Are we(current 360 owners) being ripped off?

• 82 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

TheWalrusBeast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 0

#51 TheWalrusBeast
Member since 2005 • 1820 Posts
[QUOTE="TheWalrusBeast"]

[QUOTE="IMuGGeDSaTaN"][QUOTE="gp19"]They better release a HDMI cable for regular 360sIMuGGeDSaTaN

They are.

Link please! I doubt Microsoft cares that much

Cant link but they are. Ask anyone with a brain.

Well no one with a brain thought they were coming out with the Xbox 360 Elite after microsoft said that they won't use HDMI for 1080P.

MTBare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#52 MTBare
Member since 2006 • 5176 Posts
[QUOTE="TheWalrusBeast"]

[QUOTE="IMuGGeDSaTaN"][QUOTE="gp19"]They better release a HDMI cable for regular 360sIMuGGeDSaTaN

They are.

Doesn't it need an actual HDMI port to have a cable? Correct me if I'm wrong I know nothing of HDMI..
sniper_99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#53 sniper_99
Member since 2004 • 2820 Posts
its no fair man, I want an Xbox Elite!
IMuGGeDSaTaN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#54 IMuGGeDSaTaN
Member since 2007 • 485 Posts
[QUOTE="IMuGGeDSaTaN"][QUOTE="TheWalrusBeast"]

[QUOTE="IMuGGeDSaTaN"][QUOTE="gp19"]They better release a HDMI cable for regular 360sMTBare

They are.

Doesn't it need an actual HDMI port to have a cable? Correct me if I'm wrong I know nothing of HDMI..

Man I know nothing about it I just speek the obvious. I know nothing about HDMI all I know is everyone says you can get a seprate HDMI thing and a seprate HDD I dont even know what HDMI is.
jimjim350

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 jimjim350
Member since 2004 • 197 Posts
no microsoft says its not worth it if you got one just buy the drive hdmi aint a big deal
Myugenjin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 Myugenjin
Member since 2003 • 785 Posts
[QUOTE="IMuGGeDSaTaN"][QUOTE="TheWalrusBeast"]

[QUOTE="IMuGGeDSaTaN"][QUOTE="gp19"]They better release a HDMI cable for regular 360sMTBare

They are.

Ā 

Lol..., Imma Sony fan but i'll add my piece! Yeah itz a bleebin rip off just as charging for any failed consoles due to MS problems not the paying public!

Ā 

As far as HDMI itz a DIGITAL format (has much higher bandwidth and is less prone to noise) so there can be no effective cable for premium 360 users! And as far as your current 1080p (the 360 patch) thats not true 1080p cuz component can only transmit ANALOG signal (lower bandwidth and more prone to noise)

Ā 

So even if ya got a 720p HD set the 360 elite (in theory) should provide a better-"loss-less" picture and no the VGA port on ya HD set is only for 1366x768 rez and D-Sub (the vga port) is also an analog device. If thers an DVI-360 cable and ya HD set has DVI port then ya good 2 go!

Ā 

p.s. I think Sony fans got ripped off with the rumble thats coming and anyone who buys an extra PS3 remote until that new controller comes out!

dwells4life

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 dwells4life
Member since 2005 • 491 Posts

[QUOTE="Z_scorpio_Z"][QUOTE="dwells4life"]No one is forcing you to buy it. It is just like you buying a computer and they come out with a new one, is the computer company ripping you off? No... Plus you need to post this in the stickied thread at the top of the 1st page.Superbustacap

U sir are a fing moron. a console is not the same thing like a computer. go back to your cave, troll.

Who cares if they're not the same thing? They both cost money and they both get upgrades. You're the moron.

