Does the Christian Bible teach that humans are totally depraved?

• 117 results
Teenaged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#51 Teenaged
Member since 2007 • 31764 Posts
I can't sugarcoat it.

GabuEx

I wouldnt even try.

Seriously, TULIP left me speechless.

>_>

Avatar image for MetalGear_Ninty
MetalGear_Ninty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#52 MetalGear_Ninty
Member since 2008 • 6337 Posts

I think I need to go and calm down a bit after reading about Calvinism. That's some pretty wacky stuff. :|

Funky_Llama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#53 Funky_Llama
Member since 2006 • 18428 Posts
[QUOTE="GabuEx"]I can't sugarcoat it.

Teenaged

I wouldnt even try.

Seriously, TULIP left me speechless.

>_>

Yep, it pretty much paints the Christian God as a sick monster V_V
GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#54 GabuEx
Member since 2006 • 36552 Posts

Yes, that's what I'm getting at (not that I accept there really is a translation error, I was talking in a hypothetical sense). And that is what GabuEx is suggesting -- that God would allow his word to bring about the conviction of a lie.

Lansdowne5

Well one way or another, someone is wrong: either I and everyone else who believes (or believed) the Bible teaches universal reconciliation are wrong, or those who believe the Bible teaches eternal torment is wrong.  So someone in here God is allowing to use his word to lie.

Given that I do not believe it took Christians five hundred years and a translation into Latin before figuring out what the Bible really says (which is a position that any supporter of eternal torment would have to take), my position on who is wrong ought to be evident.

This is something I've always found strange, really: supposedly the entire reason why God can't save everyone is due to the idea that God can't subvert free will, yet we're told that God would somehow intervene to make sure that every single person doing anything with his Word does not interpret or treat it falsely?  And often the same people who say this are also the ones claiming that every single Bible that came after the King James Version is corrupted.  And how does one possibly reconcile this idea with the fact that so many people who are all diligently doing their best to interpret his Word come to such disparate conclusions?

This really just seems an awful lot more like an ad hoc attempt to reconcile a contradiction without yielding any portion of one's position rather than an actually intellectually coherent explanation.

In Gabus interpretation, God makes people worship him out of fear of eternal damnation which makes him no better than a tyrantThessassin

Wait, what?  I have tirelessly argued against the idea that eternal damnation exists.

ChiliDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#55 ChiliDragon
Member since 2006 • 8444 Posts
TULIP is an acronym that summarizes the five key points of Calvinism:GabuEx
Aaaaahhhh! Okay, I know that one. Thanks for clarifying anyway, I appreciate it. :)
The idea that God specifically chooses who will and will not be saved (totally arbitrarily, no less, given the "U") and that he preordained at the beginning of creation that most of his children will suffer forever in hell is just sick; I can't sugarcoat it.GabuEx
Don't bother, no amount of sugar can sweeten that notion. The Llama is right, it makes the Christian God out to be a sick monster. Which of course is why I'm not a Calvinist; I refuse to agree with a doctrine that thinks that way. ;)
Avatar image for itsTolkien_time
itsTolkien_time

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#56 itsTolkien_time
Member since 2009 • 2295 Posts

No matter how much I think that you people quoting from the bible for your arguements is great, and I would love to do it, I am too lazy to go get one now, and I am not studied enough to be able to reference it quickly anyhow.

Maybe later, ...way later. :)

domatron23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 domatron23
Member since 2007 • 6226 Posts

No matter how much I think that you people quoting from the bible for your arguements is great, and I would love to do it, I am too lazy to go get one now, and I am not studied enough to be able to reference it quickly anyhow.

Maybe later, ...way later. :)

itsTolkien_time

Yeah I'm pretty much in the same camp. I'm nowhere near educted enough about the bible to go ahead and cite bible verses competently in support of an argument.

Oh and for everyone complaining about how despicable Calvinism is I have heard that there is a distinction between regular Calvinism and what is termed "hyper-Calvinism". So before you go and discount it be aware that there is a lighter version of it that might notbe so bad (I say might because I don't know anything about the distinction, only that it exists).

ChiliDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 ChiliDragon
Oh and for everyone complaining about how despicable Calvinism is I have heard that there is a distinction between regular Calvinism and what is termed "hyper-Calvinism". So before you go and discount it be aware that there is a lighter version of it that might not be so bad (I say might because I don't know anything about the distinction, only that it exists).domatron23
Of course, there are extremes in both direction in every branch of Christianity as well as within Christianity itself. That said, the list Gabu posted, TULIP, is the cornerstone and foundation for Calvinism, and what sets it apart from other protestant branches like Lutherans, Baptists, Methodists, Anglicans, Adventists, and all the others. All of these are Protestant Christian churches, the main differences between them is in how they believe that people are saved, how to live a Christian life, and how to interpret certain critical parts of the Christian doctrine. Hyper-Calvinism by the way believes, if I remember right, that everything is predetermined, in other words that some of us are predestined to go to hell and others are not, and that there is nothing that can ever change our destiny. God selects those who will be saved and takes them to him and then quite literally it is to Hell with the rest. Despite this, it is the duty of all to trust in God for his/her salvation, since none of us can know which group we belong to, and to not trust is a sure way to be moved from the small group of saved souls to the much bigger one that is damned for all eternity. It's a very rare form of Calvinism and not very commonly practiced today. I memory serves, the biggest differences between various branches of Calvinism is in how limited they believe the Limited Atonement is, and how set in stone. Note to any Calvinist reading this, I don't mean any offense with my nonchalant descriptions. I describe my own faith the same way. :)
GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 GabuEx

