do you buy a game without good online play?

• 57 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

duvalbosnian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 duvalbosnian
Member since 2009 • 111 Posts

to me i sse no point in buying a game that doesnt have a good online play

the only types of games i buy is halo 3 gears nba and cod games that i can play for months and months

so do any of you buy games that dont have online play?

and if you do what are those games?

my_mortal_coil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 my_mortal_coil
Member since 2009 • 2839 Posts

I have always liked a good multiplayer game. I remember tearin it UP for hours and hours on the OG games like Tribes and Unreal Tournament. The fact that your playing with real people makes it SO much funner.

Having said that I have always liked single player affairs just as much. I think in order to play a game by yourself it needs to be really good. Good RPGs include Oblivion, Fallout 3, Tales of Vesperia, Lost Odyssy. Don't know how much you like RPGs though.

Bioshock is a single player game and it's excellent. Grand Theft Auto 4 will take you a while to complete, it's a great game but it's multiplayer kinda sucks. Also, the new GH or RB music games can eat up days and they HAVE online multiplayer but sometimes it's not so fun, especially when they keep dropping on you.

Umm, racing games have a LOT of replay value like Forza 2 or Burnout. It just depends but I wouldn't knock a game just because it doesn't have online multi or it's not a major factor.

manhunt92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#3 manhunt92
Member since 2007 • 291 Posts
sure, since I don't pay xbox live xD so all my games lack online
btiplling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 btiplling
Member since 2009 • 200 Posts

Yes, it's called Mass Effect. Or Assassin Creed, or Fallout 3. etc!

10thwonder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 10thwonder
Member since 2009 • 2031 Posts

Banjo Kazooie N&B and Kameo.

i-rock-socks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6 i-rock-socks
Member since 2007 • 3826 Posts

yes

bcjkdem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 bcjkdem
Member since 2008 • 178 Posts
Yeah, mostly RPGs though. But, then again, that is pretty much the only games that don't have MP. But, YES, for sure.
toenip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#8 toenip
Member since 2006 • 375 Posts
I buy games that i want, if the game just has single player i am fine with that i dont not buy i game if it does not have MP, personally i see MP i added bonus.
Avatar image for GG-raaaaiiiiiii
GG-raaaaiiiiiii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#9 GG-raaaaiiiiiii
Member since 2009 • 65 Posts
Fallout 3 was an instant-buy. There's no need for MP when a game is that good to begin with. It does get you wondering what it would be like if there was some sort of MP for it...
rp108

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 57

#10 rp108
Member since 2008 • 1743 Posts

I love playing online, most of my gaming time is spent doing that. But, I do buy single player games. Right now I am playing The Last Remnant. Really starting to get into RPGs.

chugachea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 chugachea
Member since 2008 • 736 Posts

Fallout 3, Oblivion, Last Remnent, Bioshock, Tales of vesparia, asassins creed, and i know theres more i just don't feel like looking at all my games.

Magicmaster-E

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#12 Magicmaster-E
Member since 2004 • 788 Posts

I dont have wireless in my house, nor is my router anywhere near my 360. Therefore online play does not make a large impact in my game choices, if the game is good, chances are I will buy it. For intsance, I am a HUGE fan of Halo, I knew I was going to buy Halo2 even though I did not have Xbox live.

2pac_makaveli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 2pac_makaveli
Member since 2008 • 1681 Posts
it seems with xobx 1 all i did was buy single player games, but now it has to be a really good single player for me to even consider buying. otherwise multiplayer is where my money goes
PlasmaBeam44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#14 PlasmaBeam44
Member since 2007 • 9052 Posts

I buy games for the single player. Multiplayer is always an afterthought for me but if I enjoy the multiplayer then I'll play it. I really love COD4's online and it's the only online game that I play on a regular basis.

OfficialBed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 OfficialBed
Member since 2005 • 17668 Posts

I sure do. Multiplayer isn't everything to me.

Snakewiseman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Snakewiseman
Member since 2009 • 1287 Posts
now a days it is dumb not to buy a game with good online play. you can beat a game in under 12 hours and then you have online matches that are infintite such as call of duty world at war and halo and the online is more fun then the actual game itself. Xbox 360 is awesome for onlinebut for a monthly price. I have a ps3 and most games dont have a good online match ex metal gear 4. the plus to ps3 is that its free online but you can only play one player from your system unlike xbox 360 that allows you to play with guests, worth the money if you have brothers or friends.
sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#17 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

I don't care about online i'm all about single player.

