When people ask what's your religion, how do you respond?

Avatar image for deactivated-5a79221380856
deactivated-5a79221380856

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 deactivated-5a79221380856
Member since 2007 • 13125 Posts

I tell them I'm don't belong to a religion. Like, for example, if they're a Christian, I'll tell them I'm not a Christian, but I won't specify what my religoius beliefs are even though that's more likely going to make them evangelize.

I signed up for a dating site called OkCupid and it asks for your religion, not your religious beliefs like other sites such as Facebook do, where it is worded in a way which makes nonreligious attitudes acceptable. Even though I resent implying atheism is "my religion", because it's not a religion, I did it anyway because I think it's the most accurate description of someone. I keep wondering about it. LOL. I'm really obsessive over insigificant issues such as this. Anyone as obsessive about it as I am?

ChiliDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 ChiliDragon
Member since 2006 • 8444 Posts
There was no option to just leave it blank?
-Sun_Tzu-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 -Sun_Tzu-
Member since 2007 • 17384 Posts

I tell them that I'm a Jewish atheist, and in a way that's not a completely untrue statement. 

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 deactivated-5a79221380856

There was no option to just leave it blank?ChiliDragon

Yes, you can leave it blank, but I don't like leaving anything blank.

domatron23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 domatron23
Member since 2007 • 6226 Posts

If someone asks me what my religion is I'll simply tell them that I do not have one. My atheism isn't an appropriate answer so I don't go into it unless asked and I wouldn't list it as my religion.

Sounds like OkCupid kind of posed that question in a way that wasn't particularly accommodating to atheists. Doesn't really matter though, we are a minority after all. I'm sure asexuals get frustrated when you ask them what sexual orientation they are.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 deactivated-5a79221380856

Sounds like OkCupid kind of posed that question in a way that wasn't particularly accommodating to atheists. Doesn't really matter though, we are a minority after all. I'm sure asexuals get frustrated when you ask them what sexual orientation they are.

domatron23

LOL. I never thought about that, but I've always considered asexuality an orientation.

domatron23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 domatron23
[QUOTE="domatron23"]

Genetic_Code

LOL. I never thought about that, but I've always considered asexuality an orientation.

Towards whom would they orient their sexuality? I think asexuals lack a sexual orientation in the same way that atheists lack a belief in God. I could be wrong in drawing that parallel though.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#8 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
Non-religious, non-theist. I haven't been convinced of any religious faith yet... but maybe you could do it?

I'm always open to having religious discussions with people, but oddly enough, most religious people don't seem to want to talk to me about their faith and why I should believe it too.
Teenaged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#9 Teenaged
Member since 2007 • 31764 Posts

Other.

I hope no one asks.

Because I'll have to lie.

dracula_16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#10 dracula_16
Member since 2005 • 15997 Posts
"I don't follow any religion. I'm an atheist."
chopperdave447

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 chopperdave447
Member since 2009 • 597 Posts
i usually say i'm a pastafarian, or just quietly say i'm not that religious. i don't see the point in arguing with most people, a lot of people just will not listen to reason.
ghoklebutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#12 ghoklebutter
Member since 2007 • 19327 Posts
I say I'm a Muslim, usually.
Vladka22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Vladka22
Member since 2009 • 499 Posts
Normally people ask me if i go to church, i say no, then always comes the question "but do you believe in god?", i say no, people always react bad to that, i usually end saying i believe in science
domatron23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 domatron23

Normally people ask me if i go to church, i say no, then always comes the question "but do you believe in god?", i say no, people always react bad to that, i usually end saying i believe in scienceVladka22

Are you from America perchance? It's a pity you come from a place where not believing in God is looked at as intrinsicly bad.

Also when you say that you believe in science does that you mean that you believe in the general scientific consensus or the validity of the scientific method or something else? Because really using "science" as a substitute answer for what your opinion about theology is can be pretty shifty territory. Makes it sound like a religion or something and I'm sure religious folk will be all to quick to interpret it like that.

Vladka22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Vladka22
Are you from America perchance? It's a pity you come from a place where not believing in God is looked at as intrinsicly bad.

Also when you say that you believe in science does that you mean that you believe in the general scientific consensus or the validity of the scientific method or something else? Because really using "science" as a substitute answer for what your opinion about theology is can be pretty shifty territory. Makes it sound like a religion or something and I'm sure religious folk will be all to quick to interpret it like that.

domatron23

Yeah, i'm from America, not USA but Nicaragua, people here are pretty sensitive about religion. When i say i believe in science i mean in scientific consensus, i agree that by saying i believe in science could lead to misunderstandings but for me means i believe in what science explains or try to explain (ie evolution, The Big Bang)

GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#16 GabuEx
Member since 2006 • 36552 Posts

Yeah, i'm from America, not USA but Nicaragua, people here are pretty sensitive about religion. When i say i believe in science i mean in scientific consensus, i agree that by saying i believe in science could lead to misunderstandings but for me means i believe in what science explains or try to explain (ie evolution, The Big Bang)

Vladka22

Have you actually investigated the evidence and logic behind the assertions science makes, or have you more or less simply taken it at scientists' say-so?

Darth-Caedus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Darth-Caedus
Member since 2008 • 20756 Posts
When asked online: I specify that I neither believe nor disbelieve in any deities, and that I think that it is impossible for humans to know what deity(ies) exist, if any, and that I think it is utterly pointless (And quite frankly, a bit stuck up...) to pretend to know the "one true answer".

