Buying Xbox One. No internet, Can I still play games?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

xbox1tho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 xbox1tho
Member since 2014 • 25 Posts

I'm thinking of buying an Xbox one next month but first I need to know some things...

I know once you take the console straight out the box and connect it, you'll need internet connection to do the initial set up. But after that, can I play games offline without ever connecting to the internet? I've heard that once you put a new disk game into the console, you'll need to install the game first. Would I be able to install the games offline? Or would they need an internet connection to install the new games? Also, I've read that you don't need to connect the console to the internet every 24 hours to play games but at the same time I've read that you do need to connect it every 24 hours to play so I'm completely confused with the mixed answers. Also about release day patches for games, do the patches have to be downloaded in order to play the games? Or can I go ahead and play the games without downloading the patches?

Hopefully anyone can answer all my questions, it'll be really useful.

monson21502

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By monson21502
Member since 2009 • 8230 Posts

I don't think u need to have internet to install and play ur games . that was the plan but they changed it and released a system update to fix the change

raugutcon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By raugutcon
Member since 2014 • 5576 Posts

Yes you can play MOST games, all those games that do not need the console to be connected to internet so before you buy a game be shure that it dosn't need connection, games like Destiny or Titanfall only run with internet. Installation and has nothing to do with connection, the part of a game that needs installation is in the disc so what you need is the disc. The console does not need to be connected, many times to run a game it will need to be updated, but the update needed to run the game is also in the disc. Games sometimes need patches and sometimes not, for example AC Unity has been a disaster since it's launch, the game runs but you'll find that it may have mistakes, mistakes corrected by patches.

REforever101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4 REforever101
Member since 2005 • 11223 Posts

i think you NEED to connect at least once for the first update. At least, it forced me too

BattleSpectre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 BattleSpectre
Member since 2009 • 7989 Posts

I wouldn't recommend it, most games are releasing buggy and broken these days, for a smooth experience (patches etc.) I'd recommend an internet access.

sjlowrance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 sjlowrance
Member since 2004 • 26 Posts

please excuse me if this is in the wrong thread, this is one of my first posts. I too, will not have internet (for the foreseeable future) but I do have a mobile hot-spot with lots of data that serves as our internet. We live way out in the hill country in Texas and as fun as shooting cow patties is, I like to game every once in a while. I think the mobile hot-spot will suffice for downloading patches and extra content, but how many games coming out nowadays assume the gamer will have access to a high-speed connection? My game collection would need to consist of games that have a robust single player campaign and those seem to be dying out...

So am I just doomed to research XBO titles and weigh risk/reward for my possible purchase?

Should I even bother with the XBO or just give up and keep wastin' shells on bull****?

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22377 Posts

@BattleSpectre said:

I wouldn't recommend it, most games are releasing buggy and broken these days, for a smooth experience (patches etc.) I'd recommend an internet access.

Definitely.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38036 Posts

Games are installed from disc to HDD. You can play games offline unless its Destiny, Titanfall or these types of games.

BattleSpectre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By BattleSpectre
Member since 2009 • 7989 Posts

This thread is over 6 months old. Let's not bump old threads people, locked.