ChiliDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#101 ChiliDragon
Member since 2006 • 8444 Posts
okay, there is no de jure objection with respect solely to warrant, but surely we can object to Odin on the grounds that it is not justified. If we can show that it isn't justified, then we aren't even close to saying that it can possibly be warranted.danwallacefan
I certainly can, since I'm a presumptious Christan. :P The people who used to sacrifice to Odin probably saw it differently though, mainly because they believed he was a deity.
In the first part of this stanza, you understood my point. In the latter part, you abandoned this understanding by painting "a person who doesn't want to believe still won't accept yoru argument" as somehow a problem when I never tried to get people to accept that God exists.danwallacefan
No, you misunderstood my point. I'm not saying that you're trying to make someone accept that God exists. I'm saying that if someone is not willing to accept that possibility, then the phrase "if God exists, the belief in him is justified" will be met by "but since he doesn't, what's your point?"
Well there's a very simple reason why the FSM isn't a properly basic belief. It is not incorrigible, it is not self-evident, and last and most important of all we do not form belief in the flying spaghetti monster like we form beliefs about the external world (Spontaneously under certain circumstances) danwallacefan
Belief in God is self-evident? :|
Avatar image for deactivated-60f8966fb59f5
deactivated-60f8966fb59f5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#102 deactivated-60f8966fb59f5
Member since 2008 • 1719 Posts

[QUOTE="Welkabonz"]But the beliefs of those who do not believe in your God have not been shown to have 'Warrant'.danwallacefan

and?

If you have not shown that belief in God has warrant then it is not properly basic, fanofazrienoch. Hence the validity of Occam's Razor. X can mean Y if and only if X=X.

Its very hard to use induction to establish over-arching epistemological principles cuz, you know, induction assumes such principles. I trust that by identify, you mean "Observe" correct? Well try again welkabonz because you just begged the question. In trying to prove that the external world exists with evidence, you assumed that we actually see the external world.

A is A. Humans possess consciousness, which is the faculty that identifies. That which it identifies is the external / real world. This is an axiom; ontologically, you have to acknowledge it in order to disagree. While you did not explicitly disagree with 'existence exists', this is the answer to your question "How do we know that the external world exists?".

well how do we "know" that the external world exists? We know because belief in it is properly basic. Next time, try unpacking your arguments.

You indicated their validity by answering your own question.
danwallacefan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#103 danwallacefan
Member since 2008 • 2413 Posts

If you have not shown that belief in God has warrant then it is not properly basic, notconspiracy. Welkabonz

obviously with respect to warrant, but not with respect to justification.

A is A. Humans possess consciousness, which is the faculty that identifies.Welkabonz

How do you know?

That which it identifies is the external / real world. Welkabonz

How do you know?

This is an axiom; ontologically, you have to acknowledge it in order to disagree. Welkabonz

Oh my, I hope this is original and that you didn't get this from Lord Russel. 

The external world is not some axiom of logic. For all we know our minds could exhaust all reality. 

While you did not explicitly disagree with 'existence exists', this is the answer to your question "How do we know that the external world exists?". Welkabonz

Well obviously existence itself exists, but now you're just playing semantics. Perhaps I can be a bit more specific. 

how do we KNOW that our perceptual beliefs are true?

You indicated their validity by answering your own question.Welkabonz
and my point was that your method is absolutely invalid.

Teenaged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#104 Teenaged
Member since 2007 • 31764 Posts

I will answer to your previous post later or tomorrow cause its 1 am local time atm.

[QUOTE="Teenaged"]Also for the sake of clarification can you point out some other properly basic beliefs other than the belief in God?danwallacefan

"There is a computer monitor in front of my face"

"2+2=4"

"If P then Q. P, therefore Q"

So you think that those properly basic beliefs are as self evident as a belief in god?

In other words, is a belief in god as self evident as 2+2=4?

danwallacefan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#105 danwallacefan

I will answer to your previous post later or tomorrow cause its 1 am local time atm.