Exactly lolĀ  wheres that noob now? He hasnt said anything in a while... Talkin mess lol

ashy_knuckles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 ashy_knuckles
Member since 2006 • 25 Posts

I bought my premium last year for $400 and wouldn't change a thing about that decison.Ā  Gears, Oblivion, Rainbow 6, Dead Rising and others have all been great games and well worth it.Ā  I've downloaded movies, demos, and tv shows.Ā  I even went out and got a Media Center PC (I was due for an upgrade) but also in part just to see how it worked with the 360.

I've been a definite 360 fanboy.Ā  Ironic as it may seem though, as soon as I heard this Elite announcement, I made up my mind to go get a PS3.Ā  I'm just growing weary of Microsoft trying to be the general motors of video games.Ā  Instead of trying to make "options" available to new groups of people along the way, why can't they just get things right the first time.Ā  There is no reason HDMI and a larger hard-drive weren't available from the start.Ā  Hell, the Wii comes with wi-fi out of the box, why does that cost $100 extra?Ā  So you mean to tell me if I want to add wi-fi, a larger hard-drive and Hd-dvd..its going to cost me an extra $479??Ā  I'm all for not making people buy what they don't want, but thats a hell of a markup for those who are willing to support you.

Rather than create some newer version of the 360 to cater to small segments, why not focus on things that would improve the product to existingĀ AND new buyers.Ā  Allow storing of ALL content on external hard-drives.Ā  Open up the market place for purchase and viewing from the PC.Ā  Hell, I would even buy a Zune if I could transfer my Xbox live trailers, videos and demos to and fromĀ that.Ā  Speaking of music and lack thereof, why is there no music available to purchase from the marketplace?Ā  Those are the options I'm looking for.Ā  MS focusing on what they do best, software, not some new box with a coupleĀ new features thatĀ they said two months ago wasn't necessary.

I'm still looking forward to all the 360 exclusives..Mass Effect, BioShock, FableĀ 2, Halo 3, etc, etc...Ā As long as the games keep coming, I'm happy with what I've got.Ā Ā This latest announcement, however, just led me to believe that the best option, for me at least, was to turn in my fanboy card.Ā  Exclusives, new features, format wars...none of that matters anymore.Ā  I am now free to choose the GAMES I want.Ā  If thats the only choice I've got to make going forward, I'll never feel ripped off.

Myugenjin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 Myugenjin

I bought my premium last year for $400 and wouldn't change a thing about that decison. Gears, Oblivion, Rainbow 6, Dead Rising and others have all been great games and well worth it. I've downloaded movies, demos, and tv shows. I even went out and got a Media Center PC (I was due for an upgrade) but also in part just to see how it worked with the 360.

I've been a definite 360 fanboy. Ironic as it may seem though, as soon as I heard this Elite announcement, I made up my mind to go get a PS3. I'm just growing weary of Microsoft trying to be the general motors of video games. Instead of trying to make "options" available to new groups of people along the way, why can't they just get things right the first time. There is no reason HDMI and a larger hard-drive weren't available from the start. Hell, the Wii comes with wi-fi out of the box, why does that cost $100 extra? So you mean to tell me if I want to add wi-fi, a larger hard-drive and Hd-dvd..its going to cost me an extra $479?? I'm all for not making people buy what they don't want, but thats a hell of a markup for those who are willing to support you.

Rather than create some newer version of the 360 to cater to small segments, why not focus on things that would improve the product to existing AND new buyers. Allow storing of ALL content on external hard-drives. Open up the market place for purchase and viewing from the PC. Hell, I would even buy a Zune if I could transfer my Xbox live trailers, videos and demos to and from that. Speaking of music and lack thereof, why is there no music available to purchase from the marketplace? Those are the options I'm looking for. MS focusing on what they do best, software, not some new box with a couple new features that they said two months ago wasn't necessary.

