The Last Of Us Multiplayer Gameplay has leaked!

This topic is locked from further discussion.

tonitorsi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 0

#1 tonitorsi
Member since 2006 • 8692 Posts

The_Last_of_US_Game_HD_Wallpaper_1920x10

Multiplayer Gameplay Premiere

Multiplayer Screens

3298_Execution-pin-TLOU-MP.jpg
3304_Plank-attack-TLOU-MP.jpg
3301_Flamethrower-TLOU-MP.jpg
bmUploads_2013-06-03_3303_molotov-throw-
bmUploads_2013-06-03_3297_Elim2-One-life

Other Information

The premise is that The Last Of Us multiplayer involves the player choosing to join one of two teams two groups of humans taken from the singleplayer portion of the game. Well not spoil anything in terms of names, but chances are if youve been keeping an eye on the game recently youll have some idea of who were referring to.

Whichever you choose, you can then begin to customise your character in terms of appearance (with various options for hats, masks, helmets and gestures most of which will need unlocking rather than being available from the start) and you can also design an emblem, although youre really pulling from pre-made shapes rather than creating your own.

More interesting are the load-outs there are four default ones (assault, sniper, support and stealth) and four custom slots. Each has a small and large weapon (for example, the stealth class has a silenced 9mm pistol and a bow) and there are also additional bolt-on skills, like Covert Training 2, which lets you crouch-walk without showing up on an opponents Listen Mode tracking.

Yep, Listen Mode is in, although unlike the single player in Factions its limited to a few seconds at a time before it recharges. Generally keeping still will mean youre not visible to others, but the skill mentioned above at least lets you move undetected, albeit slowly.

Other skills available from the off include the ability to craft items (something the single player game is heavily focused on) in half the time, the snipers deadly Sharpshooter 3 (less scope sway and regenerating health for headshots) and the ability to know when youve been marked. There are also one-use boosters, but youll need to grow your clan population before you can use those.

When you select a clan, youll get a handful of survivors too. The aim is to play matches over a series of days and weeks (each match represents a day) and get enough supplies out on the battlefield to slowly grow your survivor count. Pretty much everything you do in a battle is translated into supplies, including crafting and healing.

The two game modes are Supply Raid and Survivors. Supply Raid sees players from each clan scavenging for supplies with a twenty-life limit, although anything crafted or bought is carried over if you die (assuming there are lives left). Survivors is more brutal: once youre dead youre dead until the end of the round, and there are seven rounds for each match.

Both game types allow up to four players per team, eight players maximum.Pushsqaure

The gameplay itself is perhaps a little less inspired. Stealth is a much bigger emphasis, with maps littered with deserted cars and derelict buildings. Youll find yourself in a prone position most of the time, weaving around the extremities of the arenas in order to get the angle on your opponents. Without a true cover system the game simply detects when youre near walls and allows you to hug them tightly it can be difficult to peak around corners, but with practice youll eventually learn the best method to position your protagonist in order to scout out adversaries without giving yourself away. As youd expect, gunfire prompts you to appear on your enemys radar, so its best to be as deadly and quiet as possible at all times.

Of course, its impossible to avoid chokeholds, and when youre caught in a conflict, youll have a handful of options. You can sprint away from danger to lose your pursuers or drop a smoke bomb if youve managed to craft one earlier. You can also engage in a fist-fight if youre close enough to your opponent, with each successful brawl or firefight unlocking the prospect of a deadly execution sequence. Fail to follow through with the finisher, and your enemies will have a short window of opportunity to resurrect their fallen partner, making ruthlessness a key attribute in the wasteland.

Previews

There has been a lot of buzz about The Last of Us' multiplayer. From grand statements that it will 'change gaming forever' to more than a fair bit of intrigue from the wider community, Naughty Dog has deliberately remained quiet on what it had planned. The time has now arrived for the developer to lift the lid.

Tying into the single-player, The Last of Us' online offering sees you choose a clan and then join in the effort to stay alive in the game's post-apocalyptic world. In order to introduce a sense of tension, though, you're only given 12 in-game weeks to do this (each match corresponds to a single day).

It's not just as simple as shooting people in the face so you don't succumb to the worst fate possible, either. Above all else, securing and protecting supplies is imperative to the survival effort. These resources become yet more important as your group grows. While lodging a bullet between someone's eyes will help in your quest, so do assists, revives, crafting items and physically picking up supply drops, obviously. It expands further than this too: members of your posse can suffer from sickness or get mauled by a pack of infected between matches. Overcoming such obstacles requires you to engage in specific missions you'll be set in upcoming rounds, such as achieving a certain amount of melee kills or headshots.

It is, to be frank, a very intelligent and well put together idea, and one that unlike many multiplayer modes actually connects to what you've experienced with the game's core narrative. Whether or not the premise is as good as the execution is another thing, mind.

