Interesting 3DS CPU Info

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for darth-pyschosis
darth-pyschosis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 darth-pyschosis
Member since 2006 • 9322 Posts

I found this recently

www.3dsbuzz.com/3ds-forum/nintendo-3ds-hardware-10/nintendo-3ds-cpu-processor-wth-1473/

It's people discussing the CPU inside the 3DS, one of the users manages to track down possibly the CPU and its speeds, etc based on the info iFixit found after tearing down the 3DS (you know the place that discovered the 3DS has 128MB RAM, instead of the 64MB IGN reported last year)

Basically what they found was the 3DS's CPU model number leads to a CPU with up to 4 cores, and a clock speed of (the lowest) 800Mhz to 1Ghz, among other things (like basic flash support)

Also the user goes to give a link describing the CPU later in that thread

Any thoughts? Has this been debunked? Or does no one really care to look into it further? Seems pretty legit IMO, but I'm certainly no expert. A 800Mhz-1Ghz sounds nice and all, and the fact that this CPU has up to 4 cores (likely the 3DS one has 2 cores) debunks IGN's claim last year that the 3DS had two CPUs at 266Mhz, since tear downs prove it only has one actual ARM 11 CPU, but that it may be dual core instead of Two CPUs like IGN said. (they were also mistaken when they said the 3DS would have 1.5GB internal storage, it has 2GB)

Any ideas if this is for real and what are your thoughts? Nintendo is usually tight lipped about exact specs and what not.

Spinnerweb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 92

#2 Spinnerweb
Member since 2009 • 2995 Posts

I found this recently

www.3dsbuzz.com/3ds-forum/nintendo-3ds-hardware-10/nintendo-3ds-cpu-processor-wth-1473/

It's people discussing the CPU inside the 3DS, one of the users manages to track down possibly the CPU and its speeds, etc based on the info iFixit found after tearing down the 3DS (you know the place that discovered the 3DS has 128MB RAM, instead of the 64MB IGN reported last year)

Basically what they found was the 3DS's CPU model number leads to a CPU with up to 4 cores, and a clock speed of (the lowest) 800Mhz to 1Ghz, among other things (like basic flash support)

Also the user goes to give a link describing the CPU later in that thread

Any thoughts? Has this been debunked? Or does no one really care to look into it further? Seems pretty legit IMO, but I'm certainly no expert. A 800Mhz-1Ghz sounds nice and all, and the fact that this CPU has up to 4 cores (likely the 3DS one has 2 cores) debunks IGN's claim last year that the 3DS had two CPUs at 266Mhz, since tear downs prove it only has one actual ARM 11 CPU, but that it may be dual core instead of Two CPUs like IGN said. (they were also mistaken when they said the 3DS would have 1.5GB internal storage, it has 2GB)

Any ideas if this is for real and what are your thoughts? Nintendo is usually tight lipped about exact specs and what not.

darth-pyschosis

800-1GHZ in a handheld? Awesome!

darth-pyschosis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 darth-pyschosis
I'd imagine Nintendo would clock it down to the lowest speed of 800Mhz. It looks pretty legit. That explains how games like Revelations look so amazing, even in 3D. The 3DS has a solid CPU, GPU, and more RAM than even the Wii. And while I know its hardware isn't entirely on par with the Wii and original Xbox, I'd say we should expect the games to look like Wii/Xbox games in 400x240 on the 3D Screen.
Nozizaki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#4 Nozizaki
Member since 2007 • 1471 Posts

I'd imagine Nintendo would clock it down to the lowest speed of 800Mhz. It looks pretty legit. That explains how games like Revelations look so amazing, even in 3D. The 3DS has a solid CPU, GPU, and more RAM than even the Wii. And while I know its hardware isn't entirely on par with the Wii and original Xbox, I'd say we should expect the games to look like Wii/Xbox games in 400x240 on the 3D Screen.darth-pyschosis

I still wish that the 3DS didn't have 3D and upped resolution to 360p, 240p is atrocious.

Ghost120x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 Ghost120x
Member since 2009 • 6059 Posts

Yeah they should have bumped the resolution a bit but given the screen size it's not too bad.

darth-pyschosis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 darth-pyschosis

Yeah they should have bumped the resolution a bit but given the screen size it's not too bad.

Ghost120x
I agree but after playing the demo to Revelations and playing Mercenaries extensively I think it was probably the right call. I wish it was a little bit higher res, but then the battery life would suffer and the screen really isn't big enough to warrant a higher resolution. I wanted perhaps 640x480 or 800x480, but that would just cause problems for the device. With such a lower resolution and small screen, i'm sure this CPU will be able to impress as it already has impressed me. after years of the DS not being able to pull of moderately realistic graphics this is an amazing upgrade IMO. I know I don't want to get into a system wars type debate, but I find it ironic (and I was one of the doubters too, I'm eating my words) that people believed those leaked IGN specs, which have been proved wrong on so many occasions, yet people keep this idea (generally I mean) that the 3DS is underpowered. It has (and it could be underclocked, we don't know yet) a DMP Pica 200 GPU @ 200Mhz, potentially a dual core CPU at 800Mhz, and 128MB RAM. Plus all the shaders and programmable whatnots, it seems a lot of higher end console stuff can be done on the 3DS with ease. Super Street Fighter IV looks amazing, almost as good as my 360 version. Obvious compromises are the resolution and the still background, but even RE: Mercs looks great. I'm really blown away that this is what we've got in a handheld now, and I think its about the sweet spot for cost, portablity and battery life
Ghost120x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Ghost120x
Member since 2009 • 6059 Posts

Yeah the 3ds has some pretty good tech behind it and it seems Capcom is the only one pushing the hardware as of late. I just played ridge racer and it could have looked better imo. I personally think the 3ds could have kept the 250 price point if it weren't for the timing, lack of AAA first/third party software, and the vita price announcement.

