Are games getting to easy?

• 58 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Loudli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 Loudli
Member since 2008 • 141 Posts

Just want some opinions.

Cause seems to me betting a game used to be alot harder,

Now i start most games on the hardest difficulty to have somewhat of a challenge,

for example MW2 on veteran was not too difficult, just took abit of patiente,or Batman AA was pretty easy on the hardest difficulty (although theres games like ninja gaiden that are crazy hard)

Not saying those games are bad, am i better at games then when i was younger? (probably) but at the same time i remember it took me forever to beat old school mega man games and such.

Thanks

halfbottle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 halfbottle
Member since 2008 • 104 Posts

Prolly 'cause you have a bigger television

vashkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 135

User Lists: 25

#3 vashkey
Member since 2005 • 33781 Posts
Games are easier and I'd say it's for the better.
JuggaloRandall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 JuggaloRandall
Member since 2010 • 8213 Posts
Try saying that for Mafia II on Hard. You would get splattered almost as quick as MW2 on Vetran. After Sucessfully beating COD4 and MF2 both on Veteran games do seem to be easy though. Besides guitar hero custom songs. If you find the right ones they will absolutley destroy you.
Bikouchu35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Bikouchu35
Member since 2009 • 8344 Posts

Your forgetting that old games had clunky controls (poor timing response), but nowadays all the games are smoothed out for you.

JuggaloRandall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 JuggaloRandall
Member since 2010 • 8213 Posts

Your forgetting that old games had clunky controls (poor timing response), but nowadays all the games are smoothed out for you.

Bikouchu35
very good point. The very first Xbox controller was terrible, im very thankful my uncle though a head and bought an Xbox with the S controller.
Ashley_wwe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#7 Ashley_wwe
Member since 2003 • 13412 Posts
Yeah, they are a bit easier. For example, take Call Of Duty 2 then Modern Warfare 2 both on Veteran difficulty. I re-did MW2 this past weekend and it was so easy in comparison! actually a bit too easy most of the time... but yeah, it's not always a bad thing.
DBIZMO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#8 DBIZMO
Member since 2009 • 581 Posts
Maybe games are getting easier since developers want to catch a wider audience of gamers.
archvile_78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 archvile_78
Member since 2007 • 8438 Posts

Try saying that for Mafia II on Hard. You would get splattered almost as quick as MW2 on Vetran. After Sucessfully beating COD4 and MF2 both on Veteran games do seem to be easy though. Besides guitar hero custom songs. If you find the right ones they will absolutley destroy you.JuggaloRandall

Mafia II wasn't so hard on Hard, would have been waaaaaay harder without life regen...

Avatar image for ZzZEVOLUTIONZzZ
ZzZEVOLUTIONZzZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#10 ZzZEVOLUTIONZzZ
Member since 2007 • 1987 Posts

No.

Maybe you are just getting better at them? Ever think of that one?

Loudli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Loudli

Bikouchu35

thats a really good point, nowadays games (ussually) have decent control

Loudli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Loudli

No.

Maybe you are just getting better at them? Ever think of that one?

ZzZEVOLUTIONZzZ
Yes i did:P
Avatar image for The_Gaming_Baby
The_Gaming_Baby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 117

User Lists: 52

#13 The_Gaming_Baby
Member since 2010 • 6425 Posts

Game used to be much harder. They are no where near as hard now. Even a game like COD gets easier with every game.

MsCortana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 MsCortana
Member since 2007 • 10565 Posts

You know I was having this discussion with a few friends of mine, as I felt perhaps this movement towards the casual gamer base was having a ripple effect on the difficulty and simplicity of games. I still feel this way to a certain extent, but then someone said, "Are you positive the games are getting easier, or is it that you are just getting better at playing them?". Which was thought provoking to say the least. Perhaps the answer to your question lies somewhere in the middle. I think as we progress as gamers, we simply forge a better understanding of the games we play.

kellydee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 kellydee
Member since 2007 • 69 Posts
Well at a lot of older games had a certain number or lives until you get a certain amount of points to get another.Most games you can now just load up your save or last check point over and over until you get it right. Maybe that just makes them seem easier.
wiouds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 wiouds
Member since 2004 • 6233 Posts

Having a save make all the different. A boss just reload before it until you will each time it get easier.

bessy67

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 bessy67
Member since 2007 • 1734 Posts

Most games can be hard if you change the default difficulty to hard. For example, Halo Reach is a cakewalk on normal, but it's a completely different game on legendary. Bioshock and Bioshock 2 also get extremely hard as you max out the difficulty, especially if you turn off vita-chambers. Even most RPG's are like that. Dragon Age and Mass Effect are very easy at the default difficulty, but max out the difficulty and they both get extremely difficult. I don't think that games have necessairly gotten easier, it's just that you need to choose a difficulty level higher than the default to make the game challenging.