Actually, the difference as I understand it between hyper-Calvinism and garden variety Calvinism is that the former believes so strongly that humans are totally depraved and that it is only through God's election that any human is saved that they deny the requirement that humans must repent of their sins and believe in Christ, as they deny any human capacity for any spiritual good whatsoever. The idea that humans cannot save themselves and that they must be chosen by God to be saved is fundamental to Calvinism as a whole.

There are certainly people out there who profess adherence to Calvinism and then assert that, even so, all humans have a choice (as Mr. Holding here appears to do), but such people are really just paying lip service to Calvinism while actually adhering to Arminianism.

Avatar image for MatrixSamurai27
MatrixSamurai27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 MatrixSamurai27
Member since 2003 • 198 Posts

Then what is the purpose of stating that we are unable of ourselves to turn to Christ?  If all are able, then this seems like a strange thing to say.  Whenever I have heard this statement, it was implied that not all were preordained by God to receive this ability. GabuEx

The purpose is to show that this is something Scripture teaches. It also helps us to have humility because it helps us see how dependent on God we are. 

You need support for the idea that most people will not become Christian in their lifetime?  Just look at the statistics - only a third of the world professes adherence to Christianity, and I'm sure that many of those people are ones that some Christians would declare unsaved. GabuEx

Yes, but people can change their religion after that, and I also hold that people don't absolutely have to hear the Gospel to be saved.

And now that I have read the article I will make a smart-ass comment about quote mining: The writer of that article fishes his quotes completely out of context though to his credit he admits it. For nearly every passage he quotes, if one was to open a Bible and read the entire chapter or paragraph that verse comes from, the final end message becomes one that does not fully support the idea of total depravity. The writer even says so himself in his conclusion:ChiliDragon

He wasn't trying to prove the doctrine. He was analyzing the TULIP to see if it's true. He can't be accused of quote mining. Anyway, I'm not a calvinist, but I do think the T doctrine speaks the truth about us in our most basic state. Also, even after God gives the grace we need to have the ability to freely choose him, I still think points 1-3 apply to a certain degree. This is important for the purposes of humility. Finally, you now need to explain why John 6 doesn't teach that we can't choose God on our own.

GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 GabuEx

Anyway, I'm not a calvinist, but I do think the T doctrine speaks the truth about us in our most basic state. Also, even after God gives the grace we need to have the ability to freely choose him, I still think points 1-3 apply to a certain degree.MatrixSamurai27

But this is what I've been saying: you say that you think total depravity is true, yet you say that we have the ability to freely choose God. I mean no offense, but that's just plainly not total depravity once you allow that all humans have the ability to choose God - you're basically taking what you think is true and calling it total depravity.

ChiliDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 ChiliDragon
Actually, the difference as I understand it between hyper-Calvinism and garden variety Calvinism is that the former believes so strongly that humans are totally depraved and that it is only through God's election that any human is saved that they deny the requirement that humans must repent of their sins and believe in Christ, as they deny any human capacity for any spiritual good whatsoever. The idea that humans cannot save themselves and that they must be chosen by God to be saved is fundamental to Calvinism as a whole.GabuEx
That sounds a lot more correct... and I admit I was quoting form ancient memory. It's been a long time since I studied the other Protestant doctrines. Heretics, the lot of them! :x :P :P :D
[QUOTE="ChiliDragon"]And now that I have read the article I will make a smart-ass comment about quote mining: The writer of that article fishes his quotes completely out of context though to his credit he admits it. For nearly every passage he quotes, if one was to open a Bible and read the entire chapter or paragraph that verse comes from, the final end message becomes one that does not fully support the idea of total depravity. The writer even says so himself in his conclusion:MatrixSamurai27
He wasn't trying to prove the doctrine. He was analyzing the TULIP to see if it's true. He can't be accused of quote mining. Anyway, I'm not a calvinist, but I do think the T doctrine speaks the truth about us in our most basic state. Also, even after God gives the grace we need to have the ability to freely choose him, I still think points 1-3 apply to a certain degree. This is important for the purposes of humility. Finally, you now need to explain why John 6 doesn't teach that we can't choose God on our own.

