Do you want your partner to share your beliefs?

• 112 results
Avatar image for MetalGear_Ninty
MetalGear_Ninty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#51 MetalGear_Ninty
Member since 2008 • 6337 Posts

As I am more of an agnostic, I would marry someone of any denomonation or belief, as long as I love them and they don't mind if I don't fully commit to their religion.

Who knows if I'll ever find someone like that, I'll probably end up becoming a false convert because I love the person, or marrying an atheist (which I am not sure I want to do).

itsTolkien_time
Well, you've changed your tune. :P
Avatar image for itsTolkien_time
itsTolkien_time

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#52 itsTolkien_time
Member since 2009 • 2295 Posts
pshaaah, don't think I've given up my affiliations with atheism yet ;) This is love and marriage we are talking about in this forum, different subject entirely.
Teenaged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#53 Teenaged
Member since 2007 • 31764 Posts

I'll probably end up becoming a false convert because I love the person, ...itsTolkien_time
I have thought of that possibility too and tbh I dont find it bad at all. If I love that person (and of course his religion is respectful and he in turn as a person and a believer is sensible and moderate) then I would have absolutely no problem to commit myself to his religion even though I would know that I dont have the necessary faith in it. But then again maybe such a gesture will lead me in believing (unconsciously and in time; it may start as something I know I am not fully commited too but it could develope).

After all I believe that many times, conventional gestures of the like, lead people to have faith in a religion, one of them being the need to fit in society and feel a member of a formed group of people with expressed ideas; a sense of coexistance.

Maybe love is one of them.

Lansdowne5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#54 Lansdowne5
Member since 2008 • 6015 Posts

I have thought of that possibility too and tbh I dont find it bad at all. If I love that person (and of course his religion is respectful and he in turn as a person and a believer is sensible and moderate) then I would have absolutely no problem to commit myself to his religion even though I would know that I dont have the necessary faith in it. Teenaged

I'm curious, Teenaged, what's with the masculine pronouns? 

Funky_Llama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 Funky_Llama
Member since 2006 • 18428 Posts

[QUOTE="Teenaged"]

I have thought of that possibility too and tbh I dont find it bad at all. If I love that person (and of course his religion is respectful and he in turn as a person and a believer is sensible and moderate) then I would have absolutely no problem to commit myself to his religion even though I would know that I dont have the necessary faith in it. Lansdowne5

Perhaps it has to do with this new-fangled homosexuality thing I've been hearing about. >_>
ChiliDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#56 ChiliDragon
Member since 2006 • 8444 Posts

After all I believe that many times, conventional gestures of the like, lead people to have faith in a religion, one of them being the need to fit in society and feel a member of a formed group of people with expressed ideas; a sense of coexistance.

Teenaged
Love is co-existence. ;) But lots of converts have actually started out that way. They do not have the personal belief, but the person they love does, and out of love and respect they go with their partner to religious functions and go through the motions. Eventually, the belief is created by the rituals around it. Of course, this also works in the other direction.
domatron23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 domatron23
Member since 2007 • 6226 Posts
[QUOTE="Lansdowne5"]

[QUOTE="Teenaged"]

I have thought of that possibility too and tbh I dont find it bad at all. If I love that person (and of course his religion is respectful and he in turn as a person and a believer is sensible and moderate) then I would have absolutely no problem to commit myself to his religion even though I would know that I dont have the necessary faith in it. Funky_Llama

Perhaps it has to do with this new-fangled homosexuality thing I've been hearing about. >_>

Teenaged is gay?

Awesome, that makes two for this union including Theokhoth.

ChiliDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 ChiliDragon

Teenaged is gay?

domatron23
I'm going to wait with my comment on that until Teenaged himself comments... ;)
domatron23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 domatron23
[QUOTE="domatron23"]

Teenaged is gay?

ChiliDragon

I'm going to wait with my comment on that until Teenaged himself comments... ;)

Aye it could indeed all be a mistake (a Freudian slip perhaps).

GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#61 GabuEx
Member since 2006 • 36552 Posts

domatron23

Actually, Freudian slips aren't so much defined as mistakes, but rather the situation where someone accidentally says what they're really thinking rather than what they intended to say.

ChiliDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 ChiliDragon
[QUOTE="domatron23"]

GabuEx

Actually, Freudian slips aren't so much defined as mistakes, but rather the situation where someone accidentally says what they're really thinking rather than what they intended to say.

