Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 deactivated-5a79221380856
Member since 2007 • 13125 Posts

In God We Don't Trust.

Michelle Kahle has an interesting article about how Americans can cross out God on the dollar bill to "de-God" it. Apparently, it's legal too, although I would imagine if this practice gets a large amount of followers and if the Republicans come into control which is likely due to President Obama's poor handling of the economy that won't be the case. The moral question though is, "Is it acceptable?" Personallly, I see it as overtly anti-God. I can understand how as atheists, we can call into question the practice of legislating God, but the practice Kahle describes is akin to rewriting the Pledge of Allegiance to say, "one nation under no god". It's explicitly irreligious which should mean that it shoudn't be legal. I'm tempted to try it, but I think it's wrong.

What are your thoughts on this practice?

-Sun_Tzu-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 -Sun_Tzu-
Member since 2007 • 17384 Posts

I see nothing wrong with secularizing our currency, it should be secular in the first place - although I don't mind the phrase all that much.

As for rewriting the Pledge of Allegiance - the line "one nation under god" was not originally in the Pledge. It was added; i.e. rewrote by right-wing religious folks during the 1950's to show those Godless commie bastards how much we luv God.  

Frattracide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 Frattracide
Member since 2005 • 5395 Posts
If we remove god from our currency, then we would just be paving the way for the commies to take over.
-Sun_Tzu-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 -Sun_Tzu-

If we remove god from our currency, then we would just be paving the way for the commies to take over.Frattracide

And then our bodily fluids won't stand a chance in hell. 

domatron23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 domatron23
Member since 2007 • 6226 Posts

Yeah I don't really like the idea of defacing currency.

Here in New Zealand our ten dollar note has a picture of Kate Sheppherd, an early Women's rights leader, and there might be people who don't like her being on our currency. But frankly my line of thought is bugger what a small minority says, this note represents the people of this country well so it can stay. If I were an American Christian I'd probably have that attitude towards atheists who wanted to remove God from the one dollar bill.

Frattracide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Frattracide
In all seriousness, lining through "In God we trust" on all my bills seems like a lot of trouble.
ghoklebutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7 ghoklebutter
Member since 2007 • 19327 Posts
I don't care, it's still money. :P
GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#8 GabuEx
Member since 2006 • 36552 Posts
If someone actually cares so much about it that they cross out "God" on every single bill that they come across, then I think that person needs help. :P
dracula_16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#9 dracula_16
Member since 2005 • 15997 Posts

Normally I would support the idea of getting under the skin of fundies, but scribbling on bills is a kin to removing all of the water in an ocean with a tea spoon. It's a waste of time.

Avatar image for MetalGear_Ninty
MetalGear_Ninty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 MetalGear_Ninty
Member since 2008 • 6337 Posts

If someone actually cares so much about it that they cross out "God" on every single bill that they come across, then I think that person needs help. :PGabuEx

Well, through that logic, it takes far more effort and attention for one to go to church and such....so...:P

Gambler_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -4

#11 Gambler_3
Member since 2009 • 7736 Posts

[QUOTE="GabuEx"]If someone actually cares so much about it that they cross out "God" on every single bill that they come across, then I think that person needs help. :PMetalGear_Ninty

Well, through that logic, it takes far more effort and attention for one to go to church and such....so...:P

But they believe all that effort is going to be worth it. This on the other hand is quite a waste of time with no apparant benefit.

MetalGear_Ninty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 MetalGear_Ninty
[QUOTE="MetalGear_Ninty"]

[QUOTE="GabuEx"]If someone actually cares so much about it that they cross out "God" on every single bill that they come across, then I think that person needs help. :PGambler_3

But they believe all that effort is going to be worth it. This on the other hand is quite a waste of time with no apparant benefit.

