behindtheword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 behindtheword
Member since 2013 • 25 Posts

Hello, I'm not looking to become a blogger, or a journalist.  I am looking to have a single article posted that was written between myself and several other gamefaq board members.  Technically that would make us Gamespot board members.  I am unsure of where to submit, and this seems the only logical spot to find information on this without going around in circles or loops of signing up for a job I'm not interested in.

I apologize if this thread is unwanted, or if somehow this is answered in the stickies, as from what I had read, it most certainly is not.  I recall ages ago, prior to CBS's takeover, that Gamespot actually had a direct link at the bottom for independent article submissions, or something similar.

Perhaps I should make my case.  Dragon Quest 9 is a game with online functionality, and an online store called DQVC.  This store was recently taken down without any notice.  This happened a year ago, and after some discussions between Nintendo and Square-Enix, we, the DQ9 community, found SE runs the servers, and they were fixed.  This time around SE denies at every turn, and plays a game sending us back to Nintendo, who in turn sends us back to SE, only Nintendo has credible information and detailed information that indicate they're still run by SE.

We're frustrated and upset, as we've been at this for the past 2 months straight, and still denials and nothing has been done.

So I opted to write an article, and after several edits, a final version was posted on the GameFAQs Dragon Quest 9 message forum (Gamestop as well of course given their link).  It is well researched, but over the 500 word limit as discussed in the sticky, nor is there any possible way to convey the same message in 500 words or less.  I also wrote it, in a way that I believe will keep any reader focused, with the intended audience being Square-enix, and the second intended audience the gaming public.

Again, I am not looking for a job, just a way to submit this.  I find it disconcerting how difficult it has become for independent work to be posted on any gameing news site, as opposed to more traditional sources.

There are many implications that come with this travesty, and this article addresses some of them, at least in the general sense.  If this is to be something that at least one or another writer carries along as their own personal cause, I would welcome that.  This is a worthy cause as it reflects on Square Enix's draconian policies, and negative attitude towards the gaming public as a whole, especially the fanbase of one SE's core line up, Dragon Quest.  We're not looking to snipe them, or attack them, just to respectfully explain the situation and hopefully find a resolution, and at the very least an official statement on the status of DQVC (nothing is posted on the main game website) and into the future.

Sorry for making this body of text so long and arduous to read, but I'll ask again: where would I post or submit this? 

zyxe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 zyxe  Moderator
Member since 2005 • 5343 Posts

Hello there, and welcome to the GSWRT.

While I'm not an official GS staffer, this IS the place to come to have a chance at being featured. The GSWRT is a place to post work and have them critiqued by us Justicars, GS' sanctioned helpers. Unfortunately, and I will be quite honest, there has been a lack of staff present in this officially sanctioned union over the last few months (I suspect it has something to do with some staffing changes at GS making people work harder than usual to try to fulfill their own duties and the duties of those who are no longer around), and I'm unsure if or how this changes the focus of the union and the possibilities you have at being featured in the future.

That said, I suggest that you follow the advice posted in the stickied threads, which include writing your article as a blog and submitting it as an "editorial". You may also post it here for critiques by us Justicars, which will get your name out there and get us familiar with your work. At some point, it was promised to us Justicars that we would have some influence over what user submissions may be featured, and this has happened with some Chalk Talk features but has not happened in a few months, since before E3.

Also, I'm not sure where you got the idea that posts should be less than 500 words; the only reference to word count I recall is for Chalk Talk submissions which actually have a minimum requirement of 500 words. If you saw something stating otherwise, let me know and I'll look into it.

I hope this helps a little,

-z

behindtheword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 behindtheword

That was [very] helpful, not exactly what I was looking for, but it did give me some ideas.  I skimmed the stickies, and I guess the 500 word max in the sticky at the top, referring to Chalk Talk submissions stuck with me, and I wrongly assumed it to be the only method of editorializing a post.

Edit: sorry, I realize that initial sentence sounded condescending, and I did not mean it that way.  So it's changed above.  Your post is very helpful and did give me some new ideas to approach this.

Given every post I've read seems to be, post in blog or post article, then link, I'll just do that instead, then link to it here.
behindtheword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 behindtheword

My blog entry/article, for critique:

http://www.gamespot.com/users/behindtheword/show_blog_entry.php?topic_id=m-100-26037011

zyxe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 zyxe  Moderator
Member since 2005 • 5343 Posts

Don't worry, I don't think anyone took offense (I certainly did not, I took it for exactly what you'd said). Part of the reason that people post these submissions in blogs is because marking them as "editorial" puts them up for some kind of review for the AUB (Awesome User Blogs) on the front page. Admittedly, I do not know what the process is for this review but that's one way to go about getting noticed.

I like it when people post in blogs because it drums up community support and gets it out there for your friends to see and comment on instead of being secluded here.

I did a brief read of your article earlier, I will give it some time at least by this weekend. Looking forward to it!

That was [very] helpful, not exactly what I was looking for, but it did give me some ideas.  I skimmed the stickies, and I guess the 500 word max in the sticky at the top, referring to Chalk Talk submissions stuck with me, and I wrongly assumed it to be the only method of editorializing a post.

Edit: sorry, I realize that initial sentence sounded condescending, and I did not mean it that way.  So it's changed above.  Your post is very helpful and did give me some new ideas to approach this.

Given every post I've read seems to be, post in blog or post article, then link, I'll just do that instead, then link to it here.behindtheword