He might not have been trying to prove it,but I thought you were? And if you were, this was not a good article to use... especially if the author of it ended up taking several arguments in favor of total depravity apart, and then ended up by saying that "all these arguments are, as you can see, not good arguments, but the doctrine is still true". And I am confused again. You believe T is completely true, we are completely depraved. As a part of that we are utterly unable to turn towards God without him making us do so. If we were, the depravity would not be total. So in other words, if God loves all of mankind he will need to reach out and make every single person out there turn towards him, or we have reason to question the depth and commitment of that love. After all, true love does not chose not to save some of the loved ones. True love saves everyone. God loved the world so much, and so on and so forth. It doesn't say that he loved only a part of it. And all of a sudden we are back to the universal redemption of everyone, the doctrine that TULIP disagrees with. I am at work right now, my Bible is not, so I will have to get back to you about John 6 later tonight, after dinner. I seem to recall Christ saying something about unbelievers who did good deeds in his name and for his glory without even realizing it, and as a result they are saved. That goes right against point 3. Again, my Bible is at home and I am supposed to be working, so I can't type for any longer... I'll get back to you about chapters and verses later, and especially about that second part. :)
GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 GabuEx

I am at work right now, my Bible is not, so I will have to get back to you about John 6 later tonight, after dinner.ChiliDragon

BibleGateway is what I use for all my online Bible needs. :P

ChiliDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 ChiliDragon

[QUOTE="ChiliDragon"]I am at work right now, my Bible is not, so I will have to get back to you about John 6 later tonight, after dinner.GabuEx

Same here. However, when I'm at work and there is still work left to be done, work expects me to actually work. Not to do online research on a Bible passage :P That said, about John 6... the main reason I don't think that it's the highest authority on who is saved and who isn't, and how it's done? It's outnumbered. There are countless parables in the gospels, some passages from the Old Testament as well as from the New Testament, especially some of Paul's letters, that over and over hammer in that humans as a species and as individuals are free to make our own decisions. We can choose God, or we can chose something(-one) else, and God patiently waits for us to make up our minds. I would even argue (note that this is my personal opinion and interpretation) that we don't need God's grace to enable us to chose him before we can do so, we have that ability in our human nature already. Because we are not totally depraved. ;)
Frattracide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 Frattracide
Member since 2005 • 5395 Posts
[QUOTE="GabuEx"]

[QUOTE="ChiliDragon"]I am at work right now, my Bible is not, so I will have to get back to you about John 6 later tonight, after dinner.ChiliDragon

Same here. However, when I'm at work and there is still work left to be done, work expects me to actually work. Not to do online research on a Bible passage :P That said, about John 6... the main reason I don't think that it's the highest authority on who is saved and who isn't, and how it's done? It's outnumbered. There are countless parables in the gospels, some passages from the Old Testament as well as from the New Testament, especially some of Paul's letters, that over and over hammer in that humans as a species and as individuals are free to make our own decisions. We can choose God, or we can chose something(-one) else, and God patiently waits for us to make up our minds. I would even argue (note that this is my personal opinion and interpretation) that we don't need God's grace to enable us to chose him before we can do so, we have that ability in our human nature already. Because we are not totally depraved. ;)

What about Romans 9?

ChiliDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 ChiliDragon

What about Romans 9?

Frattracide
What about it?
MatrixSamurai27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 MatrixSamurai27

But this is what I've been saying: you say that you think total depravity is true, yet you say that we have the ability to freely choose God. I mean no offense, but that's just plainly not total depravity once you allow that all humans have the ability to choose God - you're basically taking what you think is true and calling it total depravity.GabuEx

Okay look. Calvinists, Arminians, and Molinists like myself all believe you need God's grace before you can choose him. Calvinists say the grace is only given to some and is irresistible. Arminians and Molinists, however, say it is given to all based on John 12 and is resistible. This is all I'm trying to say. Calvinists don't have a monoply on the doctrine.

And I am confused again. You believe T is completely true, we are completely depraved. As a part of that we are utterly unable to turn towards God without him making us do so. If we were, the depravity would not be total.ChiliDragon

Answer to this above.

