Xx_Kares_xX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 0

#51 Xx_Kares_xX
Member since 2009 • 1479 Posts

Oblivion's gameplay is no more involved than dragon age's.. in fact it's far less. It's a first person shooter with stats. It takes no strategy or skill. Your character can use any ability regardless of what class you choose. A mage can wear heavy armor for gods sake... it's ridiculous.

D3dr0_0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 232

#52 D3dr0_0
Member since 2008 • 3530 Posts
In Oblivion you picked a class and stuck with it while your the almighty powerful Dovakin with no weakness*boring* I hate being overpowered.
Xx_Kares_xX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53 Xx_Kares_xX
I agree... I much prefer having a challenge.
D3dr0_0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54 D3dr0_0
Which is why I enjoy games like Devil May Cry 3 and Ninja Gaiden Black.
Xx_Kares_xX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 Xx_Kares_xX
I've played DMC3... haven't gotten around to Ninja Gaiden Black though.
D3dr0_0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 D3dr0_0
A lot more difficult than DMC.
Xx_Kares_xX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 Xx_Kares_xX
o.o Damn.. I'm scared now lol
D3dr0_0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 D3dr0_0
o.o Damn.. I'm scared now lolXx_Kares_xX
Let's just say Ninja Dog difficulty is still hard for gamers.
Avatar image for irishdude199210
irishdude199210

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#59 irishdude199210
Member since 2010 • 2517 Posts
You want a challenge play the old MK games :P I played MK2 on the acrade kollection the other day and it took about an hour to get through it's arcade mode. I love those games though. I'm also a pretty big fan of DMC, I only have 3 and 4 though. Played DMC4 before christmas, second last level was pretty hard.

Oblivion's gameplay is no more involved than dragon age's.. in fact it's far less. It's a first person shooter with stats. It takes no strategy or skill. Your character can use any ability regardless of what class you choose. A mage can wear heavy armor for gods sake... it's ridiculous.

Xx_Kares_xX
I played it 3rd person :P A mage can wear heavy armour, but you still have stats and skills. So high level light armour is better than low level heavy armour. Plus you can change the difficulty level. If you want a challenge, increase the difficulty. You can't use any ability because you need a high enough skill level to learn it in the first place, which takes a while. I liked Oblivion precisely because it didn't put annoying restrictions like 'mages can't fight with anything but staves'. Besides, you pick 7 main skills at the start of the game that will increase faster than other skills, so you still have something resembling 'classes'.
Xx_Kares_xX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 Xx_Kares_xX
I found it ridiculously cheap and annoying. Mages should be frail because they spend their time learning MAGIC, not out doing pushups and spending time learning to use a blade. Anyway, in this case I have to admit that they aren't 'bad' games, they are just games that I don't enjoy in the slightest... I put 13 hours into oblivion, felt like I'd gotten nowhere and was completely bored out of my mind so I quit.
irishdude199210

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 irishdude199210
Your character is only a 'mage' if you insist on using only magic, there aren't any 'classes' per se in the game. It doesn't restrict you like that. I used swords all the time and sneaked around alot. Was I good at magic? Of course not. I barely used it. If you play the game only using spells, you won't be good with melee weapons. Why would you be? Mages are generally frail in jrpgs because their defense and hp values don't increase as much as other classes. In oblivion your armour skill increases based on what armour your wearing. Heavy armour isn't always better. Sure it often has higher values, but it weighs a ton. Plus, mage robes in the game have very little protective value, but grant a large bonus to certain magical schools (such as illusion, destruction etc.). So in effect, your 'frail mage' character have little health, they can have no skills in melee combat and they can have very powerful spells. In other words, if you wanted to, you could easily create your 'frail mage' if you wanted.
Xx_Kares_xX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 Xx_Kares_xX

I understand where you're coming from.. and it's been years since I've played it so maybe I SHOULD give it another shot... but from what I understand, what you are saying is I CAN purposefully limit myself to make it more difficult, and I never think that is an option. As terrible as this is (and I hate to bring it up again) the best example of this that I can think of is Final Fantasy VIII. Yes I CAN limit myself and not use the junctions to make myself OP, but I shouldn't HAVE to, it's the creators fault for making a flawed system. The gamer should NEVER have to limit themselves to make an experience entertaining.

