Faller88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1 Faller88
Member since 2006 • 7277 Posts
Halo fans rejoice, Halo Wars (X360) , created by Ensemble Studios, will let you revisit your favorite Universe.This thread is the place to discuss it.
MareInfinitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#2 MareInfinitus
Member since 2008 • 268 Posts

I want it I want it!

Isn't it by the development team of Age of Empires? Ought to be pretty darn good. I'm looking forward to it. I enjoy good strategy games.

rikhan_z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 53

#3 rikhan_z
Member since 2005 • 3410 Posts
The name alone is catchy, however I do wonder what kind of gaming mechanics they would offer in the game... that's soemthing I'm waiting on.
newtruegunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#4 newtruegunner
Member since 2007 • 12508 Posts
i am kinda looking forward to this
despa1r_fact0r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#5 despa1r_fact0r
Member since 2008 • 24611 Posts
Here is a Game Play Video of Halo Wars
Zeromus1337

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 Zeromus1337
Member since 2008 • 15955 Posts

Here is a Game Play Video of Halo Warsdespa1r_fact0r

It looks alright. I haven't played much of Halo, but it sorta loses it's "epic" feel.

garfield360uk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#7 garfield360uk
Member since 2006 • 20381 Posts
I want to see some video between battles otherwise it looses its edge for me also as although I like Halo 3, this looks a bit Red Alert without the videos or character of your units.
lo_Reaper_ol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#8 lo_Reaper_ol
Member since 2007 • 4953 Posts
I'm looking forward to this as well....even though I can't stand Halo 3 anymore. Not playing that game again until the new map packs and the expansion comes out.
rikhan_z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 rikhan_z

Here is a Game Play Video of Halo Warsdespa1r_fact0r

It's not so bad... all the hype seems to be fainting alittle because of the end of Halo 3

Benny_is_here

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#10 Benny_is_here
Member since 2004 • 10084 Posts
The flood is confirmed to be in Halo Wars, but whether it's playable remains to be seen. I'm a big fan of the flood, but not sure if it works in an RTS. It also goes a bit against the canon, to my knowledge the Flood never appeared on Earth before the Halo events, which Halo Wars precedes.
Zeromus1337

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Zeromus1337
Member since 2008 • 15955 Posts
The Flood!? That is epic, indeed.
garfield360uk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 garfield360uk
Hmm, I agree with Benny, I am not really sure where the flood will fit into this. They will need serious work to get balanced as I see it they will either be too strong and over whelm you or they will be really rubbish and die with one shot type thing.
rikhan_z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 rikhan_z
Touching onto the story, It makes me wonder how good the story will be compared to the Starcraft series.
rikhan_z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 rikhan_z
Halo Wars has died down a bit... Microsoft is already planning the party right now... that's my guess.
garfield360uk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 garfield360uk
Yeah, it seems to have gone of the radar, but that may be due to the delay its getting in being released. Is it quarter two next year or is it a fall '09 release now?
rikhan_z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 rikhan_z
It makes me wonder how well it will be against Starcraft... despite Starcraft trying to be HUGE.
Darth_Brahma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#17 Darth_Brahma
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts
Starcraft and Warcraft are impressive games. C & C has been through a lot and made over a million games (exageration). Halo Wars could pass as an RTS, perhaps a Demo would be nice for us Halo fans and we'll give an in-depth review about it.
Darth_Brahma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#18 Darth_Brahma
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts
Correct. Challenging creatures The Flood are! It kind of made me frustrated while playing Halo 3 on legendary. Too many floods and surrounded by them got me a little stressed out and prevented me from moving ahead in the game.
Benny_is_here

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Benny_is_here

I like the flood a lot, but not the ones that stick to the walls. Those were really annoying...

I hope there's a demo coming for Halo Wars.

matt120282

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 matt120282
Member since 2005 • 462 Posts

maybe its gone a little quiet because of the announced closure of ensemble. that must be a real downer, having to finish a game knowing your job will be gone afterwards!

interested to see how this turns out, i have been a fan of ensemble games e.g. AOE3. i wish this was coming to PC though.

rikhan_z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 rikhan_z

maybe its gone a little quiet because of the announced closure of ensemble. that must be a real downer, having to finish a game knowing your job will be gone afterwards!

interested to see how this turns out, i have been a fan of ensemble games e.g. AOE3. i wish this was coming to PC though.

matt120282

I personality think the name 'Halo' has created a brand in itself. Once Halo wars gets mentioned and reviewed.. the whole of gamespot would be hyped. It the same as saying Nike top in Trainers and footwear as to Halo top in gaming world.

GoldFalcon25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#22 GoldFalcon25
Member since 2005 • 57 Posts
I think Halo Wars LOOKS interesting, but whether or not it will play well will be left up to us. I must say, though, I've always loved Age of Empires, so I have high hopes for this game. But from what I've seen so far, I'm not very impressed. Here's hoping it turns out to be great!
nealsdaman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 nealsdaman
Member since 2008 • 127 Posts
im skeptical since console rts's haven't been that good except for endwar witch was pretty good.
Benny_is_here

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Benny_is_here

Achievements have been unveiled.