[QUOTE="danwallacefan"]

[QUOTE="Teenaged"]Also for the sake of clarification can you point out some other properly basic beliefs other than the belief in God?Teenaged

"2+2=4"

So you think that those properly basic beliefs are as self evident as a belief in god?

no, they are in the same class as "There is a computer monitor in front of me". They were formed just like perceptual beliefs.
Teenaged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#106 Teenaged
[QUOTE="Teenaged"]

[QUOTE="danwallacefan"]

[QUOTE="Teenaged"]Also for the sake of clarification can you point out some other properly basic beliefs other than the belief in God?danwallacefan

"2+2=4"

no, they are in the same class as "There is a computer monitor in front of me". They were formed just like perceptual beliefs.

Now I want again to ask how each of those are justified. But lets say that the first is justified due to our senses, the second due to the laws of mathematics which are stable and non-changing (I didnt understand the one with P and Q) and the belief in god can be explained/justified through several sociological/psychological explanations, right?

I have another question: is the belief of a child that a monster is hiding in the dark a properly basic belief?

danwallacefan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#107 danwallacefan
[QUOTE="danwallacefan"][QUOTE="Teenaged"]

[QUOTE="danwallacefan"]

[QUOTE="Teenaged"]Also for the sake of clarification can you point out some other properly basic beliefs other than the belief in God?Teenaged

"2+2=4"

Now I want again to ask how each of those are justified. But lets say that the first is justified due to our senses, the second due to the laws of mathematics which are stable and non-changing (I didnt understand the one with P and Q) and the belief in god can be explained/justified through several sociological/psychological explanations, right?

I have another question: is the belief of a child that a monster is hiding in the dark a properly basic belief?

they are justified due to internal grounds, not external grounds as you paint them.

And if the child forms belief in monsters under his bed spontaneously just like perceptual beliefs, then it is a properly basic belief with respect to justification. 

good thing children merely infer that monsters exist under their bead :P

Teenaged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#108 Teenaged
[QUOTE="Teenaged"][QUOTE="danwallacefan"][QUOTE="Teenaged"]

[QUOTE="danwallacefan"]

"2+2=4"

they are justified due to internal grounds, not external grounds as you paint them.

And if the child forms belief in monsters under his bed spontaneously just like perceptual beliefs, then it is a properly basic belief with respect to justification. 

(RED) Can you explain that please?
danwallacefan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#109 danwallacefan
[QUOTE="danwallacefan"][QUOTE="Teenaged"][QUOTE="danwallacefan"][QUOTE="Teenaged"]

[QUOTE="danwallacefan"]

"2+2=4"

(RED) Can you explain that please?

the factors determining our epistemic obligations are internal because only internal factors are actually accessible. You say that they are justified because they are "caused" in a way. Our belief in logic and mathematics isn't caused by these truths. Similarly, we are not justified in our perceptual beliefs because the external world causes these beliefs.
Teenaged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110 Teenaged

the factors determining our epistemic obligations are internal because only internal factors are actually accessible. You say that they are justified because they are "caused" in a way. Our belief in logic and mathematics isn't caused by these truths. Similarly, we are not justified in our perceptual beliefs because the external world causes these beliefs. danwallacefan
Yes but isnt justification the result of being able to explain why a certain belief is reached which means you have to refer to external factors?

And this where my referense to causes comes in.

Arent those external factors the cause of the properly basic beliefs?

ChiliDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#111 ChiliDragon
[QUOTE="Welkabonz"]This is an axiom; ontologically, you have to acknowledge it in order to disagree. danwallacefan

Ahem. Given that this entire thread started with you posting someone else's argument, you should perhaps not mock people for quoting someone once in a while? Tounge-in-cheek is fine, but to a point... :)
danwallacefan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112 danwallacefan

[QUOTE="danwallacefan"][QUOTE="Welkabonz"]This is an axiom; ontologically, you have to acknowledge it in order to disagree. ChiliDragon

Ahem. Given that this entire thread started with you posting someone else's argument, you should perhaps not mock people for quoting someone once in a while? Tounge-in-cheek is fine, but to a point... :)

I'm not mocking him for drawing from someone else. I'm mocking him because his arguments are absolutely terrible. I was hoping that this is original because what consequence is the musing of some gamespotter? But if he draw it from Lord Russel, well then I'd have to lose my faith in humanity because Russel is one of the foundations of modern, western philosophy. 

danwallacefan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113 danwallacefan

[QUOTE="danwallacefan"]the factors determining our epistemic obligations are internal because only internal factors are actually accessible. You say that they are justified because they are "caused" in a way. Our belief in logic and mathematics isn't caused by these truths. Similarly, we are not justified in our perceptual beliefs because the external world causes these beliefs. Teenaged

Yes but isnt justification the result of being able to explain why a certain belief is reached which means you have to refer to external factors?

no :|

To quote myself once again

This theory has been subjected to severe criticisms. First, a belief being caused by a certain truth is not sufficient for knowledge. In essence, states of affairs can cause beliefs, but in epistemically irrelevant ways.

