Bioshock is such a great game, what was everyone's complaint against it?

• 66 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

WileyCoyote315

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 WileyCoyote315
Member since 2008 • 320 Posts
I just finished Bioshock and thought it was a great game. Loved the story and overall game design. But it seems that half the people love it and half the people hate it. Just want to hear from people who thought it sucked. What was your reason?
mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#2 mitu123
Member since 2006 • 155290 Posts
I don't hate it, but if I remember correctly, didn't it have repetitive enemies and glitches?
craigalan23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 craigalan23
Member since 2006 • 15879 Posts
No reason to replay it is the most common complaint i hear. I replayed it twice and i enjoyed it a lot.
BioShockOwnz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4 BioShockOwnz
Member since 2006 • 52901 Posts
My complaints... the endings. I won't spoil it, but they were disappointing. Still an amazing game, though. Don't know how they'll make a sequel out of it...
orb_03_2006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 75

#5 orb_03_2006
Member since 2006 • 8494 Posts
I loved the game. one of my favorites. :D only complaint is that there's not really any replayibility. :P but overall, there wasn't any glitches or problmes. it was perfect :)
superluigi96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#6 superluigi96
Member since 2007 • 504 Posts
Don't get me wrong, I love BioShock. The environments are awesome, the story is cool and the characters are interesting. But combat gets really repetitive after a while, and once you realize there's no consequence to dying all strategy planning goes out the window.
kgansor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#7 kgansor
Member since 2006 • 1871 Posts

Don't get me wrong, I love BioShock. The environments are awesome, the story is cool and the characters are interesting. But combat gets really repetitive after a while, and once you realize there's no consequence to dying all strategy planning goes out the window.superluigi96

EXACTLY. That's what I thought and thats why I just couldnt replay the game. Beating the game was like a chore. It's a good game but it just wasnt for me i guess.. definatly not worth $60 and thats why im glad i only got it for $28 a few weeks after release.

kayn83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#8 kayn83
Member since 2004 • 2214 Posts

I played the game on the Xbox 360 and my only complaint was the gun combat was a little iffy. I felt aiming was difficult and made more so by the total lack of auto aim (at least I didn't think there was any auto aim in the game, iunno.) I just felt that the actual shooting mechanics worked better in games like Halo, Call of Duty, etc.

However that being said, everything else was awesome. The story, the atmosphere, the plasmids, etc. Really cool game.

gr8scott

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 gr8scott
Member since 2003 • 1008 Posts

I loved the game. one of my favorites. :D only complaint is that there's not really any replayibility. :P but overall, there wasn't any glitches or problmes. it was perfect :)orb_03_2006

Same here. It has almost no replay value. However, your first run through Rapture is so memorable. It's still a masterpiece in my eyes. Easily, my favorite FPS on the Xbox 360.

Legolas_Katarn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 1

#10 Legolas_Katarn
Member since 2003 • 15556 Posts
The actual gameplay (shooting and using powers) wasn't that fun, the enemies got boring fast (big daddies were cool but made for terrible and easy fights), bad endings, although I liked the story and world it didn't have what I like most in stories which is a lot of interesting characters and good character development, very little replay value, and it was not only short but you can't die which makes it end even faster.
lvbeto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 lvbeto
Member since 2003 • 25 Posts

I really enjoyed the game. The mini-games were repetative, the picture taking was blah. All in all though, it felt really good to upgrade your weapons and plasmids and finally feel like a badass and beat up some big daddies. Those suckers tore me up at the beginning of the game. I got my REVENGE later! Well worth finishing the game.

As for replayability, I've never been one to replay any game I own more than once so I am fine with one play-through.

WileyCoyote315

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 WileyCoyote315

Im on my 8th hour right now, and it looks like Im pretty close to finishing. I think I might finish this one in 10. But to be honest, these hours were better than any other fps experience so far. Its very different, really feels like playing through a story. Theres actually convincing characters in the game, alot of crazy people that fits perfectly in the world of rapture.

I might give this a second go if there were more plasmids in the game, but theres not, you can pretty much play through every playing style on the first go. This is probably what destoryed replay value for this game.

