Bourbons3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 0

#1 Bourbons3
Member since 2003 • 24238 Posts
I'm assuming that all of the Christians here own Bibles. But how about the Atheists? Do you own a Bible, and why/why not?
Teenaged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#2 Teenaged
Member since 2007 • 31764 Posts

No I do not own a Bible.

I am sure there must still be one or more (of those tiny) copies in my parents house.

domatron23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 domatron23
Member since 2007 • 6226 Posts

Yes I do, I nicked my mum's old KJV when I moved out from home. Sure there are plenty of online Bibles such as bible gateway but it's nice to have a hard copy that you can pour through.

Here's a side question. How many atheists here have attended church before? I went for the first time a few weeks ago and while everyone was very nice and the sermon was interesting the half an hour of singing worship songs kind of killed it for me. I sat on my chair and twiddled my thumbs while everyone else was standing, felt like a complete jackass.

Teenaged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Teenaged

Yes I do, I nicked my mum's old KJV when I moved out from home. Sure there are plenty of online Bibles such as bible gateway but it's nice to have a hard copy that you can pour through.

Here's a side question. How many atheists here have attended church before? I went for the first time a few weeks ago and while everyone was very nice and the sermon was interesting the half an hour of singing worship songs kind of killed it for me. I sat on my chair and twiddled my thumbs while everyone else was standing, felt like a complete jackass.

domatron23
So this was your first time in how many years?
domatron23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 domatron23
[QUOTE="domatron23"]

Teenaged

It was my first time full stop.

Avatar image for AlternatingCaps
AlternatingCaps

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 AlternatingCaps
Member since 2007 • 1714 Posts
I think we have a New American Standard Bible collecting dust on one of our bookshelves. I'm not sure where it came from, seeing as neither of my parents is religious at all.
Bourbons3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#7 Bourbons3
Member since 2003 • 24238 Posts

domatron23
I used to go to Church as a child. It would be more tolerable if, when I had to go to a Church for certain occasions, they had Bibles in the pews, so that I could read one. It would save me taking a book with me. Or my DS. :P
Teenaged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Teenaged
[QUOTE="Teenaged"][QUOTE="domatron23"]

domatron23

Ah I just assumed that as a child your parents would have taken you at least one.
mindstorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#9 mindstorm
Member since 2003 • 15255 Posts

I'm sure this question is more directed to non-theists but I'll answer for the heck of it.  I own A LOT of Bibles...

I have 2 KJV, 1 NKJV, 3-4 NIV, 3 ESV, 1 NASB, 2 Greek, 2 Hebrew, 1 Spanish (not sure which version though), 1 Message, 1 Holman, and several more, not sure what they are.

That was only my physical copies.  I have about 10 versions on my computer, several on my ipod (including the ESV Study Bible.  So much easier to carry around on my ipod. lol).

I have also owned other Bibles but have given them away.  I've bought and given away many Bibles...

Some are study Bibles, some are big and easy to use for study, some are small and easy to carry, some are better for indepth study, some are better for quick reading, etc.

GabuEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#10 GabuEx
Member since 2006 • 36552 Posts

I own a NASB.  For any other versions I just use BibleGateway. 

ChiliDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 ChiliDragon
Member since 2006 • 8444 Posts
One Swedish Levande Bibeln, and one NIV. For all other versions, I use BibleGateway.com as well.
domatron23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 domatron23
[QUOTE="domatron23"][QUOTE="Teenaged"][QUOTE="domatron23"]

Teenaged

Ah I just assumed that as a child your parents would have taken you at least one.

Nope. Hah, I guess that means I was a bit neglected. We're prety secular out here in NZ though so I imagine that's more normal here then it might be in Greece or America.

dracula_16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#13 dracula_16
Member since 2005 • 15997 Posts

Yes I do. It's so that I can check the chapter and verse of things I see in religious threads. I don't ever plan on reading the whole thing because I am not one who enjoys boredom. Genesis and Matthew are worth reading, though.

Teenaged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Teenaged
[QUOTE="Teenaged"]Ah I just assumed that as a child your parents would have taken you at least one.domatron23

Nope. Hah, I guess that means I was a bit neglected. We're prety secular out here in NZ though so I imagine that's more normal here then it might be in Greece or America.

Yeah here they drag us to church anyway. :P Most kids are bored to go.
Lansdowne5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#15 Lansdowne5
Member since 2008 • 6015 Posts

Let's see:

1 NKJV, 6 NIV, 5 KJV, 1 LB, 1 NCV and 1 ESV -- but for reference in discussions on the internet, I almost always use Biblecc (now "Biblos") or Biblegateway. :)

EDIT: I just remembered that I've also got two children's bibles from when I was much younger (if those count :P).

Lansdowne5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Lansdowne5
Member since 2008 • 6015 Posts
[QUOTE="Teenaged"][QUOTE="domatron23"][QUOTE="Teenaged"][QUOTE="domatron23"]

domatron23

Are you? :o I didn't get that impression when I was over there.

domatron23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 domatron23
[QUOTE="domatron23"]

Nope. Hah, I guess that means I was a bit neglected. We're pretty secular out here in NZ though so I imagine that's more normal here then it might be in Greece or America.

Lansdowne5

Are you? :o I didn't get that impression when I was over there.

Maybe that's just Christchurch, the rest of NZ might be more religious. More than anything though we have the "no worries" attitude and that applies to religion.

