Killzone 4 Uses Raytracing For Its Real-Time Reflections

This topic is locked from further discussion.

legalize82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2 legalize82
Member since 2013 • 2293 Posts
i know what hermits think... my 3000$ pc doesnt look that impressive anymore... 60fps is the only thing they have left but for how long ?
legalize82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 legalize82
[QUOTE="MonsieurX"][QUOTE="legalize82"]i know what hermits think... my 3000$ pc doesnt look that impressive anymore... 60fps is the only thing they have left but for how long ?

I lol'd

its true... hermits know whats coming when they show final build.. i see the future hermits hiding behind their sli- cards bu but but nvidia told us
legalize82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 legalize82
[QUOTE="MonsieurX"][QUOTE="legalize82"][QUOTE="MonsieurX"] I lol'd

its true... hermits know whats coming when they show final build.. i see the future hermits hiding behind their sli- cards

PS4 is already outdated anyway.

outdated console does raytracing haha... owhh and ND didnt even show their games
legalize82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 legalize82
[QUOTE="MonsieurX"][QUOTE="legalize82"][QUOTE="MonsieurX"] PS4 is already outdated anyway.

outdated console does raytracing haha... owhh and ND didnt even show their games

So ND = teh power house games?

ever seen uncharted on ps3 ? ...yes? ... now imagine uncharted on ps4..... droool
R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46281 Posts

thats really not ray tracing just reflection like a mirrorlegalize82

But it's a still image. Of course you can't see the movement of the effect. I'm sorry I don't have any videos  

omglegalize82

If you like that you'll like GTA IV's ENB (aka Icenhancer)

gta4_icenhancer_13_realistic_car_pack_02

legalize82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 legalize82
[QUOTE="Tessellation"][QUOTE="legalize82"][QUOTE="Tessellation"] neither does KZ4 you dweller :cool:

it does watch the movie...accept it

:lol: accept your delusional wet dreams? no thank you..but you can keep crying about it.. :cool:

u got a hard time accepting... u got a 3000$ pc ? and yes it makes me wet cant wait for the final build.. remember transformation killzone 2 from alpha to beta ?
Kinthalis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#8 Kinthalis
Member since 2002 • 5503 Posts

[QUOTE="campzor"][QUOTE="Nintendo_Ownes7"]

Ray Tracing makes images look more realistic.

Ray tracing is capable of simulating a wide variety of optical effects, such as reflection and refraction, scattering, and dispersion phenomena (such as chromatic aberration).

Wasdie

is this the first instance of a console game having it? I may be mistaken, but i think i heard talks of the previous killzone games featuring it.

No. Ray tracing has been used for years to compliment rasterisation. 

A lot of things use various amounts of ray tracing and ray casting to do various work in a game. Ray casting is of course very different than ray tracing and has a completely different use but the idea is the same. It's very processing intensive though. There are often much better ways to get very similar results with much better performance.

Nevermind, the two wokr together and excel at different types of light  rendering.

legalize82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 legalize82

[QUOTE="R4gn4r0k"]

tagyhag

While that looks neat, sometimes people can go overboard on the reflections, making it seem like all the cars are chrome. :P

Sometimes, the least amount of reflection is the most realistic.

I hope devs realise that when using raytracing.

just like crysis.... stand out killzone blend in not stand out.... raytracing
R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 R4gn4r0k

[QUOTE="R4gn4r0k"]

tagyhag

While that looks neat, sometimes people can go overboard on the reflections, making it seem like all the cars are chrome. :P

That looks great too. I'm playing TBOGT now vanilla and it still looks neat too. ^^

I'm interested to see what devs will do with next gen lighting and perhaps (a little) ray tracing in their games.

just like crysis.... stand out killzone blend in not stand out.... raytracinglegalize82

So you've played crysis 3 ?

legalize82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 legalize82

[QUOTE="tagyhag"]

[QUOTE="R4gn4r0k"]

R4gn4r0k

That looks great too. I'm playing TBOGT now vanilla and it still looks neat too. ^^

I'm interested to see what devs will do with next gen lighting and perhaps (a little) ray tracing in their games.

just like crysis.... stand out killzone blend in not stand out.... raytracinglegalize82

So you've played crysis 3 ?

yup and i know crysis does not full creen raytracing and killzone 4 does end of story..
campzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 campzor
Member since 2004 • 34932 Posts

Source

Gaf

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=DDYVcQNgu4Y#

Blasphemy, how can a PC centric gaming website have a story about a console exclusive title? Did we just enter the dark side of gaming? Well, before jumping to early conclusions, know that were simply interesting in the new tech that Killzone 4 is bringing. And since weve been covering ray-tracing this whole time, we find it interesting that Killzone 4 is the first title that offers such a feature in a full length title.