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17857 Posts
so the argument is a dual core 800MHz CPU in the 3DS? i find that very hard to believe. i looked at the spec and i see that they say it goes from 800MHz-1GHz. at the end of the day though look at the games. theres nothing that suggests something that could rival an XBOX1 or wii CPU. for example capcom mentioned that one of the reason why revelations will look better than mercenaries is because revelations wont have as many enemies on the screen at any time: http://www.3dsbuzz.com/resident-evil-revelations-will-blow-the-mercenaries-away-graphics-wise/ there is give and take which suggests capcom have hit a wall. less enemies but mroe detail. then theres MGS: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-mgs3-3ds-vs-playstation2 the 3DS version recieves a few upgrades but also a few cutbacks. im not saying that the 3DS is weaker than a PS2 and there are elements of " its a port and a work in progress" but if it really dose have a dual core 800MHz CPU (and 128MB of ram for that matter....i remain unconvinced on that also) then devs wouldnt be running into these problems at all. this lead me to believe that its quite a bit lower than 800MHz. i dont know if its as low as IGN make it out to be but certainly lower.
demon-zer0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9 demon-zer0
Member since 2007 • 273 Posts

As we might know the MCU (yes, not CPU, a slightly difference) of 3DS is probably ARM11 architecture single core unit, custom made for Nintendo purposes only. As you may looked on the mainboard, you'll see a lot of chips - Fujitsu's RAM, Toshiba's NAND flash, MEMS technology gyrosensor and accelerometer, but where the hell is PICA200? My bet is: 1048 0H CPU contains an ARM11 MCU core (maybe even Cortex type) as main processor and PICA200 GPU core as co-processor. It's a cheaper solution than 2 separate chips, becuse both of them can acces the same bus and adress RAM space without collision, share one clock (divided for both chips), and share 3DS's resources.

darth-pyschosis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 darth-pyschosis
[QUOTE="osan0"]so the argument is a dual core 800MHz CPU in the 3DS? i find that very hard to believe. i looked at the spec and i see that they say it goes from 800MHz-1GHz. at the end of the day though look at the games. theres nothing that suggests something that could rival an XBOX1 or wii CPU. for example capcom mentioned that one of the reason why revelations will look better than mercenaries is because revelations wont have as many enemies on the screen at any time: http://www.3dsbuzz.com/resident-evil-revelations-will-blow-the-mercenaries-away-graphics-wise/ there is give and take which suggests capcom have hit a wall. less enemies but mroe detail. then theres MGS: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-mgs3-3ds-vs-playstation2 the 3DS version recieves a few upgrades but also a few cutbacks. im not saying that the 3DS is weaker than a PS2 and there are elements of " its a port and a work in progress" but if it really dose have a dual core 800MHz CPU (and 128MB of ram for that matter....i remain unconvinced on that also) then devs wouldnt be running into these problems at all. this lead me to believe that its quite a bit lower than 800MHz. i dont know if its as low as IGN make it out to be but certainly lower.

It has 128MB RAM, iFixit tore it down and x rayed it. http://www.ifixit.com/blog/blog/2011/03/28/nintendo-3ds-has-128mb-ram/ Think about it, the 3DS to display the same image twice on the top screen, and also on the bottom screen. I'm sure that takes a toll on a 800Mhz CPU, 128MB RAM, etc
FPS1337

