SimpJee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 SimpJee
Member since 2002 • 18309 Posts

Atheists, Christians, do you ever have doubts about what you believe (don't believe) is right?

Personally ever since I started calling myself an Atheist, I feel very comfortable and really have no doubts in my non-belief.  I'm not sure if that is a good thing, but it is what it is.  

As a Christian I was constantly asking myself, seriously this stuff being read to me from the Bible is real?  God really did these things?  Do you Christians on this board ever feel the same way? 

Teenaged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#2 Teenaged
Member since 2007 • 31764 Posts

I couldnt have more doubts! :cry:

I have some basic things that I believe are irrefutably (to me) true or false (like I have made my mind about them) but the general picture is as blurry as hell.

inoperativeRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#3 inoperativeRS
Member since 2004 • 8844 Posts
Considering I never really feel comfortable in calling myself anything too precise and sometimes present varying views depending on the person I'm talking to - yes, lots of doubt. I really don't feel I would gain anything by deciding on calling myself only one thing unless I'm really convinced, which I doubt I'll ever be. It's more fun to talk about this stuff when you're in it for the ride and not the purpose of proving your own views to be necessarily the correct ones IMO.
-Sun_Tzu-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 -Sun_Tzu-
Member since 2007 • 17384 Posts
Seeing as how I'm a theological noncognitivist, no, I don't have any doubts.
Cloud_765

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 46

#5 Cloud_765
Member since 2008 • 111406 Posts
I have doubts sometimes. But then I forget my doubts. :D
GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#6 GabuEx
Member since 2006 • 36552 Posts

Constantly.

But it wouldn't be faith if I felt completely sure that I had all the answers.

ChiliDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 ChiliDragon
Member since 2006 • 8444 Posts

Atheists, Christians, do you ever have doubts about what you believe (don't believe) is right?

SimpJee
Of course. Doubt is a perfectly natural part of faith, in fact, I'd argue that a person who claims they never have doubts is either a liar or a person who needs to examine their faith a lot more closely. As I see it, doubts are in fact a way of gaining deeper insight--doubts prompt you to examine your faith more closely, scrutinize it, and hopefully in the end as a result you end up understanding it better. If you never question, you never find new answers. :)
GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 GabuEx
[QUOTE="SimpJee"]

ChiliDragon

Of course. Doubt is a perfectly natural part of faith, in fact, I'd argue that a person who claims they never have doubts is either a liar or a person who needs to examine their faith a lot more closely. As I see it, doubts are in fact a way of gaining deeper insight--doubts prompt you to examine your faith more closely, scrutinize it, and hopefully in the end as a result you end up understanding it better. If you never question, you never find new answers. :)

I endorse this statement wholeheartedly.

Funky_Llama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9 Funky_Llama
Member since 2006 • 18428 Posts
Well, I'm kind of an agnostic; there's not much to doubt when you're a fence-sitter :P
GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 GabuEx

Well, I'm kind of an agnostic; there's not much to doubt when you're a fence-sitter :PFunky_Llama

You could doubt whether the existence of God truly is unknowable. :P

Teenaged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#11 Teenaged
Member since 2007 • 31764 Posts

Well, I'm kind of an agnostic; there's not much to doubt when you're a fence-sitter :PFunky_Llama
I thought being anagnostic is the definition of being in doubt! D:

At least for me....

ChiliDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 ChiliDragon
Member since 2006 • 8444 Posts
I thought an agnostic doubted everything? :P Hm... that might be worthy of its own thread... we'll see if the issue has any real potential :)
domatron23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#13 domatron23
Member since 2007 • 6226 Posts
Sure I have doubt, I'm nowhere near confident enough in my abilities to think that my reasoning is infallible.
Avatar image for deactivated-5a79221380856
deactivated-5a79221380856

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 deactivated-5a79221380856
Member since 2007 • 13125 Posts
I have a tendency to worry about theism too much during a lightning storm. However, I constantly tell myself not to think so foolishly. Lightning's not going to strike me because I'm an atheist any more than it's going to strike Mahmoud Ahmadinejad, a theist.
GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 GabuEx

I have a tendency to worry about theism too much during a lightning storm. However, I constantly tell myself not to think so foolishly. Lightning's not going to strike me because I'm an atheist any more than it's going to strike Mahmoud Ahmadinejad, a theist.Genetic_Code

That doesn't exactly sound like you're 100% convinced that no god exists, then. :P

Avatar image for deactivated-5a79221380856
deactivated-5a79221380856

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 deactivated-5a79221380856
Member since 2007 • 13125 Posts

That doesn't exactly sound like you're 100% convinced that no god exists, then. :P

GabuEx

No, no it doesn't. If it weren't for my fear of lightning though, it wouldn't be a rough approximation. 