What about fighting for secularisation, an attempt to resist the imposition of religiosity on one's everyday life, and persuade people of the wrongness of this. That's certainly not nothing.
ChiliDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 ChiliDragon
Member since 2006 • 8444 Posts
What about fighting for secularisation, an attempt to resist the imposition of religiosity on one's everyday life, and persuade people of the wrongness of this. That's certainly not nothing.MetalGear_Ninty
Agreed, it's not. "Freedom of religion" does not automatically give the right to force it on others. However, as a theist who sees absolutely nothing religious about money or what is printed on it, I'd be willing to argue that there are other more blatant and intrusive ways of imposing religion on you and other atheists, that I'd see more of a point to than drawing and scribbling on dollar bills. For one, you give a store clerk an excuse not to accept that dollar bill, if they so choose. Second, unless you're going to do it on all your coins as well, why bother? All or nothing, please. :) I get that atheists dislike being surrounded by aggressive religious statements and symbols everywhere. If I was one I'd be one of the more vocal protesters, I think. At the same time, there's such a thing as picking your battles. Forcing atheist school kids to join in morning prayer seems to me like much more of a trespass on a person's integrity , and a more urgent cause to fight. After all, no one forcing us to study our money and pay attention to what's printed on it, to the point where -- at the risk of offending -- I think this might be one of those issues that a lot of people werent' even aware of until they were told they should be bothered. So to sum up, I think G_C's poll up there need a fifth option, "I don't have an opinion either way, since I cant' be bothered to care about it" :D
Gambler_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Gambler_3
[QUOTE="Gambler_3"][QUOTE="MetalGear_Ninty"]

[QUOTE="GabuEx"]If someone actually cares so much about it that they cross out "God" on every single bill that they come across, then I think that person needs help. :PMetalGear_Ninty

What about fighting for secularisation, an attempt to resist the imposition of religiosity on one's everyday life, and persuade people of the wrongness of this. That's certainly not nothing.

Take the issue to the government and urge them to issue new bills without those words? Now that'll be something I'll support.

I just find it rather stupid to do it on all the bills you get. There's nothing wrong with it but it's just so pointless in my opinion. I dont see how it affects anyone what a few tiny words mean on a dollar bill. :)

ChiliDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 ChiliDragon
Take the issue to the government and urge them to issue new bills without those words? Now that'll be something I'll support. I just find it rather stupid to do it on all the bills you get. There's nothing wrong with it but it's just so pointless in my opinion. I dont see how it affects anyone what a few tiny words mean on a dollar bill. :)Gambler_3
We agree on something??? :shock: I think this might be a sign of the apocalypse coming soon... :lol: I mainly agree with you that it's a pointless thing to manually scratch out the words "in god we trust" on a dollar bill because all it does is state an opinion. And there are better ways of doing that.
Gambler_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Gambler_3
We agree on something??? :shock: I think this might be a sign of the apocalypse coming soon... :lol:ChiliDragon
lol.:D
MetalGear_Ninty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 MetalGear_Ninty

[QUOTE="MetalGear_Ninty"] What about fighting for secularisation, an attempt to resist the imposition of religiosity on one's everyday life, and persuade people of the wrongness of this. That's certainly not nothing.ChiliDragon
Agreed, it's not. "Freedom of religion" does not automatically give the right to force it on others. However, as a theist who sees absolutely nothing religious about money or what is printed on it, I'd be willing to argue that there are other more blatant and intrusive ways of imposing religion on you and other atheists, that I'd see more of a point to than drawing and scribbling on dollar bills. For one, you give a store clerk an excuse not to accept that dollar bill, if they so choose. Second, unless you're going to do it on all your coins as well, why bother? All or nothing, please. :) I get that atheists dislike being surrounded by aggressive religious statements and symbols everywhere. If I was one I'd be one of the more vocal protesters, I think. At the same time, there's such a thing as picking your battles. Forcing atheist school kids to join in morning prayer seems to me like much more of a trespass on a person's integrity , and a more urgent cause to fight. After all, no one forcing us to study our money and pay attention to what's printed on it, to the point where -- at the risk of offending -- I think this might be one of those issues that a lot of people werent' even aware of until they were told they should be bothered. So to sum up, I think G_C's poll up there need a fifth option, "I don't have an opinion either way, since I cant' be bothered to care about it" :D

Well, I guess it's more to do with the principle than anything else; I guess that the people doing this aren't wanting to deface every item of currency in the US, but rather to make a stand for something they believe in.

