Starshine_M2A2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 19

#1 Starshine_M2A2
Member since 2006 • 5593 Posts

My newest editorial on the pacific miniseries can be found here.

If this one could please be given some attention, I would appreciate it as my last three editorials went ignored.

zyxe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2 zyxe  Moderator
Member since 2005 • 5343 Posts

First, my apologies we have not critiqued all of your submissions. You are quite prolific which is a great thing, but I have tried to spread the critique around to make sure other members get their works critiqued as well. You were not ignored, and I read most of your work, but I lack time to critique them all. We are hoping that our other Justicars step up and take on some of the work load soon.

That said, I found this piece to be interesting as usual, but there's something about it that is bothering me, and I can't quite put my finger on it. It's almost like you're giving too much of a summary and not enough of your own commentary, but when I reread it, I noticed a bit more thought put into the descriptions of the movies you were discussing. I guess one of my problems is that it feels more encyclopedic than editorial. It's good, don't get me wrong, but I was left wanting a bit more of "you" in the piece. I really want to know what you think about how the portrayal of heroism has changed over the decades.

I do feel there was a missed opportunity to bring gaming into this analysis, and illustrate how gaming may or may not be following this same trajectory regarding heroism, especially with you having posted it to the AUB. I get that the AUBs don't have to revolve around gaming, but when there's such an obvious tie-in, it feels like an oversight NOT to include it.

Starshine_M2A2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#3 Starshine_M2A2
Member since 2006 • 5593 Posts

First, my apologies we have not critiqued all of your submissions. You are quite prolific which is a great thing, but I have tried to spread the critique around to make sure other members get their works critiqued as well. You were not ignored, and I read most of your work, but I lack time to critique them all. We are hoping that our other Justicars step up and take on some of the work load soon.

That said, I found this piece to be interesting as usual, but there's something about it that is bothering me, and I can't quite put my finger on it. It's almost like you're giving too much of a summary and not enough of your own commentary, but when I reread it, I noticed a bit more thought put into the descriptions of the movies you were discussing. I guess one of my problems is that it feels more encyclopedic than editorial. It's good, don't get me wrong, but I was left wanting a bit more of "you" in the piece. I really want to know what you think about how the portrayal of heroism has changed over the decades.

I do feel there was a missed opportunity to bring gaming into this analysis, and illustrate how gaming may or may not be following this same trajectory regarding heroism, especially with you having posted it to the AUB. I get that the AUBs don't have to revolve around gaming, but when there's such an obvious tie-in, it feels like an oversight NOT to include it.

zyxe

Thanks for the input, zyxe. Great as always :)

Also, I wasn't referring to you personally when I said critiques were slow. But you and Saigo seem to be the only justicars active on this board when there are supposed to be a lot more of you guys. I think if the others had seriously wanted to take up the role, they should be more committed.

zyxe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4 zyxe  Moderator
Member since 2005 • 5343 Posts
I know it wasn't personal :) I also think you have some valid points. We are trying to work on this behind the scenes and get more action going here. Your input is always valued, too.