Have Bioware fans gone too far?

• 125 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

HipHopBeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 0

#1 HipHopBeats
Member since 2011 • 2850 Posts

At 1st it was cool seeing fans take a stand agianst deception but now it's just sad. What's even more pathetic is that these are probably the same people who complained about having to pay for the day 1 DLC.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/retake-mass-effect-childs-play-fundraiser-stopped-6367778

http://www.gamespot.com/news/bioware-fans-continue-mass-effect-3-protest-with-cupcakes-6368474

PAX protest http://puresophistry.com/2012/04/04/retakeme3-plans-for-pax-and-future-charitable-involvement/

sune_Gem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#2 sune_Gem
Member since 2006 • 12463 Posts

Starting a fundraiser to help poorly children while getting the ending to your favourite series fixed at the same time? I don't see the wrong in that.

Legendaryscmt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 Legendaryscmt
Member since 2005 • 12532 Posts

Bioware already said they were revisiting the ending. Right now, I think certain "fans" are just complaining just to complain.

Blake135

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Blake135
Member since 2008 • 3994 Posts

Starting a fundraiser to help poorly children while getting the ending to your favourite series fixed at the same time? I don't see the wrong in that.

sune_Gem

^^/Thread

Krelian-co

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 Krelian-co
Member since 2006 • 13274 Posts

Bioware already said they were revisiting the ending. Right now, I think certain "fans" are just complaining just to complain.

Legendaryscmt

the statement they did was vague at best, i personally will believe in bioware when i see it changed, they promised a lot of thing in the ending and none delievered so i wouldn't take their word for it, can be they are just buying time to make this whole ending thing go under the radar.

Avatar image for speedfreak48t5p
speedfreak48t5p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#6 speedfreak48t5p
Member since 2009 • 14420 Posts

[QUOTE="sune_Gem"]

Blake135

^^/Thread

Too bad a lot of the donators wanted their money back when they found out their money was going to children instead of getting them a different ending just for a video game.
Phantom_Leo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#7 Phantom_Leo
Member since 2002 • 7090 Posts

Legendaryscmt

Agree with this ONE-HUNDRED percent.

They will whine and moan, stamp their feet and make their demands... and when the new ending is done, they STILL won't be happy.

When you have ONE entitled kid saying he wants everything HIS way, and then you have another entitled kid saying he wants things HIS way, how do you keep them both happy? Unless they want the exact same thing, it's not going to happen...

I found the best way to deal with BRATS is to ignore them.

Dracula68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Dracula68
Member since 2002 • 33109 Posts
The only way they could ever go too far and set a terrible precedent is to change the ending of ME3.
Krelian-co

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Krelian-co

The only way they could ever go too far and set a terrible precedent is to change the ending of ME3. Dracula68

90% of the people who voted on the polls disagree with you

Dracula68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Dracula68

[QUOTE="Dracula68"]The only way they could ever go too far and set a terrible precedent is to change the ending of ME3. Krelian-co

90% of the people who voted on the polls disagree with you

Sorry I read the title and thought it said Bioware. I meant Bioware as in the company. You do not want to set a precedent where every tom, dick and jane can go and get their undies in a twist and get game companies to cave into their demands.
Phantom_Leo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Phantom_Leo

Sorry I read the title and thought it said Bioware. I meant Bioware as in the company. You do not want to set a precedent where every tom, dick and jane can go and get their undies in a twist and get game companies to cave into their demands.Dracula68

According to analysts, it's a very small percentage of ME3 owners that are complaining VERY loudly.

Something like 70k out of the 3.5 million sold. That's 2%.

IMO, out of Tom, Dick and Harry...

...it's only the Dicks that are complaining.

Dracula68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Dracula68

[QUOTE="Dracula68"]Sorry I read the title and thought it said Bioware. I meant Bioware as in the company. You do not want to set a precedent where every tom, dick and jane can go and get their undies in a twist and get game companies to cave into their demands.Phantom_Leo

According to analysts, it's a very small percentage of ME3 owners that are complaining VERY loudly.

:lol: Priceless post!
sune_Gem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 sune_Gem
Member since 2006 • 12463 Posts

[QUOTE="Blake135"]

[QUOTE="sune_Gem"]

speedfreak48t5p

^^/Thread

Too bad a lot of the donators wanted their money back when they found out their money was going to children instead of getting them a different ending just for a video game.