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#11 FPS1337
Member since 2009 • 2519 Posts
so the argument is a dual core 800MHz CPU in the 3DS? i find that very hard to believe. i looked at the spec and i see that they say it goes from 800MHz-1GHz. at the end of the day though look at the games. theres nothing that suggests something that could rival an XBOX1 or wii CPU. for example capcom mentioned that one of the reason why revelations will look better than mercenaries is because revelations wont have as many enemies on the screen at any time: http://www.3dsbuzz.com/resident-evil-revelations-will-blow-the-mercenaries-away-graphics-wise/ there is give and take which suggests capcom have hit a wall. less enemies but mroe detail. then theres MGS: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-mgs3-3ds-vs-playstation2 the 3DS version recieves a few upgrades but also a few cutbacks. im not saying that the 3DS is weaker than a PS2 and there are elements of " its a port and a work in progress" but if it really dose have a dual core 800MHz CPU (and 128MB of ram for that matter....i remain unconvinced on that also) then devs wouldnt be running into these problems at all. this lead me to believe that its quite a bit lower than 800MHz. i dont know if its as low as IGN make it out to be but certainly lower.osan0
processor dont have to do that much with gaming. it does contribute, but really, you can have a mediocre processor and an amazing gpu and play games at high settings, while an amazing CPU and a mediocre gpu wont be able to play games that well. Also Resident Evil Revelations looks far better then any Xbox 1 game, and even better then any Wii Resident Evil. The 3DS supports more advanced shaders and such while the Wii has more polygon. Overall I think the special shaders will go a long way on the 3DS this gen because it can do effects similar to HD consoles, sure it wont be as good for like certain games, but Resident Evil Revelations looks so good, if developers could just mimic how capcom does it, 3DS over Wii. Like even Tekken 3DS tech demo looked nice, Dead or Alive Dimensions looks great, and SF4 on the 3DS looks great, just could have used animated backgrounds which Im sure isnt in the game due to lack of time working on the console. Look at the 360 launch titles, Perfect Dark was one of the best looking games for it, now its completely squashed by COD, Crysis 2, Gears and even Halo. If 3DS can do games like Dead or Alive Dimensions already, and Resident Evil Revelations on the horizon, Im sure the potential is very high.
osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 osan0
[QUOTE="darth-pyschosis"][QUOTE="osan0"]so the argument is a dual core 800MHz CPU in the 3DS? i find that very hard to believe. i looked at the spec and i see that they say it goes from 800MHz-1GHz. at the end of the day though look at the games. theres nothing that suggests something that could rival an XBOX1 or wii CPU. for example capcom mentioned that one of the reason why revelations will look better than mercenaries is because revelations wont have as many enemies on the screen at any time: http://www.3dsbuzz.com/resident-evil-revelations-will-blow-the-mercenaries-away-graphics-wise/ there is give and take which suggests capcom have hit a wall. less enemies but mroe detail. then theres MGS: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-mgs3-3ds-vs-playstation2 the 3DS version recieves a few upgrades but also a few cutbacks. im not saying that the 3DS is weaker than a PS2 and there are elements of " its a port and a work in progress" but if it really dose have a dual core 800MHz CPU (and 128MB of ram for that matter....i remain unconvinced on that also) then devs wouldnt be running into these problems at all. this lead me to believe that its quite a bit lower than 800MHz. i dont know if its as low as IGN make it out to be but certainly lower.

It has 128MB RAM, iFixit tore it down and x rayed it. http://www.ifixit.com/blog/blog/2011/03/28/nintendo-3ds-has-128mb-ram/ Think about it, the 3DS to display the same image twice on the top screen, and also on the bottom screen. I'm sure that takes a toll on a 800Mhz CPU, 128MB RAM, etc

yeah....we have been over the ram issue before..im not buying it. either iFixit has made a mistake or the reporter took their data and made a mistake. im not basing this on IGN (if it was just them then id believe your link over them). however in fairness i do think they are in the right area due to other sources with supporting evidence. its the screen shot of the stolen 3DS with the bios screen that kills the 128MB ram argument for me. so far i havent seen any evidence that its false. and also think about it..the DS had 2 seperate processors, the ARM 9 @66MHz and the ARM7 at 33 (i always thought it was an ARM 11 and 9...oops :P). it didnt have a GPU. it could still render 3D graphics to both screens at the same time. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Over_the_Hedge_%28DS_game%29#cite_note-13 the 3DS does have a GPU which does most of the work for graphics (not all mind...as with any console the CPU is also roped into more graphics tasks compared to the PC). its the GPU that also deals with the 3D not the CPUs. so if 2 CPUs at a very slow clock with no GPU support can render 3D graphics to 2 screens at the same time then you really dont need a very fast CPU. yes the 3DS is capable of better graphics and of course the CPU clock is much faster in the 3DS than DS but i dont see any evidence of a dual core 800MHz CPU. in fact im seeing evidence to the contrary in the games i have seen. however on a brighter note...if the CPU your linking to really is in the 3DS (and that is possible...in a modified form mind. ninty love to tinker) and the heat and battery can take it then they could certainly up the clock from its current speed in the future with a firmware update. sony did it with the PSP (upping the CPU from 233 to 333MHz). i dont think the CPUs are at 800MHz at the mo but they may be upped from their current clock in the future if devs start looking for a horsepower jump. same with the GPU also (rumour is 133MHz but i have no surce for that besides IGN. so pinch of salt for that. ninty do hint at reducing the GPU speed in an iwata asks but whether thats a drop from 400MHz to 200MHz or from 200MHz to 133MHz i have no idea). but at the mo from the games i have seen on the 3DS i really dont think there clocked at 800MHz. devs dont need 2 800MHz cores to do anything i have seen so far.
osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 osan0
[QUOTE="osan0"]so the argument is a dual core 800MHz CPU in the 3DS? i find that very hard to believe. i looked at the spec and i see that they say it goes from 800MHz-1GHz. at the end of the day though look at the games. theres nothing that suggests something that could rival an XBOX1 or wii CPU. for example capcom mentioned that one of the reason why revelations will look better than mercenaries is because revelations wont have as many enemies on the screen at any time: http://www.3dsbuzz.com/resident-evil-revelations-will-blow-the-mercenaries-away-graphics-wise/ there is give and take which suggests capcom have hit a wall. less enemies but mroe detail. then theres MGS: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-mgs3-3ds-vs-playstation2 the 3DS version recieves a few upgrades but also a few cutbacks. im not saying that the 3DS is weaker than a PS2 and there are elements of " its a port and a work in progress" but if it really dose have a dual core 800MHz CPU (and 128MB of ram for that matter....i remain unconvinced on that also) then devs wouldnt be running into these problems at all. this lead me to believe that its quite a bit lower than 800MHz. i dont know if its as low as IGN make it out to be but certainly lower.FPS1337
processor dont have to do that much with gaming. it does contribute, but really, you can have a mediocre processor and an amazing gpu and play games at high settings, while an amazing CPU and a mediocre gpu wont be able to play games that well. Also Resident Evil Revelations looks far better then any Xbox 1 game, and even better then any Wii Resident Evil. The 3DS supports more advanced shaders and such while the Wii has more polygon. Overall I think the special shaders will go a long way on the 3DS this gen because it can do effects similar to HD consoles, sure it wont be as good for like certain games, but Resident Evil Revelations looks so good, if developers could just mimic how capcom does it, 3DS over Wii. Like even Tekken 3DS tech demo looked nice, Dead or Alive Dimensions looks great, and SF4 on the 3DS looks great, just could have used animated backgrounds which Im sure isnt in the game due to lack of time working on the console. Look at the 360 launch titles, Perfect Dark was one of the best looking games for it, now its completely squashed by COD, Crysis 2, Gears and even Halo. If 3DS can do games like Dead or Alive Dimensions already, and Resident Evil Revelations on the horizon, Im sure the potential is very high.