That said, about John 6... the main reason I don't think that it's the highest authority on who is saved and who isn't, and how it's done? It's outnumbered. There are countless parables in the gospels, some passages from the Old Testament as well as from the New Testament, especially some of Paul's letters, that over and over hammer in that humans as a species and as individuals are free to make our own decisions. We can choose God, or we can chose something(-one) else, and God patiently waits for us to make up our minds. I would even argue (note that this is my personal opinion and interpretation) that we don't need God's grace to enable us to chose him before we can do so, we have that ability in our human nature already. Because we are not totally depraved. ;)ChiliDragon

Well if we're not totally depraved, we would expect a lot of verses emphasizing that we have a choice. However, if we are, but if the ball is thrown back into our court so to speak per the John 12 passage, then we would also expect a lot of verses emphasizing that we have a choice. Thus, your argument does nothing to disprove my interpretation of the John 6 passage.
itsTolkien_time

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 itsTolkien_time
@ChiliDragon ~ You have time to use Gamespot at work, but not to go to a bible website? :P
domatron23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 domatron23
I found this on the CWU and thought it was lulzworthy enough to post in this thread. Reminds me of Peter Jackson's Lord of the Rings movies.
Teenaged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 Teenaged

I found this on the CWU and thought it was lulzworthy enough to post in this thread. domatron23
Why? Why?Why?Why?Whyyyyy did I have to watch this, why? :cry:

You know I am allergic to stupidity! Why? :cry:

In God's name why? :why:

Seriously now what was this insurpassably moronic thing? :|

Also....

Reminds me of Peter Jackson's Lord of the Rings movies.domatron23

Dont you dare... :x  !

Funky_Llama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 Funky_Llama
I found this on the CWU and thought it was lulzworthy enough to post in this thread. Reminds me of Peter Jackson's Lord of the Rings movies.domatron23
I feel like I just got punched in the face by Jesus. :/
ChiliDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 ChiliDragon
@ChiliDragon ~ You have time to use Gamespot at work, but not to go to a bible website? :PitsTolkien_time
I have time to do both. What I don't have time to do is to set aside an hour or so for composing a post that actually requires me to think and to do some additional research before posting. ;) Which means my next reply to the whole John 12 among other things, will be coming along some time tonight.
Teenaged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 Teenaged
PS: Whoever made that youtube vid, they misspelt "citadel" as "citdael"..... teehee
ChiliDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 ChiliDragon
Which means my next reply to the whole John 12 among other things, will be coming along some time tonight. ChiliDragon
That reminds me, MatrixSamurai, any specific verse in that chapter? I assume the last section of it, of course, but if there's a particular verse you have in mind, let me know. :)
_Tobli_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 _Tobli_
Member since 2007 • 5733 Posts

I found this on the CWU and thought it was lulzworthy enough to post in this thread. Reminds me of Peter Jackson's Lord of the Rings movies.domatron23

Reactions in sequence: 

1. LMAO

2. Eww

3. Everyone knows that there is a god obviously, duh! :roll:

4. I'm not a christian, yay!

5. Booring

Funky_Llama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 Funky_Llama

Heh, just found the thread it was from.

'I wonder what the response to that would be on some other unions.'

'I can hear it now, "He's one of those judgmental, mean-spirited preachers." When in truth he is a very loving pastor who loves his people enuogh to tell them the truth.'

'Or, "He's preaching fire and brimstone and driving non-believers further away from God." '

Not quite. >_>

Teenaged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 Teenaged

[QUOTE="domatron23"]I found this on the CWU and thought it was lulzworthy enough to post in this thread. Reminds me of Peter Jackson's Lord of the Rings movies.Funky_Llama

'I can hear it now, "He's one of those judgmental, mean-spirited preachers." When in truth he is a very loving pastor who loves his people enuogh to tell them the truth.'

'Or, "He's preaching fire and brimstone and driving non-believers further away from God." '

Not quite. >_>

Well I would use harsher wording than THEY expect (or than I have already used) but I wont because its not worth it.
MatrixSamurai27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 MatrixSamurai27

[QUOTE="ChiliDragon"]Which means my next reply to the whole John 12 among other things, will be coming along some time tonight. ChiliDragon
That reminds me, MatrixSamurai, any specific verse in that chapter? I assume the last section of it, of course, but if there's a particular verse you have in mind, let me know. :)

I mentioned it earlier. Verse 32. It's also mentioned and explained in depth in the Tektonics article I cited.

ChiliDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 ChiliDragon

I mentioned it earlier. Verse 32. It's also mentioned and explained in depth in the Tektonics article I cited.

MatrixSamurai27
I only read the article once, and to be honest dismissed most of it as being better at tearing up the arguments in favor of depravity than supporting them. Thanks for reminding me though. :)
Funky_Llama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 Funky_Llama

[QUOTE="Funky_Llama"]

[QUOTE="domatron23"]I found this on the CWU and thought it was lulzworthy enough to post in this thread. Reminds me of Peter Jackson's Lord of the Rings movies.Teenaged

Not quite. >_>

Well I would use harsher wording than THEY expect (or than I have already used) but I wont because its not worth it.

I would too, ordinarily, but this one is so far out there that the only response it gets from me is a mixture of amusement and amazement. :/

And as for blackregiment's comment at the end there, for once I wouldn't say he's driving non-believers further away from God because non-believers and most Christians will simply not listen to this nutter.