Forbid the thought that they could be helping the world and not just helping themselves right... :roll:

Some people...

HipHopBeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 HipHopBeats

[QUOTE="Blake135"]

[QUOTE="sune_Gem"]

speedfreak48t5p

^^/Thread

Not to mention the fact that it was clearly stated on the charity page where the money was going.

Avatar image for Shame-usBlackley
Shame-usBlackley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#15 Shame-usBlackley
Member since 2002 • 18266 Posts

They paid $60 for a product they didn't like. They have just as much reason and right to complain as you have to say they don't (assuming you bought the game as well, which if you didn't you have none).

I can't believe I'm hearing people ask if people have "gone too far" by complaining about spending half of a hundred bills on something they weren't happy with. Fuc*ing la-la land. Me? I sort of want to play the game now whereas before I couldn't have cared less about Mass Effect 3. I want to see if the ending is really as shi*ty as they say.

HipHopBeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 HipHopBeats

They paid $60 for a product they didn't like. They have just as much reason to complain as you have to say they don't (assuming you bought the game as well, which if you didn't you have none).

I can't believe I'm hearing people ask if people have "gone too far" by complaining about spending half of a hundred bills on something they weren't happy with. Fuc*ing la-la land.

Shame-usBlackley

And yet, as I mentioned before, these are the same people who raged about paying $10 for day 1 DLC. If you can't see the irony about people readily forking over thousands of dollars to pay for new endings, using a charity as a front, then demanding refunds for cliking a 'pay now' button without reading that the money was actually going to a children's charity, then raising $1000 for cupcakes? After Bioware has stated they are working on new endings? Perhaps you are the one who is in 'la-la land'. Wake up.

GodModeEnabled

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 GodModeEnabled
Member since 2005 • 15314 Posts

They paid $60 for a product they didn't like. They have just as much reason to complain as you have to say they don't (assuming you bought the game as well, which if you didn't you have none).

I can't believe I'm hearing people ask if people have "gone too far" by complaining about spending half of a hundred bills on something they weren't happy with. Fuc*ing la-la land.

Shame-usBlackley
Nah dude whats la la land is the whiny entitlement generation petitioning a company for a new ending to their product. The market is buyer beware bro, too bad the product sucked but that's life. I seen The Phantom Menace in theaters, and it was one the biggest pieces of crap I have seen. I didn't write a godamn petition to George Lucas afterwords though. I went to the gamestore the other day and they were all sold out of RE: ORC. I had to laugh, the people who buy without their research are playing with dynamite, eventually it's gonna blow up in your face. I certainly defend peoples right to complain, but there is a line for everything.
Shame-usBlackley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Shame-usBlackley

And yet, as I mentioned before, these are the same people who raged about paying $10 for day 1 DLC. If you can't see the irony about people readily forking over thousands of dollars to pay for new endings, using a charity as a front, then demanding refunds for cliking a 'pay now' button without reading that the money was actually going to a children's charity, then raising $1000 for cupcakes? After Bioware has stated they are working on new endings? Perhaps you are the one who is in 'la-la land'. Wake up.

HipHopBeats

How do you know they are? I see it as two separate issues -- day one DLC and shi*ty narratives are similar how?

The bottom line is that by buying a product, people are entitled to say what they think about it. Period. If you want to be a dumbass and claim that someone who walked out of a movie and didn't enjoy it is the same as someone who is pissed that the movie is released on DVD followed by an extended edition a week later, be my guest. You're mixing up issues because people are attacking your sacred cow as evidenced by this ridiculous thread about people complaining about how a product they PAID FOR is going "too far." Let them bake all the fuc*ing cupcakes and sign all the petitions they want. What is an alternate ending going to hurt, exactly? Haven't RPGs had multiple endings for, like, ever?

Shame-usBlackley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Shame-usBlackley

[QUOTE="Shame-usBlackley"]

GodModeEnabled

Nah dude whats la la land is the whiny entitlement generation petitioning a company for a new ending to their product. The market is buyer beware bro, too bad the product sucked but that's life. I seen The Phantom Menace in theaters, and it was one the biggest pieces of crap I have seen. I didn't write a godamn petition to George Lucas afterwords though. I went to the gamestore the other day and they were all sold out of RE: ORC. I had to laugh, the people who buy without their research are playing with dynamite, eventually it's gonna blow up in your face. I certainly defend peoples right to complain, but there is a line for everything.