Avatar image for jakeman55667799
jakeman55667799

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 jakeman55667799
Member since 2007 • 46 Posts

Games used to have alot less features. In mario you jump and kill things which doesnt leave much room. In games today you can supe up your character and give him amazing armor and weapons and basically make the game alot easier for yourself.

Ghost_702

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#19 Ghost_702
Member since 2006 • 7405 Posts
Not necessarily. There are still plenty of games that push the borders of how hard is too hard (Demon Soul's anyone?). Keep in mind that game devs need something that will cater to a broad group of people and not just hardcore gamers that live and die by the controller. A game that no one can beat and is otherwise unplayale probably won't sell as well as something that anyone can pick up and enjoy.
wiouds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 wiouds

Also game makers are getting better at not having poor made, frustrating parts.

Avatar image for speedfreak48t5p
speedfreak48t5p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#21 speedfreak48t5p
Member since 2009 • 14416 Posts

Halo Reach on Heroic/Legendary, Call of Duty 2/Call of Duty 4/Modern Warfare 2 on Veteran, Flatout Ultimate Carnage. Games today are far from easy.

AvnKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 AvnKnight
Member since 2006 • 840 Posts

I dont think games are getting too easy its justthey have saving and checkpoints so you just load if you die and you never really get set back enough to be frustrated or annoyed.

Assassin_73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Assassin_73
Member since 2008 • 165 Posts

i guess yes its more easier and more real simulating.

killakill615

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 killakill615
Member since 2009 • 62 Posts

lol its a conspiracy to draw less gaming inclined individuals into buying a 300 dollar system on top of 60 bones a pop to feel glorified by beating a 5 hour game i tell ya :P

lozo777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 lozo777
Member since 2008 • 37 Posts

They were too smart before. They had to dumb em down for the special people. ;)

chex81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 61

#26 chex81
Member since 2004 • 3661 Posts

Games are easier and I'd say it's for the better.vashkey

agreed

teknic1200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 teknic1200
Member since 2007 • 3191 Posts
[QUOTE="Bikouchu35"]

JuggaloRandall
very good point. The very first Xbox controller was terrible, im very thankful my uncle though a head and bought an Xbox with the S controller.

not to mention old games were much shorter, and had far fewer levels. The games could be played through in one sit down, so they had to make them hard to add life to the game. now you get to continue and have unlimited lifes and the goal is the next save point. I think the difficulty of games from the old days was often cheep for this reason.
MystikRex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 MystikRex
Member since 2010 • 324 Posts
I don't think so. I think I'm just better at games in general than I used to be. But I still find some games hard. Some are easy, some aren't just like it's always been.
wiouds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 wiouds

I think cheap challenge is less common. The sad part is people only think that the cheap clallenge as the only source of challenge.

sundfeld

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 sundfeld
Member since 2007 • 36 Posts

I think games are getting to easy, but also too short! There are games nowadays that you can beat in a couple of hours! The MW2 is a game that you can complete in one day! There are no more games like San Andreas where it took hours and hours to finish...

BLAS1AN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 BLAS1AN
Member since 2003 • 3508 Posts

I dont think games are getting too easy its justthey have saving and checkpoints so you just load if you die and you never really get set back enough to be frustrated or annoyed.

AvnKnight

good point. anyone ever heard of game called Enclave on the regular xbox? (no checkpoints and unavoidable deaths)

I think the developers want make games more appealing to the masse $$$. There are more casuals then die hards. even Ninja Gaiden series resorted to having a a wuss mode.

Logan1616

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Logan1616
Member since 2008 • 3424 Posts
No, I don't think they're getting too easy, nor too hard. There's a good balance.
PapaJuliio17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 PapaJuliio17
Member since 2009 • 112 Posts

I've never played video games too much, and I'm a young guy, but I'd say on the basis of FFXIII, definitely. It's not that it's so easy (there are a few challenging bosses) but it's probably the least punishing game I've ever played - there's never any danger of losing anything important (if you get killed you respawn immediately before the battle, having lost nothing, and your health resets to full after every battle) and it's well publicized linearity makes it just about impossible not to go the right way.

XboxGuy1537

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#34 XboxGuy1537
Member since 2010 • 2360 Posts

Well the controls now days are certainley better nowadays....

disharmonized

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 disharmonized
Member since 2010 • 1051 Posts
Games are easier and I'd say it's for the better.vashkey
I have to agree. I like having fun. Games can be hard enough if you want but its nice to have a good balance of difficulty.
disharmonized

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 disharmonized
Member since 2010 • 1051 Posts

lol its a conspiracy to draw less gaming inclined individuals into buying a 300 dollar system on top of 60 bones a pop to feel glorified by beating a 5 hour game i tell ya :P

killakill615
Haha. Makes so much sense now...
RoslindaleOne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 RoslindaleOne
Member since 2006 • 7566 Posts
Checkpoints make things a lot easier.
Samslayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#38 Samslayer
Member since 2005 • 1852 Posts

Well, I am seeing student achievement dropping practically every year(I'm a teacher). Maybe there is a slight correlation betweenthefall in student ability andgame producerstrying to match that decline.