Now FFVIII is an extreme example, and from what I've played of Oblivion you can't (easily) make yourself that OP...but it still bothers my inner rpg player that 90% of the time the best equipment is 'heavy' despite your class choice. Anyway, this is a very small part of what I didn't like about the game in the first place. I also really hated the 'lonely' feeling I got while playing it (admittedly, another personal thing that doesn't make it a bad game... the Elder Scrolls games are actually very well made and ambitious, just not my cup of tea) I also hated that so many people applauded how 'realistic' the world was when I have seen more interesting and well developed NPC's in NES titles. (this is more speaking of Oblivion than Skyrim by the way, as I only put an hour into skyrim before thinking 'oh.. so it's just like oblivion but prettier' and turning it off) I didn't like the lack of interesting story in Oblivion or the lack of direction. (another personal thing, I prefer more well structured and linear goals as opposed to the style of gameplay where they drop you in a world and tell you to go have fun in your sandbox like a neglectful parent would)

I actually DID enjoy the combat for a little while, before I realized it all came down to the same hacking and slashing you can get in any dungeon crawler but from a first person perspective. But I think the worst thing that happened is I am a huge RPG fan, and when oblivion was new everyone on earth said 'It's the best RPG EVER MADE!" and high expectations are the EASIEST way to completely ruin a game for me forever. The same thing happened with Chrono Trigger but to a lesser extent. When I'm told I'm about to play the best game ever I EXPECT the best game ever, and when I don't get it I'm doubly disapointed.

Balmane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#63 Balmane
Member since 2008 • 13255 Posts

I have never played Any of those games. Although I have Baldurs Gate for PS2 and that was really good.

There is this one game I got really far in that has a similar concept called Loddoss. It was on the Dreamcast. I use to have it but I don't know where it went. I hope it becomes a download on PS3 eventually. I totally recommend it if you want challenge and some fun.

Xx_Kares_xX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 Xx_Kares_xX

The ps2 baldur's gate is pretty fun.. but I could never play it alone.. for me it's coop or not at all for those games.

I vaguely recognize that title but don't know anything about Loddoss. I plan on getting a dreamcast eventually so I will look into it.

irishdude199210

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 irishdude199210

I never used heavy armour in oblivion, light armour is much more likely to grant bonus such as '+20 sneak' etc. than heavy armour does. Heavy armour was useless for sneaking, and sneak attacking someone successfully did major damage. I only played the game on normal difficulty, so most quests weren't that hard. But I still liked it alot. I liked the lonliness. The main story was crap, I agree, but it's enemies were cool. The gameplay pretty much is just hack n slash if you play with melee weapons, but most rpgs have limited combat variety in some sense. For example, picking your attacks in turn from a list. Even though I like turn-based rpgs, they're still little 'variety' per se in the way you actually fight. Admitedly, I can't return to oblivion again, I get bored very quickly. I'd liked to point out again that I did make a topic before discussing a very similar topic to this. Would you like the link?

EDIT: And what I was trying to say about your mage character is that you could make him mega-powerful at spells, but to get that powerful, you'd have to neglect other skills. So, like any mage, you'd have to keep enemies away from you while blasting them with spells. I never play mage characters, so I don't have personal experience, but I've played oblivion for over 200 hours.