your applying PC thinking to consoles. it doesnt really apply. on the PC yeah you throw graphics tasks at the GPU and you get on with it. let the CPU deal with the physics, AI, game logic and so on. so on the PC you can get away with a mediocre CPU and a strong GPU (unless its something like shogun 2 total war...then you need strong everything :P). maybe this is something console designers will look at in the future also. but its a bit different with consoles and handhelds. its not a case of throw graphics stuff at the GPU, everything else at the CPU and get on with it. its about finding the right balance in workload to get the best out of all the hardware as much as possible. this does put a greater demand on the CPU on the console compared to the PC. i dont mean to bring other formats into the DS forum but bare with me. on the PS3 for example its the CPU that does the texturing and AA (MLAA etc.) and so on while the GPU deals with special effects, models, geometry. but on the 360 its the GPU that does the texturing and AA (MLAA). its all about finding that balance. your right on the shader stuff though. the pica 200 technically only supports around DX8 level features (note..before anyone stomps in again...yes of course the 3DS does not support DX. im talking about hardware features not API support) but DMP added a bunch of extensions to allow for more advanced features more akin to DX10. i dont quite agree that revelations looks better than any xbox 1 game..not yet anyway (though its certainly up there...its looking great and it is in 3D of course which makes it even more impressive). i do agree that we will see more out of the system as time goes on though when devs get more experience with balancing the workload and working with the limits of the hardware. but that will be due to optimisation and so on. i cant wait to see what renegade kid do with it (they pulled off miracles on the DS). but i stand by my point. i really dont think the 3DS has a dual core 800MHz cpu or 128MB of ram.
darth-pyschosis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 darth-pyschosis
[QUOTE="osan0"][QUOTE="darth-pyschosis"][QUOTE="osan0"]so the argument is a dual core 800MHz CPU in the 3DS? i find that very hard to believe. i looked at the spec and i see that they say it goes from 800MHz-1GHz. at the end of the day though look at the games. theres nothing that suggests something that could rival an XBOX1 or wii CPU. for example capcom mentioned that one of the reason why revelations will look better than mercenaries is because revelations wont have as many enemies on the screen at any time: http://www.3dsbuzz.com/resident-evil-revelations-will-blow-the-mercenaries-away-graphics-wise/ there is give and take which suggests capcom have hit a wall. less enemies but mroe detail. then theres MGS: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-mgs3-3ds-vs-playstation2 the 3DS version recieves a few upgrades but also a few cutbacks. im not saying that the 3DS is weaker than a PS2 and there are elements of " its a port and a work in progress" but if it really dose have a dual core 800MHz CPU (and 128MB of ram for that matter....i remain unconvinced on that also) then devs wouldnt be running into these problems at all. this lead me to believe that its quite a bit lower than 800MHz. i dont know if its as low as IGN make it out to be but certainly lower.