While short, I did enjoy what I played, and the survival-based concepts are far more fascinating than blasting someone in the skull. You can jump into a game of Survivor essentially an all-out deathmatch but with no respawns or Supply Raid where you scavenge for items and have a team pool of 20 lives. It's nice to have a new focus in terms of what you're usually asked to do in a shooter, and the foundations here do work. I just can't see it gripping me in the same way, as say, Gears Of War has managed to do on multiple occasions.

PhazonBlazer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#2 PhazonBlazer
Member since 2007 • 12013 Posts

Hmmm...I'm interested!

Avatar image for ninjapirate2000
ninjapirate2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 ninjapirate2000
Member since 2008 • 3347 Posts

I was skeptical of the MP but that sounds pretty awesome!

Badosh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#5 Badosh
Member since 2011 • 12774 Posts
Hmm. Buying either way, may be a good bonus.
Led_poison

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Led_poison
Member since 2004 • 10146 Posts
Sounds like RDR: Undead nightmare
PSP107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 PSP107
Member since 2007 • 18797 Posts
Sounds boring.
silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts
My ps3 will be turned on after collecting dust for a year, yay./
tonitorsi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 tonitorsi

Sounds like RDR: Undead nightmareLed_poison

But with Stealth, classes, Flamethrowers, crafting and a better third person experience overall :P

I'd love ND to pull this one off.

The concept behind this has a lot pf potential if done right.

tagyhag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 tagyhag
Member since 2007 • 15874 Posts
Sounds like an upgrade to UC's coop MP. Mite b cool, at least it isn't just a crappy versus MP. I doubt it's going to be open world though, not even the SP is open world. I assume it's going to be just big areas.
Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60714 Posts
Sounds pretty fun, will have to try it out.
hexashadow13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 hexashadow13
Member since 2010 • 5157 Posts
Sounds very interesting. Ultimately, if ND messed up though, this will be the place. Really hope they can get this right. Also: "An assortment of Deathmatch game types." Seems classic multi-player modes will still be there.
tonitorsi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 tonitorsi

GOTY CONFIRMED. DA GODS HAVE DONE IT AGAIN. YES!!

http://i.imgur.com/QCPN0.gif

TheGuardian03

Amen.

Only 13 Days left

other_preach_gif.gif

RR360DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 RR360DD
Member since 2011 • 14099 Posts

Hmm interesting.

I'll check it out when it becomes f2p :P

PhazonBlazer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 PhazonBlazer

So is this co-op vs AI or player vs player?

Really hope it's co-op vs AI.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Heil68

PhazonBlazer
Yeahm co-op would be nice, hope it's in there.
hexashadow13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 hexashadow13
Member since 2010 • 5157 Posts
Some wierd stuff too about curses, hexes. Also: "Purchase the PlayStation® Character Skins Pack from the PlayStation®Store now!" "Purchase the Uncharted: Drakes Fortune Multiplayer Pack from the PlayStation®Store now!" Wat? "View Orbit Camera" "MACHINIMA Machinima mode Downloading to Local Files..." So I guess we'll have video features. Also, what are fireflies? Mentioned a lot...
tonitorsi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 tonitorsi

PhazonBlazer

The Code hinted at players taking the role of "enemies".

How exactly this will transition to the multiplayer is unknown.

I assume this could be like Uncharted 3's Hunter Mode where players a placed in a map with AI enemies. Or could be like Gears 3's Horde Mode where players take the role of monster plyayers vs the human players.

Xaero_Gravity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Xaero_Gravity
Member since 2011 • 9856 Posts

Hmmm...I'm interested!

PhazonBlazer
I've got some friends interested in playing with you, me, Chele. So if this info turns out to be true, TLOU will completely own our lives. :o
Badosh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Badosh
[QUOTE="RR360DD"]

Hmm interesting.

I'll check it out when it becomes f2p :P

Desmonic
Y u no pay devs brah!? :P

He'd rather pay M$.
OctaBech

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 OctaBech
Member since 2008 • 276 Posts
Sounds made up, actually the details fit that 360 XBLA zombie game.
PhazonBlazer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 PhazonBlazer

[QUOTE="PhazonBlazer"]

Hmmm...I'm interested!

Xaero_Gravity

I've got some friends interested in playing with you, me, Chele. So if this info turns out to be true, TLOU will completely own our lives. :o

Sweet, unfortunately I wasn't able to get the survival edition, the guy at Gamestop told me it was soldout (even though it's not sold out on the Gamestop online store)

Xaero_Gravity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Xaero_Gravity

[QUOTE="Xaero_Gravity"][QUOTE="PhazonBlazer"]

Hmmm...I'm interested!