Funky_Llama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Funky_Llama

[QUOTE="Funky_Llama"]Well, I'm kind of an agnostic; there's not much to doubt when you're a fence-sitter :PGabuEx

Well, I think that for all I know there could be proof of God's existence as-yet undiscovered. :P
Funky_Llama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Funky_Llama

[QUOTE="Funky_Llama"]Well, I'm kind of an agnostic; there's not much to doubt when you're a fence-sitter :PTeenaged

I thought being anagnostic is the definition of being in doubt! D:

At least for me....

I don't doubt my doubt :P
GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 GabuEx
[QUOTE="GabuEx"]

[QUOTE="Funky_Llama"]Well, I'm kind of an agnostic; there's not much to doubt when you're a fence-sitter :PFunky_Llama

Well, I think that for all I know there could be proof of God's existence as-yet undiscovered. :P

Well there you go, you have doubts! :P

BumFluff122

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 BumFluff122
Member since 2004 • 14853 Posts
I think if you don't have doubts then you haven't thought things through. Everyone has doubts now and then.
mindstorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 mindstorm
Member since 2003 • 15255 Posts

As I plan to spend the rest of my life working within the church, I'd hate to make a mistake and it all be in vain.  I wouldn't define what I go through as doubt, but I do question my beliefs in an effort to find out whether I'm following the truth.  I believe I have found the truth in Christ, but I still am always "double checking."  There most definitely are times I wonder whether I'm truly going in the right direction in life, but I always have the same conclusion - the Bible being true.

MrPraline

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 MrPraline
Member since 2008 • 21351 Posts

SimpJee
Not since I became an atheist.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#23 123625
Member since 2006 • 9035 Posts
Yes, It lead me away from Creationism and more towards philosophy, historicity of the bible and etc.
Slickace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Slickace
Member since 2007 • 29 Posts
I have doubts because there are thousands of other religions out there and no matter what one I pick there is always a risk that i am wrong, and that an other religion got it right. But i put my chances on atheism and it seems pretty right to me :P
danwallacefan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 danwallacefan
Member since 2008 • 2413 Posts

Personally ever since I started calling myself an Atheist, I feel very comfortable and really have no doubts in my non-belief.  I'm not sure if that is a good thing, but it is what it is.  

As a Christian I was constantly asking myself, seriously this stuff being read to me from the Bible is real?  God really did these things?  Do you Christians on this board ever feel the same way? 

SimpJee
My theory of warranted Christian belief precludes my doubts
Bourbons3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#26 Bourbons3
Member since 2003 • 24238 Posts
I don't have many doubts. Certainly not enough to class me as agnostic rather than atheistic.
_Tobli_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 _Tobli_
Member since 2007 • 5733 Posts
Well i don't hold any unreasonable certainty in my position, and i don't really care either way. So i don't see any reason to doubt it unless i see some evidence.
Dr_AlanGrant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Dr_AlanGrant
Member since 2009 • 83 Posts
I don't know if I have many doubts anymore. I mean, there are times where I do but it's not very often. Although, I don't think I'll ever completely stop doubting because I'll never know for sure.
Uxal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Uxal
Member since 2007 • 593 Posts
Nope. I am open to new arguments as usual.
Avatar image for chessmaster1989
chessmaster1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#31 chessmaster1989
Member since 2008 • 30203 Posts
I'm an atheist, and hardly a day goes by when I think about whether or not I'm wrong. There are a few things I have made up my mind about and would not change except in the face of strong evidence to the contrary, including that body-mind dualism is false and that evolution is fact.
domatron23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 domatron23
I'm an atheist, and hardly a day goes by when I think about whether or not I'm wrong. There are a few things I have made up my mind about and would not change except in the face of strong evidence to the contrary, including that body-mind dualism is false and that evolution is fact.chessmaster1989
You should check out this thread where me and danwallacefan argue about determinism and dualism. He gives some pretty good arguments there that you might want to consider before you make up your mind abdout the mind/boy debate.
chessmaster1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 chessmaster1989

[QUOTE="chessmaster1989"]I'm an atheist, and hardly a day goes by when I think about whether or not I'm wrong. There are a few things I have made up my mind about and would not change except in the face of strong evidence to the contrary, including that body-mind dualism is false and that evolution is fact.domatron23
You should check out this thread where me and danwallacefan argue about determinism and dualism. He gives some pretty good arguments there that you might want to consider before you make up your mind abdout the mind/boy debate.

