Do you research games before you buy them, or do you buy them on impulse?

• 84 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Python_2k9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Python_2k9
Member since 2009 • 112 Posts
I was wondering who here researches a game before they buy it, (i.e. read reviews, etc.) Or do you just go out and buy a game without reading ANYTHING about it. I researched Assassin's Creed before I got it, and to be honest, I read alot of relatively negative reviews. I almost didn't buy it. I did and found out not all reviews are true. I want to see how many people think before buying a game, and how many people just buy it on impulse.
jrabbit99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#2 jrabbit99
Member since 2007 • 2836 Posts
i always wait to see what the reviews are, unless I know that it can't possibly be bad (Halo 3 or CoD 4)
Avatar image for deactivated-5d4b602d21842
deactivated-5d4b602d21842

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#3 deactivated-5d4b602d21842
Member since 2006 • 5036 Posts

I almost always do research first.

spencer_119

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 spencer_119
Member since 2004 • 1027 Posts

always research before buying

Trogeton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

#5 Trogeton
Member since 2005 • 2776 Posts

yes always, or just download and play the demo if available

mikeyboygts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 mikeyboygts
Member since 2009 • 53 Posts

I never buy on impulse. I wait to get a general idea of the overall reviews and word of mouth before I buy any game. There is too much crap out there to just randomly pick a game off the shelf.

Palantas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#7 Palantas
Member since 2002 • 15329 Posts

I read enough previews and watch enough developer diaries, that I usually have a pretty good idea of what a game's going to be without reading the review. To answer your question, I almost always read reviews before buying. The only exception is with a game that I absolutely know I'm going to like, and I don't want even the slightest spoilers (Example: Mass Effect). All this applies to full-price games. When I'm at my game store, and I see used games under $20, then I'll buy on impulse.

ForsakenWicked

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#8 ForsakenWicked
Member since 2008 • 3745 Posts
I usually do some research unless its a game that can't fail (like SF4).
craigalan23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 craigalan23
Member since 2006 • 15879 Posts

I research them because who wants to waste their money on a blind guess? I did that once last gen because it looked like SW:BF gameplay wise but man it was so mediocre it was pathetic. I only did that when i was younger and had no real money sense.

Godofnerdyness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Godofnerdyness
Member since 2007 • 3248 Posts

Usually, yes. I don't like to go buy a game without knowing anything about it.

ShadyPropGuy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 ShadyPropGuy
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts
I used to just buy on impulse, but then i learned the hard way *cough star wars force unleashed cough*
Darkslayer16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Darkslayer16
Member since 2006 • 3619 Posts

I just buy whatever I'm interested in. I don't agree with 90% of reviews any way so why bother researching.

vashkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 135

User Lists: 25

#13 vashkey
Member since 2005 • 33781 Posts
Both. But most of the time I research. I'll buy on impulse some times just for the surprise, but I normally impulse buy cheap games.
axeman87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#14 axeman87
Member since 2006 • 999 Posts

I read enough previews and watch enough developer diaries, that I usually have a pretty good idea of what a game's going to be without reading the review. To answer your question, I almost always read reviews before buying. The only exception is with a game that I absolutely know I'm going to like, and I don't want even the slightest spoilers (Example: Mass Effect). All this applies to full-price games. When I'm at my game store, and I see used games under $20, then I'll buy on impulse.

Palantas

True that. I go one better and rent EVERY new game before buying it. With the VERY rare exceptions, like GeOW2, but that only happens like... once every 3 years, for most its "Try Before You Buy". Unless the days comes when I win the lotto this will never change.

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#15 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

always research before buying

spencer_119

chaoscougar1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#16 chaoscougar1
Member since 2005 • 37603 Posts
research all the way, i made the impulse decision when i was young and payed the price
_Dez_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 _Dez_
Member since 2006 • 2398 Posts

I read enough of people's impressions and game reviews to give me a good idea of what I might be interested in, and I'm usually pretty satisfied with most of my game purchases. Games $20 and under lean more towards the "impulse" category. I can never bring myself to buy any game on impulse if it's full price.

BradHummr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#18 BradHummr
Member since 2005 • 1096 Posts
I'm usually really good at knowing what I will like in games. So previews may even be enough for me. I usually read reviews for any game I'm interested in, even ones I'm not interested in! However, cheap games or bargain bin sales or something I will impulse buy on. Perfect example actually. :P Yesterday Wal-Mart had like a bargain bin bargain so I bought Conan for $10. Came back home and read up on it and found out it actually got some decent scores. Haven't tried it yet though, but soemtime soon....
XFilthX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 XFilthX
Member since 2006 • 498 Posts

I tend to play the demos (if available) before making final decisions.