PhazonBlazer

Sweet, unfortunately I wasn't able to get the survival edition, the guy at Gamestop told me it was soldout (even though it's not sold out on the Gamestop online store)

That sucks. Chele won't be getting his copy until the 20th according to Amazon, so at least you get to play it before he does. :P
tonitorsi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 tonitorsi

Sounds made up, actually the details fit that 360 XBLA zombie game.OctaBech

No, these details come straight from a source code someone leaked. Basically, everything the Multiplayer portion of the game contains, its found in this leak.

It looks like a story integrated with multiplayer. Which is something astronomically different from the norm.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Heil68
[QUOTE="PhazonBlazer"]

Hmmm...I'm interested!

Xaero_Gravity

I could play too you lousy bastard :P
Avatar image for deactivated-59b71619573a1
deactivated-59b71619573a1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 deactivated-59b71619573a1
Member since 2007 • 38222 Posts

That actually sounds more awesome than the SP :P

At least the concept does. 

Xaero_Gravity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Xaero_Gravity

[QUOTE="OctaBech"]Sounds made up, actually the details fit that 360 XBLA zombie game.tonitorsi

No, these details come straight from a source code someone leaked. Basically, everything the Multiplayer portion of the game contains, its found in this leak.

It looks like a story integrated with multiplayer. Which is something astronomically different from the norm.

I just want you to know that I fvcking hate you. You've managed to make the next 12 days even more impossible to sit through. :evil:
Xaero_Gravity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Xaero_Gravity

Hmmm...I'm interested!

Heil68

I could play too you lousy bastard :P

Good, you better!
PhazonBlazer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 PhazonBlazer

Do I hear The Last of Us gamenights?

Zaibach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#34 Zaibach
Member since 2007 • 13466 Posts

would have thought the Naughty Gods would have released a beta to work out the kinks in what sounds like an ambitious MP

finalstar2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#35 finalstar2007
Member since 2008 • 27952 Posts

PlayStation.. where Game of The Year's are at!!

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 clyde46
Member since 2005 • 49061 Posts
Sounds much like Day Z to be honest.
Kid_Black_Star

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#37 Kid_Black_Star
Member since 2009 • 506 Posts

First day buy hands down!

tonitorsi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 tonitorsi

PUSH game night in two weeks everyone? or PUSH vs HYPE? TheGuardian03

Not+bad.gif

This could be arranged :P

Badosh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Badosh

PUSH game night in two weeks everyone? or PUSH vs HYPE?

doesn't sound like anyone is interested i guess.

TheGuardian03
PUSH doesn't exist anymore. He died a painful death.
Xaero_Gravity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Xaero_Gravity

Desmonic
That sucks. Chele won't be getting his copy until the 20th according to Amazon, so at least you get to play it before he does. :P

Sooo...what exactly is the difference between say the Joel/Ellie edition and the Survival Edition? I got the Joel Edition pre-ordered btw. It seems to contain the same content as the Survival one...or am I wrong?...

The Joel/Ellie editions are exclusive to Europe and have different content from the Survial Edition.

Joel Edition

[spoiler]  [/spoiler]

Ellie Edition

[spoiler]  [/spoiler]

Survival Edition

[spoiler]  [/spoiler]
musalala

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 musalala
Member since 2008 • 3131 Posts

If this is true props to them for trying something differnt and actually creating a multiplayer that actually compliments the overall vision on the game

Oil_Rope_Bombs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Oil_Rope_Bombs
Member since 2010 • 2667 Posts
Wow, sounds really interesting. They weren't lying when they said it wouldn't feel tacked on. I imagine it's gonna be like RDR free roam multiplayer, which I loved.
Zaibach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#44 Zaibach
Member since 2007 • 13466 Posts

[QUOTE="TheGuardian03"]

Badosh

HYPE beasts in game nights

Dead-Memories

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 190

#46 Dead-Memories
Member since 2008 • 6587 Posts

ND has proven with Uncharted 2 and 3 that they can offer great mutliplayer. the multiplayer would be the only reason I would check this game out, since UC 2 and 3 were such terrible single player experiences. 

will have to see some more impressions before i commit. 

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 mems_1224
Member since 2004 • 56919 Posts
That sounds interesting but Im still really skeptical about it since we haven't seen a single video of multiplayer gameplay. Either way, I wont get to try it out because of Sony's bullshit online codes. Oh well.
Avatar image for deactivated-5c03000d4b1b4
deactivated-5c03000d4b1b4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 deactivated-5c03000d4b1b4
Member since 2010 • 1750 Posts
Sounds interesting! Would love to try out the beta
WiiMan21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#49 WiiMan21
Member since 2007 • 8191 Posts

Very interesting, I'm not holding my breathe but it sounds awesome.

AND it would explain why it took them ages to reveal the damn thing :P 

Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

#50 Blabadon
Member since 2008 • 33030 Posts

[QUOTE="Badosh"][QUOTE="TheGuardian03"]

Zaibach

HYPE beasts in game nights

This is only because I suck so much ass at Uncharted 2's MP I bring PUSH down. Also, because XV usually joins HYPE