Was Rosa Parks doing anything physically substantial when she refused to give up her seat on the bus? But does that make her plight any less worth recognising?

Also, what is to say that the proponents for this course of action aren't fighting for the prayer in school issue as well?

MetalGear_Ninty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 MetalGear_Ninty
[QUOTE="MetalGear_Ninty"][QUOTE="Gambler_3"][QUOTE="MetalGear_Ninty"]

[QUOTE="GabuEx"]If someone actually cares so much about it that they cross out "God" on every single bill that they come across, then I think that person needs help. :PGambler_3

Take the issue to the government and urge them to issue new bills without those words? Now that'll be something I'll support.

I just find it rather stupid to do it on all the bills you get. There's nothing wrong with it but it's just so pointless in my opinion. I dont see how it affects anyone what a few tiny words mean on a dollar bill. :)

Well, I personally wouldn't do it myself, but wouldn't go as far to say that it was completely useless. check my reply to chili's post for further details.
ChiliDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 ChiliDragon

Well, I guess it's more to do with the principle than anything else; I guess that the people doing this aren't wanting to deface every item of currency in the US, but rather to make a stand for something they believe in.

Was Rosa Parks doing anything physically substantial when she refused to give up her seat on the bus? But does that make her plight any less worth recognising?

Also, what is to say that the proponents for this course of action aren't fighting for the prayer in school issue as well?

MetalGear_Ninty
You compare the situation of atheists in modern US to the way the segregation laws systematically oppressed and discriminated against the black people in the south? :|
MetalGear_Ninty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 MetalGear_Ninty

ChiliDragon

You compare the situation of atheists in modern US to the way the segregation laws systematically oppressed and discriminated against the black people in the south? :|

No, take the analogy for what it is, and when you take it too far that's when you have problems.

An analogy is an analogy is an analogy. Nothing more, nothing less.

If I so wanted, I could make analogies between Hitler and Jesus if I so wanted, that's not to say that I think Jesus and Hitler are alike in personality or ideology.

ChiliDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 ChiliDragon
I've actually seen some good analogies between Hitler and Jesus, mainly around their ability to gather followers, changing the course of history, and similar lines of thought, but out of fear of being brutally moderated I will not give you details. :D I guess I'm disagreeing whether it's a good analogy to start with, since Rosa Parks was protesting something very different than what a person who crosses out the phrase "in god we trust" on the dollar bill does. Dollar bills are being used as payment in a monetary transaction, not as a method to strip atheists of some of their basic human rights. A person giving another person a few dollar bills doesn't do it with the intent of promoting the Christian faith, they do it because social convention dictates that you pay for your cup of coffee before you take it with you to drink on the way to work. Before anyone says anything, I can of course see the point that since the government should not support or endorse any one religion over any other they should not put religious stuff of government printed materials, like stamps or dollar bills, but that little statement doesn't actually which god it is we're trusting in... for all the detail that phrase gives out it could just as well be Allah or Krishna. :D Is the mere mention of a deity the same as pushing religion down someone's throat? When does it become just a figure of speech, like the exclamation "oh dear god!" when someone is startled/shocked/disgusted isn't actually a prayer but just an expression of emotion? Besides, the triangle above the pyramid is one of the oldest symbols of the judeo-christian God. Why is no one objecting as strenuously against that one, since that triangle actually does point towards a specific god and not just mentions a deity in general?
MetalGear_Ninty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 MetalGear_Ninty

I guess I'm disagreeing whether it's a good analogy to start with, since Rosa Parks was protesting something very different than what a person who crosses out the phrase "in god we trust" on the dollar bill does. Dollar bills are being used as payment in a monetary transaction, not as a method to strip atheists of some of their basic human rights. A person giving another person a few dollar bills doesn't do it with the intent of promoting the Christian faith, they do it because social convention dictates that you pay for your cup of coffee before you take it with you to drink on the way to work.