WileyCoyote315

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 WileyCoyote315

I really enjoyed the game. The mini-games were repetative, the picture taking was blah. All in all though, it felt really good to upgrade your weapons and plasmids and finally feel like a badass and beat up some big daddies. Those suckers tore me up at the beginning of the game. I got my REVENGE later! Well worth finishing the game.

As for replayability, I've never been one to replay any game I own more than once so I am fine with one play-through.

lvbeto

I actually loved taking pictures, I thought it was a good way to fill in the spaces in between gunplay and exploration. And its cool to discover what kind of bonuses you get from researching all your subjects. Too bad its only fun on the first try though, it'll probably feel tedious the second time around.

shutter_speed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 shutter_speed
Member since 2008 • 111 Posts
im still playing it, and i think its a really good game. very atmospheric. the medical pavillion is a great level - reminds me of the new house on haunted hill movie with geoffrey rush
krish117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 krish117
Member since 2007 • 366 Posts

I'm sorry .. This is new to me, I didnt even know people had complaints with that game! Didnt it win Tons of GOTY's?

BioShock is probably the most innovative and Dynamic game since Half Life 2. (IMO)

Paladin_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#16 Paladin_King
Member since 2008 • 11832 Posts
The only complaint about the game is how it devolves into a number of fetch quests. That said, that's hard complaint to make when you consider that the fetch quests really just hammer home the "would you kindly" idea of the game.
Fatality4u

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#17 Fatality4u
Member since 2003 • 3289 Posts
I didn't hate it either. I just didn't find it to be the gaming revolution that everyone else did. I found the combat situations repetitive and the use of plasmid nearly pointless.
stuarthanley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#18 stuarthanley
Member since 2003 • 902 Posts
This is also news to me. I purchased the game after reading 100% glowing praise for it and absolutely loved the game. I can't remember seeing anything negative with it really apart from the lack of replay value (which is the same in most story driven games)
Flashthought

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Flashthought
Member since 2008 • 31 Posts

For me, the game was a victim of it's own hype. I heard about how excellent and innovative it was, yet it's nothing more than a good FPS.

The Xbox 360 is positively swarming with good FPS, so it takes a great one to be able to stand out from the pack, and I can't figure out why people were saying Bioshock was of that quality.

The only thing that stood it apart I guess were it's graphical style (which admittedly was good) and the powers. It probably didnt help that I had just finished The Darkness, so I had just cleared a good FPS with powers, and wasn't truely up for playing another. But The Darkness also had a great story that made me keep playing even when my character was so powerful, the enemies in the game had no chance. Bioshock doesn't compete with that IMO.

So, I don't hate it, I just dont think it deserves any more hype than, say, Timeshift.

harley883C

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 harley883C
Member since 2005 • 244 Posts

It's a great game that was different from anything that was out at the time. But like many others said, the replayability is low and neither of the endings are satisfying. I've told myself and friends that i would never get rid of Bioshock. But i did. Why? Again the game isnt replayable like Oblivion or a Mass Effect.

gears90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 gears90
Member since 2008 • 626 Posts
I feel that people who do not like to take there time with games and just rush through them cant enjoy this game because they dont appreciate the depth. Bioshock is about going into rooms that you dont HAVE to go in and exploring around. You cant just follow your arrow and skip all those. Plus the combat is more than just pulling out your machine gun and going crazy, and while this gets the job done its more fun to explore with the different plasmids. I also found that some of the rooms you didnt have to go in had some of the scariest and coolest moments. For example one room in the medical pavilion you go exploring in. you find some kind of doctors office and see the shadow of someone but when you get there they are gone and as you go back they are behind you. All the time the lights are flickering and the room is flooded. So thats why people dont like this game.
gears90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 gears90
Member since 2008 • 626 Posts

[QUOTE="orb_03_2006"]I loved the game. one of my favorites. :D only complaint is that there's not really any replayibility. :P but overall, there wasn't any glitches or problmes. it was perfect :)gr8scott

Same here. It has almost no replay value. However, your first run through Rapture is so memorable. It's still a masterpiece in my eyes. Easily, my favorite FPS on the Xbox 360.