I've seen dan's arguments before, and didn't find them convincing. I've been thinking about creating a blog post arguing against body-mind dualism, though.

In any case, I'm no longer responding to or acknowledging danwallacefan, as he has, on multiple occassions, been rude to and directly insulted me.

domatron23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 domatron23

[QUOTE="domatron23"][QUOTE="chessmaster1989"]I'm an atheist, and hardly a day goes by when I think about whether or not I'm wrong. There are a few things I have made up my mind about and would not change except in the face of strong evidence to the contrary, including that body-mind dualism is false and that evolution is fact.chessmaster1989

I've seen dan's arguments before, and didn't find them convincing. I've been thinking about creating a blog post arguing against body-mind dualism, though.

In any case, I'm no longer responding to or acknowledging danwallacefan, as he has, on multiple occassions, been rude to and directly insulted me.

Ah that sucks. Feel free to post your mind/body stuff here as well, I did a uni course a while ago that looked at the issue so I might be able to tell you if your arguments are any good.

chessmaster1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 chessmaster1989
[QUOTE="chessmaster1989"]

[QUOTE="domatron23"][QUOTE="chessmaster1989"]I'm an atheist, and hardly a day goes by when I think about whether or not I'm wrong. There are a few things I have made up my mind about and would not change except in the face of strong evidence to the contrary, including that body-mind dualism is false and that evolution is fact.domatron23

Ah that sucks. Feel free to post your mind/body stuff here as well, I did a uni course a while ago that looked at the issue so I might be able to tell you if your arguments are any good.

It doesn't suck in the slightest. He was a user I did not enjoy engaging in conversations with because of his negative attitude and personal insults directed at me, so I quit talking with him. I have better things to do than be insulted on an Internet forum. Besides that, I never found his posts to be particularly interesting or informative.

danwallacefan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 danwallacefan
Member since 2008 • 2413 Posts
[QUOTE="domatron23"][QUOTE="chessmaster1989"]

[QUOTE="domatron23"][QUOTE="chessmaster1989"]I'm an atheist, and hardly a day goes by when I think about whether or not I'm wrong. There are a few things I have made up my mind about and would not change except in the face of strong evidence to the contrary, including that body-mind dualism is false and that evolution is fact.chessmaster1989

It doesn't suck in the slightest. He was a user I did not enjoy engaging in conversations with because of his negative attitude and personal insults directed at me, so I quit talking with him. I have better things to do than be insulted on an Internet forum. Besides that, I never found his posts to be particularly interesting or informative.

EDIT from domatron23: dan lulzworthy as your post may be it isn't needed.

btaylor2404

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#37 btaylor2404
Member since 2003 • 11353 Posts
No.  I'll listen to other's ideas and beliefs but I really don't have any doubts about my beliefs.
Avatar image for itsTolkien_time
itsTolkien_time

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#38 itsTolkien_time
Member since 2009 • 2295 Posts

As some have said, if you don't doubt, you don't question, and if you don't question, you don't find answers.

I am on of those sitting on the fence agnostics, though I define it as being open to all arguements, rather than not choosing a side.

I know for fact that evolution and natural selection exist, and that I could never take the bible word for word. In this sense I lean toward atheism, but I am open to most points of view, mainstream or not.

Many days can go by where I do not think about or question my beliefs at all, maybe for up to a couple of weeks. Then something reminds me and I start doubting.

If I thought about doubt all the time, life would not be worth living. It's just no fun.

twilightpanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 twilightpanda
Member since 2008 • 10607 Posts
hmm..... i do not believe in god.....but i do acknowledge the fact that god could exist since there is no proof against or for his existance
dracula_16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#40 dracula_16
Member since 2005 • 15997 Posts
Of course. None of which keep me up all night, but they still occur.