I'm still looking forward to all the 360 exclusives..Mass Effect, BioShock, Fable 2, Halo 3, etc, etc... As long as the games keep coming, I'm happy with what I've got. This latest announcement, however, just led me to believe that the best option, for me at least, was to turn in my fanboy card. Exclusives, new features, format wars...none of that matters anymore. I am now free to choose the GAMES I want. If thats the only choice I've got to make going forward, I'll never feel ripped off.

ashy_knuckles

Ā 

U seem to be a real fan of MS why not wait until the PS3 drops in price a year and a half from now unless ya 1 of them gotta have it all types? My only cause for wanting a 360 (in the near future) are Bioshock, Mass effect, Huxley, and Alanwake!Ā 

Myugenjin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 Myugenjin
And don't forget about Forza 2 i've officially flipped tha bird at Gran Tourismo due to that little demo!
Videodogg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 Videodogg
Member since 2002 • 12611 Posts
MS is not screwing anybody. Why is this such a big deal? They are offering the 120 hard drive separately, IF YOU WANT IT OR NEED IT. You really dont need the hdmi port...DO YOU? I am getting a beautiful 1080p picture from my current xbox 360 ( for games ) and my hd-dvd player is beautiful at 1080i . I could get 1080p with vga cable, but personally, i could not tell the difference. So how the hell are you getting RIPPED OFF by MS? Please tell me...i wanna know because im getting sick and tired of hearing everybody whine.
Valek1394

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 Valek1394
Member since 2004 • 365 Posts
I don't think it's a rip off per se. I agree it sucks for those of us that already own a 360, but I've gotten plenty of enjoyment out of my system these last 6 months I've had it; and I don't really *need* the big Hard Drive, but I do want the HDMI, so I think I might use my premium as a trade in towards the Elite at some point. For now though, I'm not worried about it. For those that don't own one (but want one), and can throw down for a premium with no problem, I'd say hold off for the elite. It's an extra 80 bucks you get a MUCH larger hard drive, the revamed cooling system, and HDMI capabilities. May as well, especially if you already have a HD TV that supports the higher resolutions.
Avatar image for insane_metalist
insane_metalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#63 insane_metalist
Member since 2006 • 7797 Posts
As a premium 360 owner, I have no interest in the Elite.. So if those were things you wanted, then go trade it in if you really want to, yours choice, you dont have to get it.Ā Its a bit iffy on yes or no.ArisShadows
im with u except im gonna upgrade to 120gb hdd because mine is full
Endgame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 Endgame_basic
Member since 2002 • 950 Posts
[QUOTE="MTBare"][QUOTE="IMuGGeDSaTaN"][QUOTE="TheWalrusBeast"]

[QUOTE="IMuGGeDSaTaN"][QUOTE="gp19"]They better release a HDMI cable for regular 360sMyugenjin

They are.

Ā 

Lol..., Imma Sony fan but i'll add my piece! Yeah itz a bleebin rip off just as charging for any failed consoles due to MS problems not the paying public!

Ā 

As far as HDMI itz a DIGITAL format (has much higher bandwidth and is less prone to noise) so there can be no effective cable for premium 360 users! And as far as your current 1080p (the 360 patch) thats not true 1080p cuz component can only transmit ANALOG signal (lower bandwidth and more prone to noise)

Ā 

So even if ya got a 720p HD set the 360 elite (in theory) should provide a better-"loss-less" picture and no the VGA port on ya HD set is only for 1366x768 rez and D-Sub (the vga port) is also an analog device. If thers an DVI-360 cable and ya HD set has DVI port then ya good 2 go!

Ā 

p.s. I think Sony fans got ripped off with the rumble thats coming and anyone who buys an extra PS3 remote until that new controller comes out!