Before anyone says anything, I can of course see the point that since the government should not support or endorse any one religion over any other they should not put religious stuff of government printed materials, like stamps or dollar bills, but that little statement doesn't actually which god it is we're trusting in... for all the detail that phrase gives out it could just as well be Allah or Krishna. :D Is the mere mention of a deity the same as pushing religion down someone's throat? When does it become just a figure of speech, like the exclamation "oh dear god!" when someone is startled/shocked/disgusted isn't actually a prayer but just an expression of emotion? Besides, the triangle above the pyramid is one of the oldest symbols of the judeo-christian God. Why is no one objecting as strenuously against that one, since that triangle actually does point towards a specific god and not just mentions a deity in general?ChiliDragon

Yeah, I wouldn't say the two scenarios are exactly the same, just that the principle of standing up for something you believe in, despite not actually doing anything immensely tangible, does not mean that those actions are insignificant, and I think in that regards, the analogy holds.

Also, yeah, I'm not immensely angry about the words on the currency, I can just why the people who are doing this, are doing what they are doing.

I have absolutely no idea why people haven't taken issue with that, personally I thought it was a masonic symbol, but I gues I must be wrong.

GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 GabuEx

MetalGear_Ninty

The biggest difference I can see is that Rosa Parks did something that was very visible and which required the enforcement of a law that she was fighting against, and that enforcement became a rallying event for all of its opponents.  This, though?  This is just defacing currency; it doesn't inconvenience anyone and most people will probably not even notice.

-Sun_Tzu-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 -Sun_Tzu-

GabuEx

The biggest difference I can see is that Rosa Parks did something that was very visible and which required the enforcement of a law that she was fighting against, and that enforcement became a rallying event for all of its opponents.  This, though?  This is just defacing currency; it doesn't inconvenience anyone and most people will probably not even notice.

Hmm, you have a point. If no one notices the de-secularization campaign then it's a wasted effort.

Therefore, I propose a burning of all currency featuring the words "In God we Trust". Someone would have to notice that. 

Frattracide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Frattracide
[QUOTE="GabuEx"][QUOTE="MetalGear_Ninty"]

-Sun_Tzu-

Hmm, you have a point. If no one notices the de-secularization campaign then it's a wasted effort.

Therefore, I propose a burning of all currency featuring the words "In God we Trust". Someone would have to notice that. 

I hate to be the pragmatist here but you know you can exchange that currency for stuff. Really neat stuff.  

ChiliDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 ChiliDragon
[QUOTE="-Sun_Tzu-"]

Frattracide

I hate to be the pragmatist here but you know you can exchange that currency for stuff. Really neat stuff.  

Like video games, make-up, and swords! :D However, it is not our place to tell a man what he can and can't do with his money. I don't think it's illegal to burn your own money. Burning someone else's, now that would cause a bit of a stir.
GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 GabuEx
[QUOTE="Frattracide"][QUOTE="-Sun_Tzu-"]

ChiliDragon

Like video games, make-up, and swords! :D However, it is not our place to tell a man what he can and can't do with his money. I don't think it's illegal to burn your own money. Burning someone else's, now that would cause a bit of a stir.

"Oh, don't worry; I'm only burning my half of the money."

ChiliDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 ChiliDragon
Exactly!!! :lol: There is nothing illegal about that. :)
-Sun_Tzu-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 -Sun_Tzu-
[QUOTE="-Sun_Tzu-"][QUOTE="GabuEx"][QUOTE="MetalGear_Ninty"]

Frattracide

Exactly. And once people realize that no one is able to buy that neat stuff, the people who make and sell that neat stuff will start complaining. And then we'll have momentum, and it's smooth sailin' from there. 

You act as if I hadn't planned this out perfectly on my napkin from lunch. I'm no amateur.  

zarkon9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#30 zarkon9
Member since 2010 • 767 Posts

in godfather we trust.