Wanna know what my favorite is? This:

OMG BFF FTW

Complete entire Campaign in Co-op Mode

I burst out in laughter from the achievement title...

garfield360uk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 garfield360uk
Thats qutie good, I quite like some of the achievment names that can be gotten.
Crush_Project

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 49

#26 Crush_Project
Member since 2005 • 606 Posts

i still think the 'acheivements' thing is total bs.  In old systems they would actually give you some ingame reward or secret levels or something for completing ingame content.  Nowadays they just flash something on the screen that just acknowledges your actions and thats considered to be somehow better with less content.  I really do have to hand it to microsoft games, they really put in less work and everyone gets really happy about it.

I think ill be skipping this title, as i loathe the halo series in general and think its the worst video game series to ever have done as well as it has.  There is still NOTHING in ANY halo game that has not been done somewhere else better first, and the graphics have never impressed me.

Personally i find the quality of halo players to be inferior to the normal fps genre players anyways (just in general, not to say anything about our lovely people here), so i dont think these players will have much lure to bring me to thier rts.

You guys should let me know how you like it tho.

garfield360uk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 garfield360uk

Maybe, I do think the game is overhyped but I also like the multiplayer and story. I do think it does get a good mixture, maybe it is not original but the wide environments, open levels where you can progress at your pace, vehicle combat, characters, music levels, etc are all well combined.

Achievments are a bit bleh for me, I like to get them but I dont get loads. However, they do make games last longer for completionists and if done well can offer good value for money which is a good thing. I do like Call of Duty rank system where you unlock new wepons and perks as you play and makes me want to keep playing to unlock the top wepons and make myself a better player by giving it more time.

rikhan_z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 rikhan_z

Achievements have been unveiled.

Wanna know what my favorite is? This:

OMG BFF FTW

Complete entire Campaign in Co-op Mode

I burst out in laughter from the achievement title...

Benny_is_here

Oh my God, Best Friends Forever, For the Win

garfield360uk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 garfield360uk
It just needs OMG BFF 1337 FTW PWND! Uberskillz
rikhan_z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 rikhan_z

It just needs OMG BFF 1337 FTW PWND! UberskillzGarfield360UK

Makes me wonder who creates these

I really like 'Ready for the Sequel' award.

Benny_is_here

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Benny_is_here

[QUOTE="Garfield360UK"]It just needs OMG BFF 1337 FTW PWND! Uberskillzrikhan_z

Makes me wonder who creates these

I really like 'Ready for the Sequel' award.

Haha, I missed that one. Self-referential humor is fun.

i still think the 'acheivements' thing is total bs.

Crush_Project

I'm probably the biggest achievement fan here. You're totally right that it's just something that flashes on the screen and doesn't have much of a reward (besides the occasional gamerpicture), but for me it's a great push to do things I wouldn't  otherwise do. It just gives such a great sense of accomplishment for me, and the time I spend on a game usually ends when the achievements do.

I like Halo, but I do not adore it. I think it can be a lot of fun, and I am looking forward to Halo: Recon. The points you bring up are true, but I do not think they are that significant. If I recquired innovation in every game I wouldn't be playing a lot of games. I think you're just frustrated at the amount of press and sales this game has gotten without being something truly special and unique. I'm still baffled that this is the most played online game on a weekly basis, but with so many people playing it there must be something it's doing right.

garfield360uk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 garfield360uk
Agreed, I think that is a good summary Benny.
Benny_is_here

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Benny_is_here
I thought the demo was surprisingly good. I've only played it a little bit more, though. I think the controls work well.
garfield360uk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 garfield360uk

I quite like it, there are some issues like clostraphobic maps and the base locations being next to each other but more land to  exlpore leaves it a bit of an odd mix. The controls felt nice though and seemed to work but I think it still suffers from the needs a mouse issue that most console RTS titles seem to suffer from. Graphics wise it looks good and the building seems simple enough.

I dont know if I will be getting this title.

matt120282

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 matt120282
Member since 2005 • 462 Posts

i played the halo wars demo yesterday. sadly, it suffers from the same old issues all console RTS's do;

1. bad graphics - i know they have to do this because of memory constraints etc but having grown up with PC RTS, its hard to take. i recently got red alert 3 and the graphics on that really nice; vibrant and detailed.

2. controls - i will never accept that a mouse and keyboard isnt the way forward. after 5 minutes i was cursing the sensitivity of the reticule in halo wars. endwar's voice command was ok, but makes proceedings a bit simplified compared to say CoH

3.bad framerate - i really thought they would have sorted this, especially because of the poor graphics. but no, when you try and scroll accross the map, even with no mass of units, you get slowdown. i didnt get to the stage where there is a lot of units but i dread to think.

4. simple gameplay - you can tell this has been designed for people who dont play RTS. e.g the basic economy (for goodness sake all you have to do is build a supply point and you get free unlimited money without any further effort or planning)  and the tooltips which tell you, ronseal style (it does what it says on the tin) what each unit and building does to the letter.

all in all, i wont be buying this. i loved ensemble's previous games, but this is just not worth my time or money compared to titles on the pc i could be playing. 

hopefully this will convince people like creative assembly and stardock that strategy belongs on PC! dont get me wrong, i like my 360 - certain genres (sport, fighting, racing) just belong on a console.