Xx_Kares_xX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 Xx_Kares_xX
That's cool, so I guess the game isn't nearly as broken as I thought. (I only played for about 15 hours before I just couldn't take any more, so chances are I didn't get too any of the interesting armor). I know most rpgs are repetitive as all hell, and most aren't difficult at all because you can just grind whenever you get stuck, but generally in those other games there is something else keeping me interested (a story, good music, strategy, creative terrain) and none of that seemed to come with Oblivion for me. Obviously It's a personal problem because the game is extremely popular and you've pointed out that quite a few of my problems with it or wrong, so that's good to know. Eventually I when I'm bored enough I know I will endup trying it again, and who knows, maybe I will like it (my taste in games has changed greatly over the past couple of years)
irishdude199210

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 irishdude199210
You shouldn't play it just becaue it's popular, chances are you just don't like the type of game it is. And that's fine. Games like Grand Theft Auto are mega-popular and the GTAIV was pretty crap in my eyes.
D3dr0_0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 D3dr0_0
Any reasons why GTAIV was crap?
lordmew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#69 lordmew
Member since 2009 • 1315 Posts

Any reasons why GTAIV was crap?D3dr0_0

A : It was not San Andreas

B : The location

C : Charactheristics

D : Cheat System

At least that was how it was for me.

D3dr0_0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 D3dr0_0
I always thought Liberty City sucked ass. Niko Belic wasn't as great as people made him out to be, it felt like a downgrade besides graphic to San Andreas and the annoying phone as a menu.
Xx_Kares_xX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 Xx_Kares_xX
lol interesting. I've never really gotten into the GTA series, but I almost all of the PSone and PS2 entries.
Balmane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 Balmane
Vice City is always gonna be my favourite. I love that 80's feel. When you ride that gangster bike at full speed with Rock you like a Hurricane at full blast, OH YEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH 8)
D3dr0_0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 D3dr0_0
Vice City is always gonna be my favourite. I love that 80's feel. When you ride that gangster bike at full speed with Rock you like a Hurricane at full blast, OH YEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH 8)Balmane
Vice City is one of my favorites. I 100% the game.
Xx_Kares_xX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 Xx_Kares_xX
San Andreas looked the most interesting to me personally.
D3dr0_0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 D3dr0_0
San Andreas looked the most interesting to me personally.Xx_Kares_xX
That game had everything you would ever want in a sand box game. I had the Xbox version so I was listening to my custom soundtrack.
Xx_Kares_xX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 Xx_Kares_xX
The hilarious thing is custom soundtrack would probably end up being Final Fantasy music.
D3dr0_0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 D3dr0_0
I have a hard time picturing that in my mind. It just doesn't fit.
Xx_Kares_xX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 Xx_Kares_xX
Which is why it's so hilarious! Just imagine your character running from the police, blowing up cars and running over hookers all to the melody of Aerith's theme!
D3dr0_0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 D3dr0_0
Does not compute???
Avatar image for squalls_revival
squalls_revival

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#80 squalls_revival
Member since 2004 • 1274 Posts

final fantasy music would work lol... It's like the classical music channel

irishdude199210

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81 irishdude199210
San Andreas was my favourite. Has lots of customisation and stats. It was just great fun. You could listen to Dancing Mad while driving away from the cops :P
Xx_Kares_xX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82 Xx_Kares_xX
lol that would be amazing.
D3dr0_0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83 D3dr0_0
Hmm I need to try it out sometimes.
Xx_Kares_xX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84 Xx_Kares_xX
Man it's nice to have active members again @.@
D3dr0_0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85 D3dr0_0
Too bad I can't jump start the other union. It's hanging by a thread.
Xx_Kares_xX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86 Xx_Kares_xX
So is this one really... five active members does not a union make
lordmew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87 lordmew

Two people makes the thread so small you cant even see it, so we have been on even more shallow water. 

I have been a bit curious how FFE has done after the BONK crisis, do any of you know?

Xx_Kares_xX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88 Xx_Kares_xX
I believe D3dr0_0 said they are completely dead...which means that I apparently made the right choice in the beginning when I saw the two FF unions lol
irishdude199210

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89 irishdude199210
I can't think of a time when there were any more than about 10 people active in a short time period. Balmane, lordmew, albead and angelbless are the big 4 of this union. (Though albead only shows up occasionally). DreadDLorD used to be very active, raven was fairly active too and maniamsmart pretty much ran the union along with angelbless. I've been active for almost 2 years in this union, but I am not one of the old school guys :P There's people I haven't mentioned but I have to leave this computer now, there's people coming into this class :P
raven325

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90 raven325
Member since 2005 • 2939 Posts

Did I hear someone say my name? 