Let's take a look at Smith. He is short, and he is a hypochondriac. Let's say that while working on his car, he suddenly grows tired, and so he goes inside and turns on the evening news where he learns about a disorder that makes people tired, and that this affects mostly short men. Suppose further that Smith does have this disorder. Smith concludes that he has this disorder. But he doesn't have knowledge because his belief was caused by his being a hypochondriac, not his disorder.

The second problem is that it is not necessary for knowledge. There are areas where we obviously have knowledge which are not caused by the state of affairs. For instance, we have knowledge of truths of mathematics, like 2+2=4, and truths of logic, like "If P then Q, P, therefore Q". But our knowledge of these truths isn't actually caused these truths, they are known simply be reflection.danwallacefan

And this where my referense to causes comes in.

Arent those external factors the cause of the properly basic beliefs?

danwallacefan
They may be caused, but this is irrelevant to whether the belief is justified.
ChiliDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114 ChiliDragon

[QUOTE="ChiliDragon"][QUOTE="danwallacefan"][QUOTE="Welkabonz"]This is an axiom; ontologically, you have to acknowledge it in order to disagree. danwallacefan

I'm not mocking him for drawing from someone else. I'm mocking him because his arguments are absolutely terrible. I was hoping that this is original because what consequence is the musing of some gamespotter? But if he draw it from Lord Russel, well then I'd have to lose my faith in humanity because Russel is one of the foundations of modern, western philosophy. 

Aaahh... okay, now that makes way more sense. My mistake. *bows* My apologies.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115 deactivated-60f8966fb59f5

obviously with respect to warrant, but not with respect to justification.

How can there be justification without evidence, mig_killer?

How do you know?

Because I identified it.

How do you know?

In order to identify, there must be something which is identified. What we identify is the external world. Sartre spoke of 'reflective consciousness', and called it the only form of consciousness; it is when 'consciousness reflects upon itself'. That is how I know that my consciousness exists. When I reflect on something else that I sense, I am reflecting upon the external world. That is how I know that the external world exists.

Oh my, I hope this is original and that you didn't get this from Lord Russel. The external world is not some axiom of logic. For all we know our minds could exhaust all reality.

It is the basis of logic -- to identify, there must be something to identify. Incidentally, it follows from the Law of Identity... I believe Aristotle came up with that one.

Well obviously existence itself exists,

Hence the axiom.

but now you're just playing semantics. Perhaps I can be a bit more specific. how do we KNOW that our perceptual beliefs are true?

Induction and deduction.... and the axiom that existence exists and The Law of Identity together form the basis of knowledge.

and my point was that your method is absolutely invalid.

Yours leaves too much up to the unkowable, mig.
danwallacefan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116 danwallacefan

How can there be justification without evidence, mig_killer? Welkabonz

Simple: The belief could be properly basic. 

Because I identified it. Welkabonz

how do you know what you're identifying?

In order to identify, there must be something which is identified. Welkabonz

so how do you know that you're identifying aything?

What we identify is the external world.Welkabonz

How do you know?

Sartre spoke of 'reflective consciousness', and called it the only form of consciousness; it is when 'consciousness reflects upon itself'.That is how I know that my consciousness exists.Welkabonz

Obviously you can be aware of incorrigible foundations, but how do you know the truth of your perceptual beliefs?

When I reflect on something else that I sense, I am reflecting upon the external world. Welkabonz

How do you know you're sensing the external world?

That is how I know that the external world exists. Welkabonz

How?

It is the basis of logic -- to identify, there must be something to identify.Welkabonz

Why?

