It looks like the Wii U TECHNICALLY able to play gamecube games?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

simomate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 simomate
Member since 2011 • 1875 Posts

Hi there! Recently I've been reading in a few forums and maybe an article or two that basically say that the Wii U is TECHNICALLY able to play gamecube games but nintendo has disabled this much like how they disabled it with the new model of the Wii. Plus there are no gamecube ports and therefore cannot use gamecube controller. Confused? Well, I just found this article reminding me of this so I'll post the relevant information here.

Hackers have already managed to boot GC code on the Wii U via a back-compat hack, suggesting that the hardware is perfectly capable of running GameCube titles, but the lack of a physical interface with the old controller is the sticking point.

Basically, it seems if you hack the Wii U, you can boot gamecube games on it HOWEVER, its impossible to actually play them due to the lack of gamecube controller.

Here's a video demonstration:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=rlcVdL8r9lk

Unforunately I have no way of telling if a wii u, wii or gamecube was used and furthermore, if any of these supposed hackers actually exist and if they really did manage this. BUT! I wonder... could, in the forseeable future, the wii u be modded to play gamecube games? I myself would not do it, but its interesting to see.

Avatar image for deactivated-57d8401f17c55
deactivated-57d8401f17c55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#3 deactivated-57d8401f17c55
Member since 2012 • 7221 Posts

Yeah it's because Nintendo has used the same CPU architecture as the gamecube for both Wii and Wii U now. They'll put GC games on the Wii U virtual console soon enough though.

ShadowDeathX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4 ShadowDeathX
Member since 2006 • 11698 Posts
Well I've been using my Orange Gamecube controller on my gaming rig using a GC Port to USB converter. Wii U has USB ports.....soooo don't see why someone couldn't write a driver. :P
rubber-chicken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 rubber-chicken
Member since 2009 • 2081 Posts
[QUOTE="ShadowDeathX"]Well I've been using my Orange Gamecube controller on my gaming rig using a GC Port to USB converter. Wii U has USB ports.....soooo don't see why someone couldn't write a driver. :P

Wait... so you can actually play Gamecube games on a Wii U if you have a USB converter for the controller??
Avatar image for YearoftheSnake5
YearoftheSnake5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#6 YearoftheSnake5
Member since 2005 • 9716 Posts

Well I've been using my Orange Gamecube controller on my gaming rig using a GC Port to USB converter. Wii U has USB ports.....soooo don't see why someone couldn't write a driver. :PShadowDeathX

:shock:

I had no idea such a thing existed. *Goes to ebay*

trugs26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 trugs26
Member since 2004 • 7539 Posts

[QUOTE="ShadowDeathX"]Well I've been using my Orange Gamecube controller on my gaming rig using a GC Port to USB converter. Wii U has USB ports.....soooo don't see why someone couldn't write a driver. :PYearoftheSnake5

Yeah, me neither. Despite what most people think, I actually like the feel of the GC controller. I'm gonna go check it out too.

Avatar image for GreekGameManiac
GreekGameManiac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 GreekGameManiac
Member since 2010 • 6439 Posts

[QUOTE="YearoftheSnake5"]

[QUOTE="ShadowDeathX"]Well I've been using my Orange Gamecube controller on my gaming rig using a GC Port to USB converter. Wii U has USB ports.....soooo don't see why someone couldn't write a driver. :Ptrugs26

Yeah, me neither. Despite what most people think, I actually like the feel of the GC controller. I'm gonna go check it out too.

The GC controller is rrally good,bro.

ChubbyGuy40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 ChubbyGuy40
Member since 2007 • 26442 Posts

Yes damn near anything on the HBC for Wii can be ran off Wii-U. This is what happens when Wii-U is running in Wii mode.

They cannot, however, hack the Wii-U itself and add a GC driver/controller emulator. Don't get your hopes up.