A language barrier is far more likely to be the case, if it is a mistake. Pronouns are among the most difficult sets of words to learn and remember. They're nearly as bad as prepositions.
Lansdowne5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 Lansdowne5
Member since 2008 • 6015 Posts
Teenaged answered me via PM (not sure now whether I should have asked though - I didn't think he'd mind). Anyway, I'll leave him to respond in this topic, if he decides to.
MetalGear_Ninty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 MetalGear_Ninty
[QUOTE="domatron23"]

GabuEx

I don't understand how that's not a mistake. :?
Teenaged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 Teenaged
[QUOTE="Teenaged"]

ChiliDragon

Love is co-existence. ;) But lots of converts have actually started out that way. They do not have the personal belief, but the person they love does, and out of love and respect they go with their partner to religious functions and go through the motions. Eventually, the belief is created by the rituals around it. Of course, this also works in the other direction.

Indeed.

I picture this thing as being introduced to that religion through your partner.

Simply put:

You begin to see religion as a part of what your partner is as a person.

And not to see your partner as part of that religion.

I hope that prioritising makes sense.

PS: Any chance this thread gets back on topic? Not very comfortable at the moment.

MetalGear_Ninty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 MetalGear_Ninty
Hmmm, it'd always be best if our beliefs complimented each other, but they don't necessarily have to be the same. If she truly believed that I'd burn in a lake of feiry sulphur (yeah, suck on that 'ph', IUPAC), then I don't think that would gel.
ChiliDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 ChiliDragon
Hmmm, it'd always be best if our beliefs complimented each other, but they don't necessarily have to be the same. If she truly believed that I'd burn in a lake of feiry sulphur (yeah, suck on that 'ph', IUPAC), then I don't think that would gel.MetalGear_Ninty
Based on what i have observed of couples in the past, the time when differences in religion interfere with the couple's relationship is when either one or both of them feel a strong obligation to convert the other, and that the relationship cannot work unless that happens. That's a recipe for disaster.
domatron23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 domatron23

PS: Any chance this thread gets back on topic? Not very comfortable at the moment.

Teenaged

Sorry about that Teenaged we'll drop that line of discussion.

itsTolkien_time

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 itsTolkien_time

haha, I tried not to comment during that portion^ of the discussion.

Exactly what I meant was that I'd be happy with a partner of a different religion, as long as they aren't avid converters (Jehovis Witnesses and the like).

Religion always comes into consideration early in a relationship, so falling in love with a person you know to be against your belief would be difficult, as these would be things you would find out early (usu.).

Teenaged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 Teenaged

Meh now I feel like a stupid "annoyed" person. >_>

Not that big of a deal. I dont like telling you what to do. Go ahead and comment.

Teenaged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 Teenaged

Kids these days with their iPods and their buttsecks. Funky_Llama
:o But you see I am different.

I dont have an iPod.

Funky_Llama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 Funky_Llama
Oh, who the hell mods people for using the word 'buttsecks' V__V
Teenaged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 Teenaged

Oh, who the hell mods people for using the word 'buttsecks' V__VFunky_Llama
What? Sorry to hear that. V_V

I didnt report you.

Funky_Llama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 Funky_Llama

[QUOTE="Funky_Llama"]Oh, who the hell mods people for using the word 'buttsecks' V__VTeenaged

I didnt report you.

Mm, but I can take a good guess at who did :argh:
But I can't say who because then he'll report me for trolling or something. >__>

Teenaged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 Teenaged

[QUOTE="Teenaged"]

[QUOTE="Funky_Llama"]Oh, who the hell mods people for using the word 'buttsecks' V__VFunky_Llama

I didnt report you.

Mm, but I can take a good guess at who did :argh:
But I can't say who because then he'll report me for trolling or something. >__>

Send me a PM. I am bored, therefore curious.

Not that I cant guess but lets conspire behind closed curtains.....

Avatar image for bean-with-bacon
bean-with-bacon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 bean-with-bacon
Member since 2008 • 2134 Posts

Maybe it was actually a Zune fundamentalist! :shock: :shock: :shock:

ChiliDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 ChiliDragon
Any mod out there, I think... since it technically is a violation of the ToU. A better question would be, who would actually take the time and energy to reporting someone for something so minor? It seems like a very childish and vindictive thing to do, to say the least. Now wait, watch, everyone who quotes you is going to get reported too...! :P
Teenaged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 Teenaged

[QUOTE="Funky_Llama"]Oh, who the hell mods people for using the word 'buttsecks' V__Vbean-with-bacon

Maybe it was actually a Zune fundamentalist! :shock: :shock: :shock:

To whoever did this....

....you are a vile, filthy, helpless, hell desrving, wretched son or daughter of Adam! :evil:

PS: Mods dont mod me, I am just mocking the video posted inthe other thread of this union by quoting some of its lunatic statements.

Thanks you for your understanding.

ChiliDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 ChiliDragon
[QUOTE="bean-with-bacon"]Maybe it was actually a Zune fundamentalist! :shock: :shock: :shock:Teenaged
To whoever did this....

....you are a vile, filthy, helpless, hell deserving, wretched son or daughter of Adam! :evil:

Hey! Zune owners are people too! :x
Teenaged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 Teenaged

[QUOTE="Funky_Llama"]Oh, who the hell mods people for using the word 'buttsecks' V__VChiliDragon
Any mod out there, I think... since it technically is a violation of the ToU. A better question would be, who would actually take the time and energy to reporting someone for something so minor? It seems like a very childish and vindictive thing to do, to say the least. Now wait, watch, everyone who quotes you is going to get reported too...! :P

I will disagree.

Mentioning buttsecks is nothing moddable, lest mentioning anything about homosexuality is. :?

The only thing I can guess is that whoever reported it counted on the assumption one would make that I would get annoyed by Funky's comment, which is very cunning I must say (and anti-Christian... ;) ).....

EDIT: The last comment was not directed at you of course Chili.

Teenaged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81 Teenaged
[QUOTE="Teenaged"][QUOTE="bean-with-bacon"]Maybe it was actually a Zune fundamentalist! :shock: :shock: :shock:ChiliDragon
To whoever did this....

....you are a vile, filthy, helpless, hell deserving, wretched son or daughter of Adam! :evil:

1. But they dont see the truth. Which is....

..... ............ .........er, yeah I was saying.... which truth is that Sony is the true answer because its the truth and a truth is a truth if its truthful and there you have a truth! :x

2. I dont care! :x We dont have Zune in Greece, therefore no Zune users! They are non-existent to me! :x

Avatar image for bean-with-bacon
bean-with-bacon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82 bean-with-bacon
Member since 2008 • 2134 Posts
[QUOTE="ChiliDragon"][QUOTE="Teenaged"][QUOTE="bean-with-bacon"]Maybe it was actually a Zune fundamentalist! :shock: :shock: :shock:Teenaged
To whoever did this....

1. But they dont see the truth. Which is....

..... ............ .........er, yeah I was saying.... which truth is that Sony is the true answer because its the truth and a truth is a truth if its truthful and there you have a truth! :x

2. I dont care! :x We dont have Zune in Greece, therefore no Zune users! They are non-existent to me! :x

Nay, the small sect of Cowon is the truth! The magical device which sings to my very soul has revealed it to me! Ipoders will suffer eternally in itunes playing Soulja Boi on endless repeat for they chose the apple, they cannot be saved! Sony and Zune are merely misinterpretations of the holy hymns, but they will be forgiven if they turn in their magical devices at their local holy JB Hi Fi magestore for a magical device of Cowon, for the mere sum of $300 of course, but what a small price to pay for eternal salvation!

Funky_Llama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83 Funky_Llama

[QUOTE="Funky_Llama"]Oh, who the hell mods people for using the word 'buttsecks' V__VChiliDragon

Meh. If they find it offensive, they should filter the word. Almost no one on GS will be offended by it.

Funky_Llama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84 Funky_Llama
[QUOTE="Teenaged"][QUOTE="bean-with-bacon"]Maybe it was actually a Zune fundamentalist! :shock: :shock: :shock:ChiliDragon
To whoever did this....

Hmm, that's pretty debatable. :x
ChiliDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85 ChiliDragon
Nay, the small sect of Cowon is the truth! The magical device which sings to my very soul has revealed it to me! Ipoders will suffer eternally in itunes playing Soulja Boi on endless repeat for they chose the apple, they cannot be saved! Sony and Zune are merely misinterpretations of the holy hymns, but they will be forgiven if they turn in their magical devices at their local holy JB Hi Fi magestore for a magical device of Cowon, for the mere sum of $300 of course, but what a small price to pay for eternal salvation!bean-with-bacon
And who are you to say that your truth is the only universal truth!?! :x Since I am too cheap to spend the $300 it would cost me to get headphones that can actually transfer the musical sound-magic of Cowon to me, I have a Creative Zen Touch (waaaaaarm sound! Purrrrr...!) and a couple of Sansas instead. Headphones are JVC, Skullcandy, or Sony, depending on what I'm doing. I believe in an ecumenical approach to DAPs and phones. :P For further details, see the first link in my sig... ;) @Llama & Teenaged, I think it'll get modded if it's reported because it is a reference to sexual activity. Homosexual or heterosexual, I don't think we're supposed to make those on Gamespot. Of course, someone whose actually a mod would know this better than I do. ;) I don't find it offensive and frankly it is such a tame and inoffensive term, that the only reason I can see for reporting it is to deliberately try to get someone modded, which, once again, I find to be childish and immature behavior.
EDIT: The last comment was not directed at you of course Chili. Teenaged
If course not. I knew that :)
MetalGear_Ninty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87 MetalGear_Ninty

That sucks Funky!