Avatar image for bean-with-bacon
bean-with-bacon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81 bean-with-bacon
Member since 2008 • 2134 Posts

Aww, I thought it was a trailer to a rapture movie :(

ChiliDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82 ChiliDragon
Okay, here we go. Sorry for the delay... I spent all of last night preparing and committing insect genocides (insecticide?). I might put up another blog about it. :) Anyways. Sorry again for the delay. Here we go. So the biggest problem with arguing against total depravity is that very few theological scholars spend their time and efforts on trying to tear down doctrines they disagree with. They try to find support for the ones they believe in. I am in a bit of an awkward position though because I don't believe in picking out verses from the Bible to support a certain standpoint or view. It's far too easy to find support for virtually anything in the Bible if you trim the quotes enough; the potential for unintentional quote mining is nearly endless. That said, there are a few passages I like, that seem to speak against the notion that we are created completely depraved and lost forever. (Or born, if you prefer that term). The first one is Romans 3:22-24, "There is no difference, for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God, and are justified freely by his grace through the redemption that came by Christ Jesus." Another is 1 Thess 4:7-8, "God did not call us to be impure, but to live a holy life. Therefore, he who rejects this instruction does not reject man but God, who gives you his Holy Spirit.", and Eph 5:5-6, "No immoral, impure or greedy person-such a man is an idolater-has any inheritance in the kingdom of Christ and of God. Let no one deceive you with empty words, for because of such things God's wrath comes on those who are disobedient." "All have sinned", "reject", "disobedient" imply that it was a choice of the people mentioned to commit sins, disobey, et cetera. It wasn't an unavoidable part of their nature, the potential for it was there, but that's just potential. A bottle of hair spray is flammable, but that doesn't automatically mean that ever hair spray bottle in existence automatically explodes. And then there is Luke 11:9-10, "So I say to you: Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you. For everyone who asks receives; he who seeks finds; and to him who knocks, the door will be opened." Slightly rephrased in Matt 7:7-8, "Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you. For everyone who asks receives; he who seeks finds; and to him who knocks, the door will be opened." That in turn implies that there is an active decision on the person's part to knock on the door, not that they are made to do so. As for John 12:32, that depends on whether the word "draw" means it draws them the way a magnet draws metal (irresistible and over-powering) or if it draws the way the sun draws my houseplants to it... they actively turn towards the light. I did note in the article that the greek word used refers to the former, but then the next question becomes, is that the word used in all other verses with a seemingly similar meaning? I think the bottom line is, that there is support in the Bible for both doctrines, and we see evidence for the one we want to believe in. I still maintain that God would not love all humans if all humans were born/created completely depraved, but that we can become that way if we make the wrong choices in life.
itsTolkien_time

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83 itsTolkien_time

WHOAH!!! WHAT THE...!!!!!!  That woke me up, I'm not tired anymore!

Talk about wierd.

Frattracide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84 Frattracide

Okay, here we go. Sorry for the delay... I spent all of last night preparing and committing insect genocides (insecticide?). I might put up another blog about it. :) Anyways. Sorry again for the delay. Here we go. So the biggest problem with arguing against total depravity is that very few theological scholars spend their time and efforts on trying to tear down doctrines they disagree with. They try to find support for the ones they believe in. I am in a bit of an awkward position though because I don't believe in picking out verses from the Bible to support a certain standpoint or view. It's far too easy to find support for virtually anything in the Bible if you trim the quotes enough; the potential for unintentional quote mining is nearly endless. That said, there are a few passages I like, that seem to speak against the notion that we are created completely depraved and lost forever. (Or born, if you prefer that term). The first one is Romans 3:22-24, "There is no difference, for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God, and are justified freely by his grace through the redemption that came by Christ Jesus." Another is 1 Thess 4:7-8, "God did not call us to be impure, but to live a holy life. Therefore, he who rejects this instruction does not reject man but God, who gives you his Holy Spirit.", and Eph 5:5-6, "No immoral, impure or greedy person-such a man is an idolater-has any inheritance in the kingdom of Christ and of God. Let no one deceive you with empty words, for because of such things God's wrath comes on those who are disobedient." "All have sinned", "reject", "disobedient" imply that it was a choice of the people mentioned to commit sins, disobey, et cetera. It wasn't an unavoidable part of their nature, the potential for it was there, but that's just potential. A bottle of hair spray is flammable, but that doesn't automatically mean that ever hair spray bottle in existence automatically explodes. And then there is Luke 11:9-10, "So I say to you: Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you. For everyone who asks receives; he who seeks finds; and to him who knocks, the door will be opened." Slightly rephrased in Matt 7:7-8, "Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you. For everyone who asks receives; he who seeks finds; and to him who knocks, the door will be opened." That in turn implies that there is an active decision on the person's part to knock on the door, not that they are made to do so. As for John 12:32, that depends on whether the word "draw" means it draws them the way a magnet draws metal (irresistible and over-powering) or if it draws the way the sun draws my houseplants to it... they actively turn towards the light. I did note in the article that the greek word used refers to the former, but then the next question becomes, is that the word used in all other verses with a seemingly similar meaning? I think the bottom line is, that there is support in the Bible for both doctrines, and we see evidence for the one we want to believe in. I still maintain that God would not love all humans if all humans were born/created completely depraved, but that we can become that way if we make the wrong choices in life.ChiliDragon