I agree personally, but it's obvious that a LOT of people bought into Mass Effect and were pissed at the ending. I don't think they should EXPECT to have it changed, but I think they should not be mocked for voicing their distaste for the ending any more than someone who liked it getting mocked or shat on.

And while I see your point, it's a little different when you're talking about a $9 investment and two hours of time compared to $195 (3 titles at $60 plus tax) and a good 80 hours or so of time spent. Having been one who watched one of his favorite series get sharted out after a similar investment of time and money, I can say that it PISSES YOU OFF. THe Phantom Menace had a similar backlash, although not as bad because there were still two films left to go, too. If the Phantom Menace ended the Star Wars films, you probably WOULD have seen fans screaming for a new ending. Plus, alternate endings are a staple in games -- especially RPGs.

Ilovegames1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#20 Ilovegames1992
Member since 2010 • 14221 Posts

The term bandwagon has never been more apt in the gaming industry.

HipHopBeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 HipHopBeats

[QUOTE="HipHopBeats"]

Shame-usBlackley

How do you know they are? I see it as two separate issues -- day one DLC and shi*ty narratives are similar how?

The bottom line is that by buying a product, people are entitled to say what they think about it. Period. If you want to be a dumbass and claim that someone who walked out of a movie and didn't enjoy it is the same as someone who is pissed that the movie is released on DVD followed by an extended edition a week later, be my guest. You're mixing up issues because people are attacking your sacred cow as evidenced by this ridiculous thread about people complaining about how a product they PAID FOR going "too far."

I enjoy ME series as much as the next gamer but I fail to see how spending MORE money for something you PAID for resolves anything. Especially when you choose to GIVE MORE money away only to turn around and complain about being charged for new DLC which will not be free if EA has a say in the matter. Online rants and protests is one thing but a charity and cupcake fund is more than ridiculous. It's downright preposterous.

The charity and cupcake funds voids any online b****ing or youtube rants because it shows Bioware that fans would rather hand over even MORE money to fix the deception rather than boycotting the product completely and refusing to buy any future releases. EA / Bioware wins.

Krelian-co

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Krelian-co

[QUOTE="Dracula68"]Sorry I read the title and thought it said Bioware. I meant Bioware as in the company. You do not want to set a precedent where every tom, dick and jane can go and get their undies in a twist and get game companies to cave into their demands.Phantom_Leo

really and how these analysts know this? are they mind readers? why mind readers you say? lets explain:

of the people who bought the game a minority voted, which 90% or so voted that the ending sucked, we don't have any way to know what the people who dont go to forums or participated in polls feel about the ending, your "analysts" or ebtter yet, your biased opinion implies that the rest of the people who didn't vote liked the ending, and if the minority who go to forums reflect those who don't well.... your imaginary analysts are full of bs.

Now lets see links, images proofs, because i can link you 3 or 4 polls that say the ending sucks by a wide margin, or should we still believe your imaginary analysts

Shame-usBlackley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Shame-usBlackley

I enjoy ME series as much as the next gamer but I fail to see how spending MORE money for something you PAID for resolves anything. Especially when you choose to GIVE MORE money away only to turn around and complain about being charged for new DLC which will not be free if EA has a say in the matter. Online rants and protests is one thing but a charity and cupcake fund is more than ridiculous. It's downright preposterous.

The charity and cupcake funds voids any online b****ing or youtube rants because it shows Bioware that fans would rather hand over even MORE money to fix the deception rather than boycotting the product completely and refusing to buy any future releases. EA / Bioware wins.

HipHopBeats

It's a crazy world. Hell, just a few months ago, a game was completely funded by private donations from fans and other dorks.

And yeah, Bioware/EA will probably bend them over again, and they'll probably like it. That's a completely different issue, though. I agree it's more on the ridiculous side , but sixty bills isn't chump change in a bad economy, and dork rage is never pretty.