Rember guys, anybody can read these threads, and it only takes one pissed off person to report a post.

itsTolkien_time

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88 itsTolkien_time
^ MGN is right. Any MOD can delete your post for whatever reason.
Teenaged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89 Teenaged

Nay, the small sect of Cowon is the truth! The magical device which sings to my very soul has revealed it to me! Ipoders will suffer eternally in itunes playing Soulja Boi on endless repeat for they chose the apple, they cannot be saved! Sony and Zune are merely misinterpretations of the holy hymns, but they will be forgiven if they turn in their magical devices at their local holy JB Hi Fi magestore for a magical device of Cowon, for the mere sum of $300 of course, but what a small price to pay for eternal salvation!

bean-with-bacon

Funni-ly enough, "Sony" in greek means "it saves"! :o

:P

(it really does)

itsTolkien_time

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90 itsTolkien_time

What are your problems with I-pods and apple?!

The other companies I'm not sure about, but I definetely prefer them to M$ (in every way possible).

dracula_16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#91 dracula_16
Member since 2005 • 15997 Posts

Not necessarily. It'd be great if she is as much of a virulent atheist as I am, but it's fine even if she disagrees with me on everything dogma related.

Maqda7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#92 Maqda7
Member since 2008 • 3299 Posts
I'd much prefer it if she shared my athiestic believes just to avoid any major confrontations but i'm fine with any religioun as long as she's the one for me.
twilightpanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93 twilightpanda
Member since 2008 • 10607 Posts
well it depends if my partner respects my beliefs......if that partner does not then i don't think our relationship can last
foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#94 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
No, but I don't want someone who is superstitious or blindly accepts anything.

Which is why I'm with my girlfriend. I haven't determined if she "shares" my exact beliefs (which is impossible), but we are highly compatible, despite her coming from an evangelical Mennonite background. She doesn't have any predispositions about "God" (that I know of), and I would probably term her an agnostic atheist.

She isn't as well-versed in religion as I am, but she doesn't ascribe to any faith, nor does she believe anything absolutely (i.e. a gnostic atheist/theist, who believes they are somehow "right"), and she wants to raise children exactly like me; educate them in all religions and let them choose of their own accord.
domatron23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95 domatron23
It's awesome that you finally have a partner btw foxhound.
Avatar image for deactivated-5a79221380856
deactivated-5a79221380856

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96 deactivated-5a79221380856
Member since 2007 • 13125 Posts

She isn't as well-versed in religion as I am, but she doesn't ascribe to any faith, nor does she believe anything absolutely (i.e. a gnostic atheist/theist, who believes they are somehow "right"), and she wants to raise children exactly like me; educate them in all religions and let them choose of their own accord.
foxhound_fox

I don't see what's unattractive about that. If you don't think you're right, why do you believe the way you do? Is it out of blind faith?

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97 foxhound_fox

I don't see what's unattractive about that. If you don't think you're right, why do you believe the way you do? Is it out of blind faith?

Genetic_Code

There is a difference between accepting that God exists because your pastor told you the Bible says he does; and knowing that even if God exists, there is no way you can fully comprehend or understand him/her/it. That, or admitting you "don't know."
MetalGear_Ninty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98 MetalGear_Ninty
[QUOTE="Genetic_Code"]

foxhound_fox

There is a difference between accepting that God exists because your pastor told you the Bible says he does; and knowing that even if God exists, there is no way you can fully comprehend or understand him/her/it. That, or admitting you "don't know."

Holy ****, it says you're on level 1.

Either you've had a helluva lot of point losses recently, or GlitchSpot is doing what it does best i.e. glitching.

ChiliDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99 ChiliDragon
Holy ****, it says you're on level 1. Either you've had a helluva lot of point losses recently, or GlitchSpot is doing what it does best i.e. glitching.MetalGear_Ninty
One of my emblems has been randomly going missing at odd intervals for the past few days. I log in, it's gone. I check my profile again half an hour alter and its back. I think it's trying to play hide-and-seek, but isn't very good at it.
foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100 foxhound_fox
Holy ****, it says you're on level 1.

Either you've had a helluva lot of point losses recently, or GlitchSpot is doing what it does best i.e. glitching.

MetalGear_Ninty

You don't just assume its Glitchspot? :P

If I accumulated enough point-losses to be level 1 again, I would have been banned.