Incidentally, it follows from the Law of Identity... I believe Aristotle came up with that one. Welkabonz

Aristotle was a crap philosopher then :P This is nothing more than fallacies of equivocation and question-begging sophistry

Hence the axiom. Welkabonz

It does not follow that our perceptual beliefs are true of course. 

Induction and deduction.... Welkabonz

There's no deductive argument for the reliability of our perceptual beliefs, and induction assumes the reliability of our perceptual beliefs.

and the axiom that existence exists and The Law of Identity together form the basis of knowledge.  Yours leaves too much up to the unkowable, mig.Welkabonz

No, not really. Particularism solves the problem of skepticism by reducing perceptual beliefs to properly basic beliefs. 

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117 deactivated-60f8966fb59f5
The reason I know has been said best in Atlas Shrugged... "Existence exists -- and the act of grasping that statement implies two corollary axioms: that something exists which one perceives and that one exists possessing consciousness, consciousness being the faculty of perceiving that which exists. If nothing exists, there can be no consciousness: a consciousness with nothing to be conscious of is a contradiction in terms. A consciousness conscious of nothing but itself is a contradiction in terms: before it could identify itself as consciousness, it had to be conscious of something. If that which you claim to perceive does not exist, what you possess is not consciousness." "Whether you know the shape of a pebble or the structure of a solar system, the axioms remain the same: that it exists and that you know it." "The task of his senses is to give him evidence of existence, but the task of identifying it belongs to his reason; his senses only tell him that something is, but what it is must be learned by his mind. All thinking is a process of identification and integration [...] the work of his mind consists of answers to a single question: What is it? His means to establish the truth of his answers is logic, and logic rests on the axiom that existence exists. Logic is the art of non-contradictory identification. [...] No concept man forms is valid unless he integrates it without contradiction into the total sum of his knowledge." "No matter how vast your knowledge or how modest, it is your own mind that has to acquire it. It is only with your own knowledge that you can deal. It is only your own knowledge that you claim to possess or ask others to consider. Your mind is your only judge of truth -- and if others dissent from your verdict, reality is the court of final appeal." If you truly think we cannot know that which we perceive, I think I know why you always argue for the necessity of the supernatural -- and why reason here is futile.
ChiliDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118 ChiliDragon
If nothing exists, there can be no consciousness: a consciousness with nothing to be conscious of is a contradiction in terms. A consciousness conscious of nothing but itself is a contradiction in terms: before it could identify itself as consciousness, it had to be conscious of something. If that which you claim to perceive does not exist, what you possess is not consciousness."Welkabonz
A consciousness can become conscious of itself, and in that way be conscious of something. It is self-aware, it is sentient. It thinks, therefore it is.
If you truly think we cannot know that which we perceive, I think I know why you always argue for the necessity of the supernatural -- and why reason here is futile.Welkabonz
I assume you have never had any kind of a hallucination then? :P Perception is not necessarily the final arbiter of what is real and what is not. Whatever is around us is being filtered through our perceptions, interpreted through our minds, and only then does it become real to us. Perception doesn't show us reality, perception creates reality. I perceive things one way, you perceive them a different way. We live in different worlds, different realities, as a result of the way our minds interpret what we see and hear differently, based on our different background experiences. Objective reality? That's debatable.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119 deactivated-60f8966fb59f5
[QUOTE="ChiliDragon"] I assume you have never had any kind of a hallucination then? :P Perception is not necessarily the final arbiter of what is real and what is not. Whatever is around us is being filtered through our perceptions, interpreted through our minds, and only then does it become real to us. Perception doesn't show us reality, perception creates reality. I perceive things one way, you perceive them a different way. We live in different worlds, different realities, as a result of the way our minds interpret what we see and hear differently, based on our different background experiences. Objective reality? That's debatable.

Yet you are able to discriminate between reality and hallucination... even if it is after the fact. ;) As per the quote above, reality is the "court of appeal" to disagreements and a contradiction indicates an error in thinking.
ChiliDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120 ChiliDragon
As per the quote above, reality is the "court of appeal" to disagreements and a contradiction indicates an error in thinking.Welkabonz
How so?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121 deactivated-60f8966fb59f5
[QUOTE="Welkabonz"]As per the quote above, reality is the "court of appeal" to disagreements and a contradiction indicates an error in thinking.ChiliDragon
How so?