Teenaged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#31 Teenaged
Member since 2007 • 31764 Posts
I am all for it, just because some theists refer to this phrase in arguments many times.
Gambler_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Gambler_3

Who are the people who think that it's "wrong" and should be "illegal"?:lol:

I mean I agree it's kinda useless but it's not "wrong".:|

MetalGear_Ninty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 MetalGear_Ninty

GabuEx

The biggest difference I can see is that Rosa Parks did something that was very visible and which required the enforcement of a law that she was fighting against, and that enforcement became a rallying event for all of its opponents. This, though? This is just defacing currency; it doesn't inconvenience anyone and most people will probably not even notice.

Visible? Rosa Park's action was only immediately visible to those people sitting on the bus, whereas this course of action could end up being noticed by thousands.

As for inconveniencing people, the only person that Parks immediately inconvenienced was the person who couldn't get a seat on the bus.

ChiliDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 ChiliDragon
Visible? Rosa Park's action was only immediately visible to those people sitting on the bus, whereas this course of action could end up being noticed by thousands.MetalGear_Ninty
People look at their money? :? Rosa Parks was arrested for refusing to leave her seat in "the colored section" of the bus when the bus driver told her to make way for her betters and go stand in the back, so the white passengers could sit. She refused, there was a scene, the bus driver called the police. If I remember right the bus refused to move until the police had taken her away, so I'm pretty sure more than one person was inconvenienced. Not to mention that The Montgomery Bus Boycott that essentially was the nudge that sent Civil Rights Movement dominos falling, was a direct result of the arrest of Rosa Parks, so... once again we're back to me not thinking it's a very good analogy. :) Writing or drawing on a dollar bill will never have a significant impact on any other person than the one doing it. As protests goes, that is what makes it pointless. Not the action, reason, or sentiment behind it, but the fact that even if it's noticed it's not going to make anyone's life difficult, which means it's going to be very easy to ignore and forget. Signing a petition to have the annual nativity display removed from federal buildings, seems to me like a better use of a pen. If anyone ever writes a petition like that by the way, just keep it from sounding like hate-speech and I'll happily sign it for you. I hate those things--monuments of poor taste if I ever saw one!
MetalGear_Ninty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 MetalGear_Ninty

[QUOTE="MetalGear_Ninty"]Visible? Rosa Park's action was only immediately visible to those people sitting on the bus, whereas this course of action could end up being noticed by thousands.ChiliDragon
People look at their money? :?

Yep

Rosa Parks was arrested for refusing to leave her seat in "the colored section" of the bus when the bus driver told her to make way for her betters and go stand in the back, so the white passengers could sit. She refused, there was a scene, the bus driver called the police. If I remember right the bus refused to move until the police had taken her away, so I'm pretty sure more than one person was inconvenienced. Not to mention that The Montgomery Bus Boycott that essentially was the nudge that sent Civil Rights Movement dominos falling, was a direct result of the arrest of Rosa Parks, so... once again we're back to me not thinking it's a very good analogy. :) ChiliDragon
Argh, but I said 'immediately' visible, and 'immediately' inconvenienced, we have no way of telling the inconvenience that the defacing of currency may cause.

Writing or drawing on a dollar bill will never have a significant impact on any other person than the one doing it. As protests goes, that is what makes it pointless. Not the action, reason, or sentiment behind it, but the fact that even if it's noticed it's not going to make anyone's life difficult, which means it's going to be very easy to ignore and forget. Signing a petition to have the annual nativity display removed from federal buildings, seems to me like a better use of a pen. If anyone ever writes a petition like that by the way, just keep it from sounding like hate-speech and I'll happily sign it for you. I hate those things--monuments of poor taste if I ever saw one!ChiliDragon
Still, we can't forsee the inconvenience that this may cause, due to possible protests etc.

ChiliDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 ChiliDragon
Argh, but I said 'immediately' visible, and 'immediately' inconvenienced, we have no way of telling the inconvenience that the defacing of currency may cause.MetalGear_Ninty
Technically we can predict based on how much it affects use of said currency... and as long as the dollar bill in question remains usable, what possible real inconvenience can this cause? It would need to become wide-spread enough that people begin visible protests against it, before anyone will notice an impact. Kind of like flag burning -- not an act that in itself inconveniences anyone, it's everything surrounding the act that is a nuisance, in other words indirect inconvenience rather than direct. As Gambler pointed out, the government decides what goes on the money they print. Not easily offended Christians who take an empty gesture as a personal attack, but the latter are probably the only ones who would care if someone crossed out the words "in god we trust" on a dollar bill, and I think they are a pretty small minority. A loud one, but small. By all means, if it makes someone feel better about using federal money with the word "god" crossed out, let them. I just don't see the point of doing it, or for that matter of caring that much about it. :)
Frattracide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Frattracide
[QUOTE="Frattracide"][QUOTE="-Sun_Tzu-"][QUOTE="GabuEx"][QUOTE="MetalGear_Ninty"]

-Sun_Tzu-

Exactly. And once people realize that no one is able to buy that neat stuff, the people who make and sell that neat stuff will start complaining. And then we'll have momentum, and it's smooth sailin' from there. 

You act as if I hadn't planned this out perfectly on my napkin from lunch. I'm no amateur.  

Phase 1. Burn Money 

Phase 2. ???

Phase 3. Profit 

GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 GabuEx

Visible? Rosa Park's action was only immediately visible to those people sitting on the bus, whereas this course of action could end up being noticed by thousands.

As for inconveniencing people, the only person that Parks immediately inconvenienced was the person who couldn't get a seat on the bus.

MetalGear_Ninty

Not really; the entire bus had to be stalled while the police were called and Parks was arrested.  And it was a crystal clear example of the oppression that the black community suffered under, the image of a passenger on a bus being arrested for not ceding ground to a white person.  It became a defining moment for the entire black community in its representation of that which must come to an end.

Here, however, I cannot imagine anyone looking at a banknote with "God" crossed off and doing anything other than rolling his or her eyes, if indeed the person even pays any attention to it whatsoever.  And it's not as though an atheist looking at it is suddenly going to feel a deep urge within himself or herself to take some sort of action.

MetalGear_Ninty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 MetalGear_Ninty

[QUOTE="MetalGear_Ninty"]Argh, but I said 'immediately' visible, and 'immediately' inconvenienced, we have no way of telling the inconvenience that the defacing of currency may cause.ChiliDragon
Technically we can predict based on how much it affects use of said currency... and as long as the dollar bill in question remains usable, what possible real inconvenience can this cause? It would need to become wide-spread enough that people begin visible protests against it, before anyone will notice an impact. Kind of like flag burning -- not an act that in itself inconveniences anyone, it's everything surrounding the act that is a nuisance, in other words indirect inconvenience rather than direct. As Gambler pointed out, the government decides what goes on the money they print. Not easily offended Christians who take an empty gesture as a personal attack, but the latter are probably the only ones who would care if someone crossed out the words "in god we trust" on a dollar bill, and I think they are a pretty small minority. A loud one, but small. By all means, if it makes someone feel better about using federal money with the word "god" crossed out, let them. I just don't see the point of doing it, or for that matter of caring that much about it. :)

Well yeah, that's my point the effect is very much indirect rather than direct.

MetalGear_Ninty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 MetalGear_Ninty

GabuEx

Not really; the entire bus had to be stalled while the police were called and Parks was arrested. And it was a crystal clear example of the oppression that the black community suffered under, the image of a passenger on a bus being arrested for not ceding ground to a white person. It became a defining moment for the entire black community in its representation of that which must come to an end.

Here, however, I cannot imagine anyone looking at a banknote with "God" crossed off and doing anything other than rolling his or her eyes, if indeed the person even pays any attention to it whatsoever. And it's not as though an atheist looking at it is suddenly going to feel a deep urge within himself or herself to take some sort of action.

Again no, the effect was much more indirect rather than direct.

You're saying that the crossing out of the word is incapable of conjuring motivation in people -- but if atheists were incapable of being motivated, then nobody would have crossed it out in the first place.

You may roll your eyes, but by no means does that mean that everyone else will.

GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 GabuEx

You're saying that the crossing out of the word is incapable of conjuring motivation in people -- but if atheists were incapable of being motivated, then nobody would have crossed it out in the first place.