yeah....we have been over the ram issue before..im not buying it. either iFixit has made a mistake or the reporter took their data and made a mistake. im not basing this on IGN (if it was just them then id believe your link over them). however in fairness i do think they are in the right area due to other sources with supporting evidence. its the screen shot of the stolen 3DS with the bios screen that kills the 128MB ram argument for me. so far i havent seen any evidence that its false. and also think about it..the DS had 2 seperate processors, the ARM 9 @66MHz and the ARM7 at 33 (i always thought it was an ARM 11 and 9...oops :P). it didnt have a GPU. it could still render 3D graphics to both screens at the same time. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Over_the_Hedge_%28DS_game%29#cite_note-13 the 3DS does have a GPU which does most of the work for graphics (not all mind...as with any console the CPU is also roped into more graphics tasks compared to the PC). its the GPU that also deals with the 3D not the CPUs. so if 2 CPUs at a very slow clock with no GPU support can render 3D graphics to 2 screens at the same time then you really dont need a very fast CPU. yes the 3DS is capable of better graphics and of course the CPU clock is much faster in the 3DS than DS but i dont see any evidence of a dual core 800MHz CPU. in fact im seeing evidence to the contrary in the games i have seen. however on a brighter note...if the CPU your linking to really is in the 3DS (and that is possible...in a modified form mind. ninty love to tinker) and the heat and battery can take it then they could certainly up the clock from its current speed in the future with a firmware update. sony did it with the PSP (upping the CPU from 233 to 333MHz). i dont think the CPUs are at 800MHz at the mo but they may be upped from their current clock in the future if devs start looking for a horsepower jump. same with the GPU also (rumour is 133MHz but i have no surce for that besides IGN. so pinch of salt for that. ninty do hint at reducing the GPU speed in an iwata asks but whether thats a drop from 400MHz to 200MHz or from 200MHz to 133MHz i have no idea). but at the mo from the games i have seen on the 3DS i really dont think there clocked at 800MHz. devs dont need 2 800MHz cores to do anything i have seen so far.

That BIOS screen is easily explained, the 3DS has 128MB RAM and 32MB is likely reserved for the OS (hence why it can multi-task, open web browsers during 3D games) thus giving the 3DS 96MB of RAM for games themselves. And like I said, even if the GPU were 200Mhz (which is may be) and the CPU were 800Mhz (and it's probably dual core, putting two separate CPUs in their is really unnessecary today when a dual core will go things just as good if not better in some cases) you have to remember a large reason why these games don't look like those specs to you is because the systems has to be able to produce the same image twice on the top screen, and a lower resolution image on the bottom screen The 3DS couldn't put all 800Mhz CPU, 200Mhz GPU, 96MB RAM into a single image on the top screen, or else (and I'm not sure about this so I could be wrong) it wouldn't be able to switch to 3D at the whim of the user. Therefore, it would seem to me that logically developers would use half of that power in order to be able to make the image twice. I still think Revelations, as I play it right now, looks better in areas than anything on the Wii or Original Xbox IMO. None of us will know for sure, and I could be 100% wrong, but it sure it is fun debating it. Either way, I'm impressed with this handheld console.
El_Zo1212o

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 El_Zo1212o
Member since 2009 • 6057 Posts
Good god- are any of you people speaking english? I didn't know anyone outside of the military used that many abbreviations and acronyms in one statement... I'm guessing the thread comes down to: 1. 3ds appears to be more powerful than we were lead to believe, 2. some people doubt it. All I can say is the early 3ds games look better than early psp games, and as developers become more familiar with the hardware, the games will only look and play better.
BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#16 BrunoBRS
Member since 2005 • 74156 Posts
can't they just dismantle it and see what it is?
demon-zer0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 demon-zer0

can't they just dismantle it and see what it is?BrunoBRS

Someone did, and it isalmost like I said, except that 1048 0H contains 2 ARM11 MCU core clocked with 268MHz each, PICA200 also clocked with 268MHz and a DSP signal processor.

3DS hardware

The mysterious thing named X1 is a crystal resonator (its basicaly a clock for the processor) with frequency of 16,756MHz used to clock the 3DS game cart.

Auxiliary Microcontroller UC CTR is most likely an I2C colision controller. It watches over the comunication via I2C (same as TWI - Two Wire Interface, I2C is a patent of Philips) and prevents a situation where more than 1 microcontroller wants to transmit. If this occures the UC CTR pops out a flag (single bit) in a transmission start sequence called header letting the most dominant device to transmit further (more dominant in I2C means a device which pops out more 0 bits in the header), and less dominant devices are shutting off with transmitting and waiting for Idle state on SDA (serial data line, Idle means logical 1 for aspecified time) to repeate their message. But this is purely my speculation on UC CTR role ;)

*I would like to point out that the internet address I placed in the link is intended for informational purposes only. My intention is not a violation of the rules of GameSpot.

FPS1337

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 FPS1337
[QUOTE="FPS1337"][QUOTE="osan0"]so the argument is a dual core 800MHz CPU in the 3DS? i find that very hard to believe. i looked at the spec and i see that they say it goes from 800MHz-1GHz. at the end of the day though look at the games. theres nothing that suggests something that could rival an XBOX1 or wii CPU. for example capcom mentioned that one of the reason why revelations will look better than mercenaries is because revelations wont have as many enemies on the screen at any time: http://www.3dsbuzz.com/resident-evil-revelations-will-blow-the-mercenaries-away-graphics-wise/ there is give and take which suggests capcom have hit a wall. less enemies but mroe detail. then theres MGS: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-mgs3-3ds-vs-playstation2 the 3DS version recieves a few upgrades but also a few cutbacks. im not saying that the 3DS is weaker than a PS2 and there are elements of " its a port and a work in progress" but if it really dose have a dual core 800MHz CPU (and 128MB of ram for that matter....i remain unconvinced on that also) then devs wouldnt be running into these problems at all. this lead me to believe that its quite a bit lower than 800MHz. i dont know if its as low as IGN make it out to be but certainly lower.osan0