If a belief contradicts further observation, there is an error in thinking -- in judgment -- either in the belief or in the observation.
ChiliDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122 ChiliDragon
[QUOTE="ChiliDragon"][QUOTE="Welkabonz"]As per the quote above, reality is the "court of appeal" to disagreements and a contradiction indicates an error in thinking.Welkabonz
How so?

If a belief contradicts further observation, there is an error in thinking -- in judgment -- either in the belief or in the observation.

Only if the observation is factually correct, which we have no way of knowing.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123 deactivated-60f8966fb59f5
[QUOTE="ChiliDragon"] Only if the observation is factually correct, which we have no way of knowing.

Yet any action or judgment taken on it requires knowledge.
Teenaged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124 Teenaged

They may be caused, but this is irrelevant to whether the belief is justified. danwallacefan
What constitutes the belief justified then?

Merely the fact that its spontaneous?

ChiliDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125 ChiliDragon
[QUOTE="Welkabonz"][QUOTE="ChiliDragon"] Only if the observation is factually correct, which we have no way of knowing.

Of course, but you still don't know if the basis of your knowledge is factually correct or not. The knowledge itself, is a different matter.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#126 deactivated-60f8966fb59f5
[QUOTE="ChiliDragon"][QUOTE="Welkabonz"][QUOTE="ChiliDragon"] Only if the observation is factually correct, which we have no way of knowing.

Of course, but you still don't know if the basis of your knowledge is factually correct or not. The knowledge itself, is a different matter.

So if we are able to find contradictions in our observations and correct them without contradiction, we do know that our observations are factually correct? You said that we could find contradictions if and only if the observation is factually correct, so if we do then we must have made a correct observation.
ChiliDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#127 ChiliDragon
So if we are able to find contradictions in our observations and correct them without contradiction, we do know that our observations are factually correct? You said that we could find contradictions if and only if the observation is factually correct, so if we do then we must have made a correct observation.Welkabonz
Only if we know the true nature of what we are observing. What an object/concept/thing truly is, is not guaranteed to be what I observe, and since what I observe is all I know, then that means it is not possibly to know if my observations are correct or not since I have nothing to compare to, to verify the accuracy of my observations. And that is the under-lying problem.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128 deactivated-60f8966fb59f5
[QUOTE="Welkabonz"]So if we are able to find contradictions in our observations and correct them without contradiction, we do know that our observations are factually correct? You said that we could find contradictions if and only if the observation is factually correct, so if we do then we must have made a correct observation.ChiliDragon
Only if we know the true nature of what we are observing. What an object/concept/thing truly is, is not guaranteed to be what I observe, and since what I observe is all I know, then that means it is not possible to know if my observations are correct or not since I have nothing to compare to, to verify the accuracy of my observations. And that is the under-lying problem.

If you have nothing else to compare to, that means that your observations are correct. Incidentally, you have nothing to compare your observations of reality with... hallucinations and dreams are identifiable. You know the difference by comparison. Every judgment you make relies on the fact that existence exists, and the idea that our reason cannot be relied upon to ascertain truth is a myth used to inculcate the concept of a 'higher authority' in people in order to make them unable to trust their judgments, leaving the world not to the unknown but to the unknowable. This is an abdication of the mind to the whims of people who claim to have a 'sixth sense' for the 'other-worldly' that somehow nullifies what our five senses and our reason can tell us about reality. A is A, man is man, and reality is reality. It is not possible to reverse the law of causality and the law of identity to your whims. This is the falsehood that the mysticism of God and socialism and subjectivism tries to perpetuate in order to cause people to surrender their judgment to the other-worldly, the "Society", and the irrational whim, respectively. I am done here; there is no arguing with the deliberately unreasonable.
ChiliDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#129 ChiliDragon
If you have nothing else to compare to, that means that your observations are correct. Welkabonz
Not necessarily. I don't think you're understanding the point I am trying to make, primarily because you are so convinced that I am wrong and that you are right, that you don't see the point of trying understand any other point of view than your own.
I am done here; there is no arguing with the deliberately unreasonable.Welkabonz
Likewise. Good riddance to you as well.