I thought it had great replayibility. Im on my third playthrough right now and still enjoying it.
chaoscougar1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#23 chaoscougar1
Member since 2005 • 37603 Posts
loved it, played it twice, better the second time cause i didnt waste any time confused (some secret areas stumped me for a while and i needed those tonics and plasmids!)
hiroyukiwu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#24 hiroyukiwu
Member since 2006 • 97 Posts
hated it, story wasn't as good as people make out, weapons were boring and the same ole enemies and is totally not replayable at ALL
Dave_442

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Dave_442
Member since 2008 • 405 Posts
I thought it was amazing, one of the better games Ive ever played. I dont see what many people didnt like about it and I have replayed it a good few times. One of my favorite games on 360.
Syrenz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Syrenz
Member since 2008 • 766 Posts

My complaints... the endings. I won't spoil it, but they were disappointing. Still an amazing game, though. Don't know how they'll make a sequel out of it...BioShockOwnz

I don't know nything about a sequel but they are making a Batman game using the bioshock engine I believe (Batman:Arkham Asylum)

Syrenz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Syrenz

I feel that people who do not like to take there time with games and just rush through them cant enjoy this game because they dont appreciate the depth. Bioshock is about going into rooms that you dont HAVE to go in and exploring around. You cant just follow your arrow and skip all those. Plus the combat is more than just pulling out your machine gun and going crazy, and while this gets the job done its more fun to explore with the different plasmids. I also found that some of the rooms you didnt have to go in had some of the scariest and coolest moments. For example one room in the medical pavilion you go exploring in. you find some kind of doctors office and see the shadow of someone but when you get there they are gone and as you go back they are behind you. All the time the lights are flickering and the room is flooded. So thats why people dont like this game.gears90

I did not like the flickering lights and zombies running at you when it's dark at all... then again I generally don't like any game with zombies

sammyjenkis898

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 sammyjenkis898
Member since 2007 • 28392 Posts
I think it's one of the best 360 games.
chex81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 61

#29 chex81
Member since 2004 • 3661 Posts
it was great fun, but definitely not GOTY in my books...still deserves an 8.5/10
Mau-Justice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Mau-Justice
Member since 2008 • 4907 Posts

hated it, story wasn't as good as people make out, weapons were boring and the same ole enemies and is totally not replayable at ALLhiroyukiwu

I don't see how you can say that. If you listen to the audio diaries and pay attention, there's so many twists you'd lose count.

stabbystabstab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 stabbystabstab
Member since 2008 • 1019 Posts
No complaints. Used ot love systemshock on the pc. so Bioshock was something i'd go for.
jbisco25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#32 jbisco25
Member since 2004 • 976 Posts
I love the game, but everybody has different opinion on it. that just the way the world is.
justin22corona

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 justin22corona
Member since 2008 • 66 Posts
i bought it and ended up taking it back. i didnt really see anything wrong with it, it just wasnt my type of game and i couldnt get into it. plus i was still playing oblivion alot, and that game took most of my gaming time
Staryoshi87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#34 Staryoshi87
Member since 2003 • 12760 Posts
I found it to be rather boring and pretentious. It's not as big as it acts.
makchady

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#35 makchady
Member since 2007 • 1290 Posts
i absolutely hated hacking, the final fight could have been done a lot better, and the enemies did get somewhat repetetive, but the overall game is easily in my top 3 favorites all-time, and is probably only second to oblivion. the story, atmosphere, and sheer amount of ways to kill people via mixing and matching plasmids and guns is awesome. the good FAR outweighs the bad in this game.
makchady

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#36 makchady
Member since 2007 • 1290 Posts

[QUOTE="hiroyukiwu"]hated it, story wasn't as good as people make out, weapons were boring and the same ole enemies and is totally not replayable at ALLMau-Justice

I don't see how you can say that. If you listen to the audio diaries and pay attention, there's so many twists you'd lose count.

i doubt he understands the grand scope of the bioshock story. he probably is merely looking at it and saying "yeah it had a single big twist...that was it" but there is a lot more to it

