uas-2001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 uas-2001
Member since 2005 • 18781 Posts
To all leaders, do you make them? And to all members, do you read them?
julian_jr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 julian_jr
Member since 2007 • 83416 Posts
I do at times. I love the idea, but I've never used it as much as I want since less people check the homepage for my union.
michaelP4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#3 michaelP4
Member since 2004 • 16681 Posts
When I was a leader, I'd try to get my members to read home page updates, but they preferred me posting them in the board. And as a member of unions, I generally keep to the board as well (more convenient since you can access your favourite boards on the Forums page).
uas-2001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 uas-2001

When I was a leader, I'd try to get my members to read home page updates, but they preferred me posting them in the board. And as a member of unions, I generally keep to the board as well (more convenient since you can access your favourite boards on the Forums page).michaelP4

Exactly, people tend to skip the home page due to the favourite boards system. If only there was a 'Favourite Unions' thingy too :roll:

Artekus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5 Artekus
Member since 2008 • 15700 Posts

[QUOTE="michaelP4"]When I was a leader, I'd try to get my members to read home page updates, but they preferred me posting them in the board. And as a member of unions, I generally keep to the board as well (more convenient since you can access your favourite boards on the Forums page).uas-2001

Exactly, people tend to skip the home page due to the favourite boards system. If only there was a 'Favourite Unions' thingy too :roll:

A surprising number of people don't even know how to favourite boards... :? 

lancelot200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 lancelot200
Member since 2005 • 61977 Posts

If the union is really dedicated to news, and news appear everyday then everyone would check the homepage repeatedly. It's just not the case anymore.

On the other hand, officers like to have homepage updates to be commented on.

uas-2001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 uas-2001
[QUOTE="uas-2001"]

[QUOTE="michaelP4"]When I was a leader, I'd try to get my members to read home page updates, but they preferred me posting them in the board. And as a member of unions, I generally keep to the board as well (more convenient since you can access your favourite boards on the Forums page).Artekus

A surprising number of people don't even know how to favourite boards... :? 

Really? Still, wouldn't hurt to make getting to the union home page a bit easier.

julian_jr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 julian_jr
A surprising number of people don't even know how to favourite boards... :?Artekus
Does Welcome Newbies not have that in one of their guides?
Artekus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Artekus
Member since 2008 • 15700 Posts

[QUOTE="Artekus"]A surprising number of people don't even know how to favourite boards... :?julian_jr
Does Welcome Newbies not have that in one of their guides?

I have no idea, I've only visted that board a handful of times in 4 years. 

michaelP4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 michaelP4
No, none of the current How To GameSpot guides have any information on the Favourite Boards feature. Although it may well be true that a number of people maybe don't use the feature, we've never really had any questions on how to use it - which is the basis of our guides (to answer frequently asked questions on how to use GameSpot).
julian_jr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 julian_jr
Perhaps someone should create a small guide on it, since the reason no one asks is since they probably don't even know about it.
michaelP4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 michaelP4
There might have been some mentioning of the feature in the giant Forum guide we used to have. The problem though with creating a guide on it would be that if we created a guide on that, then why not create a guide on how to use the tools that an officer can use (stickying and closing topics)? When we revised the guides, we wanted to cut stuff like that out, because it seems too obvious to do. It would be like creating a guide on how to post or on how to create a topic. Or even use this thread for example: why not create a guide on how to use the homepage (which can raise awareness of it as well)? We think what we have now is sufficient, without explaining every single thing the site offers. Also makes it much easier for users (including helpers, rangers and moderators) to find things in the guides, without having to go through obvious stuff like that. Instead, we believe it's best to only answer the frequently asked questions. Even then, it's not like the Favourite Boards feature isn't hard to find. I noticed it years ago, and only started using it whenever I had many boards to go. Maybe the reason why many users don't use it is because they only have a few select boards to go to.
siberian142

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#13 siberian142
Member since 2007 • 7774 Posts
I rarely used the front page. It's easier to just use the union board because people check it more often than they would homepage updates.