But some games, I will buy regardless (i.e. Halo, Gears Of War, Dead or Alive, Devil May Cry, Resident Evil, etc.)

delta4062

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 delta4062
Member since 2007 • 895 Posts
Sometimes researching isnt always the best choice i bought the Orange Box on impulse...and i hate EVERYTHING on it except for TF2
chaoscougar1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 chaoscougar1
Sometimes researching isnt always the best choice i bought the Orange Box on impulse...and i hate EVERYTHING on it except for TF2delta4062
how can you hate portal?
OfficialBed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 OfficialBed
Member since 2005 • 17668 Posts

I do both really. Sometimes I research and sometimes I buy on impulse.

delta4062

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 delta4062
[QUOTE="delta4062"]Sometimes researching isnt always the best choice i bought the Orange Box on impulse...and i hate EVERYTHING on it except for TF2chaoscougar1
how can you hate portal?

because its as overhyped and BORING as HL2
craigalan23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 craigalan23

[QUOTE="chaoscougar1"][QUOTE="delta4062"]Sometimes researching isnt always the best choice i bought the Orange Box on impulse...and i hate EVERYTHING on it except for TF2delta4062
how can you hate portal?

I hate how people blame a game for being hyped. How can that hurt a game? Why don't you.. Let me get you ready for it.. Not fall for it. I've never hyped a game and guess what i've never bought one game i didn't enjoy.

yokofox33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#25 yokofox33
Member since 2004 • 30775 Posts

I tend to do the research, but I'll admit I've been blinded by hype before. For the most part though I make informed decisions.

chaoscougar1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 chaoscougar1

[QUOTE="delta4062"][QUOTE="chaoscougar1"] how can you hate portal?craigalan23

I hate how people blame a game for being hyped. How can that hurt a game? Why don't you.. Let me get you ready for it.. Not fall for it. I've never hyped a game and guess what i've never bought one game i didn't enjoy.

exactly, people hyping the game doesnt effect you unless u 'overhype' it as well, dont blame other people because it didnt live up to YOUR expectations
RavageGT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 RavageGT
Member since 2008 • 989 Posts

I do a little of both,

recent impulse games: Gears of War 2, Fable 2, Far Cry 2, Street Fighter 4

researched games: Fallout 3, Left 4 Dead, Halo Wars, and NHL 09, CoD WaW, and Empire: Total War

regretted impulse game: Viva Pinata: Trouble in Paradise. I never played the first one, so I thought I would get this one, but it I don't like it at all.

delta4062

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 delta4062
[QUOTE="chaoscougar1"][QUOTE="craigalan23"]

how can you hate portal?delta4062

perhaps you didnt see the part were i said BORING?
colejd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#29 colejd
Member since 2007 • 506 Posts

Most of the time i do some research on a game before I buy it, but there are times that I just buy a game on impulse just because I'm tired of playing the same games that I have and just go out and buy a new one just to play something different.

craigalan23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 craigalan23

[QUOTE="chaoscougar1"][QUOTE="craigalan23"] because its as overhyped and BORING as HL2delta4062

Oh no that's your opinion i was just stating that i see no reason for hyping to be any reason to hate a game. You gave two reasons why you didn't like it and i only disagreed with your first reason.

delta4062

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 delta4062
[QUOTE="craigalan23"]

[QUOTE="delta4062"][QUOTE="chaoscougar1"]

Oh no that's your opinion i was just stating that i see no reason for hyping to be any reason to hate a game. You gave two reasons why you didn't like it and i only disagreed with your first reason.