So component can't do a true 1080p signal? Care to place a wager on that? How about the lsoer never posts on these forums again?Ā 

therealderek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 therealderek
Member since 2003 • 311 Posts
I say if 360 owners can complain about this PC owners should be able to complain every time a better version of whatever component they might feel inclined to complain about comes out? Same with Ipods, and well....pretty much every single piece of electronics ever released?
FUBAR24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#66 FUBAR24
Member since 2005 • 12185 Posts
nope i dont feel ripped off at all.im happy with my pro console and thats all that maters
JCBraz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 JCBraz
Member since 2007 • 64 Posts
I don't believe so. New model for a new year. They do it all the time with cars.
videokidandrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#68 videokidandrew
Member since 2005 • 4000 Posts
No one is forcing you to buy it. It is just like you buying a computer and they come out with a new one, is the computer company ripping you off? No... Plus you need to post this in the stickied thread at the top of the 1st page.dwells4life
Thats what I have been telling everyone you arent gonna be more awesome just because you have the elite and everything upgrades Im getting one because I want the big hdd and hdmi
chquezad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 chquezad
Member since 2003 • 25 Posts

I actually think its both, a rip-off and not.Ā  its not a rip-off to most people but they feel that is.Ā  People keep bringing up the computer arguement. but the thing is that most console gamers aren't heavy computer gamers for that one reason that it can get incredibly costly to keep your computer up-to-date, (i'm not trying to say that console gaming isn't a pricey habit in itself) so they stick with there consoles which used to be the same system since release to its death.Ā 

Most systems have a lifetime of 4-5 years. And people are used to going through that lifetime without any big changes whatsoever.Ā  I mean sure the older systems have come out with newer things, like the Playstation turning into the PSONE which was just smaller and more stable and even with the PS2 becoming smaller and more stable. but no one is used to sudden upgrades half way through the systems lifetime.Ā  console gamers aren't used to a newer package adding things that they didn't orginally add because they thought it wasn't needed but suddenly wants to add itĀ now when another company added it in from the start, they feel that maybe they aren't getting maximum profit.Ā 

but to get back to the point, its not a ripoff for me, i bought my system close to launch, its been a long time.Ā  i knew what i was getting when i got the core and i knew that if i wanted a system with superior technology i could've saved for the ps3, which i did.Ā  BUT I absolutely agree that the people who JUST BOUGHT themselves a premium are getting ripped off.Ā  cuz they just dropped 400 for a system that in a way is inferior to the elite package.Ā  when if they were warned that another system was coming out a few months from now they could've waited for that superior package.Ā  but then again its all reletive to your situation.Ā  i want it cus of all its new stuff and for the main reason that its black, cuz i like black. but i'm not going to get it cuz its expensive, i dont need 120 gigs cuz i'm not a heavy multimedia user, and i dont have an HD tv.

Ā but i think that if companies continue to release updated system packages half-way through a systems lifetime, that more and more people will just not buy the initial launch system and wait it out for the better one.Ā  and only the people who "have to have it now" will get it.Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā Ā  .....but hey, thats just my 2 Cents

bri360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 bri360
Member since 2005 • 2755 Posts

I like the fact the MS released the Elite but do you guys think the current 360 owners are being ripped off, with the whole elite thing. i mean there are a bunch of 360 owners that arer going to want to upgrade like me but will hav to buy a whole nother system. I feel like we are getting ripped off with no deal or anything. What do youguys think?PearlDrummer5

Not really, theirs no point upgrading if you already own a 360 because the hardrive is available for premium and core also and hdmi is almost pointless. Also its not like this concept is new, Nintendo has been dooing this type of thing for many years.

jc_tkml

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#71 jc_tkml
Member since 2005 • 1172 Posts
No one is forcing you to buy it. It is just like you buying a computer and they come out with a new one, is the computer company ripping you off? No... Plus you need to post this in the stickied thread at the top of the 1st page.dwells4life
it's not about making you buy a new one its the price specially to those who just bought them e.g. me I could buy that elite but didn't know it coming
Metilco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 Metilco
Member since 2006 • 579 Posts
I love my 360, but we are DEFINATELY being ripped off. If I had the opportunity I would just get the Elite, but now I have 1/6th of the HDD, no HDMI (which I could take great advantage of), and a color I don't really like. And you know, most of ours are probably gonna break down eventually anyway.
jc_tkml