Phantom_Leo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Phantom_Leo

Ladies and Gentlemen, I give you the 2 Percent!

oh and btw please delete this account as i will not be comming back to gamespot, thanks. too many mods that just "mod" what they feel like it.Krelian-co

You already have no credibility here after your many rant-like posts. I owe you no explanations whatsoever.

csftar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 csftar
Member since 2009 • 937 Posts

So, essentially, you're suggesting that 98% of the people who bought the game liked the ending.

Yeah. Sure.

campzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 campzor
Member since 2004 • 34932 Posts
yes, they are little b*****
juradai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 juradai
Member since 2003 • 2783 Posts

[QUOTE="Phantom_Leo"]

[QUOTE="Dracula68"]Sorry I read the title and thought it said Bioware. I meant Bioware as in the company. You do not want to set a precedent where every tom, dick and jane can go and get their undies in a twist and get game companies to cave into their demands.csftar

So, essentially, you're suggesting that 98% of the people who bought the game liked the ending.

Yeah. Sure.

No, that's not what he is saying. He is merely pointing out that people are making it a bigger deal than what it really is. I'd figure that someone of your stature that ends a post on a dry note could decipher the nuance indicated in the delivery, hence the "VERY loudly" part of his comment.
Lostboy1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#28 Lostboy1224
Member since 2007 • 3425 Posts

[QUOTE="Legendaryscmt"]

Krelian-co

the statement they did was vague at best, i personally will believe in bioware when i see it changed, they promised a lot of thing in the ending and none delievered so i wouldn't take their word for it, can be they are just buying time to make this whole ending thing go under the radar.

This is a possibility. Hope its not going to happen though. If this indeed is the last Mass Effect game in the series then I would appreciate some clarity, but if more are to come then I don't see a real resolution in sight.
Ilovegames1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#29 Ilovegames1992
Member since 2010 • 14221 Posts

Krelian-co

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Krelian-co

Ladies and Gentlemen, I give you the 2 Percent!

[QUOTE="Krelian-co"]oh and btw please delete this account as i will not be comming back to gamespot, thanks. too many mods that just "mod" what they feel like it.Phantom_Leo

You already have no credibility here after your many rant-like posts. I owe you no explanations whatsoever.

hahaha nice post, so basically your arguments is destroyed and you have nothing to say than stupid come backs, keeep making stuff up, ofc you dont have links or images or anything at all

oh and btw couldn't care elss what you think of my cedibility, from someone who makes stupid arguments like saying 98% of the people liked the ending 4 sure, but thanks for caring xD

Krelian-co

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Krelian-co

[QUOTE="Phantom_Leo"]

[QUOTE="Dracula68"]Sorry I read the title and thought it said Bioware. I meant Bioware as in the company. You do not want to set a precedent where every tom, dick and jane can go and get their undies in a twist and get game companies to cave into their demands.csftar

Yeah. Sure.

i know, its even dumb to think that but you know, the imaginay analysts said so.

Krelian-co

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Krelian-co

[QUOTE="Krelian-co"]

[QUOTE="Legendaryscmt"]

Lostboy1224

This is a possibility. Hope its not going to happen though. If this indeed is the last Mass Effect game in the series then I would appreciate some clarity, but if more are to come then I don't see a real resolution in sight.

i know, im really hoping they go the indoctrination theory to be true, would be much more logical and awesome and the ending the series deserved

kaealy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 kaealy
Member since 2004 • 2179 Posts

Wow if you think 70k out of 3.5 million is a bad number to work with and make conclusion, I guess you've never touched statistics in any form.
gpuFX16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 gpuFX16
Member since 2006 • 1296 Posts

I have'nt had the opportunity to play ME3 yet, so I have no opinion on the ending. That said, I find it rather unsettling that Bioware caved in and decided to revisit the closing at all. Bioware are a fairly recognizable name in the industry. If they crack under pressure, so might some other folks. A lot of people like to complain for the sake of complaining and that sort of shallow criticism should'nt influence the content of a game IMO. I honestly believe most of the fans are overreacting and playing a big game of follow the leader.

kaealy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 kaealy

I have'nt had the opportunity to play ME3 yet, so I have no opinion on the ending. That said, I find it rather unsettling that Bioware caved in and decided to revisit the closing at all. Bioware are a fairly recognizable name in the industry. If they crack under pressure, so might some other folks. A lot of people like to complain for the sake of complaining and that sort of shallow criticism should'nt influence the content of a game IMO. I honestly believe most of the fans are overreacting and playing a big game of follow the leader.

