Posts

I think the original Fable and Oblivion are very similar in terms of concept. Sure, there were plenty of differences but on the whole I think it comes down to a question of style. Fable had more of a jokey, light-hearted flare while Oblivion was more serious and dramatic.

I'd have to say that Oblivion beats out Fable, but the margin of victory comes purely from the advancements allowed from one console to the next. I absolutely expect Fable 2 to take the next step forward and leave Fable and Oblivion behind.

amozarte

Word dude, exactly what i was thinking

MVfalcons83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#38 MVfalcons83
Member since 2007 • 3515 Posts
oblivion is the best game ive ever played
JeffAhola112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 JeffAhola112
Member since 2003 • 65 Posts
Oblivion in my opinion was better, I think both were great but Oblivion is one of the greatest games I have ever played. Look out for Fallout 3, that should take over both games in the number one slot...
great_rulo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 great_rulo
Member since 2007 • 2838 Posts

In my opinion, Fable. I loved Fable, the gameplay, story, combat, magic, characters, and I really loved the music. I can't wait for Fable 2! It's just more my type of RPG. I absolutely hated Oblivion, it was a complete borefest, the voice work was crap, the combat was crap, and every dungeon or cave looked exactly the same. Total freakin snoozefest in my opinion. And I also wasn't going to invest 100+ hours in that.

paul52181

All the thing's you just said you hate are the most praised by reviewers, you sure didnt even play for more than 5 hours did you? geez i played it for 200 hours and i didnt even got bored.

Fable was good but the only great thing about it was the story and the argument, but the level design, enemies designs, gameplay, replay value and different quests were just crap.

painpas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#41 painpas
Member since 2003 • 354 Posts

Fable costs like $10 in bargain bins. I bought haven't beat it yet but as was stated its got a charming factor that oblivion lacks. However I logged over 100hours in Oblivion and know that it is one of the most immersive games ever made. There need to be more NPC's roaming around in future iterations but they have realy did a great job in creating a great atmosphere with great music voiceacting. It good to just wander around and take in the sights. Fable was just too much loading and I didn't feel as connected because I did not customize my character at all. Fable2 so far is on course to dethrone Oblivion but will wait and see.

RaseshX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 RaseshX

Thank you for your comments :).

Keep On Posting people :D.

bwooduhs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#43 bwooduhs
Member since 2007 • 102 Posts
ive played both and personally oblivion is the better game for the scope and they tried a lot of new things, for example the leveling system.
Mearik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Mearik
Member since 2008 • 322 Posts

I think i will have to pic Fable greatly on camera and controls. I like the third person thing and it was easy....saying that, it was Too Easy. I only rented Oblivion and it was great just like Morrowwind and everything else, story is second to none and being a clepto is fun untill you try to sell something back to the owner by accident. In Morrowwind you could make it into a 3rd person camera angle but it made the game practicly unplayable.

If there is a feature i would like is the 3rd person camer (except for when shooting arrows), I may look like an idiot and there may be an option but with my experience i never found it.

If there is a way to make it 3rd person and actually play at the same quality as first then i would get in my car right now and go buy the GOTY Editon

k2theswiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#45 k2theswiss
Member since 2007 • 16599 Posts
if you like fable you like oblivion
lil_d_mack_314

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 lil_d_mack_314
Member since 2006 • 13969 Posts
fable is a sweet game but it doesnt beat oblivion let alone morrowind III
Bladefighter23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Bladefighter23
Member since 2005 • 1201 Posts
I prefer Fable. Oblivion has too much stuff to do, I feel lost half the time I play it.
bluem00se

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 bluem00se
Member since 2005 • 2185 Posts
Oblivion is a much longest lasting game than Fable was, because it's so open ended and not as much story-oriented than Fable. But I think Fable is actually a more fun game for me. The combat and magic systems are deeper, more diverse, and look cooler, the armor and weapons are more stylized, the quests were more fun, you could interact to a large degree with the townspeople, etc. (though you could in Oblivion, you couldn't get married or lead a shopkeeper out of town, run back, steal all his stuff, and sell back to him, multiple times! :P)
Quiksilver0519

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Quiksilver0519
Member since 2007 • 402 Posts
I've played both, and that's a hard choice. I can't pick, just get both. :)
RaseshX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 RaseshX

Can I just make this clear people :P!

I'm not looking to buy Oblivion - Iv'e already bought Oblivion but i'm saying which one is better out of the two.