what about Romans Chapter 9? 0_o

ChiliDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85 ChiliDragon

Frattracide
The first part of Paul's long argument for why being a son of Israel ultimately means nothing? As I seem to recall it carries over into chapter ten, where he makes his final point: As the Scripture says, "Anyone who trusts in him will never be put to shame." For there is no difference between Jew and Gentile-the same Lord is Lord of all and richly blesses all who call on him, for, "Everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved." Verses 11-13, according to BIbleGateway's NIV.
Frattracide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86 Frattracide
[QUOTE="Frattracide"]

ChiliDragon

The first part of Paul's long argument for why being a son of Israel ultimately means nothing? As I seem to recall it carries over into chapter ten, where he makes his final point: As the Scripture says, "Anyone who trusts in him will never be put to shame." For there is no difference between Jew and Gentile-the same Lord is Lord of all and richly blesses all who call on him, for, "Everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved." Verses 11-13, according to BIbleGateway's NIV.

I was referring to the part that talks about god specifically choosing certain people for destruction and certain people for salvation.

GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87 GabuEx

I was referring to the part that talks about god specifically choosing certain people for destruction and certain people for salvation.

Frattracide

For the record, you're talking about this, yes?

"For he says to Moses, 'I will have mercy on whom I have mercy, and I will have compassion on whom I have compassion.' It does not, therefore, depend on man's desire or effort, but on God's mercy. For the Scripture says to Pharaoh: 'I raised you up for this very purpose, that I might display my power in you and that my name might be proclaimed in all the earth.' Therefore God has mercy on whom he wants to have mercy, and he hardens whom he wants to harden." (Romans 9:15-18 )

Frattracide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88 Frattracide

For the record, you're talking about this, yes?

"For he says to Moses, 'I will have mercy on whom I have mercy, and I will have compassion on whom I have compassion.' It does not, therefore, depend on man's desire or effort, but on God's mercy. For the Scripture says to Pharaoh: 'I raised you up for this very purpose, that I might display my power in you and that my name might be proclaimed in all the earth.' Therefore God has mercy on whom he wants to have mercy, and he hardens whom he wants to harden." (Romans 9:15-18 )

GabuEx

Yes and this bit too:

Thou wilt say then unto me, Why doth he yet find fault? For who hath resisted his will?
Nay but, O man, who art thou that repliest against God? Shall the thing formed say to him that formed it, Why hast thou made me thus?
Hath not the potter power over the clay, of the same lump to make one vessel unto honour, and another unto dishonour?
What if God, willing to shew his wrath, and to make his power known, endured with much longsuffering the vessels of wrath fitted to destruction:
And that he might make known the riches of his glory on the vessels of mercy, which he had afore prepared unto glory,
Even us, whom he hath called, not of the Jews only, but also of the Gentiles? the KJV

That's Romans 9:19-24

That seems to explicitly state that god, at least in some circumstances, interferes with freewill.

ChiliDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89 ChiliDragon
As I said earlier,
I don't believe in picking out verses from the Bible to support a certain standpoint or view. It's far too easy to find support for virtually anything in the Bible if you trim the quotes enough; the potential for unintentional quote mining is nearly endless.ChiliDragon
If you read the entire passage, the meaning becomes a different one than the ones you inferred from the few verses you picked out. To make an interesting parallel, if we read the US Constitution the same way, it becomes perfectly legal to take the right to vote, own property, and decide for themselves, away from all women in the US. It states that all men are created equal, after all. Not that all humans are.
itsTolkien_time

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90 itsTolkien_time

^ that's why we have amendments, women weren't allowed to own anything when the Constitution was written.

But if you take it literally, they truly don't have many rights stated exactly for them in the Constitution. 

MatrixSamurai27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91 MatrixSamurai27

I am in a bit of an awkward position though because I don't believe in picking out verses from the Bible to support a certain standpoint or view. It's far too easy to find support for virtually anything in the Bible if you trim the quotes enough; the potential for unintentional quote mining is nearly endless.ChiliDragon

So somehow the fact that people wrongly interpret the Bible is a reason for not believing in TD?

"All have sinned", "reject", "disobedient" imply that it was a choice of the people mentioned to commit sins, disobey, et cetera. It wasn't an unavoidable part of their nature, the potential for it was there, but that's just potential. A bottle of hair spray is flammable, but that doesn't automatically mean that ever hair spray bottle in existence automatically explodes.ChiliDragon

It doesn't say so much that it is an avoidable part of our natures but more that we choose evil because we naturally like it. You don't always have to choose something that you like more than something else.