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#73 jc_tkml
Member since 2005 • 1172 Posts
so I think it's a rip-off to those who just bought theirs waiting for some upgrades but didn't come early but not to those who bought them early because they had more time enjoying it not caring for the elite
Endgame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 Endgame_basic
Member since 2002 • 950 Posts
Do people whine when a new Gameboy comes out? Do people whine when new pc components come out? I just bought a tv for 2500$ and a new model was just announced. Am I mad? No. That's how the world works. I'm guessing the majority of the people upset about this are younger gamers because I can't see how any adult wouldn't understand this move. Microsoft is providing e few extra features for those who want to pay for it. Grow up
dwells4life

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 dwells4life
Member since 2005 • 491 Posts

Ā 

[QUOTE="dwells4life"]No one is forcing you to buy it. It is just like you buying a computer and they come out with a new one, is the computer company ripping you off? No... Plus you need to post this in the stickied thread at the top of the 1st page.videokidandrew
Thats what I have been telling everyone you arent gonna be more awesome just because you have the elite and everything upgrades Im getting one because I want the big hdd and hdmi

Exactly... geesh

blue_tape

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 blue_tape
Member since 2007 • 2868 Posts
I bought a brand new 360 Premium just three weeks ago, pretty much right before the Elite was announced. Do I feel ripped off? No. The console has thoroughly surprised me by being so much more than an upgraded version of the original Xbox and the games I've played are fun. I don't have an HDTV and I don't buy and spent Microsoft points, so I don't need the extras. As for the larger hard drive, I don't feel ripped off since I bought the Xport, which can transfer files from my 360 hard drive to my PC hard drive, so I do have extra space that way. The Xport was also handy transferring (most) original Xbox saves.
cool_baller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 cool_baller
Member since 2003 • 12493 Posts
No. My TV has no HDMI. and I barely download from XBL
Avatar image for LinKuei_warrior
LinKuei_warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#78 LinKuei_warrior
Member since 2006 • 2670 Posts

to make it fair,they should lower the price of the 20GBhard Drive,that way they can make the price of a hard drive equal to how much u pay for it when your buying an elite

Rentago

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#79 Rentago
Member since 2006 • 1543 Posts
no we are not getting screwed over... the elite is just painted black with an hdmi port that alot of people like me dont really care about 1080i is good for me... The Hardware like graphics ect are the same and the disc drive.... is quiet people its not even loud ! it wont over heat if you take care of it correctly. as for the accessories and HDD you can buy the black accessories separate just like the HDD but ask yourself do you really need 120GB? me i dont because i have plenty of spacee on my 20GB because i only use my 360 to play games its a gaming console...... if i want to watch tv or movies i have cable and a dvd player for that when i watch trailers, clips, or play demos when im done with them i delete them..... so the premium that i got is good with me i dont need the upgrade to elite iamcool2121
Exactly what I think, people got to stop putting a brick wall into accepting things, go out and learn a few things don't listen to others unless it's someone who did the research himself 110% of the population doesn't know what a molecule is and probably doesn't know the differance HDMI does. I have a launch 360 and its fine, the only issue I've had is when i put the intercooler on it cut on power from the disk tray so the tray doesn't come out when you first power the 360 but after giving it a minute warm up it works fine.
Kngsmitty17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 Kngsmitty17
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts
I think we are being ripped off i think we should be able to trade in our old one and get the new elite one for 80 dollars because basically thats all t the people that will buy an elite is going to pay 80 dollars more for what we payed and there getting way more to yes its a big rip off
Rentago