In real life when asked: I just shrug and try to change the subject. If they persist, I say Agnostic, and change the subject. Can't stand dealing with religious debates IRL. :P

Vladka22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Vladka22

Have you actually investigated the evidence and logic behind the assertions science makes, or have you more or less simply taken it at scientists' say-so?

GabuEx

I don't believe everything i read or hear, i always investigate everything, i like to examine different points of view before accepting or rejecting something

mindstorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 mindstorm
Member since 2003 • 15255 Posts

I've never been asked. Why ask a question when you already know the answer?

What can I say, I talk about Jesus a lot. :P

GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 GabuEx
[QUOTE="GabuEx"]

Vladka22

I don't believe everything i read or hear, i always investigate everything, i like to examine different points of view before accepting or rejecting something

So what do you do for investigation?

ghoklebutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#21 ghoklebutter
Member since 2007 • 19327 Posts

mindstorm

Ah, so you're a Rastafarian! I knew it all along. :P

Barbariser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#22 Barbariser
Member since 2009 • 6785 Posts
No one's asked me yet - although I suppose that if the question were to arise, my response would be "legally Christian, personally an Agnostic Atheist."
domatron23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 domatron23

Yeah, i'm from America, not USA but Nicaragua

Vladka22

Okay I'm officially confused. Are you American born but currently living in Nicaragua or do I have it wrong?

people here are pretty sensitive about religion.Vladka22

If you're in America or Nicaragua I believe you either way.

domatron23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 domatron23

No one's asked me yet - although I suppose that if the question were to arise, my response would be "legally Christian, personally an Agnostic Atheist."Barbariser

I demand elaboration. Does "legally" mean that you're baptised or that you live in a Christian society or something else?

Barbariser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#25 Barbariser
Member since 2009 • 6785 Posts

[QUOTE="Barbariser"]No one's asked me yet - although I suppose that if the question were to arise, my response would be "legally Christian, personally an Agnostic Atheist."domatron23

I demand elaboration. Does "legally" mean that you're baptised or that you live in a Christian society or something else?

No, I'm "officially" a Christian in my nation, because that's always the "box" I tick whenever a form shows up. It's mostly to do with the fact that "Atheist" isn't an option for said tickboxes where I live, and it's also because that's what my parents registered me as. I haven't reached adulthood yet.
mindstorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 mindstorm
Member since 2003 • 15255 Posts
[QUOTE="mindstorm"]

ghoklebutter

Ah, so you're a Rastafarian! I knew it all along. :P

RAmen, the tomato sause is strong with this one.

ChiliDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 ChiliDragon
Member since 2006 • 8444 Posts
[QUOTE="Vladka22"]Yeah, i'm from America, not USA but Nicaraguadomatron23
Okay I'm officially confused. Are you American born but currently living in Nicaragua or do I have it wrong?

If I had to guess I would say born and bred Nicaraguan. That country is a part of the Americas after all... there's more to these continents than the US. ;) Of course I could easily be wrong. :)
Vladka22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Vladka22
So what do you do for investigation?GabuEx

Well, nothing excepcional, i just read, i try to read everything i can, i always say you cannot comment on something before knowing it, so i try to know before comment if i don't know i don't comment  

If I had to guess I would say born and bred Nicaraguan. That country is a part of the Americas after all... there's more to these continents than the US. ;) Of course I could easily be wrong. :)ChiliDragon

Yeah, you're right, born and bred in Nicaragua

domatron23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 domatron23

If I had to guess I would say born and bred Nicaraguan. That country is a part of the Americas after all... there's more to these continents than the US. ;) Of course I could easily be wrong. :)ChiliDragon

*mind blown*

Holy crap all this time I thought that Nicaragua was some place in Africa. Now it turns out it's a place in South America. Sorry Vladka22, as you can see I'm absolutely shocking when it comes to geography.

GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 GabuEx

Holy crap all this time I thought that Nicaragua was some place in Africa.

domatron23

...That's Nigeria. :P

Dr_AlanGrant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Dr_AlanGrant
Member since 2009 • 83 Posts
I don't think I've ever been asked but if I was, I'd just say that I have no religion and that I'm an atheist.
Thessassin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Thessassin
Member since 2007 • 1819 Posts

Q:"say really handsome guy, what religion are you" ( yes that is how its usually phrased)

A:"Im an atheist"

Q:"Whats that?"

A:"Dont belive in god"

and life goes on, true story

Avatar image for blazingsaddle95
blazingsaddle95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#33 blazingsaddle95
Member since 2009 • 2605 Posts
I simply say that I'm an Atheist
dwoodin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 dwoodin
Member since 2010 • 33 Posts
I simply respond by informing them in my belief in the Flying spaghetti Monster and his noodly appendage. May you all be touched by him, Ramen.
Teenaged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Teenaged
Member since 2007 • 31764 Posts

The problem is I dont know whow to properly translate "Flying Spaghetti Monster" to throw that humorous response in Greek. :P

Dammit!

Hm... Ιπτάμενο Μακαρονο-τέρας?

ragek1ll589

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 ragek1ll589
Member since 2007 • 8650 Posts
I haven't been asked what my religion is by someone outright in a few years. Since the last occurrence my views on religion and my personal beliefs have changed drastically. I actually haven't considered what I would say in response to that inquiry. I guess I would say non-believer/non-religious, even though I slowly becoming an atheist.