WreckEm711

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 WreckEm711
Member since 2010 • 7362 Posts

Yes damn near anything on the HBC for Wii can be ran off Wii-U. This is what happens when Wii-U is running in Wii mode.

They cannot, however, hack the Wii-U itself and add a GC driver/controller emulator. Don't get your hopes up.

ChubbyGuy40
The GC OS was the back door to hacking the Wii to start, you really think they won't use the Wii OS to get to the Wii U? I would agree though that the GC support would be a long way away, GC SD/USB loading on the Wii itself is still in early Beta phases.
nameless12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 nameless12345
Member since 2010 • 15125 Posts

It should be able to considering Wii is just a OCed GC and it does support Wii.

It should also be able to make Wii & GC games prettier than they are on the original consoles. (i.e. HD res, filters, ect.)

WreckEm711

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 WreckEm711

It should be able to considering Wii is just a OCed GC and it does support Wii.

It should also be able to make Wii & GC games prettier than they are on the original consoles. (i.e. HD res, filters, ect.)

nameless12345

In theory, yeah, in practice, possibly not. It depends on how thorough Nintendo was in installing the Wii OS to the Wii U.

Wii games load using cIOS's, GameCube games load using mIOS's. The Wii runs Gamecube games on these mIOS's. IF Nintendo didn't dismantle the Wii OS to remove these mIOS's slots (which I highly doubt they did given their track record on stuff like that, IE non-GCN compatible Wii's), then at best they stubbed them, meaning someone could go in with MMM, remove the stubs, and reinstall the GameCube game OS using dIOS mIOS (think about that name, haha). If those mIOS slots are on there, and only stubbed, the Wii U would be completely compatible with GameCube software. And given that there is already GameCube memory card emulation in the form of NMM, you wouldn't need a Gamecube memory slot, and the Hermes IOS's have done wonders with USB stuff, I don't doubt that they could get Gamecube USB ports working.

DaBrainz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 DaBrainz
Member since 2007 • 7959 Posts
but the drive doesn't take that size disc does it?
WreckEm711

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 WreckEm711
but the drive doesn't take that size disc does it?DaBrainz
You'd have to USB or SD load it, forgot about the drive lol
Vickman178

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Vickman178
Member since 2011 • 866 Posts

[QUOTE="YearoftheSnake5"]

[QUOTE="ShadowDeathX"]Well I've been using my Orange Gamecube controller on my gaming rig using a GC Port to USB converter. Wii U has USB ports.....soooo don't see why someone couldn't write a driver. :Ptrugs26

Nintendo should make a Gamecube styled Wii U Pro controller for when Smash Bros comes out.

simomate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 simomate
Member since 2011 • 1875 Posts
[QUOTE="DaBrainz"]but the drive doesn't take that size disc does it?WreckEm711

So unless you had a computer disc drive that supported the gamecube discs to copy the files you would have to download the games right?
WreckEm711

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 WreckEm711

[QUOTE="WreckEm711"][QUOTE="DaBrainz"]but the drive doesn't take that size disc does it?simomate

So unless you had a computer disc drive that supported the gamecube discs to copy the files you would have to download the games right?

Yeah your drive would have to support mini disc reading, but beyond that all you would need is something like CleanRip and discex.exe to make it readable to the Wii's mIOS. For those who don't have a disc that could read minidiscs, they'd had to do shady stuff to make it run, which a lot of apps don't support.

Megavideogamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#18 Megavideogamer
Member since 2004 • 6554 Posts

IMB provived Power PC tech for the Gamecube, Wii and Wii U

485megahertz, 729megahertz, and 1024 megahertz. (1.24GB) The processors are in the same family. So the Wii U would technically play Gamecube games. Since the Wii processor is still within the Wii U. The Wii processor could play gamecube games since the Gamecube processor was contained within the Wii.