gpuFX16
I can just say, that you are wrong. Fans aren't overracting over the ending. Just leave it at that until you've completed it.
gpuFX16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 gpuFX16
Member since 2006 • 1296 Posts

I can just say, that you are wrong. Fans aren't overracting over the ending. Just leave it at that until you've completed it.

kaealy

I may just have to if it is really that horrible as people say. I just don't want developers und publishers changing things as a result of petty whining to become a trend.

Blake135

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Blake135

[QUOTE="gpuFX16"]

kaealy

Im a fan and I hated the ending...The ending did a 180 on everything the ME games were about, *making your own choices* Its like the last 20 minutes was playing some stupid generic Holywood game that just shoves the ending down your throat.

Conjuration

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Conjuration
Member since 2006 • 3562 Posts

Phantom_Leo

God Stuff.

Good stuff. Good stuff.

Blake135

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Blake135

Because im sure EVERY SINGLE person that bought ME3 said Yes they like the ending or no..weird how I got no email asking me my opinion about the ending in the mail.

Krelian-co

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Krelian-co

gpuFX16

a. if you haven't played the game and haven't seen the ending why you assume is overreacting and follow the leader? also the follow the elader argument i think doesn't work here but w/e

b. i don't think is "caving under preasure", if you did something wrong and have the opportunity to change why wouldn't you, is not a matter of "who can win" its a matter of admiting you made a mistake and makig up for it.

c. yes people will always complain about everything but if several polls in bioware forums who are full of biodrones defending bioware 24/7 gets 90% saying the ending sucked, that says something

brucecambell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 brucecambell
Member since 2011 • 1489 Posts

They paid $60 for a product they didn't like. They have just as much reason and right to complain as you have to say they don't (assuming you bought the game as well, which if you didn't you have none).

I can't believe I'm hearing people ask if people have "gone too far" by complaining about spending half of a hundred bills on something they weren't happy with. Fuc*ing la-la land. Me? I sort of want to play the game now whereas before I couldn't have cared less about Mass Effect 3. I want to see if the ending is really as shi*ty as they say.

Shame-usBlackley

They are complaining because they didn't like the last 15 minutes. It is widley agreed upon that entire game up to that point as amazing. If they weren't happy the majority of the way through that would be something to complain about.

But to enjoy all 30 hrs of a game & then claim that 30 hrs is not worth your money all because they disagreed with the last 15 mintues is ridiculous. Lets be honest, how many endings suck these days? A sh** load!

This doesnt mean you demand your money back because you didn't agree with the ending. The complaining has gone too far. Period.

brucecambell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 brucecambell
Member since 2011 • 1489 Posts

[QUOTE="Legendaryscmt"]

Phantom_Leo

Agree with this ONE-HUNDRED percent.

They will whine and moan, stamp their feet and make their demands... and when the new ending is done, they STILL won't be happy.

When you have ONE entitled kid saying he wants everything HIS way, and then you have another entitled kid saying he wants things HIS way, how do you keep them both happy? Unless they want the exact same thing, it's not going to happen...

I found the best way to deal with BRATS is to ignore them.

Yep

Strakha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Strakha
Member since 2003 • 1824 Posts
I think so but people do all kinds of crazy things I think are crazy. As long as they aren't hurting anyone I don't really care what they do. If Bioware does change the ending because of all the complanits I'm not going to play it. As far as I'm concerned the trilogy is over.
Shame-usBlackley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Shame-usBlackley

They are complaining because they didn't like the last 15 minutes. It is widley agreed upon that entire game up to that point as amazing. If they weren't happy the majority of the way through that would be something to complain about.

But to enjoy all 30 hrs of a game & then claim that 30 hrs is not worth your money all because they disagreed with the last 15 mintues is ridiculous. Lets be honest, how many endings suck these days? A sh** load!

