Im considering trading in my PS2 9000 series in for a fat PS2

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Cronaroth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 0

#1 Cronaroth
Member since 2004 • 3011 Posts

Im wondering if I should do this, because, I have heard alot of PSone compatibility issues with this model which I DO care about GREATLY, such as Chrono Cross (that's the biggy for me since it's one of my favorite games-ever) and I was wondering how severe the compatibility models are (not being able to watch stuff like the ending on CC makes me a bit irritated if that's true). Suggestions please?

K1LLR3175

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#2 K1LLR3175
Member since 2006 • 12734 Posts
So you want to trade your Slim PS2 for the Fat one? I am not sure that is such a good trade.
Cronaroth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Cronaroth

well mainly cause ive heard some compatibility problems with games I wanna play/replay

K1LLR3175

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#4 K1LLR3175
Member since 2006 • 12734 Posts
I think...Don't hold me to this, but I believe the fat one has more issues than the slim.
Cronaroth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Cronaroth

I guess i'll test Chrono Cross to see if it really has problems on my PS2 before I jump to conclusions.

hakanakumono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#6 hakanakumono
Member since 2008 • 27455 Posts

Chrono Cross works fine on my slim PS2. The only compatability issue I've ever had with PS2 was with Dino Crisis 2 and that was with my fat PS2 before it fell (which didn't "break" anything it just pulled out the connection to the disc drive opener and on/off button, so it would turn on but not open the disc >:S)

Darkman2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#7 Darkman2007
Member since 2007 • 17926 Posts

I actually own a PS2 slim (its the 7000 series but it should be similar), and all of my PS2 games work perfect for the most part (other then some rare cases such as Resident Evil 3, which makes a loud beeping noise whenever I go on the "load game screen", but it disappears afterwards)

the old fat PS2s have a lot more mechanical problems with them, even if you find a working one, it will last you a year.... maximum.

if your slim PS2 isnt working with PS1 games, try getting a PS2 from the 7000 series, or even get your hands on a PS1, they are dirt cheap now, and the later models like the slimline versions, work perfectly.

so yes either keep your PS2 or get a PS1

Cronaroth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Cronaroth

Chrono Cross works fine on my slim PS2. The only compatability issue I've ever had with PS2 was with Dino Crisis 2 and that was with my fat PS2 before it fell (which didn't "break" anything it just pulled out the connection to the disc drive opener and on/off button, so it would turn on but not open the disc >:S)

hakanakumono

What model series slim do you have? mine's a 90000 (the most recent) and I tested it out last night and Chrono Cross was fine until I got to the ending cinema which was kind of-garbled. I wish I had even the 70000 now since im hearing the chip set changes are what causes the compatibility issues/gameplay issues.

Rocky32189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Rocky32189
Member since 2007 • 8995 Posts
Don't do it. You may get better compatibility but you would be trading for a system with defective hardware that will eventually break. Just buy a PS1. They are extremely cheap.
lazyhoboguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#10 lazyhoboguy
Member since 2007 • 1692 Posts
Yea I wouldn't get the fat ps2 either, they all invetibaly have disc reading problems. I picked up a 90001 slim ps2 recently because my 8 year old fat ps2 finally started dying.
Odnomiar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Odnomiar
Member since 2004 • 1070 Posts

I've had my Fat PS2 for years... about 10. and NEVER had a backwards compatibility isssue. it's pal version though... so... take from that what you will :D

hakanakumono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 hakanakumono
Member since 2008 • 27455 Posts

[QUOTE="hakanakumono"]

Cronaroth

What model series slim do you have? mine's a 90000 (the most recent) and I tested it out last night and Chrono Cross was fine until I got to the ending cinema which was kind of-garbled. I wish I had even the 70000 now since im hearing the chip set changes are what causes the compatibility issues/gameplay issues.

I have the original slim model. Are you sure its not your disc?

DevilBorg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#14 DevilBorg
Member since 2009 • 810 Posts
It might be your disk. My fat PS2 had issues running Legend of Legaia smoothly. But the thin models...my thin model has had 0 problems. (it's creepy playing the game now because it's so smooth, all through my childhood I'm used to it being all slow and flaky)
Cronaroth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Cronaroth

[QUOTE="Cronaroth"]

[QUOTE="hakanakumono"]

hakanakumono

I have the original slim model. Are you sure its not your disc?

Positive-played it on my friend's PS1 and it worked perfectly fine on that. Even tried it on another friends fat PS2 and it worked fine on that. also-I dont have the space right now for ANOTHER system so i'd rather just have a PS2 that plays PS1 games properly than dealing with a PS2 and a PS1.....