Be mindful this is not a very serious comment, about a very serious problem we have in the USA!

Some-Mist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#39 Some-Mist
Member since 2009 • 5631 Posts

try deathsmiles on 999 difficulty. or even try 1CCing it on easy mode. hard games are still around.

davros878

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#40 davros878
Member since 2008 • 134 Posts

Personally I think that game industryis too dynamic to just make a blanket statement about the difficulty of all the games. Operation flashpoint for instance is a difficult game, and Super Mario Galaxy is a relatively easy game. Some games like Halo have difficulty levels to make it more marketable to both newcomers and veteran gamers.

Hepemania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Hepemania
Member since 2010 • 517 Posts

Well today's games are way easier than all the old games were back in time, example snes games.

scantron27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 scantron27
Member since 2010 • 25 Posts
Not only are they too easy, but they're much too short. Who wants to play a 4-5 hours game? That's like a movie, I want my games to last at least a week. Sure there's always multiplayer, but still, I don't like the length of console games nowadays. Same with games being too easy. You can always play online, or just turn the difficulty up all the way, but I prefer when it's a challenge right off the bat.
Some-Mist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Some-Mist
Member since 2009 • 5631 Posts

Not only are they too easy, but they're much too short. Who wants to play a 4-5 hours game? That's like a movie, I want my games to last at least a week. Sure there's always multiplayer, but still, I don't like the length of console games nowadays. Same with games being too easy. You can always play online, or just turn the difficulty up all the way, but I prefer when it's a challenge right off the bat. scantron27

have you played deathsmiles? or mushihimesama futari, or espgaluda II? or ikaruga? or any region-free or localized shmup available on the 360 for that matter? every one available is difficult right off the bat. If you haven't played those games, then how can you make such a claim? I'd agree that most of those hard games listed are short, but they're some of the most replayable games this generation. not to mention the upcoming radiant silvergun and guwange to XBLA.

and I know this is the 360 forum, but demon's souls.

how about this, ninja gaiden and ninja gaiden II?

Cosmok14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Cosmok14
Member since 2010 • 25 Posts

Games like the orginal Mario Brothers and Megaman were so difficult if you didn't use cheats and warps. I miss that aspect, I believe games should be more difficult, I'm sure Fallout New Vegas hardcore mode will be tough to beat :)

bowlingotter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

#45 bowlingotter
Member since 2005 • 6464 Posts

I don't think the difficulty is as much as a concern as the standard for game length. MW2 took about 5 hours. For a $60 game? That's horrible.

I know this is a 360 forum, but have a go at Demon's Souls if you want a great game with a great challenge.

cprmauldin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#46 cprmauldin
Member since 2009 • 1567 Posts

Firsty, you spelled "too" incorrectly.

Anyways,

I feel that for RPG gamers, The difficulty level of games had stayed fairly consistent, and the length has increased due to more customization, open-ended titles, etc.. I don't play many action games, so I don't have much of an opinion in that aspect.

Samslayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#47 Samslayer
Member since 2005 • 1852 Posts

Firsty, you spelled "too" incorrectly.

cprmauldin

Are you refering to the original post's "too difficult" statement? If so, that is the correct usage of the word "too." To get even more specific the original post is correct, due to the fact the homophone "too," in this case, is used to demonstrate an excessive amount

Edit...

Second of all, this is an online forum. Yes, I also get frustrated with grammar usage errors, but I wouldn't be one to point out every single problem. People make mistakes!

ish_gibbor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#48 ish_gibbor
Member since 2004 • 1717 Posts

Yes. I think it's because games need to appeal to casual gamers, which old school games don't. Casual gamers can't get very far in an older Mega Man game. I like that Ninja Gaiden keeps it hard, although, the hardest setting on Ninja Gaiden 2 is insane.

With my Alien Shooter I had to make an easy mod for casual gamers can enjoy it as well. This is the top down shooter coming to 360, like Smash TV meets Geometry Wars with a dash of Ikaruga. Now those were challenging games. I'm bringing back that challenge, but at the same time, I must consider casual gamers. Hard Core gamers will find thatnormal mode is very challenging.

Echo13791

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Echo13791
Member since 2004 • 5029 Posts

Getting *too easy. Come on!

I think they've gotten easier, but that's not really a bad thing. There are still some super brutal games out there, and very high difficulties for those who want them. I think that single player games have become easier because the real difficulty comes from the multiplayer now. Nothing like facing other human opponents.

Kazincski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Kazincski
Member since 2010 • 95 Posts

we are getting better, games are the same