This doesnt mean you demand your money back because you didn't agree with the ending. The complaining has gone too far. Period.

brucecambell

I agree with you to a degree, because a lot of games DO end shi*ty and no one says a thing, but who am I (or you, or anyone) to tell them that they have to be happy about it? Here is an important couple of facts though about RPGs:

RPGs are typically HEAVILY STORY-ORIENTED. As such, the ending in an RPG carries more weight than it does in, say, Contra, because the player has invested time and emotional interest in the development of the characters. This is exacerbated when it spans multiple titles. I'm no expert on Mass Effect (I stopped playing after the first game was released broken and unfinished), but I have friends who ARE, and those friends did not play through three games because Mass Effect was a kickass shooter or had amazing animation -- they played it to see how it ended. Anecdotal, sure, but I think it fair to suppose that there were MANY who felt this way.

RPGs have, in the past, offered players several different possible outcomes. Releasing a second (alternate) ending would not hurt the artistic merit of the medium at all. It's been done a number of times in many different genres. Some movies have different endings made when the originally planned one doesn't screen well. One of my favorite series (The Dark Tower) came with an alt ending, which is typically NOT something found in a novel. It irked me at first, but if its inclusion meant it made the fans happy, I came to be fine with it. I just chose to go with the ending I felt suited the story best.

Bottom line? I'm not going to sit here and tell someone who paid way too much time and money on three different games to drink a cup of shut the fuc* up and "quit whining" or any of the other nonsense I'm hearing. If they are unhappy, let them BITC*, they paid plenty to have that right in my opinion, and their beef (at least based on face value) has some merit. Not liking the ending to a series does not seem unreasonable to me, at all. Baking cupcakes? Sure, it's snotty. But who cares? Why would I care if they send Bioware cupcakes? It has no effect on me, and if it gets them an alternate ending, how is that going to hurt you or anyone else in this thread?

rilpas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 rilpas
Member since 2012 • 8161 Posts
haven't played mass effect 3 yet so I don' know what the ending is but really, this petition is just stupid, it's an ending, get over it? I mean what exactly is the ending's problem? everyone dies or something?
tjricardo089

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 tjricardo089
Member since 2010 • 7429 Posts

Gamers are just spoiled now..

Gemini_Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Gemini_Red
Member since 2003 • 3290 Posts

[QUOTE="brucecambell"]

Shame-usBlackley

I agree with you to a degree, because a lot of games DO end shi*ty and no one says a thing, but who am I (or you, or anyone) to tell them that they have to be happy about it? Here is an important couple of facts though about RPGs:

RPGs are typically HEAVILY STORY-ORIENTED. As such, the ending in an RPG carries more weight than it does in, say, Contra, because the player has invested time and emotional interest in the development of the characters. This is exacerbated when it spans multiple titles. I'm no expert on Mass Effect (I stopped playing after the first game was released broken and unfinished), but I have friends who ARE, and those friends did not play through three games because Mass Effect was a kickass shooter or had amazing animation -- they played it to see how it ended. Anecdotal, sure, but I think it fair to suppose that there were MANY who felt this way.

RPGs have, in the past, offered players several different possible outcomes. Releasing a second (alternate) ending would not hurt the artistic merit of the medium at all. It's been done a number of times in many different genres. Some movies have different endings made when the originally planned one doesn't screen well. One of my favorite series (The Dark Tower) came with an alt ending, which is typically NOT something found in a novel. It irked me at first, but if its inclusion meant it made the fans happy, I came to be fine with it. I just chose to go with the ending I felt suited the story best.

Bottom line? I'm not going to sit here and tell someone who paid way too much time and money on three different games to drink a cup of shut the fuc* up and "quit whining" or any of the other nonsense I'm hearing. If they are unhappy, let them BITC*, they paid plenty to have that right in my opinion, and their beef (at least based on face value) has some merit. Not liking the ending to a series does not seem unreasonable to me, at all. Baking cupcakes? Sure, it's snotty. But who cares? Why would I care if they send Bioware cupcakes? It has no effect on me, and if it gets them an alternate ending, how is that going to hurt you or anyone else in this thread?