Nocturnal15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Nocturnal15
Member since 2006 • 1476 Posts

The fact that you listed Gears as one of the online greats kills your credibility. Another thing, I hate how people bash single player games for not having some sort of online mode within it. It's called SINGLEPLAYER for a reason. ~_~

Alizerothree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 48

#19 Alizerothree
Member since 2008 • 1043 Posts
I just can't imagine Dead Space with online capabilities.
ramyar_1987

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 ramyar_1987
Member since 2006 • 31 Posts

I don't even have xbox live. There are alot of excellent single player games.

drgrady

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#21 drgrady
Member since 2005 • 513 Posts

The single-player modes are much more important to me than anything online. I never got live until I upgraded to the 360, so all of my old xbox games I got just for single-player and splitscreen coop modes. Even now that I have Live, most RPGs are better off without wasting resources on multiplayer junk that I'll probably never use anyway.

As for shooters, I think all shooters have the potential to benefit from multiplayer modes, but since so many still can't seem to get it right, I am generally more annoyed than anything when I try to play online. For instance, FarCry 2 is a wonderful single player game, and with the map editor, it should be an incredible multiplayer game. Unfortunately, it can take over ten minutes to get into a game, and then the teams are often unbalanced with all the high-ranking players on one team due to team switching, and then the host can boot anyone at any time (which happens a lot more than it should). So I do not rely on multiplayer modes to determine whether or not I'll buy a game.

From the alternate perspective, I have never yet bought a game that is multiplayer only or that has a pretty lousy campaign just so I can play online.

freshwb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 freshwb
Member since 2009 • 363 Posts

I'm not going to buy a game unless it has decent online. I play single player games on my pc, and if a game comes out that isn't for pc I wait for it to drop in price. Only online games I buy right away except this upcoming final fantasy.

LOGIC: If you wait to buy an online game usually the online community goes down with the price. Buy a single player game after it drops in price and you get the same expierience just not as quick as those who pay full price.

HaDoKeN_NaTe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 HaDoKeN_NaTe
Member since 2005 • 1284 Posts

because i'm such a huge rpg fan i do...however as of late i haven't really...gears...killzone..CoD..tho i did buy The Last Remnant and i LOVE it..and i've been playing it almost everyday

Avatar image for NatendoWhisky64
NatendoWhisky64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#24 NatendoWhisky64
Member since 2008 • 1570 Posts

Im not even gonna state whats wrong with you saying that theres no point in non multiplayer games...

But, I think that there is a lot of value in non multiplayer games, and most if not all of them are pretty good. Devil May Cry 4, Fallout 3, Assassin's Creed, Mass Effect and Prince of Persia are just a few games that I can see sitting on my shelf that arent multiplayer, and are still great games.

yokofox33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#25 yokofox33
Member since 2004 • 30775 Posts

Most of my 360 games have no online at all. I prefer RPGs, so there's no online to speak of. I haven't played an online game in awhile.

Palantas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Palantas
Member since 2002 • 15329 Posts

I bought Oblivion and have spent quite a bit of time playing it, so yes.

Avatar image for Morning_Revival
Morning_Revival

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Morning_Revival
Member since 2008 • 3475 Posts
I dont really play online that much anymore.
Rasjr20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Rasjr20
Member since 2007 • 2166 Posts

I buy games for the single player. Multiplayer is always an afterthought for me but if I enjoy the multiplayer then I'll play it. I really love COD4's online and it's the only online game that I play on a regular basis.

PlasmaBeam44
Took the words out of my mouth
bobdood99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 bobdood99
Member since 2007 • 1862 Posts

only game i own with bad online is graw 2.. i got it recently has an awesome campaign

mohfrontline

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#30 mohfrontline
Member since 2007 • 5678 Posts
good online play these days is a necessity. The only time I will buy a game that doesn't have good online play is if it's an RPG or a genre that doesn't really require multiplayer. But for shooters, sports, and racing games, if it doesn't have good online MP then I won't buy it.
RendFou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 RendFou
Member since 2009 • 362 Posts

I just can't imagine Dead Space with online capabilities.Alizerothree

Traditional online multiplayer with CTF, Deathmatch, etc. no but two player co-op would have been cool. Maybe they'll incorporate it into the sequel.

Speaking of Dead Space, I heard they're making a rail shooter prequel of it for the wii this year. I don't know if that's going to work out so great...

nate_c-12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 nate_c-12
Member since 2008 • 3072 Posts
yea I bought Forza 2, Gears 1 & 2 for the single player only.
MissMorphine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 MissMorphine
Member since 2008 • 1156 Posts

yes i did. n yes i do all the time. some of the best games ive played are SP. Fallout 3, Star Ocean 3, Bully, Mass Effect, Ninja Gaiden 2, Devil May Cry 4 n the list goes on n on.