Whats also interesting is that this tech will be further used by other developers who create multiplatform games, thus it will be coming to our platform too. Hopefully. So no, were not going crazy, abandoning the PC or anything. Were simply sharing something that most tech guys will find interesting.

During the Digital Dragons 2013 event, Guerrilla Games held a presentation for Killzone 4, in which Michael Drobot discussed about the lighting techniques that will be supported by this PS4 launch title.

FYI, i have no idea what raytracing is :D

Avatar image for Nintendo_Ownes7
Nintendo_Ownes7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#13 Nintendo_Ownes7
Member since 2005 • 30973 Posts

Ray tracing is capable of simulating a wide variety of optical effects, such as reflection and refraction, scattering, and dispersion phenomena (such as chromatic aberration).

campzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 campzor
Member since 2004 • 34932 Posts

Nintendo_Ownes7
is this the first instance of a console game having it? I may be mistaken, but i think i heard talks of the previous killzone games featuring it.
I_can_haz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 I_can_haz
Member since 2013 • 6511 Posts
:cool: SDC #ThankyouBasedKaz
I_can_haz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 I_can_haz
Member since 2013 • 6511 Posts

poor cows,at it again with the wetdreams :lol:,this been done before even last gen and is not even close to the real raytracing :cool:Tessellation

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#17 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

Crysis 3 uses them too.

"Ray tracing" is a pretty broad term and is used for quite a bit. It's great for dynamic lighting and whatnot. Expect forms of ray tracing to be used a lot in the future.

However we'll not see see ray tracing trump rasterization any time soon. Ray tracing is technically the best way to do rendering as it's the closest we can get to real life. That said, it takes an enormous amount of power to render a scene with ray tracing. Also it wouldn't suddenly improve things like textures and models not to mention particle effects and stuff that effects the atmosphere of the scene.

Ray tracing can be mixed with rasterization for a lot of different things. It's excellent for reflections, so it makes sense that's what Killzone will use it for. It can be used for an amount of indirect lighting too, but after awhile it will cost too much to render.

So this isn't necessarily something the PS4 can do that nothing else can. It's a technique that has been around for decades but has always been too processor intensive to do in real time for the full image.

legalize82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 legalize82
[QUOTE="MonsieurX"][QUOTE="legalize82"][QUOTE="MonsieurX"] That's your opinion.

nop i said fact

And where you got that fact? KZ4 isn't even out yet

lol did u even see the video ? ... from there it only gets better... what so hard to believe huh ?
Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Wasdie  Moderator

[QUOTE="Nintendo_Ownes7"]

campzor

No. Ray tracing has been used for years to compliment rasterisation. 

A lot of things use various amounts of ray tracing and ray casting to do various work in a game. Ray casting is of course very different than ray tracing and has a completely different use but the idea is the same. It's very processing intensive though. There are often much better ways to get very similar results with much better performance.

tagyhag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 tagyhag
Member since 2007 • 15874 Posts
[QUOTE="Nintendo_Ownes7"]

campzor

For reflections I think Crysis 3 did it as well. Now a full ray traced game we still have yet to see.
Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Wasdie  Moderator

[QUOTE="campzor"][QUOTE="Nintendo_Ownes7"]

tagyhag

For reflections I think Crysis 3 did it as well. Now a full ray traced game we still have yet to see.

They've been done as tech demos and on very older games with very simple lighting and geometry. Ray tracing isn't really practical considering rasterisation can provide a nearly identical level of graphical fidelity at a fraction of the performance cost. 

GD1551

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 GD1551
Member since 2011 • 9645 Posts

Now I don't want to be a grammar nazi but they seriously need to hire an editor or proof reader for that website.

tagyhag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 tagyhag

[QUOTE="tagyhag"][QUOTE="campzor"]is this the first instance of a console game having it? I may be mistaken, but i think i heard talks of the previous killzone games featuring it.Wasdie

They've been done as tech demos and on very older games with very simple lighting and geometry. Ray tracing isn't really practical considering rasterisation can provide a nearly identical level of graphical fidelity at a fraction of the performance cost. 

It isn't, but damn that jewelry tech demo was fun to see. :3
Zaibach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#24 Zaibach
Member since 2007 • 13466 Posts

now that something other PC uses it, its no longer impressive or worhty of note

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Wasdie  Moderator

[QUOTE="Wasdie"]

[QUOTE="tagyhag"] For reflections I think Crysis 3 did it as well. Now a full ray traced game we still have yet to see.tagyhag

It isn't, but damn that jewelry tech demo was fun to see. :3

It's interesting seeing Quake 1 and 2 with fully dynamic lighting and amazing reflections when using a low level of ray tracing to render. It's pretty impressive. 

However greatly increase the amount of objects in the world, dynamic lights, particle effects, texture materials, and resolution, and ray tracing becomes impractical. 

timbers_WSU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#26 timbers_WSU
Member since 2012 • 6076 Posts
[QUOTE="I_can_haz"]:cool: SDC #ThankyouBasedKaz

You are thanking him for being a decade late? Nice. Dipshit.
Bazooka_4ME

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Bazooka_4ME
Member since 2008 • 2540 Posts
dat GDDR5...
Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Wasdie  Moderator

now that something other PC uses it, its no longer impressive or worhty of note

Zaibach

It was barely used on the PC becuase it's really not practical. 

It's actually going to be popping up more and more now for various things, especially reflections.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60713 Posts
Sounds fabulous.
osirisx3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 osirisx3
Member since 2012 • 2113 Posts

i saw a video on youtube of 3 ps3s doing race tracying together.

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts
[QUOTE="legalize82"]i know what hermits think... my 3000$ pc doesnt look that impressive anymore... 60fps is the only thing they have left but for how long ?

I lol'd
Sushiglutton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#32 Sushiglutton
Member since 2009 • 9853 Posts
And the PS4 shall set us free :cool:!
MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 MonsieurX
[QUOTE="legalize82"][QUOTE="MonsieurX"][QUOTE="legalize82"]i know what hermits think... my 3000$ pc doesnt look that impressive anymore... 60fps is the only thing they have left but for how long ?

I lol'd

its true... hermits know whats coming when they show final build.. i see the future hermits hiding behind their sli- cards

g0ddyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 g0ddyX
Member since 2005 • 3914 Posts

Epic stuff.
Its a good thing, even if its on PS4, no doubt it will push dev's to better games on PC also.
PC and PS4 is the way for next gen.

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 MonsieurX
[QUOTE="legalize82"][QUOTE="MonsieurX"][QUOTE="legalize82"] its true... hermits know whats coming when they show final build.. i see the future hermits hiding behind their sli- cards

Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts
How come pc gamers don't like ps4? Isn't it just a really well balanced machine without all the windows bllsht?
tagyhag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 tagyhag
How come pc gamers don't like ps4? Isn't it just a really well balanced machine without all the windows bllsht?Heirren
I like the PS4. :P Its power is overblown by some hardcore fans who like buzzwords, but I can't fault the machine itself for that.
menes777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 menes777
Member since 2003 • 2643 Posts

[QUOTE="legalize82"][QUOTE="MonsieurX"] PS4 is already outdated anyway.MonsieurX

They will magically take outdated hardware and make some really good movies! Bu bu but the optimuhzayshun!

legalize82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 legalize82
How come pc gamers don't like ps4? Isn't it just a really well balanced machine without all the windows bllsht?Heirren
1 word AFRAID ... and perhaps justify 3000$ machine ?
jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

[QUOTE="MonsieurX"][QUOTE="legalize82"] outdated console does raytracing haha... owhh and ND didnt even show their games legalize82

ever seen uncharted on ps3 ? ...yes? ... now imagine uncharted on ps4..... droool

Many PC gamers here have consoles as well. I have the three UC games on the PS3. Their graphics aren't that impressive although I love the locales the game takes place in.

osirisx3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 osirisx3
Member since 2012 • 2113 Posts

because they have to be best at everything or it makes them regret spending 1200$ on there pc that they will need to upgrade every 2 years.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 R4gn4r0k

Crysis 3 uses them too.

