DeadManRollin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

User Lists: 0

#1 DeadManRollin
Member since 2003 • 4406 Posts

Polish site Polygamia has imparted the system requirements for The Witcher 2 to the gamers.

Apparently, it seems like CD Projekt's highly anticipated RPG title won't force you to upgrade your PC into a high-end gaming rig. Instead, as a matter of fact the specifications are reasonable enough to run the game on a mid-range rig.

Check them out below:

Recommended specs:
Processor: Intel Quad Core or AMD equivalent
Graphics Card: Nvidia GeForce 260, 1 GB memory / Radeon HD 4850 with 1 GB memory
Memory: 3 GB for Windows XP / 4 GB for Windows Vista and Windows 7
Hard Disk: At least 16 GB of free space

Minimum specs:
Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo 2.2 GHz or AMD equivalent
Graphics Card: Nvidia GeForce 8800, 512 MB memory or ATI equivalent
Memory: 1 GB for Windows XP / 2 GB for Windows Vista and Windows 7
Hard Disk: 8 GB for the game installation and 8 GB for bonus materials

Caml10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#2 Caml10
Member since 2006 • 412 Posts
3GB RAM for Windows XP? Doesn't 32-bit limit you to 2? Or is that just my MoBo?
garfield360uk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#3 garfield360uk
Member since 2006 • 20381 Posts
I think the maximum a 32 bit system can read is about 2.5-3 gigabytes of memory (I think, could be wrong).
Avatar image for harry_james_pot
harry_james_pot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#4 harry_james_pot  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 11414 Posts
3GB RAM for Windows XP? Doesn't 32-bit limit you to 2? Or is that just my MoBo?Caml10
32-bit has a limit of 4GB for all of the devices combined, with the VRam having the priority. For example, if you have a 2GB video card, you can only use 2GB RAM.
harry_james_pot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 harry_james_pot  Moderator
I was really worried, but now it looks like i`ll run it on max settings! :D
Caml10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Caml10
Member since 2006 • 412 Posts
I've read several places that say my computer is limited to two, so I guess it's more a function of my hardware than my OS. I'll probably have a new computer by the time I get Witcher 2 though, seeing as the first one is still languishing in my sizeable backlog.
harry_james_pot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 harry_james_pot  Moderator
I've read several places that say my computer is limited to two, so I guess it's more a function of my hardware than my OS. I'll probably have a new computer by the time I get Witcher 2 though, seeing as the first one is still languishing in my sizeable backlog.Caml10
Oh, then yeah it`s probably just your motherboard`s limit.
topsemag55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#8 topsemag55
Member since 2007 • 19063 Posts

XP SP3 can access up to 4 GB RAM, but the hardware on your mobo always takes away some of that for making calls and the like.

If a mobo has a limitation of < 4 GB, then that is due to the manufacturer making smaller or fewer slots for memory cards.

One old XP machine I owned had slots for up to 4 GB, but had only 2 GB installed. I purchased a card that matched what I had at the time, and I pushed it up from 2 GB to 3 GB. Really helped, a lot of things sped up.

I'm running a GT 230 with 1.5 GB, and it runs DA2 and ME2 without problems, so I think I'll be okay for Witcher 2.

DeadManRollin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 DeadManRollin

Does Win 7 support higher amount of RAM? I wonder how my system will fare....I am really looking forward to playing this game.

My specs are:

Intel Core II Duo 2,0 Ghz

2 GM RAM

Win XP SP3 (will upgrade to Win 7 soon)

Sapphire Radeo 6870 1 GB 

garfield360uk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 garfield360uk

Windows 7 32bit does, but 64 bit has a greater memory range. I would go with the 64bit edition if you are planning on upgrading the CPU as well as then you should have a good gaming rig to go for a while then. You should be able to get a decent quad core if you are socket 775 as I have got a Intel Core 2 Quad on my PC now from an Intel E1800 or something like that (it was a dual core, but not a core 2 duo, just a plain Intel branded CPU).

topsemag55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 topsemag55

32-bit still has the ceiling of 4 GB no matter the OS.

Got this from Wikipedia - link to memory limits. (see table)

DeadManRollin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 DeadManRollin

Nice bits of information. I guess I will stick to my current specs for quite some time. I might upgrade the processor and add some more RAM next year. Let's see.

Regarding witcher 2, I read they have streamlined (read dumbed down) the different battle stances used by Gerralt in the first game. What do you think this implies?

topsemag55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 topsemag55

I know the combat isn't the same - it will be easier to switch between the combat styIes and the powers.

Frankly, I liked the unique combat system in the first game. It frustrated me a lot when I first started, but once I became used to it, I was taking out 5 wolves in one round by the time I got to Murky Waters.:lol:

The game is huge however - 16 GB - and for the life of me I cannot see how they could compress that much data (meshes and textures) into 256K for a PS3. I don't mean the whole 16 GB, but the info for placing Geralt on-screen and animate him.

For example, the intro cinematic for the first game is almost 500 MB, and it runs on a PC at > 500 fps. I don't believe a PS3 or a 360 could perform that well.

DeadManRollin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 DeadManRollin
So far only the PC version is announced...I don't think a console version is likely. The game is perhaps too deep for console gamers..haha. I loved the adult theme in the first game, and I am sure I will go back to complete it someday.
Faller88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Faller88
Member since 2006 • 7277 Posts
I probably wont be able to play it, since I've got a GeForce 9500 GT 512MB graphics card. Which is BS since I've been playing everything else, hell, even Dragon Age II can be played on the High Settings, on medium when theres allot going on, like big fights. I've got the 99 Euro Collector's Edition reserved, and I'm not sure if I should keep it or cancel it. If I can play it, even on low settings, I'll get it, if not......well, that would be an expensive statuette and medallion......
naserc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 naserc
Member since 2005 • 25 Posts

for now, i m stuck with gaming on my laptop, so hope mine has the chops to run this game. can anyone give me feedback on where mine stacks against the recommended specs in particular? my laptop config is as follows:

processor: cor 2 duo 2.53 ghz

ram: 4 gb (ddr3)

graphics: radeon hd 4670 (2 gb)

thanks! 

naserc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 naserc
Member since 2005 • 25 Posts
deadmanrolling: it'll come on consoles, albeit after the pc release. only the first one remained a pc exclusive.
garfield360uk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 garfield360uk
At a guess I would say your laptop will be able to run this game. However the CPU and GPU will be problematic (the CPU as it is only just above minimum requirements and is a dual core rather than quad core, the GPU as its a lower end card type, the ammount of memory on it wont be the issue unless it is is shared memory).
topsemag55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 topsemag55

I probably wont be able to play it, since I've got a GeForce 9500 GT 512MB graphics card. Which is BS since I've been playing everything else, hell, even Dragon Age II can be played on the High Settings, on medium when theres allot going on, like big fights. I've got the 99 Euro Collector's Edition reserved, and I'm not sure if I should keep it or cancel it. If I can play it, even on low settings, I'll get it, if not......well, that would be an expensive statuette and medallion......Faller88

The 9500GS should be able to handle it, but like you said you will have to keep the settings down somewhat.