your applying PC thinking to consoles. it doesnt really apply. on the PC yeah you throw graphics tasks at the GPU and you get on with it. let the CPU deal with the physics, AI, game logic and so on. so on the PC you can get away with a mediocre CPU and a strong GPU (unless its something like shogun 2 total war...then you need strong everything :P). maybe this is something console designers will look at in the future also. but its a bit different with consoles and handhelds. its not a case of throw graphics stuff at the GPU, everything else at the CPU and get on with it. its about finding the right balance in workload to get the best out of all the hardware as much as possible. this does put a greater demand on the CPU on the console compared to the PC. i dont mean to bring other formats into the DS forum but bare with me. on the PS3 for example its the CPU that does the texturing and AA (MLAA etc.) and so on while the GPU deals with special effects, models, geometry. but on the 360 its the GPU that does the texturing and AA (MLAA). its all about finding that balance. your right on the shader stuff though. the pica 200 technically only supports around DX8 level features (note..before anyone stomps in again...yes of course the 3DS does not support DX. im talking about hardware features not API support) but DMP added a bunch of extensions to allow for more advanced features more akin to DX10. i dont quite agree that revelations looks better than any xbox 1 game..not yet anyway (though its certainly up there...its looking great and it is in 3D of course which makes it even more impressive). i do agree that we will see more out of the system as time goes on though when devs get more experience with balancing the workload and working with the limits of the hardware. but that will be due to optimisation and so on. i cant wait to see what renegade kid do with it (they pulled off miracles on the DS). but i stand by my point. i really dont think the 3DS has a dual core 800MHz cpu or 128MB of ram.

Well it's not surprising to me, the Original Xbox had a 733 MHZ speed. It would not be surprising that the 3DS is more powerful then it, because first of all it has a much more complex OS, it has as good if not better graphics then the Xbox and it has to run everything in 3D. I think someone mentioned in this post that is was a single core 800MHZ-1000MHZ processor probably and the other core slot is actually the GPU. 800MHZ is the same as the Ipod's processor, so it wouldn't be surprising, the 3DS can multitask and the games require a lot more processing power which is probably why you can't play a game and go into say the e-shop at the same time.
FPS1337

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 FPS1337

[QUOTE="BrunoBRS"]can't they just dismantle it and see what it is?demon-zer0

Someone did, and it isalmost like I said, except that 1048 0H contains 2 ARM11 MCU core clocked with 268MHz each, PICA200 also clocked with 268MHz and a DSP signal processor.

3DS hardware

The mysterious thing named X1 is a crystal resonator (its basicaly a clock for the processor) with frequency of 16,756MHz used to clock the 3DS game cart.

Auxiliary Microcontroller UC CTR is most likely an I2C colision controller. It watches over the comunication via I2C (same as TWI - Two Wire Interface, I2C is a patent of Philips) and prevents a situation where more than 1 microcontroller wants to transmit. If this occures the UC CTR pops out a flag (single bit) in a transmission start sequence called header letting the most dominant device to transmit further (more dominant in I2C means a device which pops out more 0 bits in the header), and less dominant devices are shutting off with transmitting and waiting for Idle state on SDA (serial data line, Idle means logical 1 for aspecified time) to repeate their message. But this is purely my speculation on UC CTR role ;)

*I would like to point out that the internet address I placed in the link is intended for informational purposes only. My intention is not a violation of the rules of GameSpot.

One problem with this. It appears to say there's 1GB of NAND flash memory, when the 3DS obviously has 2GB.
darth-pyschosis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 darth-pyschosis
[QUOTE="demon-zer0"]

[QUOTE="BrunoBRS"]can't they just dismantle it and see what it is?FPS1337

3DS hardware

One problem with this. It appears to say there's 1GB of NAND flash memory, when the 3DS obviously has 2GB.

Yea, a lot of it seems inaccurate enough. What really makes the CPU not 533Mhz though? 268Mhz, even dual core, is a pretty low clock speed. That's lower than the PS2/PSP. But maybe since its dual core its better, I don't know. They get the 128MB RAM thing right, but everything single teardown states that the 3DS has 2GB Flash memory inside, thus that puts this entire thing into hearsay. (I want some details already) Also, how did they get the clock speeds on the CPU? I know the ARM11 has a general clock speed between 800Mhz and 1Ghz, and that Nintendo may have underclocked it but how would they know the 268Mhz clock speed? The ARM site they link to as proof doesn't, at least it isn't obvious to me, give any info on clock speeds Also, why on earth when DMP and many other places are stating the GPU is 200Mhz, that it is 268Mhz? I don't think it makes much sense for Nintendo to put a lower speed CPU, dual core 268Mhz, but then put a GPU with an even higher clock speed than the Wii's at 268Mhz. Also, why are they the same number? That's highly coincidentally, suspicision, and unlikely. Also the link for the proof about the GPU proves only that it has between 200Mhz and 400Mhz clock speeds All in all, that source seems to have WAY too much inaccurate and non-proven information to be taken as truth. I really don't think we can believe this at all, if anyone can point me in the direction of something that actually has proof of a clock speed on the CPU/GPU I'd love to finally know what they friggin' are!
demon-zer0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 demon-zer0