Avatar image for MetalGear_Ninty
MetalGear_Ninty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 MetalGear_Ninty
Member since 2008 • 6337 Posts
Nope, I should probably grab myself one though.
Dr_AlanGrant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Dr_AlanGrant
Member since 2009 • 83 Posts
I have a NIV and a KJV somewhere. They are from when I went to Church as a kid. I also use Biblegateway sometimes.
Dark_Knight6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Dark_Knight6
Member since 2006 • 16619 Posts
I own an NIV Bible.  I have a hard time believing in most of it but some of the stories are quite interesting (I quite like Genesis).  I also have an app on my phone with like, 30 different versions of it. 
THUMPTABLE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#21 THUMPTABLE
Member since 2003 • 2357 Posts

domatron23

That's similar to Downunder, very secular as well.
Avatar image for itsTolkien_time
itsTolkien_time

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#22 itsTolkien_time
Member since 2009 • 2295 Posts

the half an hour of singing worship songs kind of killed it for me. I sat on my chair and twiddled my thumbs while everyone else was standing, felt like a complete jackass.

domatron23

Nope. Hah, We're prety secular out here in NZ though so I imagine that's more normal here then it might be in Greece or America.

I wouldn't call it strange. I was raised on very little church until 7th grade, when I had been in TX for two years already. There was no need to be such a party pooper at church, you know. You could've sung. That's what I did. You definitely attract less attention. But I went to a more modern church, where the songs are catchy. I do own multiple bibles, although I'm not sure of the versions. The only responsible thing to do is understand all sides of a prospective decision.
domatron23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 domatron23
[QUOTE="domatron23"]

THUMPTABLE

NZ is downunder as well. It's not like Australia owns the whole hemisphere.

twilightpanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 twilightpanda
Member since 2008 • 10607 Posts
well i own a Qur'an but that is because i am living with my parents :P
Avatar image for bean-with-bacon
bean-with-bacon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 bean-with-bacon
Member since 2008 • 2134 Posts

I don't own one myself but I think we have a couple in the bookshelf somewhere, can't say I've bothered to read much of it.

As for going to church, I went once with some friends, made me sick... Literally :P, it was really stuffy and I got light headed so I just sat outside and waited for them.

[QUOTE="THUMPTABLE"][QUOTE="domatron23"]

domatron23

Yes we do! :x

Avatar image for deactivated-5a79221380856
deactivated-5a79221380856

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 deactivated-5a79221380856
Member since 2007 • 13125 Posts
I have two NLTs and one NRSV. As for church, I used to go there every week until a year ago. I deconverted from Christianity two years ago, but I was uncomfortable with not going to church.
btaylor2404

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#27 btaylor2404
Member since 2003 • 11353 Posts
Yes, several.  One is my childhood Bible, a few newer ones and one's from family members who have passed.  I have a fairly cool wooden and brass binded one from the 17th century I bought a few years back.  I love old books.  And yes I do read my newer one from time to time.
Lonelynight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Lonelynight
Member since 2006 • 30051 Posts
I have one Chinese bible, and a NIV Chinese/Enlgish bible.
mindstorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 mindstorm

I have one Chinese bible, and a NIV Chinese/Enlgish bible.Lonelynight

This may sound slightly off-topic but you reminded me of this article I read a few days ago.  I was quite happy by the article. 

Lonelynight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Lonelynight
Kinda interesting that the Chinese government would allow that.
mindstorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 mindstorm

Kinda interesting that the Chinese government would allow that.Lonelynight

Indeed.  I was reeaaally surprised by it but I rejoice over it.  China seems to have one of the fastest growing Christian populations in the world.  From what I've been told, small portions of China has some rather harsh persecution of Christians as well as India, North Korea, and especially some Islamic countries.

Lonelynight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Lonelynight
There are not enough learders there though. And the persecution is still there but not as harsh as it was.
Maqda7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Maqda7
Member since 2008 • 3299 Posts
I own a copy I used for school. Now it's lost somewhere around the house.
Avatar image for chessmaster1989
chessmaster1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#34 chessmaster1989
Member since 2008 • 30203 Posts
Seeing as I have no real interest in reading it, I do not own one.
foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#35 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
No, I don't. I've tried reading the Bible itself, I've tried reading the Jefferson Bible... I just find it so boring. I really have no incentive to actually buy one, unless its for scholarly purposes.
MrPraline

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 MrPraline
Member since 2008 • 21351 Posts

I used to be Christian, and I never bothered to throw mine away. It's just collecting dust now. So yes, I do own one.

THUMPTABLE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 THUMPTABLE
Member since 2003 • 2357 Posts

I don't own one myself but I think we have a couple in the bookshelf somewhere, can't say I've bothered to read much of it.

As for going to church, I went once with some friends, made me sick... Literally :P, it was really stuffy and I got light headed so I just sat outside and waited for them.

[QUOTE="domatron23"][QUOTE="THUMPTABLE"][QUOTE="domatron23"]

bean-with-bacon

Yes we do! :x

Ill second that, have not heard of NZ being part of Downunder before.
Avatar image for RationalAtheist
RationalAtheist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 RationalAtheist
Member since 2007 • 4428 Posts

I can never decide which one to buy!

_Tobli_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 _Tobli_
Member since 2007 • 5733 Posts
There are several bibles in this house, but i don't consider any of them to be among my personal posessions.
FamiBox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 FamiBox
Member since 2007 • 5481 Posts
No. I'd feel kind of dirty having one in the house.
Funky_Llama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Funky_Llama
Member since 2006 • 18428 Posts
Yeah, I got one for leaving primary school and I still have it.
0Tyler0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 0Tyler0
Member since 2008 • 2602 Posts
Atheist here with a Bible
SimpJee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 SimpJee
Member since 2002 • 18309 Posts
I actually have one with my name engraved on it. I read it, mostly to get ammo for arguments, but it is an interesting read if you take it for what it is ...
BeckMall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 BeckMall
Member since 2008 • 331 Posts
Yes i do own a bible,i study at a catholic school so it's actually required :|