That in turn implies that there is an active decision on the person's part to knock on the door, not that they are made to do so.ChiliDragon

Which is what I said John 12:32 supports. We are able to get to a point where we can freely choose God or not once he gives us grace to overcome our depravity. We don't need more grace to choose him. He gives us just enough to where we can freely choose between competing alternatives. Like I said, resistible, not irresistible.

As for John 12:32, that depends on whether the word "draw" means it draws them the way a magnet draws metal (irresistible and over-powering) or if it draws the way the sun draws my houseplants to it... they actively turn towards the light. I did note in the article that the greek word used refers to the former, but then the next question becomes, is that the word used in all other verses with a seemingly similar meaning? I think the bottom line is, that there is support in the Bible for both doctrines, and we see evidence for the one we want to believe in.ChiliDragon

The author mentions elsewhere that the Greek word behind "draw" can have the meaning of being dragged to prison by some guards, whom you can certainly resist if you want to.

I still maintain that God would not love all humans if all humans were born/created completely depraved, but that we can become that way if we make the wrong choices in life.ChiliDragon

This is where you're disbelief in TD makes God's grace too weak. His grace is so great that it can love the unlovable.

Finally, you haven't even tried to do a contextual anaylsis or anything on the John 6 passage to explain why it can't teach that is impossible for us to choose God without his help.

MatrixSamurai27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92 MatrixSamurai27

Frattracide

Um, Romans 9 is talking about things God elects people to do in history, not his election for their eternal destiny. Besides, in Exodus, God didn't start to harden Pharoahs heart until Pharoah had decided to harden his own heart several times.

GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93 GabuEx

Oh wow.

I couldn't fit it all in one comment, but this is what I was going to post as a comment to that video:

Speaking as a Christian... I can only weep and express empathy for Albert Martin - not out of a false sense of greater piety, but rather out of empathy and sorrow for one of my brothers.  Whatever God one worships, that is how one will be.  If one worships a God of whom one is afraid, then one will preach fear; but if one worships a God whom one loves, then one will preach love.  From the way fear drips from the very core of the message that this preacher gives, one gains great insight into the God whom he worships, and it is, plainly and simply, not the God who is love (1 John 4:16) nor the God whose anger lasts but a moment (Psalm 30:5).

"There is no fear in love." (1 John 4:18 )

I do not say this out of concern for Albert Martin's eternal destiny - in the love that is God I trust always - but rather for the effect that his misguided beliefs in a God not of the Bible have both on himself on others.  If one preaches fear, one will be afraid; if one preaches wrath, one will be wrathful; if one preaches judgment, one will be judgmental; and if one preaches torment, one will be tormented.  And if one is afraid, if one is wrathful, if one is judgmental, if one is tormented, then one cannot know the true face of God and the immense peace and joy that accompanies that knowledge.

EDIT: I'm probably gonna regret this... :P  I've decided to go to town in the comments section of that video.

domatron23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94 domatron23

EDIT: I'm probably gonna regret this... :P  I've decided to go to town in the comments section of that video.

GabuEx

Hah, I had a read of that. Very entertaining.

Teenaged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95 Teenaged
[QUOTE="GabuEx"]

domatron23

The responses he received are utterly infuriating....

GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96 GabuEx
[QUOTE="domatron23"][QUOTE="GabuEx"]

EDIT: I'm probably gonna regret this... :P I've decided to go to town in the comments section of that video.

Teenaged

Eh, I find it more sad than anything else. It's basically what I said: if one preaches fear, then one cannot help but be afraid - the Bible says in no uncertain terms that there will be those who were absolutely sure that they were in God's favor but were actually not. If one then believes that those people are ones who will go to eternal hellfire, then what peace of mind can one possibly find in such a doctrine? Anyone who believes in that doctrine, therefore, has only two options: either live a life of perpetual fear, or live a life of self-delusion, trying desperately to convince oneself that all those verses speaking of those who are self-assured finding that God thinks otherwise only apply to everyone else.

This is not even to mention questions such as what happens if one's child, parent, or friend dies without being saved. The callous nature of so many Christians never ceases to amaze me, where they seem either not to think about or not to truly care about the fate of all those who they feel went to eternal hellfire - as long as they've got theirs, they're good. But, then, I suppose that's all part and parcel of one who believes that God loves the elect more than they love everyone else (something I have seen asserted many times) - anyone who believes in such a god cannot help but also love some more than others.

Thankfully, that is not what the Christian religion actually preaches. And the sooner someone finds that out, the sooner their spiritual healing can finally begin.

domatron23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97 domatron23
[QUOTE="domatron23"][QUOTE="GabuEx"]

Teenaged

All the more for people who actually understand Greek I imagine.