"Ray tracing" is a pretty broad term and is used for quite a bit. It's great for dynamic lighting and whatnot. Expect forms of ray tracing to be used a lot in the future.

However we'll not see see ray tracing trump rasterization any time soon. Ray tracing is technically the best way to do rendering as it's the closest we can get to real life. That said, it takes an enormous amount of power to render a scene with ray tracing. Also it wouldn't suddenly improve things like textures and models not to mention particle effects and stuff that effects the atmosphere of the scene.

Ray tracing can be mixed with rasterization for a lot of different things. It's excellent for reflections, so it makes sense that's what Killzone will use it for. It can be used for an amount of indirect lighting too, but after awhile it will cost too much to render.

So this isn't necessarily something the PS4 can do that nothing else can. It's a technique that has been around for decades but has always been too processor intensive to do in real time for the full image.

Wasdie

Interesting: Is this the ray tracing that was used in Crysis 3 ?

CDFB6DC39B0D44AD32302687B3EDC5F968034E59

Because I thought that was really impressive in C3, how the light bounced off the water and reflects on the surfaces around it.

Sure, other games do light bouncing off water too, but you can tell it's scripted. In crysis 3 it actually moves dynamically with how the water moves.

HaRmLeSS_RaGe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 HaRmLeSS_RaGe
Member since 2012 • 1330 Posts

After 3 successive flops, I guess you have to come up with new ways to camouflage the mediocrity :?

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Wasdie  Moderator

Because I thought that was really impressive in C3, how the light bounced off the water and reflects on the surfaces around it.

Sure, other games do light bouncing off water too, but you can tell it's scripted. In crysis 3 it actually moves dynamically with how the water moves.

R4gn4r0k

For the reflections on the water I believe they are using a method of ray tracing so they can reflect the world properly. That's it though. Nothing else uses ray tracing. It's just not worth the expense. At the levels of raytracing that you can run on real time you don't really get any benifits that make it look better than normal rasterization and it eats up your performance.

legalize82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 legalize82

[QUOTE="legalize82"][QUOTE="MonsieurX"] So ND = teh power house games?jun_aka_pekto

Many PC gamers here have consoles as well. I have the three UC games on the PS3. Their graphics aren't that impressive although I love the locales the game takes place in.

All of these different modes and gameplay types look phenomenal, thanks to impressive technology and strong artistic design. A stirring soundtrack beautifully complements your journey, drifting between hard-edged riffs and delicate acoustics, depending on the situation. Everything that Drake's Deception attempts, it pulls off with flying colors. This is a beautiful, cohesive, and, most importantly, fun adventure that cements the Uncharted franchise as one of the best around. gamespot--> u
legalize82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 legalize82

[QUOTE="Wasdie"]

Crysis 3 uses them too.

R4gn4r0k

thats really not ray tracing just reflection like a mirror
jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 jun_aka_pekto

Interesting this came up because I've been checking out the state of ray-tracing in games for a few weeks now. All I can say is we're still a long way from fully ray-traced games.

I mean I've dabbled with ray-tracing since the late 80's on the Commodore Amiga and up to now, it's still not practical. Even a simple "ray-traced" game brought my PC to its knees:

pwkQCwV.jpg

legalize82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 legalize82

After 3 successive flops, I guess you have to come up with new ways to camouflage the mediocrity :?

HaRmLeSS_RaGe
killzone 2 9.0 killzone 3 8.5 say again ?
jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 jun_aka_pekto

[QUOTE="R4gn4r0k"]

[QUOTE="Wasdie"]

Crysis 3 uses them too.

legalize82

thats really not ray tracing just reflection like a mirror

What?

legalize82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 legalize82

Interesting this came up because I've been checking out the state of ray-tracing in games for a few weeks now. All I can say is we're still a long way from fully ray-traced games.

I mean I've dabbled with ray-tracing since the late 80's on the Commodore Amiga and up to now, it's still not practical. Even a simple "ray-traced" game brought my PC to its knees:

jun_aka_pekto
wait is over iguess.. no ...?