I know I haven't been on at all in a while. I even stopped getting on my ps3. It's been really crazy lately, and not going to let up anytime soon. My sister in law's pregnant again, so we'll have 2 rug rats running around!

lordmew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91 lordmew

Speak of the Devil and she shall apear :P, nice to see you again Raven, I hope you stay for a while

@Kares Well that is a shame, some of the members in FFE seemed like people that would stay through it. Especially Vince and Squall (Their darn nick, not the FF characther) 

@Irish I have never seen myself as one of the most active here, I think you must have mistaken me with someone else, all I do is to look into the board once a day, my total post cout is almost entierly from this board.

For me the big 4 were always Balmane, Angel, Maniam and you. All the others have been active for a period and have disappeared over time (Dread and all the others that were fairly active), I hope that Kares wont become a sleeper member like the others, I mean Kares could get PhD in FF with the analysating that has been done, to have someone like that leave would be a grave mistake.

Albead is of course the one that has almost made himself a legendary, I mean he leaves for a greater peroid and then reappears for a small amount of time (usually he makes one and a half game and then leaves), harder to see him than a Red Chocobo in FFXII. (On that note, I will probably start a Big Quiz when there actually is a chance people may join in, if there is people that want a Big Quiz)

irishdude199210

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92 irishdude199210

Nice to see you back raven :) Indeed, Kares has somewhat revived the union's activity. If we did awards again like we did last year I'd vote for Kares as member of the year for 2012. I don't know what it is that's causing low activity; Gamespot in general or just unions dying out. Either way, I've confided with and conversed with you guys more than people I know in real life. I'll remember this union for a long time.

D3dr0_0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93 D3dr0_0
So is this one really... five active members does not a union makeXx_Kares_xX
A little better than just two posting in one thread.
Balmane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94 Balmane
It's sad to see members leave. Maniam and Albead are missed :(
angelbless

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#95 angelbless
Member since 2003 • 8475 Posts

I know I haven't been on at all in a while. I even stopped getting on my ps3. It's been really crazy lately, and not going to let up anytime soon. My sister in law's pregnant again, so we'll have 2 rug rats running around!

raven325

raven!!! nice to see youu still among the living! :D Welcome back and conrgatulations!!! ;)

And Indeed... there were times when this union was really active, back in the year 2007 I think. We had so many people that we even divided the jobs into officers and support admins :o. I miss the old days, but like you guys suggested, GSs politics of not helping the unions, had a bad effect on this and other unions.

Most of the unions have died over the years, and the fact that the FFFU is still living shows really the importance of the people who has accompanied us through all these years. I cant thank you guys enough for still being around. Everybody thank you very much!!!!  :) And Kares, you alone gave us a reson to come back.... and for that I thank you too :)

Btw Lordmew, Big Quiz or a Hangman are not bad ideas at all ;)

Balmane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96 Balmane

raven325

Good to see you again Raven.

Kids are fun! Except when they are crying..... Now I wanna watch rugrats :P 

Xx_Kares_xX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97 Xx_Kares_xX

^^' well I'm flattered lol. I'm just glad people came back... I was actually about to give up myself except for when Lordmew kept conversations with me going. If only I really could get a PHD in final fantasy @.@... anyone think I could make a job out of that?

I think doing... Big Quiz could be very fun... though I'm not sure if it's the name of an actual game or literally just random FF questions ^^' either way trivia is fun, as Is hangman, I'd be up for doing that.

raven325

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98 raven325
Member since 2005 • 2939 Posts

I will be on a lot more now that I figured out that I can log on from my phone!! It's kinda rough reading the threads though...I will manage though. I missed all of you guys.

Xx_Kares_xX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99 Xx_Kares_xX
YAY FOR AWESOME PHONES.... I have a pretty crappy one myself though x.x lol..
D3dr0_0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100 D3dr0_0
I'm just glad I found one of the unions I'm in is still somewhat active. The rest either kicked the bucket or close to it.