What is aim assist?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

bigevil_rashek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 bigevil_rashek
Member since 2006 • 882 Posts
I have seen a few reviews and topics on aim assist in console FPS games, and i don't play much much FPS games on consoles, but i played a few on the PS2(black,killzone) and it has nothing called aim assist. So what is it?
CrimsonpugTwo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 CrimsonpugTwo
Member since 2004 • 2220 Posts

Aim assist is pretty much self explanatory. Get your reticle close enough to a target, and the game will give the aim a little nudge to get it on target. Since using the controllers isn't as precise as mouse aiming on a PC, this feature is usually welcomed in console FPS games.

Some games have too much aim assist (the darkness), some games have just enough that it still takes some skill to play (COD4). While some games that don't have aim assist can sometimes seem a bit to wacky in the aiming department.

bigevil_rashek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3 bigevil_rashek
Member since 2006 • 882 Posts

Aim assist is pretty much self explanatory. Get your reticle close enough to a target, and the game will give the aim a little nudge to get it on target. Since using the controllers isn't as precise as mouse aiming on a PC, this feature is usually welcomed in console FPS games.

Some games have too much aim assist (the darkness), some games have just enough that it still takes some skill to play (COD4). While some games that don't have aim assist can sometimes seem a bit to wacky in the aiming department.

CrimsonpugTwo

Do any games on the PS2 have aim assist, or are they all in this gen.

Rowr14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 Rowr14
Member since 2004 • 166 Posts
I dunno about ps2 games but i think halo had aim assist. The best aim assist is the one you dont notice. Thanks to aim assist shooters are possible to play on a console without it becoming a fiddly mess. Generally though if there is an option to turn on aim assist, you shouldnt do it unless you are skill-less fool. Under any circumstances.
ProudLarry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#5 ProudLarry
Member since 2004 • 13511 Posts
[QUOTE="CrimsonpugTwo"]

bigevil_rashek

Do any games on the PS2 have aim assist, or are they all in this gen.

I'm pretty sure I remember Timesplitters 1&2 having aim assist. If you ever played Goldeneye on the N64, it had a very noticeable and obvious aim assist.
N8A

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#6 N8A
Member since 2007 • 18602 Posts
Aim Assist is great for people that are only moderately skilled in shooters.