Yea, a lot of it seems inaccurate enough. What really makes the CPU not 533Mhz though? 268Mhz, even dual core, is a pretty low clock speed. That's lower than the PS2/PSP. But maybe since its dual core its better, I don't know. They get the 128MB RAM thing right, but everything single teardown states that the 3DS has 2GB Flash memory inside, thus that puts this entire thing into hearsay. (I want some details already) Also, how did they get the clock speeds on the CPU? I know the ARM11 has a general clock speed between 800Mhz and 1Ghz, and that Nintendo may have underclocked it but how would they know the 268Mhz clock speed? The ARM site they link to as proof doesn't, at least it isn't obvious to me, give any info on clock speeds Also, why on earth when DMP and many other places are stating the GPU is 200Mhz, that it is 268Mhz? I don't think it makes much sense for Nintendo to put a lower speed CPU, dual core 268Mhz, but then put a GPU with an even higher clock speed than the Wii's at 268Mhz. Also, why are they the same number? That's highly coincidentally, suspicision, and unlikely. Also the link for the proof about the GPU proves only that it has between 200Mhz and 400Mhz clock speeds All in all, that source seems to have WAY too much inaccurate and non-proven information to be taken as truth. I really don't think we can believe this at all, if anyone can point me in the direction of something that actually has proof of a clock speed on the CPU/GPU I'd love to finally know what they friggin' are!darth-pyschosis

Obviously they mistaken with the NAND Flash capacity, because it's 2GB - info

If the GPU can be clocked from 200 to 400MHz, than 268MHz is quite accurate

Same speed of GPU and MCU provides no time collision - 2 devices works with the same clock, so there is no slower and no faster one, eventually 2 devices can comunicate with eachother without time delay (no faster device means no waiting for the slower one)

ARM11 as a complete MCU, with it's port I/O registers, internal RAM, Flash and EEPROM, Timer/Counter units, Watchdog, Interrupt driver, and other communication units like USART, SPI, I2C, CAN (maybe LIN) - of course should be clocked 800 - 1000MHz, but realize this:

1048 0H contains only MCU's core, so the stuff listet with red is MCU's periphery which are probably shared between both of the MCU's so there was no need to clock it to 1GHz, and lower speed means more stable performance and higher immunity to interferences with lowered chanse of mistake and lower power consumption.

Furthermore every single resource in 3DS is shared - 128MB RAM is shared between MCU core 1, MCU core 2, and GPU's video buffer, same goes for communication protocols, timers, interrupts, buffers, etc. So different clocks would really hinder. Besides, if the 3 MCU's are clocked with the same resonator, this means their operations are phase-correct ans synchronus.

Indicator of processor performance is not the clock speed, but the computing power, so if you do not need to clock MCU with fast clocks, you usually does not.

The only argument of which you speak is that this specification does not make sense to you. And ironically the info given on this disassembly is the most acurate of all for now.

Nintendo doesn't release specs on their devices,because they believe that it's not about how powerful a machine is, but how rewarding and fun the experience of using it is. You remember the DS? It was not a very powerful system, but many people loved it.

darth-pyschosis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 darth-pyschosis

[QUOTE="darth-pyschosis"]Yea, a lot of it seems inaccurate enough. What really makes the CPU not 533Mhz though? 268Mhz, even dual core, is a pretty low clock speed. That's lower than the PS2/PSP. But maybe since its dual core its better, I don't know. They get the 128MB RAM thing right, but everything single teardown states that the 3DS has 2GB Flash memory inside, thus that puts this entire thing into hearsay. (I want some details already) Also, how did they get the clock speeds on the CPU? I know the ARM11 has a general clock speed between 800Mhz and 1Ghz, and that Nintendo may have underclocked it but how would they know the 268Mhz clock speed? The ARM site they link to as proof doesn't, at least it isn't obvious to me, give any info on clock speeds Also, why on earth when DMP and many other places are stating the GPU is 200Mhz, that it is 268Mhz? I don't think it makes much sense for Nintendo to put a lower speed CPU, dual core 268Mhz, but then put a GPU with an even higher clock speed than the Wii's at 268Mhz. Also, why are they the same number? That's highly coincidentally, suspicision, and unlikely. Also the link for the proof about the GPU proves only that it has between 200Mhz and 400Mhz clock speeds All in all, that source seems to have WAY too much inaccurate and non-proven information to be taken as truth. I really don't think we can believe this at all, if anyone can point me in the direction of something that actually has proof of a clock speed on the CPU/GPU I'd love to finally know what they friggin' are!demon-zer0

Same speed of GPU and MCU provides no time collision - 2 devices works with the same clock, so there is no slower and no faster one, eventually 2 devices can comunicate with eachother without time delay (no faster device means no waiting for the slower one)

ARM11 as a complete MCU, with it's port I/O registers, internal RAM, Flash and EEPROM, Timer/Counter units, Watchdog, Interrupt driver, and other communication units like USART, SPI, I2C, CAN (maybe LIN) - of course should be clocked 800 - 1000MHz, but realize this:

1048 0H contains only MCU's core, so the stuff listet with red is MCU's periphery which are probably shared between both of the MCU's so there was no need to clock it to 1GHz, and lower speed means more stable performance and higher immunity to interferences with lowered chanse of mistake and lower power consumption.