Benny_is_here

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Benny_is_here

Matt brings up valid points. It's a simpler RTS than most, and the framerate did hiccup some times. I think the problem is just that there's not enough buttons on a controller compared to a keyboard. I don't think it's the mouse that is the issue - at the most you just need some time getting used to it. On a PC you have all these hotkeys that lets you do advanced stuff in a matter of seconds, which isn't the case on the 360.

I won't be buying this, but that's simply for the fact that it's an RTS game. I am not interested in RTS games at all.

garfield360uk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 garfield360uk
Halo Wars got a 6.5 from Gamespot, anybody supprised? What do you think of this game?
kevinjia32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#38 kevinjia32
Member since 2005 • 1278 Posts

i played the halo wars demo yesterday. sadly, it suffers from the same old issues all console RTS's do;

1. bad graphics - i know they have to do this because of memory constraints etc but having grown up with PC RTS, its hard to take. i recently got red alert 3 and the graphics on that really nice; vibrant and detailed.

2. controls - i will never accept that a mouse and keyboard isnt the way forward. after 5 minutes i was cursing the sensitivity of the reticule in halo wars. endwar's voice command was ok, but makes proceedings a bit simplified compared to say CoH

3.bad framerate - i really thought they would have sorted this, especially because of the poor graphics. but no, when you try and scroll accross the map, even with no mass of units, you get slowdown. i didnt get to the stage where there is a lot of units but i dread to think.

4. simple gameplay - you can tell this has been designed for people who dont play RTS. e.g the basic economy (for goodness sake all you have to do is build a supply point and you get free unlimited money without any further effort or planning)  and the tooltips which tell you, ronseal style (it does what it says on the tin) what each unit and building does to the letter.

all in all, i wont be buying this. i loved ensemble's previous games, but this is just not worth my time or money compared to titles on the pc i could be playing. 

hopefully this will convince people like creative assembly and stardock that strategy belongs on PC! dont get me wrong, i like my 360 - certain genres (sport, fighting, racing) just belong on a console.

matt120282

I think that this is a great example of why RTS should not move to consoles. Ever. 

pai-may

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 pai-may
Member since 2008 • 4101 Posts
Has anyone played actual game code rather than a demo, which after all could have been based on early code? The review does not look too promising here at Gamespot though, to be fair.
nealsdaman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 nealsdaman
the funny thing is, gameinformer game halo wars a 9, so really who know's?
DeadManRollin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#41 DeadManRollin
Member since 2003 • 4416 Posts

With all the hype, I thought Halo Wars would break new RTS grounds in console. When I first heard about console RTS games, I thought "damn, that's impossible". But then I saw some games getting good reviews, and thought maybe some people could actually like playing RTS games with a gamepad. But to me, it's an impossible idea and I will always prefer PC versions.

Now allow me to head off to read the review!

garfield360uk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 garfield360uk

I think there was valid criticism in the review like how there is only one sides campaign playable and in multiplayer/skirmish there is 2 sides and they have very few units each. There are design issues like on the demo my base was literally next to the enemies and that made it a bit hard to get going when you are literally building next to the enemy at the start.

It looks nice and the story sounds interesting but I would not say this is the best RTS ever either.

pai-may

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 pai-may
I think the fact that the game presents a single player option that can be finished within 5 hours is also pretty damning. Serious RTS players are going to consider that pretty weak.
nealsdaman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 nealsdaman
Plus on the review they say you can fight the flood in the campaign but can't play them, why would they put something like that in?
kevinjia32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 kevinjia32

the funny thing is, gameinformer game halo wars a 9, so really who know's?nealsdaman

Does it deserve 9? That is the question. 

garfield360uk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 garfield360uk

Its down to opinon at the end of the day really, some will love it, some will find it average, some wont like it. This is how the reviews are, I dont think its an odd review score as say the IGN issue when Football Manager got 1.4 or something like that and compared it to Pro Evo and Fifa which are not even the same game type. However, that was sorted out, it depends how Gamespot and the reviewer wanted to approach the game and also all reviews are checked by other members of the site so it seems that maybe more than one person agrees on how this has been done.

Anyway, will anybody actually be getting Halo Wars tommorow?

nealsdaman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 nealsdaman
I don't have a 360 so I can't get it anyway.
pai-may

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 pai-may
Not me. The game's length does not justify its cost, especially when you consider the flaws of the multiplayer in addition.
kevinjia32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 kevinjia32

Not me. The game's length does not justify its cost, especially when you consider the flaws of the multiplayer in addition.pai-may

Thats what a lot of people are saying. 

DeadManRollin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#50 DeadManRollin
Member since 2003 • 4416 Posts
I am a big fan of Ensemble Studios (RIP) and I am yet to play a bad game from bad. Unfortunately, I can't play Halo wars as there's no PC version. Even if the game remotely resembles the AOE, AOM games, it should be a good game. I wonder what went wrong this time!