I have nothing against people complaining, but when people are demanding something that's when things rub me the wrong way. Don't get me wrong some things that are demanded I condone and even encourage, like glitches and framerate issues so bad they make the game unplayable(looks at Bethesda). Demanding a change to the ending because you didn't like it? Bull****

Even worse Bioware is apparently caving, and frankly I think that's bad for the industry. Where does it stop after that? "We don't like this level. Change it!!" "We hate this character, remove him!" and so on. Over the past couple of years, and I'm sure people are tired of hearing the term, some gamers really feel they are entitled to certain things they should have no say of at all. Again, spending 60+ bucks on a game you can't play due to technical issues? Have at it. Spending money on a series that has given people 80+ hours of solid gameplay and complaining to the point of demanding a change of the last 15 minutes? Bull****.

rastotm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 rastotm
Member since 2011 • 1380 Posts

[QUOTE="Shame-usBlackley"]

[QUOTE="brucecambell"]

Gemini_Red

I have nothing against people complaining, but when people are demanding something that's when things rub me the wrong way. Don't get me wrong some things that are demanded I condone and even encourage, like glitches and framerate issues so bad they make the game unplayable(looks at Bethesda). Demanding a change to the ending because you didn't like it? Bull****

Even worse Bioware is apparently caving, and frankly I think that's bad for the industry. Where does it stop after that? "We don't like this level. Change it!!" "We hate this character, remove him!" and so on. Over the past couple of years, and I'm sure people are tired of hearing the term, some gamers really feel they are entitled to certain things they should have no say of at all. Again, spending 60+ bucks on a game you can't play due to technical issues? Have at it. Spending money on a series that has given people 80+ hours of solid gameplay and complaining to the point of demanding a change of the last 15 minutes? Bull****.

If you would have played the game and cared for the storyline, then you should understand. In any case Bioware suggested that they have many and different endings, which was hardly the case. Furthermore your argument 'where does it stop' is completely out of place, wether you like it our not, Mass Effect is a product and as a result depends on the demands of consumers.
It keeps on annoying me that people make up this entitled nonsense, it's a businesses and satisfying the market is the most important aspect of maintaining a durable franchise. If there is any hype or cool thing going on, then it's protecting developers and publishers for reasons that are beyond logic sense.

kaealy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 kaealy
[QUOTE="rilpas"]haven't played mass effect 3 yet so I don' know what the ending is but really, this petition is just stupid, it's an ending, get over it? I mean what exactly is the ending's problem? everyone dies or something?

- The only difference in the endings are colours. - Team members that teleport to places they shouldn't be - Choices you've made up until that point makes zero difference - There's like 20 things that make zero sense - The only ending where shepard survives doesn't make sense either because he should died from another fall from orbit or that all his implants would stop functioning in his body. - They introduce spacejesus 10 min before the ending and a lot that spacejesus says contradicts the established lore. - "To save organic life from being destoryed by synthetic lifeforms, I created synthetic life that destory all organic life" argument is really stupid and makes no sense when another team member tells you that they dealt with the "synthetic life issue" in their cycle. Therefore there shouldn't be an issue right? I don't care if it's spoilers, I am getting really sick of people that hasn't completed the game and are trying to discuss the issue. Bioware said themselves, at more than one occasion that the ending wouldn't be an A, B or C ending. But that is what it is, in its purest form.
rilpas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 rilpas
Member since 2012 • 8161 Posts

[QUOTE="rilpas"]haven't played mass effect 3 yet so I don' know what the ending is but really, this petition is just stupid, it's an ending, get over it? I mean what exactly is the ending's problem? everyone dies or something?kaealy
- The only difference in the endings are colours. - Team members that teleport to places they shouldn't be - Choices you've made up until that point makes zero difference - There's like 20 things that make zero sense - The only ending where shepard survives doesn't make sense either because he should died from another fall from orbit or that all his implants would stop functioning in his body. - They introduce spacejesus 10 min before the ending and a lot that spacejesus says contradicts the established lore. - "To save organic life from being destoryed by synthetic lifeforms, I created synthetic life that destory all organic life" argument is really stupid and makes no sense when another team member tells you that they dealt with the "synthetic life issue" in their cycle. Therefore there shouldn't be an issue right? I don't care if it's spoilers, I am getting really sick of people that hasn't completed the game and are trying to discuss the issue. Bioware said themselves, at more than one occasion that the ending wouldn't be an A, B or C ending. But that is what it is, in its purest form.

that bad heh?

still not really worth all the **** imo, it's bioware afterall, they've been on a steady decline since what? dragon Age 1?