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#81 Rentago
Member since 2006 • 1543 Posts
I say if 360 owners can complain about this PC owners should be able to complain every time a better version of whatever component they might feel inclined to complain about comes out? Same with Ipods, and well....pretty much every single piece of electronics ever released?therealderek
CELL PHONES!
Avatar image for makaelthosolcry
makaelthosolcry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#82 makaelthosolcry
Member since 2006 • 108 Posts
I understand their laziness actually. Who wants to go through the pain ? Just be happy with what you have, guys, The Elite is only for those who havent bought the premium yet and are more geared toward downloading content and watching movies. I dont undestand this, as you can just do it all on a DVD player or computer more efficiently, but whatever. There aren't going to be 1080p games soon anyway, and even if there are, 720p is more than good if you ask me. But nothings ever good for you spoiled brats is it ? :@
RabbidDawg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#83 RabbidDawg
Member since 2006 • 960 Posts

this stupid argument/thought is getting so old... are you one of the very few people that has a tv that accepts 1080p, but not through component, and does not have a vga input?? if you are, then yeah, this sucks... but there are soooooooooo few tvs out there that this applies to. if you want the bigger hard drive, buy it seperate. wait for it to come down in price if it's too much right now. no one is getting ripped off. should computer companies send you a new computer whenever they come out with a new one? no. people don't realize how good of a deal a console is... 400 dollars, and it's good for 4, 5 years?? so what if they come out with one with a shiny new option. big deal, unless you're one of the vast minority that actually could use this upgrade. do your research, find out if it really matters to you at all, then make another post whining about how hard it is to own a next gen console...shotputking

Ā 

Why is it that people think HDMI is only good for 1080p? My TV is only 720p and 1080i and I can tell you the colors and sharpness are much better using HDMI than component or VGA.Ā  PLUS the 360 just came out NOV-05 so why a brand new model so soon especially when MS said that Sony was idiotic for having HDMI and 1080p because people dont want it, then they release a patch for 1080p and make a new model with HDMI, and HDMI TVs will pick up especially because not only does 1080p look good but 720p and 1080i look good as well.

Also though had we waited we couldve paid just 80.00 more than a premium 360 and have a HDD thats much much bigger and HDMI, but no we dont get HDMI andĀ  a seperate HDD is 179.00 which will put the cost of my premium 360 over that of my PS3 with no HDMI. And please dont tell me a bigger HDD is not needed. Im not going to erase my DL'd videos and content just to make room. Demos. sure Ill erase those but I tend to watch videos more than once and listen to tons of music. So a bigger HDD is needed for me. Hell I got 10 GB just in music and videos, as do A LOT of others, so we will have to buy the bigger HDD which will again put our premium 360s at a PS3 price with no built in HDMI or built in WI-Fi for that matter and that is BS!

PCs are different. Youd have to upgrade every month just to keep up tech wise. Console as we know it remain mostly unchanged except for size and more effcient running hardware, but to go and make drastic changes such as this is BS. Sure the slim PS2 had built in internet connections as were the PS2 orignal didnt you had to buy an adapter. I feel though HDMI and a HDD thats that big are drastic changes and only for the price of 80.00 more than a premium is almost like a slap in the face to current premium owners and Id wished the price would have been higher and not so affordable LOL.

Its just a mistake to come out with a third option in my view. They should just rubbish the core and have 2, which this is the way the 360 shouldve been configured anyway with HDMI and a bigger HDD. No doubt Im gonna have to buy the new HDD and basically end up paying more for the 360 than my PS3, which sucks. I couldve just waited a year and some change and got yet another better version. ANyway thats my 2 cents and Im not happy about it but you know MS will get my cash anyway:lol:

Master__Shake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84 Master__Shake
Member since 2002 • 6214 Posts
I like the fact the MS released the Elite but do you guys thinkĀ  the current 360 owners are being ripped off, with the whole elite thing. i mean there are a bunch of 360 owners that arer going to want to upgrade like me but will hav to buy a whole nother system. I feel like we are getting ripped off with no deal or anything. What do youguys think?PearlDrummer5
the only people who NEED to buy a new 360 are people who don't have one. People who should are people with hdmi inputs. Other than that no one NEEDS the new 360. Realistically tho, do you NEED HDMI since most games that run in 1080p are being internally upscaled from 720p...think about that.