Even the Wii Family edition revision could boot up gamecube games, but since it didn't have gamecube controller ports the GC games couldn't be played. It guess the same is with Wii U.

osirisx3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#19 osirisx3
Member since 2012 • 2113 Posts

its kinda scary nintendo is still using a cpu from the 90s on todays consoles. mind you it is a better version but damn!

nameless12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 nameless12345
Member since 2010 • 15125 Posts

its kinda scary nintendo is still using a cpu from the 90s on todays consoles. mind you it is a better version but damn!

osirisx3

Well, for Nintendo's own games and games made ground-up for WiiU, the CPU won't be a problem.

It may be a different matter when it comes to multi-plats and ports from other systems, however.

But truth be told, I don't think any Nintendo system was all that "dev friendly" to begin with.

For example the NES had problems with sprite flicker if the spites were too big, slowdown if much was happening at once due to relatively slow CPU, only one paralax layer limit, a rather limited color output and a limited sound chip.

If you wanted better than that, you were better off getting a Sega Master System or better yet a NEC Turbografx-16, which had superior graphics and sound. (they even put that up in commercials such as this one)

The SNES also wasn't that easy to develop for due to it's relatively slow CPU altho Nintendo came up with "enhancement chips" such as DSP, SA-1 and Super FX which allowed for games otherwise not possible on the SNES. (you can read about them here)

And the N64 was really a "cluster****" of hardware and software oversight such as limited cartridge space, locked micro-codes, small texture memory (was the same as on PS1 but PS1 could store them in the V-RAM and stream from the CD), high memory latencies, ect., depite otherwise being a more advanced system than the 32-bit CD competition. (the machine received a hardware "boost" in the form of the memory expansion, i.e. "Expansion Pak")

GC fixed a lot of that but still it had a smaller storage space than the competition ("mini DVDs"), non-existent online play (only PSO supported it if I'm not mistaken) and generally, some effort had to be put into programming to get similar effects as on the stronger competition (read: Xbox), hence the system suffered a lot of "watered-down" direct ports from the PS2.

Ironically, the Wii was their most "balanced" system, as it improved what was holding back the GC (more RAM, higher clocks, bigger storage, online, ect.), but it was impressive only for last gen standards.

It had only DX7-level graphics hardware (360 & PS3 DX9-level) so multi-plat games had to be tonned down severely or redesigned completely.

If they put a better GPU in there, the system could output it's games in HD resolutions and ports like CoD: Modern Warfare would be a lot better too.

The WiiU fixes these issues but also has a fair share of shortcommings.

But I think a lot of these issues can be resolved with clever programming as well as future system updates.

If we go by "next-gen specs" speculations, it seems the next Xbox and PS will use a similar setup as the WiiU, i.e. lower clocked CPU + GPGPU design. (as well as possibly touch-screen controllers)

They could very well just be "stronger WiiUs".

The WiiU's GPU is also DX10.1-level and scaling down from DX11-level to DX10.1-level is much easier than it was from DX9-level to DX7-level.

Of course there's the question if people want to see these scaled-down ports, but the possibility is there.

But I personally think a good mixture of 1st party and selected 3rd party games (ideally built ground-up for the WiiU) may suffice for most gamers interested in the system.

Avatar image for enrique_marrodz
enrique_marrodz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 46

#21 enrique_marrodz
Member since 2003 • 2107 Posts
That would be great but I doubt several of my favorite games would even come to DL form. Also, for most games I'm pretty sure the Pro COntroller or the Gamepad itself would suffice, the only thing missing are the analog triggers, but I believe most games could work without them. In any case I have pretty much all the games I ever wanted for my GC and I still have a Wii to play them, so maybe is not that great of a feature unless they add something to these versions.
1timotheous317

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 1timotheous317
Member since 2013 • 25 Posts
Hello, I have been researching Gamecube to usb converters(and vice versa) to play on my Wii- U. I have been calling around and some you order from e-bay are garbage and a rip-off. Do you have a good one in mind...If so has long has it lasted you so far? Please help!