Furthermore every single resource in 3DS is shared - 128MB RAM is shared between MCU core 1, MCU core 2, and GPU's video buffer, same goes for communication protocols, timers, interrupts, buffers, etc. So different clocks would really hinder. Besides, if the 3 MCU's are clocked with the same resonator, this means their operations are phase-correct ans synchronus.

Indicator of processor performance is not the clock speed, but the computing power, so if you do not need to clock MCU with fast clocks, you usually does not.

The only argument of which you speak is that this specification does not make sense to you. And ironically the info given on this disassembly is the most acurate of all for now.

Nintendo doesn't release specs on their devices,because they believe that it's not about how powerful a machine is, but how rewarding and fun the experience of using it is. You remember the DS? It was not a very powerful system, but many people loved it.

So You're saying you, nor I, know the clock speeds? I know that isn't nessecarily an indicator of power, but I just want to know clock speeds. I really don't see why the GPU would be clocked so high if the CPU isn't clocked higher than 268Mhz, even dual core. Seems like insane overkill. I don't pretend to understand what everything means, but as I'm putting the pieces together it seems like no one has a direct and definitive answer. The CPU can go between those clock speeds, and it seems like it's design for a mobile device in the first place I'm sure its not that draining on the battery life only because I would think they would design it to not actually be that draining but I don't know. I also make the argument that everything you said is true (gasp!) and yes, power doesn't matter in the long run. I'm more than pleased with what I see on my 3DS already, even if it's lower clock speeds, etc. I just want to know the precise speeds for the fun of it. But without someone actually clocking them I don't believe we can firmly say the CPU is 268Mhz, 800Mhz or that the GPU is 268Mhz.
FPS1337

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 FPS1337
[QUOTE="darth-pyschosis"][QUOTE="demon-zer0"]

Yea, a lot of it seems inaccurate enough. What really makes the CPU not 533Mhz though? 268Mhz, even dual core, is a pretty low clock speed. That's lower than the PS2/PSP. But maybe since its dual core its better, I don't know. They get the 128MB RAM thing right, but everything single teardown states that the 3DS has 2GB Flash memory inside, thus that puts this entire thing into hearsay. (I want some details already) Also, how did they get the clock speeds on the CPU? I know the ARM11 has a general clock speed between 800Mhz and 1Ghz, and that Nintendo may have underclocked it but how would they know the 268Mhz clock speed? The ARM site they link to as proof doesn't, at least it isn't obvious to me, give any info on clock speeds Also, why on earth when DMP and many other places are stating the GPU is 200Mhz, that it is 268Mhz? I don't think it makes much sense for Nintendo to put a lower speed CPU, dual core 268Mhz, but then put a GPU with an even higher clock speed than the Wii's at 268Mhz. Also, why are they the same number? That's highly coincidentally, suspicision, and unlikely. Also the link for the proof about the GPU proves only that it has between 200Mhz and 400Mhz clock speeds All in all, that source seems to have WAY too much inaccurate and non-proven information to be taken as truth. I really don't think we can believe this at all, if anyone can point me in the direction of something that actually has proof of a clock speed on the CPU/GPU I'd love to finally know what they friggin' are!darth-pyschosis

So You're saying you, nor I, know the clock speeds? I know that isn't nessecarily an indicator of power, but I just want to know clock speeds. I really don't see why the GPU would be clocked so high if the CPU isn't clocked higher than 268Mhz, even dual core. Seems like insane overkill. I don't pretend to understand what everything means, but as I'm putting the pieces together it seems like no one has a direct and definitive answer. The CPU can go between those clock speeds, and it seems like it's design for a mobile device in the first place I'm sure its not that draining on the battery life only because I would think they would design it to not actually be that draining but I don't know. I also make the argument that everything you said is true (gasp!) and yes, power doesn't matter in the long run. I'm more than pleased with what I see on my 3DS already, even if it's lower clock speeds, etc. I just want to know the precise speeds for the fun of it. But without someone actually clocking them I don't believe we can firmly say the CPU is 268Mhz, 800Mhz or that the GPU is 268Mhz.

These specs don't matter, I'm fine with the 3DS's graphics either way. I do think the processor though is either around 300MHZ-400MHZ Dual Core, but I actually think that it's a single core at 800MHZ, and the other core is the GPU at 268MHZ. The only thing that makes me think the processor is lower then that is the web browser being noticeably slower then my Ipod touch 4th gen, but that's probably due to it being an early version of web browser, the 3DS being not made for web browsing while the ipod is, and apple's experience in enhancing the web browser and optimizing it for the Ipod touch while net front has not much experience with the 3DS.