thebest31406

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 thebest31406
Member since 2004 • 3775 Posts
For the past several weeks, I've notice that the Shield receive very little reaction from the fans.  Which is strange because not too long ago they were red hot. Now it seems that the group receive cheers and boos here and there but nothing widespread.  Are fans done with the Shield?
Avatar image for goldenagenick24
goldenagenick24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 goldenagenick24
Member since 2007 • 340 Posts
For the past several weeks, I've notice that the Shield receive very little reaction from the fans.  Which is strange because not too long ago they were red hot. Now it seems that the group receive cheers and boos here and there but nothing widespread.  Are fans done with the Shield?thebest31406
I think the WWE painted themselves in a corner.  When they were red hot they were aloud to promo all they want about the guys they were facing (who were other focal points of the show.)  Now they're facing the Uso's they're not getting as much TV time.  I think they just need more promo time, because they're still impressing crowds during matches.  That goes for the Uso's too.  And the midcard titles.  EVERYONE besides the WWE Championship feud and CM Punk need more promo time.  
baltimore088

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 baltimore088
Member since 2007 • 16738 Posts

thought they were stale for awhile, had a good injustice gimmick and actually worked then just went to attacking faces that had nothing to do with anything and no injustice occurred, if they kept injustice and went after both heels and faces I would have liked them better and maybe a leader but never liked  the blend of them with roman reigns in there who just doesn't fit IMO, and then when they all got titles I knew it was over because that ends the "less is more" rule and they started randomly losing on SD which no one watches and uggh so many things were done wrong if you ask me

personally would like them to all split up or maybe just ambrose and rollins be together or something but a different gimmick 

Avatar image for StaticKornSlipX
StaticKornSlipX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4 StaticKornSlipX
Member since 2003 • 8261 Posts

If that last hour of Raw went back to TV-14 and the WWE writing moves back into more adult themes, then they wouldn't have problem keeping The Shield fresh and cutting edge....which other wrestlers need as well. Established guys like Jericho, Orton, Cena, and CM Punk don't need this change but a lot of the guys they are trying to push need a fresh setting where they can succeed and can flourish for many years to follow.

I know some of you guys who didn't witness the Monday Night Wars won't understand this but that was the Golden Age of professional wrestling. Fresh gimmicks, fresh storylines; basically fresh everything. The business was booming and guys like The Shield and many of these other up and coming wrestlers would have thrived in that setting.

Avatar image for goldenagenick24
goldenagenick24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 goldenagenick24
Member since 2007 • 340 Posts

I know some of you guys who didn't witness the Monday Night Wars won't understand this but that was the Golden Age of professional wrestling. Fresh gimmicks, fresh storylines; basically fresh everything. The business was booming and guys like The Shield and many of these other up and coming wrestlers would have thrived in that setting.

StaticKornSlipX
Eh.  I'm much more of a fan of the era before that with Hart, Michaels as the top dogs.  I'd rate Hart-Michales over Austin-Rock anyday of the week.  What do I know though, because that's when the company wasn't doing so hot. :P

There's no doubt the talent is there.  The current roster could (for the most part) wrestle circles around most of the Attitude Era guys.  I don't think it'd hurt to take SOME elements from the Attitude Era.  Now we no longer have to deal with guys who had very flat or one-dimensional characters (Benjamin, Morrison, Kofi, etc).  People like The Wyatt Family, The Shield, The Ascension.  They're all gimmicks that are paying off extremely well.  I think a very new exciting era of wrestling is ushering in.  
thebest31406

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 thebest31406

[QUOTE="thebest31406"]For the past several weeks, I've notice that the Shield receive very little reaction from the fans.  Which is strange because not too long ago they were red hot. Now it seems that the group receive cheers and boos here and there but nothing widespread.  Are fans done with the Shield?goldenagenick24
I think the WWE painted themselves in a corner.  When they were red hot they were aloud to promo all they want about the guys they were facing (who were other focal points of the show.)  Now they're facing the Uso's they're not getting as much TV time.  I think they just need more promo time, because they're still impressing crowds during matches.  That goes for the Uso's too.  And the midcard titles.  EVERYONE besides the WWE Championship feud and CM Punk need more promo time.  

Yeah.  I also think the group needs more meaningful matches.  Fighting the Usos' all week doesn't mean a thing and is certainly a step down from battling the likes of Hell No and Undertaker.  And you right; main event guys get far too much promo time.  They milk guys like Cena, Jericho and Punk dry while the others get very little to no time on the mic to shine.

thebest31406

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 thebest31406

thought they were stale for awhile, had a good injustice gimmick and actually worked then just went to attacking faces that had nothing to do with anything and no injustice occurred, if they kept injustice and went after both heels and faces I would have liked them better and maybe a leader but never liked  the blend of them with roman reigns in there who just doesn't fit IMO, and then when they all got titles I knew it was over because that ends the "less is more" rule and they started randomly losing on SD which no one watches and uggh so many things were done wrong if you ask me

personally would like them to all split up or maybe just ambrose and rollins be together or something but a different gimmick 

baltimore088

The 'injustice gimmick was perfect for them and I believe it was something that the fans could relate to.  That's something that the WWE use to do; use gimmicks that were at least somewhat socially relevant.  Now the gimmick has been diminished to the point where the fans aren't sure of who the Shield is and what they do.  Imagine if Steve Austin wasn't allowed to thrash authority; no middle fingers, no Austin vs. Mcmahon, no chairshots, no curse words, etc...what would be of Austin? Granted, Austin by himself was talented and charismatic enough to survive the business anyway but it helps not having your legs cut from under you while your hands is tied behind your back.  The injustice gimmick is great but it's only as great as the WWE allows it to be.

As far as Reigns, I like him but he's starting to stick out as being nothing more than some rockstar bodyguard.  When they were doing promos I didn't feel that way because he was actually allowed to speak.  Now he doesn't do anything and frankly, neither does Rollins, which leaves Ambrose as the de facto lead of the group - a trend that is in direct contrast to what the Shield are suppose to stand for.  I think if Reigns talked more, I'd feel better about him.

thebest31406

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 thebest31406

If that last hour of Raw went back to TV-14 and the WWE writing moves back into more adult themes, then they wouldn't have problem keeping The Shield fresh and cutting edge....which other wrestlers need as well. Established guys like Jericho, Orton, Cena, and CM Punk don't need this change but a lot of the guys they are trying to push need a fresh setting where they can succeed and can flourish for many years to follow.

StaticKornSlipX

Their 'injustice' gimmick was fabulous but gimmicks can't work well if they're censored and restricted.  Again, as great as Austin was, he wouldn't be the man that he is now if he weren't allowed to use his gimmick to it's full potential.  A friend of mine told me that he too believes that the Shield could be great but today's era just isn't ready for them.  Today's wrestling is much too contrived for a group like the Shield to become genuinely successful.