i wasnt hyped excatly but everyone saying its the best FPS ever and im like...well should be good i hated that game
Avatar image for deactivated-60a353d568bd7
deactivated-60a353d568bd7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 deactivated-60a353d568bd7
Member since 2006 • 1358 Posts
I used to just buy games I thought I wanted and most of the time it worked really well - I ended up with the game I thought I was going to get. However, in more recent times I've been reading reviews. This, on average, has NOT worked for me. Good games always get good reviews but a lot of very mediocre, skin deep, flashy, no substance games, end up with good reviews. I'd call 8.5/10 a good review and plenty of games get this or higher from Gamespot but are actually junk (in my humble opinion). E.g.'s include Fable 2, FarCry 2, F.E.A.R. On the flipside, games that I have absolutely loved have been given really crappy reviews by Gamespot: Stronghold 2, Dark Messiah Might & Magic. So in conclusion, my new modus operandi will be to wait a few months on any game that isn't one that I'm absolutely going to get. For example, I will pick up CoD MW2 on the day it comes out because I have no doubt I'll love it and will want to be playing it online from day 1. I'll also pick up StarCraft Wing of Liberty because I want to be on battle.net from day 1. But for pretty anything else I can think of, I'm waiting for the community to generate some threads on its shortcomings! I wish I could go back in time and never have to play FarCry 2 let alone buy it!?
-eddy-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 -eddy-
Member since 2006 • 11443 Posts
I research. The only games I've bought by semi-impulse have been Forza 2 and Gears 1 when I got my 360. Both turned out great. :)
doug789

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 doug789
Member since 2008 • 125 Posts

mainly do a bit of research on a game. i watch/read reviews just to see what the game is about, but dont really pay much attention to scores these days. dont really buy on impulse, unless at a sale where the game is a steal for that price.

jackelzx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 jackelzx
Member since 2008 • 820 Posts

well at the moment i have bought plenty of games i researched before and plenty i got randomly on the day

fallout 3, i never really look at much before i got it, same with halo3 and street fighter 4i got them with out knowing much about them and they are great games.

wavey_gravey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 wavey_gravey
Member since 2007 • 11155 Posts
A mixture of both for me. If it a gaming genre I haven't tried before then I will research, for example I am not a big RPG player so I researched Mass Effect before asking for it for Christmas one year. I wasn't disappointed, then other times I will just make an impulse purchase such as my recent purchase of SEGA Ultimate collection.
Floppy_Jim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#38 Floppy_Jim
Member since 2007 • 25931 Posts
No, I always like to know what I'm buying.
jennylance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 jennylance
Member since 2008 • 63 Posts

i always wait for the review .. is it gud?? worth it.. or just boring.. wutever it is.. its still the money u spend..

Nintendo_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#40 Nintendo_Man
Member since 2003 • 19733 Posts

I have now started borrowing games so this will certainly help make game decisions easier.

Iraqi_Gangster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#41 Iraqi_Gangster
Member since 2008 • 503 Posts
I usually research before buying but sometimes I buy games on impulse. The only games I bought on impulse were GoW, GoW 2, Halo Wars and Ninja Blade.
rp108

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 57

#42 rp108
Member since 2008 • 1743 Posts

I usually wait until reviews are out but I do buy games without researching. If I buy a game I don't like I will sell it on Amazon or Ebay. Usually only lose $10 to $20 which means I am still getting more than a trade in. But I like collecting games so has to be a game I really dislike to get rid of it.

Recontrooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Recontrooper
Member since 2009 • 1012 Posts
I research ussualy
FiSTfromHell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 FiSTfromHell
Member since 2008 • 774 Posts

I research games first. I read anything I can, and ask around. I compare the pros and cons to make a wise decision regarding what I know I prefer and what I can look past about the game in question. I did buy The Darkness on impulse, however. That was one of the best games I've played in recent years. That goes to show you sometime spontaneity can benefit you in decision making.

RealKilla_789

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

#45 RealKilla_789
Member since 2007 • 3669 Posts

research always. thats y im on this website

reubendarosa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 reubendarosa
Member since 2005 • 2727 Posts
I've always made sure the game I go buy is decent, Unless I'm a loyal fan to the series, Then I don't really care. Many of my friends usually go out and buy a game they've never heard of and the majority of times is that they dislike the game. Better to just do your research!
def_mode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 def_mode
Member since 2005 • 4237 Posts

in times like this, u might wanna check for reviews before buying. u know games are expensive nowadays and u may want to get the most out of ur money.

Flamecommando

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#48 Flamecommando
Member since 2003 • 11634 Posts

For most games yes.

vibrantdesign

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 vibrantdesign
Member since 2008 • 530 Posts

I usually do research before I buy a game, $60 bucks is expensive. If I am unsure, I will rent a game first.

Ang3l_of_Ruin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Ang3l_of_Ruin
Member since 2008 • 155 Posts
A little Research. If im a fan of the series then i will buy it beacause i will like it no matter what. If i buy a game im new to it is only after extensive research to see if its worth my precious moneys.