Teenaged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98 Teenaged
[QUOTE="Teenaged"][QUOTE="domatron23"][QUOTE="GabuEx"]

domatron23

All the more for people who actually understand Greek I imagine.

Even if I didnt understand Greek the responses he got were absolutely frustrating to read with their intransigence and attitude "who are you to change what we have known for 2000 years? Huh???"

mindstorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99 mindstorm
Member since 2003 • 15255 Posts

Apparently I've missed a lot lately by not come here lately. 

As far as the doctrine of Total Depravity goes, I do believe there is such a thing in the following way.  We as human beings were once good but at our fall we became corrupt.  With that curruption it became impossible for us to seek God by our own choice and willpower.  Essentually, we are so corrupt we have no desire within us to seek Christ.

Because of that depravity, the only way our desire can be changed is through the Holy Spirit's power.  At that point our desires change and then we can turly seek Christ.  I do not believe it is possible to seek God without his grace lavished upon us.  I believe everything is done in the order of Romans 8:30, "And those he predestined, he also called; those he called, he also justified; those he justified, he also glorified."  I can explain it this way, we have default nature which is against God.  Only through God's Holy Spirit's working can our nature be changed into one that seeks Christ (aka, we are born again, we are spiritually circumsized, etc.).  However, we still are not completely free from sin until we are also given a new body at either death of Christ's return (Romans 7, 1 Corinthains 15).

There are many logical ramifications of this idea, such as Unconditional Election, Limited Atonement (Not saying Jesus did not die for all, all are given the chance to respond to Christ but only those who will be saved are saved), Irresistable Grace, and Perseverence of the Saints.  As you can see, this is Calvinism.  Many think of this as a battle between God's Soveriegnty and man's free will.  However, being the compatablist that I am, I do not believe this and separate the two. 

This topic is most definitely one that has been heavily debated among Christians since the time of Augustine (he believed much of this [assuming I explained it correctly]).  Many have literally fought and died over this doctrine which is extremely sad.  In the end, this is something Christians should not fight over since Calvinists, Armenians, etc. all beleive largely the same things.  In other words, it's all about Christ and only through him can we find salvation (or to the Calvinists, given salvation).  Essentially what we are debating is "simple depravity" vs. total depravity.  I personaly do not see a difference.

Avatar image for RationalAtheist
RationalAtheist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100 RationalAtheist
Member since 2007 • 4428 Posts

Apparently I've missed a lot lately by not come here lately. 

As far as the doctrine of Total Depravity goes, I do believe there is such a thing in the following way.  We as human beings were once good but at our fall we became corrupt.  With that curruption it became impossible for us to seek God by our own choice and willpower.  Essentually, we are so corrupt we have no desire within us to seek Christ.

Because of that depravity, the only way our desire can be changed is through the Holy Spirit's power.  At that point our desires change and then we can turly seek Christ.  I do not believe it is possible to seek God without his grace lavished upon us.  I believe everything is done in the order of Romans 8:30, "And those he predestined, he also called; those he called, he also justified; those he justified, he also glorified."  I can explain it this way, we have default nature which is against God.  Only through God's Holy Spirit's working can our nature be changed into one that seeks Christ (aka, we are born again, we are spiritually circumsized, etc.).  However, we still are not completely free from sin until we are also given a new body at either death of Christ's return (Romans 7, 1 Corinthains 15).

There are many logical ramifications of this idea, such as Unconditional Election, Limited Atonement (Not saying Jesus did not die for all, all are given the chance to respond to Christ but only those who will be saved are saved), Irresistable Grace, and Perseverence of the Saints.  As you can see, this is Calvinism.  Many think of this as a battle between God's Soveriegnty and man's free will.  However, being the compatablist that I am, I do not believe this and separate the two. 

This topic is most definitely one that has been heavily debated among Christians since the time of Augustine (he believed much of this [assuming I explained it correctly]).  Many have literally fought and died over this doctrine which is extremely sad.  In the end, this is something Christians should not fight over since Calvinists, Armenians, etc. all beleive largely the same things.  In other words, it's all about Christ and only through him can we find salvation (or to the Calvinists, given salvation).  Essentially what we are debating is "simple depravity" vs. total depravity.  I personaly do not see a difference.

mindstorm

Are you saying that you have to force yourself to believe in Christ, since you "are corrupt and have no desire to seek him"?

What about 2 John 1:7 to 1:10? Doesn't Romans 13:1 go against this "lavishment of grace" upon us all?

Why would you not be completely free of sin, once you have succumbed to this "grace" or get "spiritually customised", as you say?

When you speak of "logical ramifications", are you talking about inductive logic (or inference)? I can't see how you expect us to make a connection between your list and Calvinism. Perhaps you misunderstand what an entrenched position you place yourself, in assuming we know how these inferred ramifications led you to to your own personal belief.

I think I can agree with you that Christians should not fight each other (or anyone else) over the veracity of their claims to faith.Â