MetalGear_Ninty

When Parks got arrested, it was a pivotal example to the black community of just what they were up against: it was something everyone could point to and passionately declare, "This must end."  And anyone who doubted the state of being for the black community had no further illusions after witnessing a black person being arrested simply for the crime of being unwilling to be treated as a second-class citizen behind a white person.

Here, though, what exactly are atheists going to do?  Look at the bill with "God" crossed off, and then suddenly become emboldened to march to Washington to demand that it be removed from the bills?  It's not as though no one is aware of the fact that bills say "In God we trust"; it's been that way for over fifty years now.

MetalGear_Ninty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 MetalGear_Ninty

GabuEx

When Parks got arrested, it was a pivotal example to the black community of just what they were up against: it was something everyone could point to and passionately declare, "This must end." And anyone who doubted the state of being for the black community had no further illusions after witnessing a black person being arrested simply for the crime of being unwilling to be treated as a second-class citizen behind a white person.

Here, though, what exactly are atheists going to do? Look at the bill with "God" crossed off, and then suddenly become emboldened to march to Washington to demand that it be removed from the bills? It's not as though no one is aware of the fact that bills say "In God we trust"; it's been that way for over fifty years now.

Are you trying to say that black people didn't know they were being discriminated against until Rosa Parks sat on a bus?

Also, whilst nowhere near the scale of Blacks in the mid-20th century, there are several examples of atheists in the US being discriminated against.

GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 GabuEx

Are you trying to say that black people didn't know they were being discriminated against until Rosa Parks sat on a bus?MetalGear_Ninty

I am trying to say precisely what I said: that Parks' arrest was both a summation of what the stakes were for anyone already aware and an example to convince anyone else (for example, sympathetic white people) just how bad it was.  Which... is true.

Also, whilst nowhere near the scale of Blacks in the mid-20th century, there are several examples of atheists in the US being discriminated against.MetalGear_Ninty

I really don't think that atheists are going to get many non-atheists to agree with them that the presence of "In God we trust" on the currency is a form of abominable discrimination that all people have a moral obligation to fight against (which is exactly what happened in the wake of events such as Rosa Parks' arrest).

Mtngranek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#44 Mtngranek
Member since 2009 • 403 Posts

Did you know that In God We Trust first appeared on a 2 cent coin in 1864? It first appeared on the dollar bill in 1957, on the 1935-G series bill.

As for wether or not it should be removed; I do not think it should be removed. Wether or not I believe in god does not have an impact on history. Our money has had the motto on it since those dates, so why should we take it off? History should not be changed, no matter how much you don't agree with it. It would be just as bad as when the USPS censored the Jackson Pollack stamp by removing the cigarette from his mouth.

-Sun_Tzu-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 -Sun_Tzu-

Did you know that In God We Trust first appeared on a 2 cent coin in 1864? It first appeared on the dollar bill in 1957, on the 1935-G series bill.

Mtngranek

The U.S. had a 2 cent coin?? 

ChiliDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 ChiliDragon
[QUOTE="Mtngranek"]

-Sun_Tzu-

The U.S. had a 2 cent coin?? 

Maybe that's what inspired the $2 bill?
Elraptor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Elraptor
Member since 2004 • 30966 Posts
Money is very important in American society; thus I support associating it with god.
ChiliDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 ChiliDragon
Money is very important in American society; thus I support associating it with god.Elraptor
I thought we weren't supposed to do that? :p
GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 GabuEx

[QUOTE="Elraptor"]Money is very important in American society; thus I support associating it with god.ChiliDragon

Yes, but then we wouldn't have a point of irony capable of rivaling this picture of people praying for an economic turnaround.

Elraptor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Elraptor
Member since 2004 • 30966 Posts

[QUOTE="ChiliDragon"][QUOTE="Elraptor"]Money is very important in American society; thus I support associating it with god.GabuEx

Yes, but then we wouldn't have a point of irony capable of rivaling this picture of people praying for an economic turnaround.

:lol: Does no one read the Old Testament anymore? What are they teaching in Sunday school these days? Great find, Gabu. *mutters and hobbles away*