RendFou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 RendFou
Member since 2009 • 362 Posts

I usually buy games for the campaign primarily and if they have multiplayer that's great. Halo 3 and Left 4 Dead are really the only games that I bought mostly for the multiplayer and even with Halo I play campaign a lot.

darthgareth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 darthgareth
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts
Look, I'm your average Canadian gamer, and over here the only time you play online is if you're playing with someone you know IRL. I despise all online except for my igloo dwelling norm, and I buy a lot of single player games like Too Human, Bioshock, most old school games, Resident Evil, God of War, Halo Original, Devil May Cry, Panzer Dragoon Orta, Fallout 3 and countless others. All the multyplayer games I have like Halo 2, Halo 3, Gears of War, Gears of War 2, Call of Duty 4 and others I usually play on the single player modes, and only online with my actual friends. Now, I have a question for you; what appeal do you find from online multiplayer? (excluding Left 4 Dead of course, that one you NEED to play with people you actually know.)
Childeater10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#36 Childeater10
Member since 2006 • 3027 Posts

I always look for the games that have good SP. MP is really just an added bonus to me. The real gems out there are games like Bioshock and Mass Effect. Where the story really draws you in for hours.

Avatar image for Penalty_of_Hero
Penalty_of_Hero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#37 Penalty_of_Hero
Member since 2009 • 196 Posts

I buy game becasue of their gameplay, then if it has great mp in that's a bonus :)

raylewisnfl52

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 raylewisnfl52
Member since 2005 • 7146 Posts
only if the single player is long, i did though with gears of war 2 I was expecting to be good online
prehuang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#39 prehuang
Member since 2008 • 160 Posts

To speak the truth...I can't even afford to pay on XB-Live.

So every game I am buying it,I am pay for its Single play content and Splite-Screen content.Haha...

I wish I can test my skill on live or Download some DLC for my favor game like GTA4,Fallout3

craigalan23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 craigalan23
Member since 2006 • 15879 Posts

Of course an epic single player game is tons better than a multiplayer game in my opinion at least. Also i have well over thirty single player games if you're that interested to see what games are good in my opinion just simply look at my game collection.

Avenger1324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Avenger1324
Member since 2007 • 16344 Posts
Single player is much more important to me when picking a game than what the online is like.
my_mortal_coil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 my_mortal_coil
Member since 2009 • 2839 Posts

now a days it is dumb not to buy a game with good online play. you can beat a game in under 12 hours and then you have online matches that are infintite such as call of duty world at war and halo and the online is more fun then the actual game itself. Xbox 360 is awesome for onlinebut for a monthly price. I have a ps3 and most games dont have a good online match ex metal gear 4. the plus to ps3 is that its free online but you can only play one player from your system unlike xbox 360 that allows you to play with guests, worth the money if you have brothers or friends.Snakewiseman

No, it's not dumb. Online play IS good. It IS fun. But it also gets old REAL fast. I need more variety ...

iam2green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 iam2green
Member since 2007 • 13991 Posts
yes, i buy single player games. i don't care to much about a game that has single player or multiplayer. i would rather be single then mulitplayer.
K1LLR3175

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#44 K1LLR3175
Member since 2006 • 12734 Posts
I care more about a good long singleplayer than multiplayer so yes.
Star-Killer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Star-Killer
Member since 2008 • 1883 Posts

Yes, it's called Mass Effect. Or Assassin Creed, or Fallout 3. etc!

btiplling
Pretty much this
jarhead1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 jarhead1990
Member since 2005 • 2079 Posts

Depends on the type of game. If it's a shooter with lackluster multiplayer then it's probably not worth full price. (Unless it's intense like fallout or Bioshock)

chrizza92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 chrizza92
Member since 2009 • 29 Posts
Bioshock one of the best games of all time and my favorite game is single player and its great :)
Infinite-Zr0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Infinite-Zr0
Member since 2003 • 13284 Posts
Tales of Vespeia - No online play Star Ocean: TLH - No online play Mass Effect - No online play Oblivion - No online play Fallout 3 - No online paly ... well I think you get the point. But I'd be glad to give you a butt load of more quality games with little to no online play.
Snakewiseman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Snakewiseman
Member since 2009 • 1287 Posts
ya I know I wasnt excluding a games single player quality thats why I get interesed in a game in the first place. I just think that having a good multiplayer gets you more bang for your buck. also games can get old but good onlines have infinite possibility with new downloadable levels and scenarios. ex. cod waw and halo 3.
phoenix_hyuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 phoenix_hyuk
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts
im representing 360 gamer mag and theres quite a few games which are reviewed and not got good online play. im currently playing resident evil 5 its great i reckon and plus theres a new update coming out which enables online play for it, read it in the mag :P. but multiplayer online is great as it does last alot longer than single player games but there is really no point having an xbox without live is there or else it would be an ps2 or the first xbox.