Elraptor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#37 Elraptor
Member since 2004 • 30966 Posts
I don't enjoy horror, and so the "scary" elements kept me a little uncomfortable (I only played the demo).
ethanpaige

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#38 ethanpaige
Member since 2005 • 13100 Posts
I didn't really have any complaints against it. Definitely up there on my list of top games, probably in my top 5.
4dry4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 4dry4n
Member since 2007 • 1411 Posts
It's a great game that could've been perfect. Notice that when you buy ammo's & oth. stuff that it doesn't say your bag is full. I always end up overstocking & leaving things in the vending machines because I simply cannot carry anymore items.
Syrenz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Syrenz

I don't enjoy horror, and so the "scary" elements kept me a little uncomfortable (I only played the demo). Elraptor

same here- that's why I'm so happy that Far Cry 2 is not going to have monsters like the first...

WileyCoyote315

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 WileyCoyote315

I was really surprise to find that the game was actually scary. Its a different sort of scary, no zombies popping up every corner. Its more of the disturbing story, insane characters, and how errie the mood maintained itself through the game. I definately appreciated that aspect.

This game shines where otheres dont. Think about how many interest characters you can name from other shooters. This game probably have more character development than all the 2007 shooters combined. Its probably one of the only games that made me feel guilty for taking the evil path.

gow117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 gow117
Member since 2008 • 2963 Posts

i played it 2 times and loved it and i still do so the guys that say this game sucks they just don´t know what´s a good game

what about other games that trully suck?speak about´em

WileyCoyote315

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 WileyCoyote315

I just finished the game, and I g2 say it was definately an experience. Everything from the big twist up to the end is pretty intense, the only let down was the ending. I thought it was too short a bit anti climatic. But it did wrap up the game so I cant really complain.

I get what everyone else is saying about not wanting to play it again though. I did pretty much everything in the first play through, not much left for replay value.

Delro333

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#44 Delro333
Member since 2007 • 594 Posts

I don't hate it, but if I remember correctly, didn't it have repetitive enemies and glitches?mitu123

Your memory is terrible. The enemies were always fun and refreshing to kill, even if there was only like 6 kinds. As for glitches hardly any. And if your crying over a few then man up

xlukebearx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#46 xlukebearx
Member since 2005 • 37 Posts
I thought it was cool, but not incredible... I know this sounds like a lame complaint (besides probably some of the worst endings since Halo 2) is the fact that the sound effects of most of the guns were *really* weak. Firing single shots of the machine gun sounded like a sound file being looped, no dynamics at all. Decent game though, I enjoyed it for the most part.
Avatar image for Cloud_Insurance
Cloud_Insurance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Cloud_Insurance
Member since 2008 • 3279 Posts

Don't get me wrong, I love BioShock. The environments are awesome, the story is cool and the characters are interesting. But combat gets really repetitive after a while, and once you realize there's no consequence to dying all strategy planning goes out the window.superluigi96

The combat is only repetitive if you CHOOSE it to be that way. If you actually use the other abilities and stuff, the combat has quite a bit of variety. Its no different than the previous games where you could get through them using only the wrench. But I agree, the lack of a dying penalty really really hurt the game.

Firex777x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Firex777x
Member since 2008 • 697 Posts

i found it too easy,

beat it on hard my first playthrough no trouble.

WileyCoyote315

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 WileyCoyote315

[QUOTE="mitu123"]I don't hate it, but if I remember correctly, didn't it have repetitive enemies and glitches?Delro333

Your memory is terrible. The enemies were always fun and refreshing to kill, even if there was only like 6 kinds. As for glitches hardly any. And if your crying over a few then man up

This game probably had the smartest enemies Ive encountered. I never fight them near health startions, cause they'll always run away, heal and come back with a new machine gun.

WileyCoyote315

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 WileyCoyote315

i found it too easy,

beat it on hard my first playthrough no trouble.

Firex777x

Its not that hard but it feels harder than most other fps just because of the health and EVA bars. I mean with gears all you have to worry about is not getting too hurt. But with this game, I felt like I needed to use every advantage to preserve my health.